“Lovely Riad, gracious hosts”

Riad La Rose Du Desert
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
“Lovely Riad, gracious hosts”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We spent one night here on our arrival in Morocco. The staff are SUPERBLY friendly and welcoming and the mint tea is the best I've ever had. The room was lovely as well. Sometimes the room wasn't as quiet as we'd like, but that's what you get with a Riad.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
NYC
Reviewed 1 April 2013

The riad is beautiful.
It's located pretty close to the main road (i.e. not so many twists and turns down alleys as other places)

toilet didn't work (big minus)
Airport pickup is a huge rip-off. I had emailed the riad about a pickup before, but since I hadn't heard anything by the time I boarded my flight, I assumed it was a no-go and was prepared to pay what I thought to be a fair price from the airport. When I arrived, it turns out that a driver was waiting for me (I see an email was sent after I departed). I asked him the price, but he wouldn't say, just saying that it would be a good price and that I would pay the hotel. I was very skeptical of that, but I felt locked into it, seeing as that he was already there. The ride ended up costing 20E (about $26 US). On the way back, I got a taxi for 90 dirham (about $10 US) and probably could have bargained for less if I were in the mood. So, I felt very taken advantaged of.

I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ese1111
Reviewed 21 March 2013 via mobile

We chose this Riad through Booking.com based on the reviews and the price. You can email ahead and arrange for a ride from the airport which is a good idea if you are unfamiliar with Marrakech. The path to get there is a little hard to navigate, with not a lot of signs. Once there we were served Moroccan tea and cookies and shown to our rooms. The rooms were spacious by European standards, clean and comfortable. Our hosts were very friendly and helpful, arranging taxis, recommending restaurants, and teaching us the ways of Moroccan bargaining. We felt very at home, and would definitely stay here again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed in this riad for 4 nights and Samira (the manager I think) was nothing more than accomodating. Upon arrival we were greeted with mint tea and biscuits and taken to our room which was clean and pleasantly decorated. Breakfast is included and sets you off for the day - which consists of pancakes, bread, coffee, mint tea and fresh orange juice. If you want more options you can pay for this but this seemed to suit me fine. The room is cleaned daily and is a peaceful quiet place (only thing it is near to the mosque so you do hear morning prayers if you are light sleeper). You do have to walk down an alleyway to get to the riad but to be honest having walked around Marrakech you pretty much have to walk down an alleyway to get in the city to anywhere and I never felt unsafe. I couldn't praise this little riad anymore - pleasant staff, clean premises, and a nice hospitable welcome. Great location to get to the key tourist areas and is in a perfect place. Definitely recommend this place and will return to stay here if I return to Marrakech. Thanks for a wonderful stay to all those in the riad.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The room was clean and the staff hospitable. The location is not as close to the center as that of other hotels but still reasonably close. A bit difficult to find and requires a short walk through a few dark alleys at night. Breakfast was OK. An excellent value for money if one is looking for budget accommodation in Marrakech.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
IOM
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Myself and my husband stay in this Riad for a short city break Mon-Fri in Feb 2013. It was excellent value for money. The Riad is in easy reach of all the sites and the staff could not be more helpful, explaining how much to pay for things and giving directions and maps. The Riad is clean with the towels changed and rooms cleaned every day. There is constant hot water (just leave it running a while first) and the breakfast was a nice start to the day.

We ate in the Riad and the food was very nice, 20 Euros each for a three course traditional home cooked Moroccan meal and a bottle of water.
I would recommend this Riad it is an excellent little place.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2013

My partner and I were nervous about choosing a riad as we are a gay couple (illegal in morroco), I checked via email and was told we would be welcome at the Riad Rose Du Desert.

Upon arrival at 7pm on Friday 8th February 2013 we were a little concerned about the location of the riad, after an interesting taxi ride from the airport we thought we were being led into a trap....... How wrong I was, how guilty I now feel :-( Ok the taxi driver charged 50Dirham too much (250D in total) and I gave our guide from the taxi drop off point at Bab Doukkala Mosque to the riad 20D as a thank you, he didn't demand the money though.

I would recommend using the riads pre arranged taxi or transfer as it could save you some Dirham. If you don't you will still be perfectly safe :-)

The staff at the riad, Samira (Manager), Youseff who appears to be assistant live in manager (always around) and two other general staff are all very friendly and willing to go out of their way to help you with directions, meals in the riad or directions!

The Riad is amazing, I would only say it gets a bit nippy at night in the rooms but it is February! And that the in Riad Drink prices are a few pence more expensive than the take aways or Cafe's. There not extremely bad points but they really are the only downs.

Please don't be concerned when you arrive about the location or getting lost etc, passage ways are a little intimidating at first but the people really are harmless and you soon find your way around from day 1!

The Riad is perfect for visiting places such at jemaa el fna, the koutoubia mosque, the souks, the walls and gates, the saadian tombs, medersa Ben youssef, badii palace, majorelle gardens and the new city! Arset moulay abdesslem aka the cyber park is perfect for a quick hours relaxing with you iPhone etc.... Wifi is free and good signal and its only a few mins away! The wifi in the riad is ok too, if it doesn't work then just get Youseff to reset the router above office door, only happened twice so far.

Happy exploring, don't forget to learn "no thank you" in French for the souks and have a good time in morroco, we have 2 nights left at the Riad Rose Du Desert.

My partner and I really will miss the Marrakech people, they have all been lovely (apart from the henna ladies on the main Jemaa El Fna square lol oh and don't fall for 400dirham monkey photos lol we paid 20Dirham in total for 9 photos and that's only because I wanted to have them taken!

• Stayed February 2013