“Awesome Atmosphere, Awesome People”

Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech
Ranked #165 of 285 Speciality Lodging in Marrakech
“Awesome Atmosphere, Awesome People”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This place was so chill! The main room was really relax and the host was very friendly. The hostel is less than 10 minutes walk to the main square and medina. If you're looking for an amazing dinner or late night snack, walk to the main square where hundreds of restaurants and food carts pitch tents for the night.

The bathroom was extremely clean, except for someone mud butted in the toilet one night (lol).
The shower was hot and clean.

If you're looking for a laid back easy going kind of experience in Marrakech, Mama Marrakech is your answer.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Melbourne
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I'm afraid I didn't enjoy my stay here. There was a cockroach in my room and normally I wouldnt mind but the beds were mattresses on the floor (which I normally wouldn't mind either) so I had visions of cockroaches crawling over my face during the night. Luckily I was able to kill it so I could sleep, but I still felt uneasy incase there were any more. There seemed to be only one shower for the whole hostel, unless some rooms had ensuites. I couldn't find any more, but it didn't seem to be in constant demand so it was ok. There were lockers in the room which was good. I found the staff to be friendly, but I always felt I was interrupting their conversations with their friends whenever I needed to ask a question. As a female travelling alone in Morocco I was planning to make friends at the hostel so I could go out with other people. However, the common room was often filled with smoke and I hated the smell so I had to keep to my room and didnt end up meeting anyone to explore with. I went out by myself a few times but got so sick of the men pestering me that I ended up spending a lot more time in my room than I should have. So it wasn't the nicest stay for me. I know a lot of people enjoyed the place and looked like they were having fun though, so don't be too put off by my review, unless you're a shy female travelling alone and hates cigarette smoke :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We just loved the hostel! The atmosphere is amazing, and the hosts are too! They are very helpfull to plan your trip around marrakech.
Very cozy, the roof terrace is so comfortable and the staff is really nice.
We came back after our trip to the desert and enjoyed every minute of our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Mama Marrakech is a lovely place to stay, really has a homely vibe to it, i stayed there a week and felt like id been there much longer in comfort wise.
They are all fairly scatty but thats morocco for you! Dont go there expecting western organisation and time keeping or you wont have fun. Go with the flow and let what ever time you have there take it where it will and you will have the most amazing week!.
Best part about this hostel is the people you will meet, travellers from all over the world and truly lovely people!.
Smoking is permitted everywhere but again thats morocco, in the restaurants the bars the hostels so bare that in mind if you hate smoking morocco might not be the right place for you!
Sound travelled a lot in this Riad so an early night is wishful thinking but if you get tired there is a really quiet time in the afternoon where people often napped!
I had one of the best weeks of my life but prepare for the unexpected!

Room Tip: You get what you are given. but embrace it!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Katherine B
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights in a dorm. Compared to other hostels on basic facilities it rates ok- clean bathrooms, good sized rooms, lockers, friendly/helpful staff. I found the beds and pillows comfortable, and having the beds on the ground is actually part of the charm for me. Noise levels were a bit high- bring earplugs. This is unfortunately the case for all riad/dar type hostels in Morocco as it is impossible to keep the noise out with all rooms facing the centre area. Most people were asleep by midnight so wasn't a huge problem for us.
Big positives: 1. The price. By far the cheapest accommodation we had in Morocco, $5usd for a bed. Cannot get better value, especially given free mint tea and good breakfast (eggs, coffee, bread).
2. Excellent and safe location just on the border of the Medina, 10 mins walking to the Djeema square. Personally I wouldn't want to stay in the heart of the Medina as it's too hectic.
3. Great character and atmosphere. Nice place which attracts decent travelers.
Negatives: 1. security is a bit below average.. The luggage room is not locked and guests can come and go as they please. Entrance to the hostel is also lacking in security.
2. It is difficult to find first time (but this is true of most places in Moroccan Medinas), so you should definitely organise a pick up through the hostel; yes it's a bit overpriced (from the bus station it's 70 Dirham versus 40-50 Dirham for a taxi off the street), but at least they know where they're going, and after the first time you will easily remember the way yourself.
3. The dorm we stayed in had no hooks or furniture we could hang towels from. Small detail though!
Overall we would definitely stay here again, highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I booked 7 nights here during my stay. The layout is ideal for a hostel and the staff are friendly, organise great value trips/excursions, make good breakfast and are really welcoming. The showers are plentiful and have individual boilers to good pressure and heat.

If you're a smoker, be prepared that you won't be able to get away from it as its allowed in all areas. Also, noise travels easily so expect later nights and early rises from 7am desert tours leaving.

There were double bookings when I was here, I changed rooms a couple of times and some slept in the common area but that's Morocco - be flexible and "be like the water", go with the flow and everything will work itself out.

I had a great time - you will too if you let yourself.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank ElliottJ29
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I originally only planned to stay here for a night or two before heading north to Rabat for French lessons. In the end I stayed for two weeks. Part of the reason is because Youssef and Karim were so helpful in helping me find a cheap, good French teacher in Marrakech, and partly because you'll never find such awesome showers anywhere else in Morocco. Most other hostels use gas to heat the water, which means a pretty long wait for tepid showers, which is okay in summer, but depressing in winter. This hostel uses electric, so there is almost always enough to go around. Excellent!

Like everyone else has said, you immediately feel welcome and comfortable here. The terrace is beautiful and the hostel is set up well for interacting with other travelers. The staff are always very fun to talk to and hang out with, and Karim and Youssef really make a special effort to include people that have just arrived so that nobody feels isolated. Also, Karim makes the BEST tajines, and will always give you good recommendations, help with your French, and give you tips about fair pricing for whenever you go shopping. Avita, the cleaning lady, doesn't speak much English, but she is fun to practice French with, and she is always in a good mood.

In all, a fabulous hostel that I can't recommend highly enough. If you are staying in Marrakech, this is the place!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo