“fantastic luxury room and hotel - eat/drink elsewhere”

Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa
Ranked #112 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
near london
“fantastic luxury room and hotel - eat/drink elsewhere”
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We are leaving tomorrow and have experienced a wonderfully relaxing week here. It is an oasis of calm compared to the marrakech medina. Staff excellent and very friendly, rooms large and comfortable, and pool area beautiful and luxurious. We ate at cafe blatz for breakfast (2 min walk) each day for £5 compared to £22 for hotel breakfast! and for evening meals mainly in town to enjoy the experience, although there are some very good local restaurants around the hotel. The main square in marrakech is amazing and initially quite scary-but the locals are all very friendly (with perhaps the exception of the snake charmers who damand excessive money for wrapping a snake around your neck). The atmosphere is unlike anything we have previously experienced -frantic/crazy/lively/wild/noisy/ but completely intoxicating and everytime we returned to the hotel each night thinking 'thats enough' ...we were compelled to return the following evening to try it all over again. keep an eye on your money but it seems safe as anywhere else. Always approach the locals in a friendly manner and you will invariably be met with the same in return-would recommend the hotel and the marrakech experience as definitely 'a must do experience'

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the poolside-much quieter
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NearLondonFlyingace
HamidSidine, Directeur général at Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your feedback, we are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sofitel Marrakech Lounge & Spa and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Marrakech.

Hamid Sidine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
middle england
Reviewed 29 July 2011

6 of us stayed here in three superior rooms in July 2011 and we loved our stay. The staff were very helpful and friendly. As others have commented, service by the pool was quite slow but they have addressed this and it seems quicker than previous comments. The prices by the pool were fairly steep (45 MAD = £3.80 for a bottle of water, or 60 MAD for a 330 ml Coca Cola) but they are served to your poolside chairs. The staff could not have been more helpful, and laid out towels by the pool and umbrellas etc. Pool very clean and area beautifully kept by gardeners. The rooms were big, with towels changed 2 or 3 times a day. Hotel restaurant (l'Orangerie) was expensive, around 200 MAD for a main course. Location was excellent, only a 15 minute walk to the main square and perhaps 20 minutes to the Souk. We would highly recommend the nearby restaurant, the Cafe du Marche, where we paid around 1100 MAD for 6 of us (we had no alcohol)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2011

This is a lovely hotel in a good location.
Check in was a little slow and our room wasn't ready at 6pm however we were upgraded to a junior suite for the inconvenience.
The room was large and very well furnished with a huge terrace.Hermes toiletries are provided in the junior suites.
The public areas are beautiful.
The main pool was busy and loud but the second pool area was lovely and peaceful.
Breakfast had a good selection but service could be a little slow.
Service in the bar area was extremely poor.
My main complaint about this hotel is how expensive drinks and food was.
I expect 5 star hotels to be expensive but I still think it is massively overpriced in relation to the nightly cost of the hotel.
I visited La Mamounia whilst in marrakech and was surprised to find only a slight difference in the cost of drinks between the two hotels.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ruby1971
manchester
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We only stayed for 3 nights, thank goodness, otherwise we'd have needed a 2nd mortgage! It's well-situated, not too close to the hustle and bustle of the city. We arrived late at night, they tried to fob us off with a twin room (why would we have booked a twin room as a couple?), I was not happy at all, eventually they gave in and gave us a free upgrade to a junior suite in the traditional part of the hotel. The room was nice but not amazing. It was an odd layout and there was no sink in the toilet which seems unhygienic. The bath was a bit chipped. It was nice to have Hermes products, though!

The pool area was really good - really comfy double-beds and the pool was lovely. However, the pool staff were really lazy and would stand around chatting. Not many people spoke English in the whole hotel which was pretty irritating - we got the impression that if you didn't speak French, they didn't want to know. On the Friday, we noticed a DJ setting up behind our sunbed. About 2pm, he started blasting dance music. We had to shout of the pool boys (I had to shout of one of them 5 times - he was either deliberately ignoring me, which wouldn't surprise me, or the music was so loud he couldn't hear me) and asked him to get it turned down. The DJ reluctantly turned it down slightly and as soon as we got in the pool he turned it up again. We asked time and time again for it to be turned down. Then a group of annoying French people had their own speakers next to us and started blasting their music. Again, we had to tell the pool boys to tell them to turn it down (they just kept walking past them acting like they hadn't noticed). It got to the point where we couldn't stand it anymore and I went inside and asked to speak to a manager. She did apologise and said they were trying to create a pool-party vibe. We said we could understand that if we were in Miami (which we've been to and thoroughly enjoyed - it's not that we're party-poopers) but not this hotel! We also said 2pm is far too early for that and also told her about how poor the pool staff were. She said she would take that on board.

We went out that evening and I asked the same manager if she could get us a hotel taxi (no way was I getting in one of the local tin-can taxis again!) and we waited for ages for it. She told one of the men outside to get it for us so we followed him and he tried putting us in a local taxi. I was really annoyed that we'd waited for ages when we could have just walked out and done that ourselves, she just made the excuse that English wasn't her first language. We finally got a hotel taxi (£25!!!). The driver was actually really good and guided us to the rhiad we would have otherwise struggled to find.

The biggest problem with this hotel is the cost. It is extortionate! Breakfast is £25 each - we ended up going to Le Table Du Marche around the corner which was OK (not that much cheaper, really). Lunch ended up being really expensive, e.g. Beef kebabs were £25, a can of coke was nearly a fiver. We aren't cheapskates but it really ruined our enjoyment as we had to constantly check how much things were. There were also no shops nearby so you couldn't just go out and buy some cans and bring them back - there was no room in the fridges anyways.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel, unless you don't mind being ignored and ripped off!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank classyluxury
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 July 2011

The hotel is fine. Not too far from the old city (but too far to walk in the extreme heat). There is a cafe nearby, but no other decent food. Staff was always helpful. The buffet breakfast was acceptable but nowhere close to exceptional. DO NOT EAT OUTSIDE unless you love bees. The pools were nice. I never felt the rooms were properly cleaned, but did not witness anything to support the feeling. Next time I will stay in a riad. The massages were good, but the spa was average.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kadels_s
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I don't even know where to start. I'm ctually here now for one more night and I'm trying to find a way to check out early due to the lack of service here.

First the good things so I'm not completely bashing the place. We are in a superior room so the size and location are nice. Also the size of the pool and lounge searing are plentiful and relaxing. Ok. That's about it.

Reasons why I wouldn't recommend this place to anybody:

- when we came to check in we got here early at 1230. They didn't have a room ready Whig was understandable since check in is at 3. But the manager came out and said that we can have lunch and come back as our rooms would be ready at "3". When 3 came around they didn't have rooms ready so my husband asked for the manager- they stalled and finally he came out and said "remember I said 3 or later". First off she didn't say that and neither does our hotel confirmation. They ended up scurrying and giving us the first 2 rooms that were ready (we are a party of 3).

Second= the pool was amazing. And the fact that they had a spa was the reason we chose this hotel amongst the Riyadhs. I love going into the spa at night or when it starts to get cooler. Oh don't get me started- this spa was a good size and appeared as a spa with the signs that sai no children and it appeared that there were jets for bubbles- but the spa was the same temperature as the pool at ALL times. We asked the staff to turn on the bubbles and heat and they turned on the bubbles for 3-5 minutes which it would automatically turn off. It NEVER got warm. When we asked about the heat they said that they only heat it up in the winter. The next day we were in the spa and it was cooler and other people were asking for heat- we asked for the manager and the same one from the day before came out with her greeting as "remember meeeeee?". I didn't know how to read her obnoxious comment but after asking her for the heat she flat out said no and that the spa does not have the ability to be heated. I find. This hard to believe since the last guy said they only heat it in the winter. I don't like being lied to. Then she said assured me that all jacuzzis are cold basically calling me crazy. I decide to not use the facility anymore and go back to the room about 10 minutes later. She apparently was watching me and came running after me offering access foe 2 of our 3 guests access to their spa where they have a hot tub. I thought that it was rude that she would split up our party even after I mentioned we were a party of 3 adults. Then she offered me to go to the managers bar and have a drink and "think about it". Thy was my last straw. Alcohol or unlomited soft drinks is not going to change how I feel to split up my party. Also there were kids in the spa the entire time- I have wonderful picture of it I will display when I get to the states.

Next complaint is very few people here speak English or Arabic for that matter. French is the main language. We attempted to call the concierge to find out how to retrieve phone messages. We got transferred to housekeeping, the restaurant and the spa just because nobody speaks English. When we finally retrieved our phone message it was my family expressing concern whether I was even there. They had a difficult time reaching our room- A half hour on their dime. For a 5 star hotel they should have somebody who speaks english available at all times.

Lastly I'm having breakfast now that's costing an arm and a leg for a Buffett when I know I am not going to eat that much. They told me to go to the cafe terrace as I can order a la carte. I walked there with my friend and the staff were talking to their friends for a good 5 minutes before helping us. We looked at their pastries on display in their glass case which I will post a picture of- and the pastries were SWARMED with bees (which I'm allergic). When somebody came to help us I asked what was on their menu an they mentioned the pastries- I asked the "ones in there with the bees on it???". Her reply was simple "if that bothers you, I can go to the kitchen and get you another one.". Really?????? Gross! Definitely not 5 star quality.

Needless to say I'm unhappy with this hotel. I've jotted down the general manager's name and will be writing a detailed letter as soon as I get home. Their managers are worthless so I'm hoping he may he a tad bit better. Whatever you do- avoid this hotel at all costs - you're wasting your money.

• Stayed July 2011
7 Thank TravelDoctor1
manchester England
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We went to this hotel in November to celebrate a special birthday, and I'm very glad we did. Only a 15 minute walk from Jemaa el Fnaa square and most of the other attrractions this was very conveniently located. The rooms were large with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, and the decor and atmosphere of the hotel was lovely. From the moment you enter into the hotel lobby, with its rose scented fountain and your welcoming glass of mint tea served by silk turban clad waiters, you feel as if you are somewhere special. The pool area is beautiful, with intermittent "fountains" in one of the two large pools and an array of different sun bathing possibilities; hammocks, big double beds, four posters and the usual suns loungers. Towels are brought to you by the kaftan wearing attendants and are on hand for a drink from the bar. The only thing I would complain about is the bar area, which lacked atmosphere and was expensive. There was entertainment in the form of a group one night, but it finished rather early, and the bar became empty as a result. Apart from this, would highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple