“NEVER EVER STAY HERE!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #173 of 276 Speciality Lodging in Marrakech
Maastricht, Limburg, Netherlands
“NEVER EVER STAY HERE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

A terrible place to stay in. Its very dirty with tons of bed bugs everywhere. When we wanted a refund, the staff agreed but they played a disgusting lame delay tactic. I doubt the staff even know what bed bugs are. I even heard overheard the staff offering the rooms at a cheaper price which shows zero professionalism. The tourism board should close this place down!

3 Thank na3333

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bohemia, Czech Republic
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

It was terribly messy place - they don't change any blankets or pillows after previous guests. Bad bugs - a lot, it's not worth this even if hostel is cheap. Staff was very nice, but not responsible at all; we didn't get breakfast for 3 days, even before leaving. They also promissed to order taxi to the airport for us, but noone came, so we had to catch it on our one and were almost late for plane. Never again!!!!

Room Tip: in other hostel maybe
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Wladyki
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Yes the hostel is cheap, but the bed bugs and bad experience are not worth it.
We encountered bed bugs on our first night there and promptly evacuated the room. After some discussion with the staff, we were told to come back a few days later after our desert excursion to get a full refund.
When we returned, the initially deceivingly friendly staff turned unfriendly very fast and went back on their promises to refund us, pretending not to understand us and giving fake excuses and lies to delay and eventually avoid the refund (even though we had only stayed for 1 night and paid for a full 4). They also seemed privately pleased that we were coming back repeatedly to get the refund and wasting out time, with smirks here and there when the thought we weren't looking.
Other than the bed bugs, the ground floor toilet had cockroaches crawling under the wooden boards that were peeling off the ground.
Whatever great experiences the previous reviewers had, evidently things had changed there.
Hotel Riad Mama Marrakech is somewhere I will never go back to, and will warn my friends going to Morocco against.

• Stayed May 2014
6 Thank Kelvintgl
Marrakech, Morocco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I booked Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech before I embarked on my Moroccan vacation. When I checked in, the riad seems fine. However, the first night turned out to be a complete nightmare. I woke up in the middle of the night with itches all over my body. I suspected that it was bed bugs so I moved out of my room to sleep on the couch (never a good sign when you sleep on a couch during your vacation I believe). I tried to catch a wink for a couple more hours. At about 5am, my friend woke up too with similar issues. We investigated our beds together and saw bed bugs of different sizes roaming around our pillows and bedsheets.

What made matters worse was the smug faces of the hostel staff. They refused to refund us and insisted that we stayed in another room. I find that particularly disturbing. If they can't even maintain the cleanliness of one room, I find it hard to believe that other rooms would be clean too. Every time we asked for a refund they will cook up some story that they have no money with them and that their manager would be "coming soon". They will subsequently go back and lie down on the couch with I swear a nasty smirk on their faces.

Very poor cleanliness and hospitality I have to say. Come here only if you are looking for a bad travel experience.

Room Tip: Don't come here.
4 Thank liketurquoise
Gliwice, Poland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

BE CAREFUL !!! I spent 2 nights in this place and that was the worst experience ever. The most disgusting what happend to us were BEDBUGS. Everyone in our room was bitten in many places all over the body. I talked to staff member, that we found bedbugs in our room and he showed me a bug spray, which means he knew that there is a problem and even though, we were given the room.
In every bathroom there is huge mold and you are afraid touching anything. The sink was clogged and it takes few minutes until the water drain. We had a room with private toilet but the door didn't want to close so during night we had to keep room doors open because of the smell of mold and moisture.
Generally this place is very, very dirty. There are carpets everywhere but they look like they were vacuumed ages ago.
I strongly not recommend staying in this place unless you want to be bitten by bedbug or even worse, if you take them home with your clothes.

4 Thank gliwiceTravel
Seltjarnarnes, Iceland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

At first the place looked ok, not the cleanest hostel but me and my friends didnt mind. But the day after my friend woke up with bed bugs bites all over the side of her face and all over her forearms, the bites took 2+ weeks to fade away and itched the whole time. This and the lack of cleanliness is the only bad things to say because the staff was great, really helpful and nice... but I felt an obligation to share the bed bugs part.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank AstrosE
Melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed for a few nights up on the terrace, the beds looked dodgy and certainly were. The sheets never get washed and only do once a complaint about bed bugs are made. My boyfriend was bitten at first. We got back from the sahara, staying one extra night just because it was convenient. We slept on the bottom floor this time and were both eaten alive. Its 4 days later and bites are still showing up. Not only were we bitten but two people on the second floor were bitten whilst we were gone, leaving them in a position to leave in the middle of the night.
The owner puts no money into the business, the mouldy walls and showering with cockroaches was definitely an experience. The owner couldnt have cared less and clearly dosn't want to do anything about it, im sure if he did all beds would be replaced as they certainly need to be. This place is riddled with filth. Ill give it one good thing, the tortoise's up stairs.

Room Tip: Don't sleep here. 50 Durham's a night is not worth it
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple