“Good stay”
Review of Club Albatros

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Club Albatros
Ranked #947 of 1,133 Marrakech B&B and Inns
lowestoft
“Good stay”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 7 days we needed a good rest. I read the reviews at the beginning of August and was upbeat. Then I read the reviews just prior to our going, they were appaling. We however found the hotel very good. We went all inclusive, the food was good, drinks, good. All we really wanted was clean sheets, clean pool and ok food. We found everything to be good. The bartering outside the hotel was something else, all taxis quoted 100-200duram to go to the market. Just say the manager told us not to pay more than 25 duram, you should without any hassle get the taxi for 25duram.
Would we go back there? Yes if we really wanted a break with nothing much to do.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Plymouth
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Well first things first, when we booked we were led to believe we were off for a super luxury 5* break. I can only assume that Moroccan hotel ratings differ slightly to British ones! The reception area is extremely grand and is very convincing of a top notch Hotel with elaborate decoration and really makes you feel like you have arrived in a mystical city. The reception staff were helpful although a little grumpy but they dealt with us quickly and arranged a porter to carry our bags and escort us to our room. Unfortunately I only had large value bank notes at this point which meant i didnt want to tip the porter who left us with a disapointed mumble. Marrakech is very tip orientated so its worth making sure you have some change or smaller notes on you most of the time.

Our room was nothing special (definately not 5*), quite basic with 2 double beds, a dressing table with mirror and a large built in wardrobe. Inside the wardrobe is a safe and its worth asking the porter to explain how to set your code before he leaves as its not quite as easy as the instructions make it out to be. The major let down of our room was the bathroom, dont get me wrong, everything worked fine but it looked as if it hadnt been updated since the 1970's. Very morbid colours and a hairdryer on the wall (if you could call it that, you could dry your hair faster by getting someone to blow on it!). Theres a seperate toilet which was ok as far as toilets go!.

The room was cleaned daily and any clothes we may have left lying around were neatly folded on the bed for our return. My only complaint would be that a young cleaner comes round at approx 9am to take away your dirty towels and fresh ones arent provided until the cleaners come around later on, not a problem if you go out for the day but slighty frustrating if you just pop to breakfast and want to return for shower!.

All rooms have balconies, however, they are very small and it is literally just a 2ft platform which will fit a chair with your knees touching the railings!

The All Inclusive side is a little confusing! There are 4 restaurants at the hotel but as an AI guest you can only use 1 of them (La Bistro), the food is good although not to my taste but i have no complaints. Breakfast is good with a variation of a fried breakfast or all the ingrediants for a good continental breakfast. We didnt bother with lunch so no comments on that but at 3pm everyday a chef cooks up fresh Pizzas and burgers from the outdoor serving area which are very nice!! Most nights there are 2 or 3 meat options and a fish option plus loads of fresh salad and vegetables. The outdoor cooking area is in use most nights with the chef knocking up a variety of fresh dishes. Within the Hotel there is also a traditional Moroccan restaurant which you can use once as part of the AI package and i thoroughly reccomend it. Booking is essential as we tried to go in and sit down one evening and were told it was fully booked until the day after our departure so we ended up booking in for lunch, exactly the same meal but obviously a little earlier in the day and its not always easy to eat in the mid day sun. The food is outstanding though so well worth a visit.

The AI at the bar is very good. There are 2 bars available to AI guests and the range of drinks are what you would expect. Both bars are in close proximity to the pools which is handy and the bar staff are extremely friendly. In the smaller bar (La Charlot) there is entertainment every evening ranging from belly dancers to discos and every night there is a resident singer who is quite entertaining however she sings the same songs every night in exactly the same order!. There is a pool bar which we didnt use as its not part of the AI, this confused me as obviously you need to swim to the bar with money in your pocket in order to get a drink so unless youve got coins its pretty much out of bounds!

The pools are both very nice and are cleaned daily. Pool towels are supplied by the hotel and the guy that deals out the towels is very friendly and likes to laugh and joke with the guests.

Outside of the hotel is a whole new world.........a frightening one at first but once you get the hang of it it really is something else. The hotel is about a 20-25 minute walk from the Jamaa el Fna (market square) which is the main hub of Marrakech. During the day its a busy market square full of fresh orange juice sellers, local fruit and veg, snake charmers and a variety of odd characters. Be aware that anybody you take a picture of will expect to be paid for it! I quite quickly found myself with a Water Snake draped around my shoulders and a Cobra dancing around my feet and when my wife took a photo we were asked for money, they try to tell you how much but just give what you feel is neccesary. Another thing to be wary of are the ladies wandering around doing Henna Tattoos on ladies hands. My wife was approached and declined the offer to which the Morrocan lady carried on anyway, quite daunting to my wife as she has never been to and arabic countries before, once the lady had finished she then demanded 400 dirham which is around £35!!! I gave her 50 dirham which almost caused a full scale arguement if it hadnt been for a local man shooing her away. At night the square becomes a carnival with local people meeting up to play music, arabic story tellers and all sorts of entertainers. There are also a number of restaurants which pop up in the darker hours!

A huge majority of the locals are extremely friendly and are very proud to show you around thier city with no charge. There are guides that are reasonably priced (around 100 dirham for half a day) but to get the most out of the Souks its definately advisable to have to local knowledge. We were offered the help of a local chap who didnt want any money and even helped with the bartering process with most sellers. He told us a good rule of thumb when bartering with anyone in Marrakech is to offer a third of whatever they are asking and dont pay any more than half of their original price. The

Overall we had a fantastic time and would thoroughly recommend it to anybody, although not a place to take young children. As long as you know what to expect from the hotel you wont end up disappointed!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ZillaPhil
Salisbury Wilts
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Theres not enough space for all the negative points! Food- Horrible and it was the same food most nights! They advertise the fact they have several resteraunts yet you can only actually use 1 of them for the all inclusive package! Which wasnt actually made clear either at arrival so we had an embarrssing incident when we tried to get food in 1 of the others! Staff- Even worse! They were so rude i was refused a drink on more than 1 occassion unless i collected glasses, they were fighting openly infront of guests including children who found adults punching eachother upsetting, they stole lilo's and resold them in there shop, they were stealing from guests rooms (mobiles,camera's and making calls on mobiles without permission!) So beware of the cleaners and security guards!! You couldnt use the pool bar without paying yet i watched them go to the all inclusive buffet house to get the alcohol to serve to people!!
The receptionists were very slow and left you waiting half way through a query while they went on there break for 20 minutes. Nobody seems to speak very good english- if your not french then they dont seem at all interested in listening to what you have to say! I could go on about the bad points for this hotel for hours!!!!!!! Outside of the hotel wasnt to much better a couple in our hotel were taken by a guide to a resteraunt that he recommended the menus didnt have prices and when the bill came they got the shock of there lives! you cant take there currency into or out of the country so you have to que up at the airport for hours to get the money changed and if you have anything left after you may think you'l treat yourself to duty free..wrong! Once you've checked in you cant spend there money anymore. Beware at the market in marrakech they pull and shove you into the stands and theyve very intimidating!
IVE TRAVELLED ALL OVER THE WORLD AND IVE NEVER EVER BEEN GLAD TO BE TRAVELLING HOME! A HOLIDAY IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT I KNOW BUT IT WAS ONE THING AFTER THE OTHER WITH THIS HOTEL AND I WOULD DEFINATLY NOT RECOMMEND IT AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Room Tip: Request twin beds and they give you 2 double beds!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Clare M

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Derby
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Also posted on Albatros Gardens:

A family of four (2 adults, 2children) staying for four nights.
The first place to start is the hotel identity; it needs to get one!! We booked to go to Albatros Club on the all inclusive package, but stayed in Albatros Gardens. The whole hotel complex is under the ‘Pickalbatros’ brand and I believe ‘Club’ is for all inclusive customers and ‘Gardens’ is for B&B and half board. The allocation of rooms is on a first come first served basis so you can end up in any of the accommodation blocks. Some people moved so many times, it would seem that they had several holidays in one!! We booked through Hotels4U.com and the description stated 5*, great views of the Atlas Mountains, great location and a first class dining experience. If we take each point and add a little detail it paints a slightly different picture.
5* - I believe it is officially 4*, the hotel claims to have been renovated recently, I hope the work is guaranteed!! The Room we stayed in certainly did not meet this standard. Sockets hanging off the wall, cracks on the walls and ceilings and the bathroom needed urgent attention. On the plus side the room was cleaned every day; towels were changed every day and bottled water (one for each person, but we only ever got 3) was delivered every day. The bath plug control needed to repaired and this took 3 days to fix.
The public areas are well maintained if anything a little dated in places. The cleaners are working 24 hours a day keeping them clean. The main pool is large with a swim up bar. This is not included in the package so I see little point in having a swim-up bar as you do not go swimming with your wallet! This pool needs small cosmetic repairs to bring it up to standard. The smaller second pool is new, and is the highlight in my opinion of the hotel. It is ideal for children and young families.
The hotel complex has several on site restaurants. For all inclusive customers the dining experience is ‘La Brasserie’. The experience is ordinary, with no atmosphere or ambiance. The tables wobble a lot and the food is often only warm, unless it is one of the items cooked at the outside cooking station. The service staff are friendly and polite. We did witness an argument in the restaurant between staff, with a bit of pushing; it is hardly the image to promote! The food offered is very similar each night and some of it was very tasty. ‘Tagine’ Moroccan restaurant experience is offered for one night as part of AI package. We did not bother due to the children so cannot really comment on this. Drinks are available at two bars for AI customers. The drinks are branded and are the highlight of the AI programme. I cannot fault the drinks available. I cannot understand the reasoning in limiting AI customers to two bars. Paying customers can use any bar (same products)!
No view of the Atlas Mountains from what I could see!!! It is in a good location.
Kids club is good, but poorly promoted.
Illness does need to be mentioned as a lot of people are suffering with it. What is the cause, who knows? But I have never suffered like I have suffered here!! In fact the whole family did! Likely causes are the food, food hygiene prep or pool cleanliness? There is no sign of cleaning sprays used when tables are reset and some of the cutlery needs to be sent back to the kitchen.
Reception is challenging and disorganised, but with a smile you get through it. A few tensor barriers to segregate the queues into check-in/out and customer queries would stop the onslaught at reception.
Workmen are currently on site and it would seem management are taking steps to move the hotel forward, but at the pace it is happening will its reputation be damaged too much??? The hotel needs direction and leadership to change thinks around here. I cannot see much changing in the short term, but who knows what the future may bring. The prices paid by most reflect a good deal against the advertised hotel, but remember you are not getting what is described.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Masters-excursions
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I travelled with my husband and two children - 17 and 13. We were concerned prior to travelling due to some of the reviews but were relieved and pleasantly surprised. The Club is the smaller part of the complex, it had a lovely pool area and two bars. Soft drinks were branded, eg, coke, sprite, schweppes and the wine and spirits were also fine, They did a selection of cocktails too which were also good. Plenty of ice and the bottles kept in the fridge with huge deliveries every day. The staff were polite and friendly, cleaning and clearing the empty glasses from the outside areas as well as carrying drinks to your sun lounger for you. There was no question as to the amount of drinks ordered. The rooms were very large although could do with being updated as mentioned in some of the other reviews. Perhaps this is something they will get round to as they work their way round the complex. Beds were clean and comfy.. Meals were all in the main very large dining area although not much atmosphere. Seemed to be that people ate and then left for the bar areas around the complex. The tables outside were better. Large selection for breakfast, and lady cooking eggs and pancakes outside. Lunch and dinner big choice again but not always clear what some of the dishes were. Snack time was popular with pizza and burgers freshly made while you wait. Evening entertainment was repetitive but didn't bother us as we were usually chatting with other people anyway. The live music finished about 10.30pm. Visiting the night market is a must but not so the Menara Gardens up the road! Taxi to city was 50 dirhams and carriage ride back 100 dirhams (a brilliant experience). Think this hotel would be 4 star in England. If you have booked this hotel don't worry!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank thedeals4
England, near Cambridge
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Free wifi close to most buildings

This hotel advertised, to me was a 5 star,. Was previously the Royal Meridian a few months ago. As I write this I am sat at the Club bar by the small pool. Its part of the Albatross Grand complex. The reviews of the royal meridian still stand. Its a 3 star + at best. There have been renovations on site but the old accommodation block still needs attention. In my opinion 60% of the renovation still needs to be completed

Reception is not interested in exchanging currency or changing large denomination to smaller denominations. There is a cash machine in the lobby

Food for the "red and blue" wrist bands is the La Brasserie. I heard that over a week ago a new catering crew were shipped in from Egypt. I have no complaints over the food at all. Our small circle of friends have all had tummy upsets.

The travel agency in reception has nothing to do with the hotel

Overall the complex gives mixed messages. There appears to be different standards to the " all inclusive" package.

Comments from my 14 year old daughter

The hotel is average if I am honest. Though there is a stunning seating area with breath-taking Arabic designs and mosaics, I cannot understand why this isn't the dining hall! There is not much for a teenager to do, other than sunbath and swim in the day and hang out with one's parents in the evenings (not good!). I would like a space for teenagers to go and chill out. The pools aren't bad, just a bit cold! It is ok for a week but I think I would be bored out of my brains if I stayed for any longer. To sum up, it's ok but could be better.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Don_McLean
yarmouth england
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I could not find many reviews for the albertros club but lots for the albertros garden and Royal Mirrage which this hotel wasonce called
Just to let you know I thought they were sister hotels and run individual this is not the case they are seperate blocks in the same complex, The rooms were a nice size and had a nice views of pool, but our ist room was in the albertros club building and we were woken at 2am by loud disco music, the music was coming from the disco which is independant of the hotel but which is about 500 yrds from the block, the disco runs most nights untill 4am, we did move rooms to another block in the Albatros Gardens at 3.30am which was better the rooms in this block are also better presented and the public areas are also nicer and better presented and maintained .
you eat in the same restaurant every night except one when you can eat in the morocco restaurant we didnt get to try this .The food seemed fair at first quiet tasty but served warm not hot -buffet style, untill my husband contracted food poisoning on the second night and we had to get the doctor in the next day as he was so ill !!!!! . We were fully inclusive, drinks were warm as not a proper bar and bottles left out - ice was limited too, . This hotel in my opinion is 3 star not five Although it had some 4* features , most of the staff were pleasant and helpful AS WE CHANGED ROOMS 3 TIMES BECAUSE OF THE NOISE FROM THE DISCO once at 3.30am WE EVENTUALLY CHANGED HOTELS AS WE WOULD NOT EAT HERE BECAUSE OF THE FOOD POISONING The food is just not kept hot enough or even served hot I am in the catering business and should have known better but Hey we were on Holiday so is your brain !!!! The Pool in the Albatros Gardens was bigger but the water was not clear and the drains around the pool amaged and broken causing a tripping hazard and the lights in the pool hanging off and as all inclusive you could not use the pool bar unless you paid as with the other nicer bars in the complex we felt you were treated like cattle in the all inclusvive areas .
We moved to the Kenzi Farah Hotel just around the corner which was fantasic !!!!
Taxi from the hotel and in general cheap but agree price first, the square is about 15/20 min walk or get taxi for about 30 dhs, the square is best at night with lots to see it is cheaper to pay for your own taxi from the airport its about 60 dhs £5.00 agreed first. We enjoyed our holiday dispite being disappointed with the first hotel. TIP. when buying be prepared to barter the prices start very high best to have an idea of value first but stick to your price and walk away and often they will agree.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family