“Great break, good value for money”

LABRANDA Aqua Fun Marrakech
Ranked #127 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We paid a bit extra for a family room which has 3 king size beds with a partition sectioning off one bed. There was a dressing table, vanity table, TV, sockets, phone, fridge and plenty of wardrobe space which were all clean. Room was huge, bathroom was big too and with a massive shower which my kids liked. Balcony had a view of the Atlas mountains and had excellent air conditioning. Room was very clean but it was not luxurious (i.e. you will not get unlimited bathroom knick knacks, rugs, heavy drapes) but that is to be expected as you are in Morocco not Hyde Park, London. The Animation team were totally outstanding and kept the kids entertained (aged 8 and 5) while my husband and I enjoyed peaceful sunbathing. Mickey Mouse club offered painting, cookie making fun, kids watched a film every night outside by the pool and made lots of friends their own age. If you do not want to get involved in the action of the animation team there are plenty of quiet pools to enjoy quietly. Aqua Fun Park is outstanding with friendly life guards who are not only good at their jobs but also play with the kids a bit too. Over the Reception area is a lovely bar where they had soft sofas rugs, bar, bubble pipes and the tennis on a TV, which was lovely. There is also a bar area with Pool tables which is very luxurious too, you have to go and find these places upstairs away from the masses! Down by the pool there were drop down TVs both outside and inside the adjacent bar but nothing was very loud. Camel rides are offered just outside the complex which was great fun. Our taxi driver, Mohammad, took us to Marrakesh (on my 40th) one evening and then came and picked us up and took us back. You feel totally safe and relaxed. Food was great even for my fussy children (pizzas, nuggets, kebabs, chips, pancakes, omlettes, spag bol, mac cheese etc.) and drinks were easy to get and staff more than happy to help them out. We ate from tagines with beautiful foods to sample anyone who says otherwise does not have an educated pallet. Puddings fantastic if you can fit it in a very full tummy! Fire Show on Saturday night was fantastic followed by a pool party for those who had drunk enough. We watched people getting wet while we played cards! Area outside is very clean and pathways and areas around the pool washed daily, at night the area has charming lanterns which make it feel so relaxing. Pool filters changed every day and water levels checked daily. Cannot fault the cleanliness. We played tennis, kids played football, petanque, crazy golf etc. Playground on site gave the kids an area to let off steam before dinner each night. The Hammam massage in the spa is lovely, the beauty salon is amateurish (sorry). On site shop very handy for things you may have forgotten like an adapter plug but there are no English papers or magasines to buy (you are missing a trick there Pickalbatross!). My bed had the number 40 in petals on it with petals scattered everywhere as the staff noticed my birthday cards. I did notice that the animation team acknowledge birthdays with a cake and a big fanfare but I chose to keep my old age to myself! Nora in Customer Relations is fantastic so if you need more pillows or have a query see her, she organises everything for you. I cannot recommend this place enough, especially if you work hard, need a break from work, kids need entertaining and you just want to relax and have a drink and a bite to eat and not have to think about it too much. Animation team make the holiday as good as it is and the aqua park is the cherry on top of the cake. Excellent value for money and we very much enjoyed our stay and are looking forward to returning again.

Room Tip: Go for a family room, a little more money but plenty of space and it is away from the night life and...
6  Thank LWilcock
NORA-Guest-Relation, Responsable relations clients at LABRANDA Aqua Fun Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear l wilcock ,

A big thank you for your lovely comment .
We really appreciate the time you took to note your impressions on Tripadvisor site.
We are truly very touched that you enjoy the hotel and it's facilities throughout the attention & the service during your stay .
Your comments are greatly shared with all team ,it's a reward for our staff who strive every day to ensure you a perfect moment of your stay.
We are very proud that the Aqua Fun and its ambassadors succeed to meet all your expectations and make your stay a great break ,we look forward welcoming you back .
I will pass on your compliments to all staff of the hotel .

Kind Regards.
Nora Errahili.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,771)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My boyfriend and I booked this holiday last minute via teletext holidays and were therefore worried about what the quality of the hotel would be like. However, we were pleasantly surprised.

ARRIVAL:
Upon arrival at approximately 11.30pm, after a cramped (*coughryanaircough*) flight we were tired and hungry. The reception staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. They explained that we were required to pay VAT for each day we were staying (which we had already been informed about by doing research about the country we were visiting) which was both reasonable and expected. They gave us our all-inclusive wristbands and informed us that these included EVERYTHING. Not just selected drinks, but everything from cocktails and towel hire to visiting the adjoining aqua fun water park. How wonderful! We were able to immediately visit one of the 5(!) on site restaurants to fill our empty stomachs too!

ROOM:
Our room was clean, comfortable and included some unexpected amenities. The two single beds were practically doubles and my boyfriend and I ended up sleeping with both of us in one! There was a modern television, fridge and combination safe. Lots of hotels I have stayed in have charged for things such as safes, air conditioning and fridges; however these were all included in the price we had paid! Brilliant! We were also informed that we could bring drinks and food back to the room whenever we wanted and keep these in the fridge to consume at our leisure. There was such a laid-back and compliant feel to the hotel in this sense. The bathroom was beautifully clean with a hair dryer which had a decent strength to it (so hair didn't take half an hour to dry). We did experience problems with our key cards a few times but the hotel was quick to send someone out to rectify the problem on both occasions and it was no real inconvenience. We also found that our sliding door had a broken catch, meaning it could be opened, however the hotel, again, sent someone out immediately to rectify this problem.

FOOD:
There are 5 on-site restaurants which are all fantastic! Breakfast was generally continental but there was also hot food, some of which was local, including lots of beans. This gave the hotel an authentic feel to it. There was no bacon or "real" sausages, but what do you expect from a Muslim country? We expected this and were more than happy to respect their culture! Every morning there was plenty of choice and were staff on hand to cook fresh crepes and omelettes including ingredients of your personal choice. There was also plenty of fruit and yoghurt choices for those who prefer a light snack, rather than a huge breakfast.

Lunchtime and dinner provided delicious variety at all of the restaurants. The Italian restaurant (where breakfast is served) often had pastas, salads, paninis and other such variety. The main attraction here was the freshly made pizzas which were delicious and filling. The Moroccan restaurant offered tasty authentic food which made my boyfriend go back to it on LOTS of occasions! We especially enjoyed the spicy soup. The Indian restaurant was also fantastic with a brilliant choice of desserts and variety. There was also often a chef barbecuing meat out by the pool!

Along with the lovely breakfast, lunch and dinner courses, there was also food provided between these times. Poolside ice-cream was available between 2 and 3pm daily and pastries were available for consumption at all times in the ground floor bar. This enables you to pretty much eat ALL DAY. Fantastic for someone who loves their food like me!

DRINKS:
The choice of drinks at the hotel was not limited to the usual specific few alcoholic beverages, as I have often found at other hotels... it included EVERYTHING. Soft drinks are available from the Italian restaurant 24 hours a day (and can be taken back to your room, as I previously mentioned). Furthermore, drinks can be claimed from the poolside bars during the day (including alcohol) and during the early evening. There are obviously only local spirits and beers but they are STRONG, meaning you might need to mix them with an extra glass of mixer! However, this is a nice change from other hotels where their alcohol is often watered down and tasteless. Trust me; you can actually get merry on the drinks at this hotel! I was also not met with disapproving looks when I asked for a variety of different cocktails. Instead the bar staff made these drinks with vigour and enthusiasm, clearly pleased when I approved. There is nothing better than knowing someone cares about your opinion! Hot drinks included tea, coffee, chai, hot chocolate and occasionally lattes and mochas. The best part was that bottled water WAS FREE TOO! This was a lovely surprise, meaning you could store bottles in your fridge overnight to cool them down, or take them by the pool/out on a day trip with you. How many hotels do this?

POOLS:
With 5 different pools to choose from you, you definitely can’t complain about the pools. They were well maintained, with life guards by every one of them and free of charge comfortable sunbeds. There is a sound system and daily activities by the main pool which was entertaining, engaging and lively. However there are also pools away from the action if like myself and my boyfriend, you want to get away from the noise/children. Each poolside also had parasols made from natural materials and tables to put drinks on, as well as ashtrays for smokers. The pools were neither hot nor freezing, but a welcome and refreshing temperature when the weather got too hot and we fancied a dip. Included in your all-inclusive wristband is towel hire, therefore if you did have/want to bring a towel of your own, you could still have one by the pool. How fantastic! There was also an indoor pool, not that we had to visit it! I could not fault the pools!

STAFF:
The staff at Pikalbatros were fantastic. The reception staff were always friendly and approachable and endeavoured to rectify any problem we encountered (and there weren’t many at all). There were always plenty of staff floating around, tidying up and maintaining the excellent presentation of the restaurants during meal times. They were always helpful and willing to please. I often found my favourite drinks waiting for me when I had filled my plate because I developed a good rapport with one particular member of staff. All staff spoke fantastic English, with the exception of a few of the maintenance workers, but this was not a problem! Cleaning staff were always polite and helpful by not just leaving one toilet roll a day, but 2 or 3. They always knocked and announced themselves before entering the room which was polite and kind. Furthermore the restaurant chefs were all polite, attentive and happy to talk to you. The same could be said for the bar staff. People who have complained about rude staff must have been staying at a different hotel! And maybe they were getting back what they were giving?!

AQUA FUN PARK:
The adjoining aqua fun park is FREE for hotel members. This was a pleasant surprise, and as water parks go it was quite good. It only had a few attractions but they catered for people of all ages and all levels of adrenaline-junkie. Again, there were plenty of helpful staff here, plenty of sunbed and availability of drinks.

ENTERTAINMENT:
As entertainment goes, this hotel involved the standard evening entertainment of snake charmers, bingo, karaoke etc. During the day there was an itinerary of different activities taking place, such as aqua aerobics, water polo, step classes, football tournaments, table tennis tournaments, and much more. There was always something to do throughout the day.

ANIMATION TEAM:
The animation team were the friendly staff members who were there to make you feel comfortable during your stay and get you involved in as many activities as possible. The animation team were fantastic! They provided us with many laughs and gave us vital information about the excursions available, as well as local knowledge. I could not fault the animation team!
EXCERSIONS:
There were many excursions available to purchase at discounted prices via the animation team. Being 3 hours from the coastline means there is an excursion to the beach which is a great one for those of you who are seeking some sand as well as sun. There is also a trip to Casablanca which is one I did not do but I wish I had. My boyfriend and I did ride camels which were situated just outside the hotel and this was both cheap and worth the money as it was a 45 minute ride around the local area, rather than a 5 minute roadside walk like some places offer. We also went on the Marrakech night time tour with a member of the animation team which was amazing! If you are visiting central Marrakech you simply must do this trip as it is educational and Marrakech at night is a different world to Marrakech in the daytime. The last trip we went on was a waterfall walk. This was an all day thing and we were informed that we would see 7 different waterfalls on this walk. It was AMAZING! Completely worth the money and filled with incredible views. WARNING: Not for the faint hearted. Health and Safety isn’t considered much in Morocco therefore the walk in the mountains is somewhat risky but with our guide we were never in any real danger. The only problem was that the guide expected to be tipped, which would’ve been fine but he expected MORE than we’d given (and we gave generously!) therefore this made the end of the trip a bit awkward. But all that aside, it was a brilliant trip.

OTHER BITS:
- Doctor – There is an onsite doctor which is fantastic. I had a dicky tummy for a few days (as I always do when abroad) and the onsite doctor provided me with some Imodium FREE OF CHARGE. How many hotels would do this?! Brilliant!
- Whilst I was ill my boyfriend and a staff member brought some food back to our room wrapped over with tin foil and collected the plates afterwards. Their services were sympathetic and caring. Lovely.
- Spa – There is an onsite spa which offers some competitive prices and great treatments. Worth a visit!
- Mini golf/table tennis – These are available for free to play whenever with no deposit required in order to play. Simply ask the animation team for the clubs/bats and balls and you’re away.

When you’re reading these reviews you MUST take the negative ones with a pinch of salt (as I did) because they are mostly from people who expect far too much! This hotel caters for couples, children and pensioners alike. Give it a go and you’ll be as pleased as we were!

Room Tip: Most of the entertainment dies down by 11/12 so any room will be quiet enough for a good sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Holly S
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Myself & my friend just spend 9 days at the AFC. Overall, a pleasant experience. The animation team are amazing - they work really hard and always have energy and time for every guest. We loved the fact that they played music during the day as well!

The areas that need to be improved:
Towers!! What a hassle we had with this! On the first night we arrived we ask for extra towels, we were 2 girls in a room so of course we need 1 large towel and 1 small towel for our hair. For the next 9 days after house keeping had been we had to phone everyday for extra towels. There were 3 occasiona where we phone for towels and never got them - rather annoying!

Wasps!! You need to do something about the Wasps at the pool bar! They are a nightmare! Regular clearning of the surfaces and some wasp repellent would help minimise this problem.

The Spa - The WORST experience I have EVER had in my life! Do not waste your time or money - a real let down for the hotel! So - first of all, we turned up at our allocated time and were left waiting for 15 minutes before someone took us down (only because I asked, despite the fact I was sitting in reception in front of 2 of the staff!) The spa doesn't even have a computerised appointment system - come on!! I can schedule appointments in my phone!

We then get into the room and I'm lying there for 15 minutes before someone comes in to start my treatment! There was no communication as to how long we would have to wait, why we had to wait nothing!

Then, my treatment starts, great! However, the noise outside from other guests was unbelieveable - it's a spa, a place of quiet and relaxation - not this one! None of the staff did anything to ask the other guests to quieten down. OH yes, let's not forget that someone came into the treatment room 3 times during my treatment - very private!

I left feeling extremely annoyed, not very relaxed and very disappointed concidering that was my last day of the holiday. Who ever the manager is needs to sort it out!

Room Tip: We had a room at the back so no disturbance from the music / restaurant
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sheetal R
NORA-Guest-Relation, Responsable relations clients at LABRANDA Aqua Fun Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Sheeta13....,

First of all,thank you for posting your comment on tripadvisor.
Thank you for sharing your nice experience with us .
We are very pleased that despite some bad issues in the hotel (towels ,Wasps and the spa) we succeed to make your stay a great holiday experience .
Your feed back is a great value for us : in one hand it encourage us to keep up doing otmost to carry on providing the best quality for our entire guests ,in the other hand it push us working hard on the bad comments and improve it in order to prevent future occurence .
Please allow us to accept our sincere apologise for this and we are very sorry about the bad experience at the spa .We are highly concerned with your comments that are
receiving full attention .
We look forward to welcoming you very soon for another experience where we will be able to demonstrate to you a better service .

Thank you and kind regards.

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Arrived hour before check in time but were given drinks and seen to straight away. Went to our room and saw we had only 2 beds when we needed 3. Rang reception and said they would put extra bed in. This never happened which meant squeezing an adult into bed with another. Room tired looking, bath had a crack in and safe didn't work. Mentioned to house keeping who rang reception and said again they would send someone! I will let u figure out weather or not they came!!
On the outside it's all very clean, lovely pools, good service in food area cleaning tables all the time. Enjoyed the food good variety to suit all tastes.
This hotel would be good if it didn't have such poor rooms. I've stayed here twice now and both times there has been a problem with the room not being up to standard. If you don't mind putting up with room then rest is really good. If quality of room is really important to you then you may be disappointed!
20 minutes from airport, we hired a car which was more convenient for getting about.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank aminah m
NORA-Guest-Relation, Responsable relations clients at LABRANDA Aqua Fun Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Aminah ,

Thank you very much for your stay at the Aqua Fun and your feed back on your experience with us.
We highly appreciate your comments.
We have the big regret to know about the inconvenience you experienced with the room due to the safe and the extra bed .Please do accept our sincerest apologises for these desagreements.
Your feed back regarding these aspects are taking in consideration and checked by the head of department concerned for better sorting it .

we hope we will be welcoming you in the future for hosting you briantlly and offering you the service you deserve.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Just returned from a week in the Aqua Fun Club, the hotel was lovely although felt that the room cleaning could have been a bit better, had to wait a few evenings for clean towels etc but overall the rooms were OK. The animation team were amazing, they were on the go all day and night, cheerful and always had a smile they really made the kids holiday. The Fire Show was outstanding!!! The only real negative thing to say was the food, especially for the children. There really wasnt a great deal on offer for them other than chips, pizza and pasta. If you are taking young ones there wont be a great deal of variety for them. I know it must be hard to cater for every nationality but something needs to be done more for the children. They did have a childrens corner but with no real variety, pasta, etc. Overall had a great holiday and would probably not consider returning just because of the food for the children.

Dear Kmoranswa,

Thank you for taking time to rate us on line ,we really appreciate .
We are really very delighted to know that we have succeeded in offering you an amazing holiday.
However we are so sorry and we have the big regret that we were not able to cater all your needs and to
meet all your expectations regarding the childern food .
Your observations and remarks are on the heart of our preoccupations they are taken in consideartion and has been discussed with the senior management so as to proove you that your comments receive our full attention in order to improve the quality of our product .

Please do accept our sincerest apologises for this matter and we hope you trust us by giving us another opportunity where we can demonstatre to you dear guests the best service .

Please feel free to reach to me via my email :graquafun@pickalbatros-morocco.com

Very kind Regards.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I took 16 members of my staff here in February 2012 for a 3 day break and it was great. With it being in Feb, we were given rooms in block B and C which were large, clean odourless.
I returned with my family of 4 last week (during the half term) for a 7 night break but were on this occasion put in the rooms at the far end of the resort (rooms 4126-7 to be exact)
They were dirty, tiny, had bad sewerage problems and a broken shower.
We got moved to rooms 4202-3 which were not dirty, but had tiny bathrooms, broken showers, no WIFI connection, A/C that blew only hot air, birds nest complete with squaking chicks and wasps nest on the balcony.!!
The guy on reception (late 20's with BO) was abissmal in that when brought to his attention, he did nothing to help (all though he said he would) I think a lot of there problems can be resolved by a major overhaul of the rooms as the majority of the staff, water park, food and drinks were very good.
Make sure you visit the Souk in the daytime as is superb but dont in the evening as is a very different experience indeed !! Airport taxi should cost you no more than 500 dirhams to Aquapark. Will return to Marrakech but will be staying elsewhere

Room Tip: make sure your rooms are in blocks A, B or C until the others are refurbished

Dear Alfienand E,

We thank you for taking time to comment us on line about your recent stay with us .
On the behalf of the entire team we would like to apologise for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us .
Be sure dear guest that your comments receive our full attention ,we understand your disappointment and we realize that we have not been able to meet your expectations in the room quality and again we appologise for this disagreement ( accomodation & shower .)
This will allow us to make up for the reported inconvenience and to show our recognition for your loyalty & constructive feed back .
I will be very pleased if you if you contact me directly for a a future stay with us at: graquafun@pickalbatros-morocco.com.
We hope you will be giving us another opportunity to welcome you soon so us to demonstrate you how we care about your disatisfaction and to offer you the service you deserve.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I decided to go on holiday to Marrakech with my husband and three children as it is quite a popular destination and we have been to Morocco before. I chose the Aqua Fun Club because my children who are 10, 8 and 5 love water. I have travelled a lot with my kids and stayed in hotels in France, Tunisie, Italy, Spain, Turkey and Greece and this hotel was by far teh best one we ever stayed in. It was one of our most unforgettable family holiday. We were given two rooms because of the fact that we had more than two children. The rooms were very spacious and had pool view. The rooms were not next to each others but we did not mind as we only used the second room for sleeping as we were out all day anyway.
The food throughout our stay was excellent with a variety of oriental, continental and Asian cuisine. They had a barbecue as well almost at every meals and breakfast was just excellent with Moroccan pancakes being made in front of view. There was always plenty of food and even when we had late dinner from coming back from Town. The waiters were really good and helped to serve you or guide you when needed and were really attentive to any special requests. On one occasion we missed dinner and returned to the hotel at near midnight starving, and although the dinner service ended they happily brought us a tagine and some salads.
Everytime I requested something, like how to use the free safe, someone was sent quiet promptly to deal with our request. We requested extra pillows, we had them, we requested extra bath towels, we got them, we requested more toilet papers as my children waste half!! we got it!!
My kids got sun burn although we used 50+ protection and the hotel nurse offered us some soothing cream that did miracles. The reception staff were very friendly and professional and I would like to give a special thanks to a young girl called Fatima Zhara who made our stay even smoother.
I also used practically all the facilities of the beauty salon, I had my hair done, hammam and full body massage which was excellent.
The swimming pools were varied from deep water ones to paddling pools and the life guards were always happy to help and advise on slides.
Everyone was friendly and happy and apart from the disappointment of having to return to work, everything was really good.
Before leaving I check the reviews of the hotel and did not take any note of them as I like to see things for myself, and I am glad I did. I saw no dirty places, no loose wire or hanging sockets, I saw no dirty beds and my husband is OCD. I saw no sick people or stomach bugs, I did not see anything that may be deemed a risk to children and I work in child protection. I saw some bees around the pool but didnt see anyone getting bitten and to be honest with you Marrakech is very much surrounded by nature so I am actually glad to see some living creatures, it is natural!!!!
The entertainment was really goods with shows every nights and kids club everyday (my kids only used it twice as they preferred to be in the pool and I am never comfortable to seperate from my littles ones, and my 10 years old son thought it was for little ones, however they organise everyday activities for older children and adults which are all free like waterpolo matches, football tournaments, golf etc..... Even the holiday makers were nice saying hello when passing by and we met some lovely people from different places.
After a couple of days being there, the only think I could think about is when will we be able to return. We also met at the hotel a really nice guy who organises for you all the trips outside the hotel and was fantastic!!
What more can I say we will be back Aqua fun club and thanks again for your hospitality!!!
Malika

4  Thank Malika L
NORA-Guest-Relation, Responsable relations clients at LABRANDA Aqua Fun Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Malika ,

Thank you for your wonderful comment on Tripadvisor .
Thank you for taking time to note your impressions with Aqua Fun .
Your excellent notations regarding the hotel ,all the facilities as well as all staff are encouraging us to do utmost to keep up providing the best quality of service for our entire guest.
We are trully delighted that your experience at aqua Fun with your lovely child did meet all your expectations and that your stay in our resort was the best stay you ever had. .
Be sure dear guest that your feed back will be useful for any person looking for a nice & relaxing place into Marrakech .
We are looking forward welcoming you and your familly very soon for another great and fantastic holiday .

Thank you Mrs Malika & see you soon.

Warm Regards from Aqua Fun