“Nice hotel, stupidly expensive drinks: can of coke £4!!”

Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa
Ranked #113 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The Sofitel Marrakech is in a great location, just outside of the old Medina (10-15 min walk into the market and souks) The Hotel itself is beautiful, and is pretty clean and well kept with really nice room and a great swimming pool.
The food and drinks inside of the hotel and at the pool bar are so expensive that it basically means you cannot enjoy a day of sitting around the pool with a few drinks. A small bottle of Heineken was £5, a cocktail was about £12, single JD, Baileys etc was £10 and a can of coke was £4! these prices are far too high - the hotel isn't nice enough to charge those kind of prices!
The staff were all friendly and polite, but completely useless! I found you had to ask on average 2 members of staff each time you wanted something as the first one would inevitably forget, or take an age to come back to you.
Staff never acknowledge the customers, this may be a cultural thing, but just comes across as very rude. They will chat amongst themselves, or just walk off, even with customers clearly waiting and wanting to talk to them. If you say "excuse me" then they will be courteous and friendly, but they should acknowledge the customers - and don't!
The buffet Breakfast is the best I've had at any hotel!
Reduce the bar/resturant prices a bit so they're realistic, train the stuff in some customer service, and this place would be amazing!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank steve s
Write a ReviewReviews (2,927)

Reviewed 3 September 2013

The hotel was very clean and the staff were very friendly. The food was as expected, nice to try different food and very nice not to have to see chips! The decor was lovely and our room was very nicely done. All the staff were very kind and very helpful.
A must is the market and learning all about herbs and how they help any ailments!
Only downside was seeing all the baby cats running for lives over the roads everyday but that doesn't affect the hotel itself. Would defiantly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The Sofitel is nothing short of fantastic in many ways.
Ive stayed here with my wife and one year daughter and had a blast of a family holiday, the hotel is a heaven sanctuary away from the old town madness and is perfectly located for Marrakech exploring merely 10-15 mins to major sites.
The Sofitel covered all our needs when we wanted to stay in with it fantastic pool, gardens and facilities ( Inc a state of arts spa& gym).
Most of all, this review is not complete without a special mention to the brilliant staff who work there. A special mention has to go to Fatima Elzahra whom we a great bond with. Fatima looked after us during breakfasts and I have to say she provided the best and utmost care and attention I’ve ever experienced in my travels, to add to her personal touch and care of our little one who took no time to developed a great personal affinity with Fatima. A million thanks to Fatima for great hospitality and unravelled care and attention to us. Also to her lovely and well trained colleagues : Aziza, Hossni, Hicham Ruchuidam Jawad & Qwan Ji.

If you are reading this review with a view of visiting the Sofitel Spa and Lounge Marrakech, one thing I’d say : GO FOR IT !

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013

It's a great luxury hotel with very kind and helpful staff.
the swimming pool was one of the best,great surroundings and pure luxury. Included the cosy lounge area!
Overall I was very pleased with the hotel. The hotel is beautiful and the main rooms are very impressive. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Loved the Junior Suite!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2013

First impression: the reception for checking in is badly run and not very efficient. There are two desks. I went to the large one and was told to take a seat and someone would come and see to me. Half an hour later after having seen no one, I went up to the big desk again and asked another lady who told me I had to go to the other (small desk) to check in!

So I went to the other desk – lots of people milling around. Eventually a young man attended to me and asked me to take a seat. I was brought a cup of warm Moroccan tea and all the paperwork to fill in (register, passport, credit card etc) to be told after half an hour that I was too early to check in (which I knew but sometimes rooms are ready early)! I waited but had to remind the young man to let me know when my room was ready, which he eventually did.

The bedroom was lovely and large with a big sunny terrace which had a sun bed but unfortunately the cushions were covered in bird droppings.

The bed was so very comfortable and the pillows too. The bathroom was very large with nice Lanvin products, and there were two hair dryers. The room had a Bose radio with an iPod attachment but I couldn’t get my iPod to function.

I had to leave early at 6.00am the next day and had to wait for someone to come on duty so I could pay the bill. There was a tray of coffee and orange juice on the side which was a nice idea, but I didn’t have time to have any.

The drinks prices were steep but there is a lovely garden by the pool.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We really enjoyed our stay in the sofitel. It's a great luxury hotel with very kind and helpful staff. We especially enjoyed the service at breakfast of Rachida, Fatima Zahra, Roche, Hicham and Querfi.
Always helpful and with a smile on their face - that's the way they made us enjoy our stay even more!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 28 August 2013

It was a very interesting experience as the swimming pool was one of the best I ever seen,great surroundings and pure luxury. Refreshments and snacks around are way too expensive though! But overall great experience.

• Stayed: June 2013