“Quite small and cramped, not so good if you want your own space”

and 1 more site!
Hostel Waka Waka, Marrakech
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The hostel was quite hard to find, tucked away deep in the old market section and poorly signed. The staff were friendly though there was only one main area downstairs that had wifi and a place to chill. Unfortunately with such a small area the noise from the tv clashes with the music which clashes with the conversation and makes things such as skype calls quite difficult. Additionally upon check out I received a notice that my credit card was being debited as a no show, despite the fact I arrived and shared my booking reservation with them. Not really an enjoyable experience overall.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at waka waka for two nights, with a three day visit to the Sahara in-between. This hostel exceeded my expectations beyond belief it was by far the most comfortable and hospitable hostel I have stayed in. The manager and staff were incredible host and treated us as if we were guest in their own house with constant mint tea and breakfast. They were very insightful about Marrakech and organised our desert trip very quickly. The atmosphere was the most relaxed I've ever been in for a hostel, especially the roof top at night. It is difficult to find in the medina and I would recommend reading the directions to get there instead of asking. Although some
locals are helpful, from my experience most people expect to be paid so be aware of this. Overall amazing experience with awesome people!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We got back from the sahara and came to Waka Waka for two nights, and it was such a delightful stay. The staff were very friendly, the breakfast was amazing and above all it was clean. The staff are very relaxed, on point with mint tea and lovers of shisha. Couldn't have had a better time here and met so many amazing people. The wifi is free and the nights stay is cheap, when you check out you can leave your luggage there all day and I just got the sense what whatever you asked for it was no problem for them.
Only negative is that its tricky to find - print off some good directions and enjoy!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Fabulous hostel, with very friendly staff who really know the meaning of customer service. Quirky decor, lovely atmosphere, great food, great price, superb location, free WiFi, mint tea and shisha available all day, superb roof terrace, very clean and safe.
A little hard to find initially, but friendly locals assisted us. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hostel is basically a party hostel, so if you are looking to meet other travelers, this hostel would be good for you. Almost everybody that checked into the hostel was friendly and sociable. I liked it, but there were some definite cons that made my stay not as enjoyable as I had hoped.

The reasons I gave only 3 out of 5 is because of: the late-night music, persistent smoke (I don't smoke), and the worker who hit on me. I liked the location, atmosphere and sociability.

Pros: This hostel is decently priced. I would not book on hostelbookers.com or hostelworld.com, but go to http://www.marrakechrougehostels.com/ which transfers you to http://www.freetobook.com/. The prices are cheaper (7 Euro Minimus versus 9 Euro minimum). As stated before, this hostel is very sociable. It is quite easy to meet up with fellow travelers. The staff are super friendly too, especially the older guy who works there. There is free breakfast, which consists of different types of breads, like moroccan pancakes, biscuits, flatbread and a pastry. They serve butter, honey and jam with these. You may also have eggs if you ask for them I believe. Coffee is also available in the morning. They say breakfast is served from 6:45 to 10, but every day I was there they served after 10am. You can ask for (very) sweet mint tea anytime and they will serve it to you. You are given some sweets when you check in, too. The location is good, right in the middle of the medina (old town). From there it is easy to get to the souks and all the shops. You are also able to book excursions right from the hostel and they will pick you up at the hostel. If you go on an excursion that is for more than a day, you can keep your luggage at the hostel for no charge. The cleaning service does a quick clean of the rooms everyday. The sheets on the beds aren't changed everyday, but you get a new cover sheet everyday. Free session of sheesha everyday if you like to smoke.

Cons: Despite the older guy being very outgoing and nice, he did try to hit on me... I don't think it happens to many people, but it made me feel awkward because I had already talked about my boyfriend in front of him. Because it is a party hostel, it can be difficult to go to bed early if you have to get up early the next morning. I would recommend bringing earplugs if you are planning on going to bed before midnight. They play music all the time except for prayer time and sleeping time. It can be fun, but again it can be irritating if trying to go to bed earlier. There are no lockers or any sort of place to keep valuable items here. Compared to a western country, the beds are a bit hard, but I slept on worse in Rabat Youth Hostel. The free sheesha makes it hard to get away from the smoke in the hostel. The hostel is a riad, so the common area on the first level is actually open to the air and people smoke in it. They also smoke on the roof too. Excursions seem to be more expensive if booked through the hostel. There are no grocery stores close to the hostel and the kitchen size and appliances make it difficult to cook for oneself. Most people go out to eat for all their meals because of this. There are only 3 bathrooms for the entire hostel, although it actually ended up not being too much of a problem when I was there. The worst is running to different floors in search of an open bathroom. Each bathroom has a shower and toilet in it; the top one doesn't have a sink. No air conditioning, but if you stay in the shade and wear appropriate clothing it's not a problem. Its also difficult to find, so make sure you really look at their instructions on how to get to the hostel. Otherwise, you will probably have to end up paying a guide. I also wished there were more power outlets in the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank SABinde
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have stayed in many hostels and this place has such a great, chilled atmosphere like nowhere I've stayed before. On arrival you're given mint tea and biscuits (they give you unlimited shisha and tea- it's so lovely!) and almost at once I felt at home and relaxed. There's always music playing downstairs and everyone hangs out either there or up on the rooftop terrace, which is a great place to chill at the end of a long day! As a solo traveller I found this place great because it is so easy to meet people and it's so chilled!
The hostel is about a 6 minute walk to the main square Jmaa el Fna, and once you've been there once it's pretty straight forward finding your way back to the hostel. The only thing is the hostel isn't reachable by taxi.. I got a taxi to Bab Kssour, then paid a man with a cart to take me to the hostel because it's down an alley and quite easily missed, but it's not far at all. I would recommend using the airport transfer offered by the hostel-much easier!
In the mornings you get a free breakfast, consisting of a variety of sweet breads and crepes with honey and jams. Basic, but nice. I suppose if there was one con it would be the bathrooms- there are only three, each with one toilet and shower, but I didn't have to wait for a bathroom. Not the nicest bathrooms, but it's all you need really! Would definitely recommend this hostel, especially for solo travellers!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Danielle1363
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

For the duration of my time spent in this hostel i felt like i was at home. Beautiful staff, hand on foot service 24 hours round the clock and unlimited shisha. Simply sublime. In 200 characters it would be impossible to describe the impact that characters i had the fortune to meet at this hostel will continue to have on my heart and my life.

• Stayed: May 2014