“Nightmare of a hotel! Worst of its kind”

Rose Garden Resort & Spa
Ranked #468 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We spent a week in Morocco in several cities. The stay in this resort was the ONLY black spot of our trip.
Excessively over priced to what they have to offer.
The directions were hard to find and the lady at the phone could not give any meaningful directions. Instead she kept insisting we park our car and take a local taxi! The reception staff were passive, had no motivation to connect us to any local excursions or give any suggestions.
We had foolishly decided to spend NYE party at this place which was $200/person and underwhelming food and entertainment for the cost.
There were no towels in the room, no drinking water. Upon calling for towels, they showed up after a couple of hours.
Grossly understaffed, mismanaged, expensive and uninspired staff.
Avoid avoid avoid

• Stayed: December 2012
There are newer reviews for Rose Garden Resort & Spa

Reviewed 8 January 2013

Avoid Rose Garden at all costs. For a so-called 'luxury resort', it falls flat on all aspects, from service (which by even the most meager standards was not provided) to facilities (broken showerheads, blocked drains, rooms not turned over, no wifi in rooms). In staying at the Rose Garden, you will most certainly not get your money's worth, rather, you will endure gouging at all levels (bottled water, meals, so-called 'excursions' (or, rather, an all-day taxi driver)) as well as the insults of the staff.

The 'resort' staff is horribly underpaid, or this hotel goes out of its way to hire rude, mean spirited, and stupid people. The staff are incapable of addressing simple questions such as the address of the hotel, directions to the hotel, a schedule of events, schedules and prices of excursions, directions to one's cottage, how to operate the safe in the room, and so on.

Simple expectations of a hostel or B&B are not met by Rose Garden. Bottled water is extra, costing 3 Euros per bottle). Rooms are not turned over. Towels are not provided. Nothing is communicated - in any language - without much tooth-pulling and interrogation. Any sort of follow-up requires three to four calls, appearances at reception, and other reminders, in order to elicit any action.

The resort location (address or otherwise) is not listed on GPS, so unless one knows the neighbouring establishments - such as Chez Ali or Île de Fantasie - only a few taxi drivers will know where to find it. Finding it on your own is very dodgy. This was a shocker for Morocco and the level of the resort, given that I was able to a) find as well as b) receive accurate and detailed instructions for arrival at all other places I have stayed in the two trips I have made to the country. When arriving, Rose Garden could not be found by myself or any taxi drivers I found whilst in Marrakech, and I rang the hotel. The response of the desk was "hire [another] taxi to take you here" - no address, no instructions, no mention of landmarks, nothing. When asked to speak to someone who knew what they were doing, the desk rudely and abruptly rang off.

After a harrowing experience making it to the resort (three hours late and in the dark), I was surprised to see that no one was on hand to help me with luggage. After checking in, the path to the cottage was confusing and there were no boards, landmarks or sufficient light on hand to help navigate after dusk. I needed to demand thrice that staff help me find the cottage before I could make my own way.

At that point I was not in the mood to get lost in Marrakech again, and as the resort demanded a deposit prior to booking, I was not keen to leave. I really should have left at that point.

The room was not turned over, the shower equipment was broken, the drain blocked, the safe locked out, and there were no towels in the room. There were no instructions for using any of the room's 'amenities'.

I then foolishly opted for the evening event. I was shocked to learn the price of the event was €160 per person, 1.6x the price of a similar engagement at the local 5 star restaurants. Things went quickly south from there.

The bloody staff either could not or would not tell me any details of the event, including that the event started at 8pm. I only knew it was on when I could hear the Chaabi musicians from the cottage.

The event was poorly attended, indicating that only those who had been shell shocked by Marrakesh roads and taxi drivers gouging them were staying. The quality of the event was low, from the bland and tasteless food, to the third rate and non-complimentary drink (for €160?), to the poor entertainment (low grade, and poorly paid, chaabi musicians, band, belly dancers, and fire eaters who kept asking for tips with every alternate breath).

The morning after the event, the dining hall not cleaned up from the night before. It looked like a tornado had passed through, with broken glass, drink stains, and food strewn about. There was one man that morning to serve breakfast, make coffee, squeeze orange juice, etc.. For the rates they charge, they couldn't hire some more people from town to staff meals, cleanup or anything else?

Everything, from bottled water, to hand towels, incurred extra charges - and in Euros, not dirhams. I expect for people to try to gouge me at the souk, but not at a so-called luxury resort. I would have been far better off anywhere else.

The staff at the hotel was extremely rude, uninformative and inhospitable. Asking any questions - in French or Arabic - received either no response, or opaque, conflicting information. One had to pull teeth to get the basics on anything - and that was what the staff would eventually answer. However, the staff were very spry and quick to offer excuses and demand money. They were very slow to deliver anything, and had to be chased down to do so.

This place is run by management of a devious nature, and should be shut down.

Room Tip: Simply put, find a Riad somewhere else.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Nothing works in this place! The transportation from the airport we had booked never showed up. When arriving to the hotel -late in the evening- we were told that there was no electricity or water in our room, so they would take us to an other hotel and promised to call us the next day. The other hotel was cold and simple and -of course- nobody called us. We were picked up in the end, late next afternoon, but our room still was not ready. The staff was "so sorry" but did not really show any servicemindedness. The staff, especially the ones working with room service or the bar/restaurant usually don't understand english. French did not work every time, either. Everything was very random. Ordering breakfast took 2 hours and we never got the things we ordered. There is no terrace bar or pool bar, and the "respaurant" is one room without table cloths. Instead of napkins we got a package of Kleenex on our table. The hotel is really far from Marrakech, in the middle of nowhere. Do not book this hotel -it is not worth it!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 December 2012

I stayed here with my friend during half term as we had always wanted to visit the area and shop in the souks.
My friend chose the hotel as it was in the Palmerie area and had a spa. I personally would have liked something a little nearer the medina but the hotel did offer a shuttle bus.
I liked the hotel and facilities - it was great to relax by the pool and in the spa to get away from it all and the food and service was really good. That said, we arrived during terrible rain and had organised a transfer with a company she has used before (she works in tourism) but the journey from the airport to the hotel took ages.
We'd never visited the area before so a lengthy journey in the pitch black was a little startling. I grew alarmed when our driver was ignoring signs for the Palmerie and after an unnerving ten minutes I asked him where he was going. Fortunately, I speak French and he explained the rain had caused floods which had resulted in a toad block. Sure enough, we soon saw the Police barricade and then some lights started appearing out of the desert so we knew we were heading towards a more developed area.
By the time we got to the hotel we were so relieved to be in one piece, we didn't pay much attention to the decor or set up and went straight to bed.
In the morning, we realised (by daylight) how nice the hotel was. Our room was in its own terra cotta building, beautifully decorated, spacious and clean. Views from the bathroom window showed cacti, goats etc and I really felt as if I was away from it all.
The poolside was lovely and quiet, breakfast was plentiful and staff were pleasant and answered any queries we had.
We took up the offer of the free shuttle bus and saw by day what had appeared a slightly scary and bumpy journey from the hotel.
We were at the centre of things within about 20 minutes and raring to go! The only downside to this was the shuttle bus offered two return times - one mid afternoon and one later at night. As you can't 'reserve' places we found that later at night, armed with souvenirs and leather goods, most of the hotel had opted to come back at this time. My friend and I had to squeeze in next to the driver or we would have been stuck there or left with finding a cab. However, we got back safely and after a great, hot shower we hit the sack.
The next day we did the hop-on / hop-off bus tour and travelled right round to various districts including the Palmerie which illustrated that although our hotel was gorgeous, it was a fair way from the centre.
On our ladt day we did notjing but soak ip the sun and enjoy massages in the spa. it was a great and inexpensive wind down after the hurly burly of the medina.
On reflection, I would have preferred something a little nearer to the Medina, but I can't fault the accommodation or staff.

Pros
Clean
Friendly
No gangs / stag / hens
Lovely food
Didn't feel like a 'chain' hotel

Cons
A little out of the way
Not much going on at night

Perfect for:
Sightseeing
Shopping
Relaxing

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Almijaras
Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

17 Dec 2012 Amanali
The Rose Garden Resort and Spa is truely the jewel of Marrakech. We had the most amazing time here and we would recommend to all to book their stay at this hotel. The staff were all amazing and the service was impeccable and we were lucky enough to meet the lovely owners of this hotel during our stay. The hotel is surrounded by the most beautiful majestic gardens anyone could imagine and the views were spectacular. The suites are very grand and beautifully designed. To be totally honest, the staff is what makes this hotel as they cater to your every need and are so welcoming. We recommend having the traditional hammam bath and massage in the spa as it was so tranquil and an amazing experience. We were truely sad to leave. A special thankyou to Mustapha, Mahir and Samad for ur hospitality, you really made our holiday!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Amanali
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Aman

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Amanali
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I had the most amazing experience at the Rose Garden Resort and Spa! The service was unbelievably kind and helpful. I felt very safe and taken care of during my stay. The staff organized activities and transportation for our group. I would recommend this resort!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends