“Only book this hotel if you get a great rate!”

Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa
Ranked #112 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Only book this hotel if you get a great rate!”
Reviewed 24 June 2008

We regularly stay in Sofitel hotels in different countries, and were disappointed by the Sofitel Marrakech. It is not up to the usual Sofitel standard.

We were impressed by the standard of customer service - staff were very polite, particularly the doormen. We also loved the fact that the hotel was filled with the scent of fleur d'oranger in the evenings.

What we didn't like was that the room's decor was dated. The thick carpet felt dusty as did the beds (we were constantly sneezing). We were also quite shocked to find that the doors linking our room to our neighbours' were not locked, meaning that we could walk from our room to the next! The sound proofing was poor, we could hear everything going on in the next room.

Nice fitness centre, but it is a shame that you need to pay extra to use the hammam.

Breakfast buffet is OK, but not great for a Sofitel.

• Liked — Location - near the old town
  • Disliked — Dusty room
2 Thank cbss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Portugal
Reviewed 25 May 2008

We are Sofitel Privalage card holders and I have to say I have rarely felt less privalaged! I find the reviews here staggering in their praise of this Hotel which frankly we couldn't wait to leave.I would recommend reading "kceese's" review "unbiased review" - rather than repeat it all I would just add from our own experience.

We had stayed at a Riad for our first 5 days then after a trip south had wanted a calm hotel outside of the Medina. The Sofitel seemed the best and obvious choice. We found the reception on arrival so unhelpful it bordered on downright rudeness. The room was okay but not great, the hotel is large with lot's of facilities buit the overall manner of the staff really lets it down. All were curt, preoccupied with talking to other staff members and generally unhelpful. Breakfast was fabulous - I ordered tea, it didn't come, I asked again (nicely!!) and had two pot's of water slammed on the table so the water flew out of the spouts. The waiter then started a heated argument with a collegue who reprimanded him right in the middle of the breakfast room. A manager was standing nearby - didn't say a word. That summed the hotel up for me. We moved to the Meridian which possibly wasn't as smart but the staff were a delight. Frankly I'd choose one of the wonderful Riads (we had stayed in La Sultana for our first few days-superb) or if you want a Hotel stay at the Meridian next door.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank BoavistaPortugal
Nottingham
Reviewed 12 May 2008

We stayed here on our first night and were very pleased we did. We arrived at about 9.30 a.m and our room was ready - standard double with a view over the gardens and pond - not the best view but as we weren't staying in our room all the time, this was not a problem. Room was nice and big and very clean with a lovely bathroom. The pool is great although there were a lot of families with children which made it very noisy and a bit hectic in the pool. The gardens of the hotel are beautiful and there are plenty of shade spots. The bars and seating areas are plentiful and the hotel complex itself is very big so it feels very spacious and not too crowded. The staff are all very professional, helpful and friendly. We were greeted with mint tea and moroccan pastries which was a nice touch. The hotel is located in the new district so its about 20 mins to the old part and the medina. Lots of lovely restaurants and bars within and around the hotel. The breakfast was great - continental buffet style as well as hot cooked food - definitely worth it if you fill up on it as you won't need lunch. If we visit Marrakech again, we will definitely stay here.

• Liked — The luxuriousness
  • Disliked — The noisy children
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travelpony
sallywSallyw
Reviewed 23 April 2008

We thought we would pay a visit to this hotel during our stay in Morocco and I believe it is the best in Marrakech.

Fabulous reception areas with really friendly well trained staff. We had lunch here by the pool and it was lovely. Good value considering he luxe surroundings and I had a salad nicoise with bread that was too big to finish.

Had mint tea on the terrace which has numerous comfy chairs and a real no hurry atmosphere.

We sat and listened to the musician in the main reception and we were given more tea - free to all this time.

As we were leaving we were stopped by the manager who kindly offered to show us the whole hotel and send me some special offers by email. He was so nice, unpretentious and keen for us to go again. We saw the stunning therapy areas, but not sure if it is extra to use the pool - which looks fantastic.

We decided to return later on and had drinks in the bar, where we were entertained by different jazz musicians.

Lovely ambiance and will definately go back and stay there if the price is right.

• Liked — The outside areas
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sallywSallyw
London
Reviewed 22 April 2008

As per other recent reviews I would agree that this hotel has sorted the problems discussed in more distant reviews. The check in process is personal and perfect. Checkout also speedy. The public areas of the hotel are wonderful and spacious. The large pool was a bit cold but it was still early march. The hotel is situated close enough to the Medina and square to walk very easily but far enough away to avoid the hustle and bustle there. It's a 15 min very easy walk.
Petit taxis from outside the hotel seem to be an absolute rip-off so do persist with haggling for a fair price. The taxi to airport started at dm150 and ended up paying dm20. Better still insist on the meter.
The restaurant areas are very nice but high prices for good quality. The breakfast buffet was operating stretched but efficiently at full hotel capacity. Wide choice of foods available.
Searches were not made at the entry as other reviews suggest though there was a always many security at door and gates.
We had a suite which was most spacious bedroom / living area / bathroom and reception area. Storage facilities everywhere.
Only criticism of room as per usual with accor hotels is choice of tv. 2 english channel only both news. Very poor!!!
Pool bar staff attentive. Bar staff just outside of main hotel area could be more speedy and acknowledge those waiting.
Tip when eating out. Dont drink the water except when bottled and avoid salads. Cooked food only.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — bar prices
  • Stayed March 2008
2 Thank STEVEFR
Kent, UK
Reviewed 17 April 2008

Would love to see where some of the doommongers on here usually stay. We didnt actually stay here because of the reviews, (thanks for nothing guys) however we did pop along for a 3 hour session twice on their fabulous terrace and pool bar. Ive stayed in some lovely hotels for both work and not and this looks 5 star all the way to me-certainly in the areas I could see. It was very, very clean too.. They dont got for fancy bathroom products in Morocco

All I can say is that I thought public areas were amazingly gorgeous, beautiful terraces and pools and the service was excellent even if it was just beers (came with lovely nuts and olives etc) and a smile. Had a look at pool bar venue-pretty pricey certainly, but you dont have to eat there, its not compulsory and the location was lovely.

To the person who said it wasnt convenient, it was the most convenient hotel there was! short of staying in the medina . Must have been a 10-15 minute walk at the most to the square if you wanted to go there and 2 minutes in a cab.

Lovely gardens too.

We did 2 nights in a Riad and 5 nights in a hotel (Kenzi Farah) and personally and I know its not fashionable to say so but I preferred the hotel as not that keen on dark and empty alleys late at night.

I would undoubtedly stay here next time we visit and unless the rooms are truly dismal and I doubt it then I am sure we will enjoy it. I think a few people have a crap holiday for all sorts of reasons-bad weather, relationships, unrealistic expectations not pertinent to the countries they are going to and then take some very minor stuff out on some of the hotels..

I always book independently-specify a room (ie 4th floor overlooking pool or sea etc, pay accordingly, ask them to confirm this, print it off and take it with me and have never had an issue with it.

I do feel for the couple though who have had problems on being charged. Claim a refund from your card providers surely and say it was an unauthorised payment as you must have copies of any correpondence sent. Failing that, find out who does Sofitels PR in the UK (search via the web) and let them know what you think and that you will be sending a piece into the holiday nightmare section in the Sunday Times.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank EsotericKent_UK
Hong Kong
Reviewed 21 March 2008

I am going to be as objective as I can in this review. Many of the reviews below are pretty one-sided and I am going to explain my side of the story. The hotel is not all that good, but is not all that bad.
I hope you find my review helpful in making hotel selection in the future

First.. the pros

= Wonderful exterior
= beautiful swimming pool (but I didn't swim in it)
= Wonderful and helpful conceige
r= full service cashier (note that you cannot exchange anything from Dirhams to other currency in the hotel)
= Good restaurant selection
= Well equipped and helpful business center
= Clean interior
= Nice and modern shower with strong showerhead
= On-time room service
= Mint tea on arrival
= chocolates and rose pedals on bed during turndown
Now, the not so goods, or the cons

= Standard rooms have a not-so-pleasant view. So try to stay in Deluxe or Superior rooms if you can
= Many of the staff, particular House Keeping and Room Service staff do not speak good English, and you may need to repeat what you say
= Slow, very slow service. I asked for a razor and shaving cream to be delivered since BA lost my bags. They were very nice and said Yes, no problem. But 45 minutes and no one arrived. I called again, and they said, sure it will be up soon. 45 minutes later no one arrived. I got tired and just didn't shave that night. My friends asked for some slippers, and it took then 45 minutes to bring them up
= Air conditioning does not work in some rooms, so please beware. It worked perfectly in my room, but it didn't work in my friends room (it became very hot)
= Room service menu is misleading. Even though continental breakfast is listed as 150 dirhams on the menu, there is actually a hidden 100 dirham delivery fee that is unstated, so the total ended up being 250.
= Also, the poor Enlgish of room service staff actually misinterpreted my order. I asked for omlets and tea (should have cost 135 dirhams). However, they brought the entire continental breakfast set plus the omelts (345 dirhams). Apparently, you cannot order just the omlets. You have to order the entire continental breakfast set as a minimum, and all other orders are additionals. No one informed me this, not even the menu or when I placed my order. So please beware of this. Of course this probably won't apply to you if you can speak French or arabic.
= Conciege may not know everything. They don't know about overnight Sahara desert trips. But they do exist and I STRONGLY RECOMMEND IT. Go to an overnight Sahara desert trip with camel ride. It is SO FUN!!
= No internet available in room, which is really unacceptable
= Business center suppose to open at 7am, but when I was there at 7:30am, no one was there.
= food prices in the 1/F main restaurant were very expensive and were very small portions, even if they tasted really good. Also, some of the menus do not have prices on them, so please beware.
= Water in restaurant cost 45 dirhams, compared to 5 dirhams outside.
= Contrary to outer reviews, they is NO CHARGE for water in room, which is two bottles every day.
= Contrary to other review, security DOES NOT confiscate if you bring water from outside.
= the speed dial on telephones do not work. Even if there is a button labeled as Conceige, it does not work.
= Lights in the room may not be adequate
= bedding and pillows may be a little firm
= I am not sure, but I don't think they offer double bed in many rooms,

Overall, you are probably better off staying in a raid for the more local flavor. I do enjoy the concerige and hospitality of the staff in Sofitel. The room prices are reasonable (I paid under USD180 for each night) and the rooms are pretty neat. I would recommend Sofitel if you don't want to stay in a raid.

Stayed March 2008