“Generally great” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #111 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Generally great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2007

I would definitely recommend this hotel - it was immaculately clean and had a grand modern morrocan feel and we had a very pleasant stay. Initially there was some confusion as the hotel had not received payment from lastminute.com who we booked our package with and for a moment it looked like we were going to be charged again - the staff were very good about this and were able to resolve the issue although it did take a couple of days. We experienced another problem with a tour the hotel booked for us; our transport left without us (despite the fact we were waiting in the hotel reception as instructed) so they organised alternative transport but then tried to charge us for this when we had already paid the cost of the transport within the tour price. Again, this issue was resolved without incident when we explained that we were unwilling to pay the charge. Despite these minor hiccups the hotel was lovely and a great escape from the madness of the medina. The staff were friendly and helpful, the pool area was fabulous, the room was spotless and the little touches like bathrobes in the bathroom and chocolates on the pillow when we returned to our room each night made us feel very looked after.

• Liked — Clean, looks very grand, great room, lovely pool, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Trying to charge us for tour transport twice
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mr_and_Mrs_Smith_7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2007

My husband and I have spent a couple of days in the Sofitel Marrackech at the beginning of August.
The Hotel does not lack in luxury and the attention to details when it comes to decoration is amazing...a mix between modernity and tradition. A term very often associated to Morocco itself. Although the hotel lobby and other common areas were nicely decorated i have to say that I was quite disappointed with the room themselves. They were very simplisctic and some of the furnitures looked quite old and the carpet and armchairs were stained.
We arrived at 11am and were asked to be seated in one of the numerous comfortable sofas in the lobby and were treated to delicious moroccan mint tea. I found the check-in process a bit long considering there were only two people checking in at the time. Even though we filled the check-in form properly the staff kept referring to us as Mr & and Mrs Nasir (my husband's first name) It was clear that they inverted the first and last name and did not really pay attention when I was correcting them. Check in was not normally until 16pm and they asked us to wait for the room to be ready. I requested to stay in a temporary room while waiting for our room which the receptionist agreed.
When enterring the room we could not find a room service menu so called down Room service who soon delivered one... I found the menu expensive even to UK standard and very limited in choice. 1 beefburger + cheese pasta and 2 moroccan tea came at 430 dhrs. It took 50 mins and 1 phone call to have the food delivered (the person on the phone was quite impatient.The food was tasteless...
When we finally changed rooms, it took 40 mins and 2 phone calls to have our luggage delivered.
Breakfast was good but then again service was slow even though staff are friendly and helpful. selection is good.

When we were relaxing in the swimming pool, I went to the bar and asked if it was possible to be served some refreshments in the pool area. The waitress refused and offered us to take a seat in the bar instead, I explained to her that my husband was waiting for me in the pool area but we may come to the bar later. So I left to get some magazine inside the hotel and the waitress ran after me and finally agreed to serve us in the pool ( I don't know if she was doing us a favour but I found her behaviour quite strange). I explained to her that I was going to get magazines and that she can prepare the tea in the meantime and when I'll come back I'll show her where we are seated. When I came back, she asked if she could prepare the tea... So I had to wait.
On our last day, we missed breakfast times and requested to have breakfast served in the room instead as it was included in our package but the receptionist was quite hesitant. I had to call her after 10 minutes and she said that breakfast in the room would incur a charge of 150 dirham per person.
We later stayed in a Riad in the Medina, and in hinsight, if you want to experience the real Morocco, you are best to book in a riad even though knowing that you have the luxury to use the pool after a long day of sightseeing is a plus. I understand the reviews that said that the staff can be arrogant..and very french. it's true that if you don't speak either french or Moroccan it's quite difficult to get by and the staff don't make an effort at all.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank oneluckytraveler
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2007

Arrived at the hotel 10.30 am. Room wasn't ready but we were looked after very well. Reception is very impressive.. Drinks were brought to us while we waited to complete chech in. Our bags were whisked away and we went for a light breakfast. We had booked a superior room and we were pleased that we had. Our travelling companions had booked a standard room. There wasn''t a lot of difference in price but the superion room was well worth the extra few Euro. The staff were very helpful and spoke both French and English.Our room overlooked the pool and was on the 4th floor. Attention to detail was everywhere.The room had fresh flowers and a selection of nuts and fruit waiting for us. The Medina was walking distance but temps were in the 40s so we tended to take a taxi. Very cheap!
Pool area was a welcome break from the heat. Large pool with waiter service for those welcome cold drinks. Breakfast was included in the room price and was of a very high standard. Something for everyone. I would highly recommend this hotel for quality and service.

• Liked — Quality and service
  • Disliked — Air con could have been more effective
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank PJHogan
Edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2007

Arrived at the Sofitel, and was greeted by a smiling receptionist. That went down hill, she kept tapping her foot as she was waiting to show me to my room. I was putting all my paper work away. Arrived in the room, not slippers, no complimentary water. Went to the bar, the time in 22.00hrs, asked for a coffee and was told no coffee, I challenged her, this is a 5 star hotel. Same answer no coffee. Next morning had a shower, bathroom flooded. Phoned reception, was moved, complained about the tapping foot receptionist, and the no coffee waitress. Was informed someone would come and see me about this. I'm glad I never held my breath, wouldn't be here to write this revue. Did e-mail customer services, got a reply, a big sorry from her and a big sorry from the General Manager, big deal. Hoping I would not be put of from going to a Sofitel hotel again. The still never gave me an answer to my question, even though I e-mailed them again, did not even get a reply.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The staff, and the location
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dale43
Watford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2007

We have just returned from our first trip to Marrakech and spent 7 nights at this 5* hotel. Compared to other 5* hotels around the world, it is well below average. We stayed in a delux room, paying the extra and it was a complete waste of money. The whole hotel was practically empty and we were allocated the delux room having a glancing view of the pool but located next to the bar area with live jazz band playing well after 1am. Early nights were not an option because you got woken up sometimes at 1am, sometimes at 2am.
If you want to have buffet lunch then it is 420Dhirams (£25). A panini at the Oasis bar costs £10. A bottle of San Miguel costs about £4.
Beware when you get the bill! I almost got stung for a whole bottle of wine (average botle price £22) when I just had a glass. At check out you will be charged for minibar. We had two rooms and didn't even open the fridge door. We discovered that the £50 extra was for small bottles of water left on our table each day as well as the small tube of pringle crisps (We had 3 during the week). By the way, a 3.50Dhiram bottle water is served to you for 45Dhirams.
Incidentally, if you are planning to take kids to this hotel, and expect them to be entertained or even entertain themselves, forget it!. There is absolutely nothing for kids to do other then swim during the day.
Don't even think about buying cheap drinks, snacks from outside. Security is so tight, you get scanned and searched everytime; at main gate then through a metal detector and finally you are allowed through the main doors.
A la carte restaurant could only offer a plate of chips and salad as a choice for vegetarian.
Finally, I hope you can speak french because they don't undertand even the basic English. Now that is pathetic for a 5* hotel.
Marrakech itself is a lovely city with friendly people but you can do better by avoiding this hotel.

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank Akash58
Novi Sad,Serbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2007

Great experience! Wonderful hotel,and friendly people too! Just to say, when you're traveling to Morocco, have a french dictionary with you, 'cause nobody is speaking english! Honestly

• Liked — swiming pool
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2004, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2007

this looks like a 5 star, but the service is shocking. On the days we stayed out club sandwich took 2 hours to arrive and the next day an hour. the staff serve the french people first and so the english group bribed the staff with cash to get service. Even so you may have to ask 3 or 4 times on average to get a drink, or a cup to pour your breakfast into. Our arabic speaking friend in our party also heard waitings staff openily swearing at the english in arabic between themselves in the poolside bar bar.

the faciliies are great, the spa and the pool, but this is not 5 star. It is also very very expensive in the hotel - be warned!

check your hotel bill or pay cash - none of our bills matched up, some got less, some paid more. Totally random!

Stayed May 2007