“Take the good with the bad?”

Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa
Ranked #114 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Sydney
“Take the good with the bad?”
Reviewed 11 July 2008

Only stay in this hotel if you get a discounted rate. We stayed in a Deluxe room, and concur with other recent reviews... the room was dated, the carpet faded, the furniture stained. And the noise from the Hotel's bar (even after midnight) was a real problem for us trying to get to sleep. Our television picture was far from clear, and despite politely advising the concierge, this was not corrected. The doormen here are really polite and friendly, but I dont recommend asking the concierge for help or advice. He is arrogant and only interested in up-selling you onto some kind of tour deal..possibly because there's a commission in it for him. His advice left me feeling uncomfortable, and I felt treated like an idiot. He is not an asset to Sofitel, by any means. He is condescending in manner, and borderline rude. The pool is nice, but nowhere near as amazing as the marketing photos would lead you to beleive. The room was big, but I am not sure how a deluxe differs to a standard... dont bother upgrading your room type. The fridge was old and barely worked at cooling down anything. I wouldnt stay here again, and have been really turned off Accor Hotels after my recent round-world trip... they just dont compare to smaller chains, and independants.I definately didnt feel treated like a valued guest here at the Sofitel. I stayed at Le Meridien on my last night in Marrakech... and while the service is more relaxed, I enjoyed it much more than the Sofitel.

• Liked — The bed was big, and comfortable
  • Disliked — Arrogant concierge, tired decor in rooms, not made to feel welcome or comfortable
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brocko25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 24 June 2008

We regularly stay in Sofitel hotels in different countries, and were disappointed by the Sofitel Marrakech. It is not up to the usual Sofitel standard.

We were impressed by the standard of customer service - staff were very polite, particularly the doormen. We also loved the fact that the hotel was filled with the scent of fleur d'oranger in the evenings.

What we didn't like was that the room's decor was dated. The thick carpet felt dusty as did the beds (we were constantly sneezing). We were also quite shocked to find that the doors linking our room to our neighbours' were not locked, meaning that we could walk from our room to the next! The sound proofing was poor, we could hear everything going on in the next room.

Nice fitness centre, but it is a shame that you need to pay extra to use the hammam.

Breakfast buffet is OK, but not great for a Sofitel.

• Liked — Location - near the old town
  • Disliked — Dusty room
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank cbss
Portugal
Reviewed 25 May 2008

We are Sofitel Privalage card holders and I have to say I have rarely felt less privalaged! I find the reviews here staggering in their praise of this Hotel which frankly we couldn't wait to leave.I would recommend reading "kceese's" review "unbiased review" - rather than repeat it all I would just add from our own experience.

We had stayed at a Riad for our first 5 days then after a trip south had wanted a calm hotel outside of the Medina. The Sofitel seemed the best and obvious choice. We found the reception on arrival so unhelpful it bordered on downright rudeness. The room was okay but not great, the hotel is large with lot's of facilities buit the overall manner of the staff really lets it down. All were curt, preoccupied with talking to other staff members and generally unhelpful. Breakfast was fabulous - I ordered tea, it didn't come, I asked again (nicely!!) and had two pot's of water slammed on the table so the water flew out of the spouts. The waiter then started a heated argument with a collegue who reprimanded him right in the middle of the breakfast room. A manager was standing nearby - didn't say a word. That summed the hotel up for me. We moved to the Meridian which possibly wasn't as smart but the staff were a delight. Frankly I'd choose one of the wonderful Riads (we had stayed in La Sultana for our first few days-superb) or if you want a Hotel stay at the Meridian next door.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank BoavistaPortugal
Nottingham
Reviewed 12 May 2008

We stayed here on our first night and were very pleased we did. We arrived at about 9.30 a.m and our room was ready - standard double with a view over the gardens and pond - not the best view but as we weren't staying in our room all the time, this was not a problem. Room was nice and big and very clean with a lovely bathroom. The pool is great although there were a lot of families with children which made it very noisy and a bit hectic in the pool. The gardens of the hotel are beautiful and there are plenty of shade spots. The bars and seating areas are plentiful and the hotel complex itself is very big so it feels very spacious and not too crowded. The staff are all very professional, helpful and friendly. We were greeted with mint tea and moroccan pastries which was a nice touch. The hotel is located in the new district so its about 20 mins to the old part and the medina. Lots of lovely restaurants and bars within and around the hotel. The breakfast was great - continental buffet style as well as hot cooked food - definitely worth it if you fill up on it as you won't need lunch. If we visit Marrakech again, we will definitely stay here.

• Liked — The luxuriousness
  • Disliked — The noisy children
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travelpony
sallywSallyw
Reviewed 23 April 2008

We thought we would pay a visit to this hotel during our stay in Morocco and I believe it is the best in Marrakech.

Fabulous reception areas with really friendly well trained staff. We had lunch here by the pool and it was lovely. Good value considering he luxe surroundings and I had a salad nicoise with bread that was too big to finish.

Had mint tea on the terrace which has numerous comfy chairs and a real no hurry atmosphere.

We sat and listened to the musician in the main reception and we were given more tea - free to all this time.

As we were leaving we were stopped by the manager who kindly offered to show us the whole hotel and send me some special offers by email. He was so nice, unpretentious and keen for us to go again. We saw the stunning therapy areas, but not sure if it is extra to use the pool - which looks fantastic.

We decided to return later on and had drinks in the bar, where we were entertained by different jazz musicians.

Lovely ambiance and will definately go back and stay there if the price is right.

• Liked — The outside areas
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sallywSallyw
London
Reviewed 22 April 2008

As per other recent reviews I would agree that this hotel has sorted the problems discussed in more distant reviews. The check in process is personal and perfect. Checkout also speedy. The public areas of the hotel are wonderful and spacious. The large pool was a bit cold but it was still early march. The hotel is situated close enough to the Medina and square to walk very easily but far enough away to avoid the hustle and bustle there. It's a 15 min very easy walk.
Petit taxis from outside the hotel seem to be an absolute rip-off so do persist with haggling for a fair price. The taxi to airport started at dm150 and ended up paying dm20. Better still insist on the meter.
The restaurant areas are very nice but high prices for good quality. The breakfast buffet was operating stretched but efficiently at full hotel capacity. Wide choice of foods available.
Searches were not made at the entry as other reviews suggest though there was a always many security at door and gates.
We had a suite which was most spacious bedroom / living area / bathroom and reception area. Storage facilities everywhere.
Only criticism of room as per usual with accor hotels is choice of tv. 2 english channel only both news. Very poor!!!
Pool bar staff attentive. Bar staff just outside of main hotel area could be more speedy and acknowledge those waiting.
Tip when eating out. Dont drink the water except when bottled and avoid salads. Cooked food only.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — bar prices
  • Stayed March 2008
2 Thank STEVEFR
Kent, UK
Reviewed 17 April 2008

Would love to see where some of the doommongers on here usually stay. We didnt actually stay here because of the reviews, (thanks for nothing guys) however we did pop along for a 3 hour session twice on their fabulous terrace and pool bar. Ive stayed in some lovely hotels for both work and not and this looks 5 star all the way to me-certainly in the areas I could see. It was very, very clean too.. They dont got for fancy bathroom products in Morocco

All I can say is that I thought public areas were amazingly gorgeous, beautiful terraces and pools and the service was excellent even if it was just beers (came with lovely nuts and olives etc) and a smile. Had a look at pool bar venue-pretty pricey certainly, but you dont have to eat there, its not compulsory and the location was lovely.

To the person who said it wasnt convenient, it was the most convenient hotel there was! short of staying in the medina . Must have been a 10-15 minute walk at the most to the square if you wanted to go there and 2 minutes in a cab.

Lovely gardens too.

We did 2 nights in a Riad and 5 nights in a hotel (Kenzi Farah) and personally and I know its not fashionable to say so but I preferred the hotel as not that keen on dark and empty alleys late at night.

I would undoubtedly stay here next time we visit and unless the rooms are truly dismal and I doubt it then I am sure we will enjoy it. I think a few people have a crap holiday for all sorts of reasons-bad weather, relationships, unrealistic expectations not pertinent to the countries they are going to and then take some very minor stuff out on some of the hotels..

I always book independently-specify a room (ie 4th floor overlooking pool or sea etc, pay accordingly, ask them to confirm this, print it off and take it with me and have never had an issue with it.

I do feel for the couple though who have had problems on being charged. Claim a refund from your card providers surely and say it was an unauthorised payment as you must have copies of any correpondence sent. Failing that, find out who does Sofitels PR in the UK (search via the web) and let them know what you think and that you will be sending a piece into the holiday nightmare section in the Sunday Times.

Stayed April 2008