“Much to like, a little to hate”

Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa
Ranked #113 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Netanya, Israel
“Much to like, a little to hate”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I spent 6 nights in the Sofitel Lounge and Spa in Marrakech last week while there for conference. The fact of the matter is this hotel looks great from the lobby and public areas, but the rooms are just standard hotel rooms.

Check in was a disappointment since I arrived at 3pm and my room wasn't ready until after 5pm. Considering that check out is 12pm and that check in is 3pm, this is just unacceptable.

The room itself was neither a disappointment, nor a surprise. Very standard size and furnishings. There was a flat panel TV, but this is standard everywhere now. The Bose stereo system was a nice touch - it was easy to charge my phone and listen to my music at the same time. The workspace was adequate, although the chair at the desk had no back. I would prefer an actual office chair. Nice big bathroom, but still didn't have a separate bath and shower. Water pressure was terrible. Worst thing about the room was the bed. It was so horribly soft that I had serious back pain every morning. For some reason they soften it up by putting a feather comforter on the mattress. You sink into this thing like its quicksand. Horrible, horrible bed. One of the worst hotel beds I have ever slept on.

The breakfast was very good - everything you could want. Coffee's pretty awful, but I accept that Moroccans might like their coffee that way. I had the buffet lunch on my first day - barely ate anything, was ridiculously expensive. 50 Euros for a nothing fancy buffet.

Public areas in the hotel are very nice and very fancy. Its a shame the rooms aren't renovated to reflect the opulence of the property in general.

Location is very good - its a 5 minute walk to the Medina, and its also in the middle of the action in the Hivernage area.

All in all I think this is a good place for you if you want to stay in a property that feels 5 star, but you don't have the big money to pay for a real 5 star hotel. It is after all significantly cheaper than other 5 star hotels in Marrakech.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jonathan R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
LeucadiaLisa
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Wonderful few days spent with friends. Easy access to the souks and so great to come back to the calm if the hotel. Fabulous staff, among them Fatima, Roche, quenji and Hicham. Last but not least, Rachida who went above and beyond to look after us every morning with her great smile. Thank you to everyone!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank LeucadiaLisa
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The area, where the hotel is situated and the staff is as important as the rooms or the poolside…But all of them were pretty charming… we felt at home there.
The breakfast buffet is good and offers a great variety. The terrace, the poolside and the lobby makes you feel comfortable. We liked it a lot! Of course the Mammounia is the best, but I don´t want to feel always like am I dressed good enough, am I talking too loud or… Of course I am dressed fine - but to be in a holiday should be a casual experience…we had the feeling that we can relax there...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2013

so much of this hotel was wonderful , the grounds, the staff including Kamal in the Jardin dining room and Abdelrakash the bellman who came with us to the pharmacy. However i was given a room over a smelly garbage area, i would have expected more. Eventually the evening manager changed my room and all was much better. in general i would have loved to have stayed longer to enjoy the pool and spa. Ps the halloween program for the kids looks incredible.

Room Tip: ask for the newer side , even near the front of the hotel,
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We were recommended Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa by friends of my wife. We arrived at the hotel late at night were greeted by selfless security staff who took care of our luggage the and showed us to the most beautiful and fragrant reception (the fragrance is called Fleur D' Orange and available from in hotel gift shop). Once we were seated in the reception a chap happy and energetic called Hakim (He greeted us with genuine warmth each day during our 7day stay) came and poured us some mint tea which was much needed after our travel. Within moments we were great welcomed by a young lady called Lubna from the reception who completed the formalities and escorted us personally to the lifts. She was very kind and asked us call reception and ask for her by name if we needed anything.

The walk to our room was enchanting the fragrance of the hotel still lives in my memory. Once we arrived at our room we were very pleased...it was big, clean and well equipped. I am a gadget person and I was shocked to find a BOSE stereo with a docking station. Our luggage was sent to our room within moments of us reaching it. The bathroom was clean and every attention had been payed to all the little details. The bed was queen size and very comfortable, the mini bar was well stocked and they had some complimentary pastries, and water waiting for us. We also had wifi in our room.

The breakfast is there is outstanding and you are spoiled for choice, the staff are of the hotel were not staff at all....the best words to describe them are "PERFECT HOSTS". Each morning two young ladies called "Siham" and "Fatim" would greet us with warmth and a massive smile and help us choose the perfect spot to sit inside or out for breakfast. Our every whim would be their command and they made sure we had a hearty breakfast. The customer relations manager of the Hotel who is called Sarah was there every morning also made a point to come over and greet us and ask us how our stay was and if she could do anything for us.

We had dinner in the in hotel restaurant called L'Orangerie and it was sublime the service was second to none. There is also a bar attached to this restaurant which is fully stocked with the all the best single and double malts. They also have wine expert there who will show you to their wine cellar and allow you to choose your tipple. There is also another bar in the hotel called Palais Darkin Bar and Lounge and we would often spend our afternoon there and plan our next days excursions. The manager who was called "Hind" along with her staff who were so friendly I can rem member their names..."Wassif, Soufian and Nassima".... they would help us plan our trips through the concierge "Khalid".

We have stayed in fine hotels all over the world but this holiday was made perfect because of the staff of this hotel and the hospitality they gave us. One person that really stood out and made us feel like we were special was a receptionist called "Wafa Laaleg", this young lady would greet us every day as if we were not guests in the hotel but as if we were royalty.

I would highly recommend this hotel to all and would urge you to experience their hospitality... I know I will surely stay with them again when I visit Marrakesh...

Thank you all for our lovely delayed Honeymoon ;)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

There are so many lovely things about this hotel - the location is great, waking distance to the medina and loads of restaurants. The pool and the grounds are manicured and pretty, and the breakfast has the widest choice I've seen at a hotel.

However...my friend and I are beginning to think we might be invisible. Any requests for drinks etc are either immediately forgotten or take ages. Even for things we can do ourselves - getting a towel, or helping ourselves to water at breakfast - we are waved away and told someone will come over. They do, but about fifteen minutes later.

It's such a shame that a lovely experience is marred by this frustration.

It's also worth mentioning that the restaurants in the hotel are all expensive options. However the hotel is so conveniently located that there are plenty of other choices nearby.

Stayed November 2013
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We booked this hotel with a view to enjoying a nice relaxing break, as the location and facilities looked great. Sadly though the hotel itself is well located and is lovely, the service really lets it down and ruins the experience and its a shame as all it would have taken is for the staff to communicate when required and be friendly.

The lady that checked us in was cold and uninterested, I had emailed the hotel before to ask for a well located room as this trip was for my husbands birthday, and when I asked her she ignored the question twice. When we were taken up to the room I was sad to see the room had two single beds shoved together and a cot, we are a young couple with no kids and I had booked a kingsize bed, so this was clearly wrong. We went and spoke again to reception and they agreed to move us in a few hours when a room became available.

We went out and came back to get changed for dinner, but found still (after 5 hours) no one had done anything. After another half hour of waiting, which would have been far more if we had not reminded them we had a dinner reservation and they were delaying us, we were finally moved to a ground floor room..they called it an upgrade but I would dispute that.

The rooms are nice enough but a little worn and not what you would expect for a 5*. Small things like the shower head not staying in its holder, makes the stay frustrating. I also did not like the fact the room was on the ground floor and overlooked what I assume was the security/staff entrance..upgrade indeed. We decided not to ask for another room as we were too tired of all the hassle and were running late for our reservations. In hindsight I wish I had as there was a lot of noise very early in the morning, not what you want when you are on a relaxing break. There is also some building work ongoing which is probably what we heard.

The grounds are lovely, as are the bars. As others have mentioned the drinks are expensive, we had lunch by the pool one day which was nice enough. We spent a lot of time by the pool, it is hard to get a decent spot as everyone reserves their beds early in the morning but the staff near the pool do try and help.

Check out - another bad experience, a man started dealing with us then without any explanation proceeded to pick up all the phone calls to reception and totally ignore us for 10 minutes. His colleague then finished with his customer and started to serve us in what is the slowest check out ever.. and as he was doing so other customers waiting to check out were also understandably getting angry, as they were taking so long and the other man was still answering the phone instead of dealing with people.

As we had a late flight we left our luggage and came back to use the courtesy room to change in, but even then there was a mix up. The lady gave me a card to enter the room to change then came back after a few minutes taking it back to say someone was already in there..I dread to think what would have happened if I had just made my way straight to the room when she had given me the key. We asked her to check how long it would be as we had a flight to catch and she didn't get back to us until we asked her again, and again. In the end we gave up waiting and just changed in the toilets.

The hotel itself is great, its the staff and service that totally let it down - simple things like communication and being helpful instead of uninterested, and being more efficient are severely lacking and ruin the experience. My advice would be to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple