“Dinner at the L' ORANGERIE”

Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa
Ranked #115 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Great restaurant. Salah and Abdessadeq where are waiters and they are some of the nicest staff that you could ask for. Very good as we didn't have a booking and they helped us straight away and they attended to everything that we asked for. Great food, had starters, mains, and a bottle of wine for around £80. will definitely go back again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,943)

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Absolutely fantastic, it is our first night tonight and everyone is so friendly, really helpful and kind. The hotel is gorgeous with well maintained grounds and two pools, rooms are spacious and stunning!! We are staying in a ground floor room with access to our own terrace and the gardens including ponds- great location, so happy we picked this hotel. The only downside I could say would be the prices by the pool for food and drink - 150 dirum for a mojito which is around £13 and it's only a small glass, starters begin at this price too for a selection of small Moroccan salads. Overall we are so happy with the hotel location and overall but are unlikely to eat/drink by the pool again due to the high prices (but I guess it should be expected at a Sofitel/similar hotel) apart from that I could not recommend this hotel enough it is absolutely stunning and the staff are brilliant

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Stayed for four nights at the Sofitel Marrakech, we pre-booked the chaffer driver from the airport who takes you to the hotel which is 10 minute drive from the airport.

At the hotel you are greeted by friendly staff and the hotels grand reception area.
The rooms are spacious and modern (Brits as this is a French hotel do not expect tea making facilities in the room). Rooms are checked and cleaned atleast twice daily.

The breakfast buffet is fantastic with great choice of foods, the hotel is located close to the clubs and bars for night life and a 10 minute walk from the market and old Marrakech making in an ideal location.

The hotel has a heated pool which is handy as the weather in feb is around 20 degrees and the heated pool is still warm.

Would definatley stay again and all the hotel staff were friendly and helpful and nothing was to much trouble for the concierge.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the atlas mountains
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank andrewhaynes
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We resided in this specific hotel towards the latter end of February . façade, very imposing. Arrival, overall conducted in a rather hurried fashion. The front reception staff were not exactly the epitome of embracement .Even although there appeared to be no other guests checking in at that particular time . .We were allocated a room in the lounge and spa area of the establishment .Although the room was rather exhausted in appearance .They were well appointed with the latest mod cons and the usual extravagance of toiletries

Breakfast was a sheer delight .With an array of fresh produce of the highest standard and quality. Staff in the dining area were generally all very helpful and friendly .

Recreational area ; Gardens nice with a multitude of sun bathing option. Staff were always on hand if you required towels , drinks etc .

Generically this is a lovely hotel .Situated in the affluent Hivernage area of Marrakech. Classified as a 5 star establishment coupled with excruciatingly high food and beverage prices . We took the liberty of not dining in the hotel as we calculated that a meal for 2 and a few drinks in one of the Sofitel restaurant's would set you back at least £100.00 . The dining experience outside the hotel was phenomenal . A few minutes walk to the right of the hotel sees a number of top class eateries ( The Pearl hotel and Table De Marche ) which were at least half the price .

Marrakech is an overwhelming experience not to be missed .A bustling, vibrant city that offers an assemblage of accommodation and dining options .Would we return to the Sofitel Marrakech . . Yes , but certainly not in a hurry . We have travelled extensively and stayed in some of the leading hotels of the world which in hindsight were less expensive compared to the Sofitel. Sadly its soaring prices may have a somewhat tarnishing effect on the individual .

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank matyls
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

This was a well earned 2 night whistle stop tour to Marrakech with my husband. We are both SO glad we chose this hotel. ( with British Airways Holidays ) From the moment we arrived, we were treated incredibly. I had previously read every review, and was prepared for the long check in etc, but we were in our sumptious room within 10 minutes of arrival. We were also given a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite, which was immaculate.
We booked the half board plan and every meal was delicious and very generous.
We were particularly looked after by Amine on our first night and Salah on our second night. That said, EVERY member of staff were exemplary and wonderful.
( A wonderful woman checked us in, and I am ashamed I lost the card with her name on). ( I was also made pancakes by the now infamous Fatima, who truly lived up to all her reviews!!!)
Also the house band Seven Senses were brilliant. Both my husband and I are professional musicians and we really appteciated their amazing talent.
We spent a very relaxed afternoon on the terrace drinking Mint tea and drinking in the heady romantic atmosphere.

Thank you Sofitel lounge and spa for an unforgettable stay.
We have discussed it and would find it very hard indeed to find a single fault.
Here's to the next visit. I cannot wait.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lianecarroll
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel just 2 nights. The hotelroom was absolutely no value for money ( room 60). The room is equipped for invalids, but I would not even recommend it for them. The curtain was partially torn, the fridge did not work, the toilet reservoir was leaking, so it refills every 10 minutes. Every morning there was a bad smell in the bathroom. The door to the terras could not be locked ( was fixed). The connecting door made it unfortunately possible to overhear the voices in the other room. Within these 2 days, 3 times a employee of the hotel entered my room without any knocking, even with the do not disturb sign outside the door. I had the feeling that this room was used by the staff, not expecting that a guest was using it. The staff at the reception was not very friendly and not very open to my complaints. Not a nice experience and will certainly choose another hotel next time, despite the Spa, that was a wonderful experience

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Frank K
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I would NOT recommend this hotel at all. I generally do alot of research before booking hotels as I am very particular; though this hotel received mixed reviews I liked the fact that this was a well known brand (therefore certain level of expectation would be adhered to), seemed close the souks, restaurants etc...

The hotel is there to rip people off, down to the hotel porters, restaurant staff and concierge etc..

Our "suite" was located on the ground floor and had an awful stink to it (I am guessing it was located near pipes and the kitchen (possbily). Upon checking in straightaway we had issues, our air conditioning wasn't working and had to call twice to get this fixed (wasting 1.5hrs!), our windows which led to the garden area and the balcony door were left open - they could not be locked. After calling maintenance they fixed this. However every day housekeeping would leave our balcony door (ground floor) open - bearing in mind that people could walk past our room and just enter in was appalling.

Out front door would not lock and even the device that locks it from the inside (door guard) did not work, on three occasions the hotel staff (cleaners, maintenance, you name it!) just walked in whilst we were in the room with the DO NOT DISTURB sign on.

This is the most unprofessional hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay at. In addition to this (and please be careful) the "Concierge" was a complete joke, they would only recommend what would seem like places where they probably get a cut (money!) from. When I tried to ask them about other places that came recommended they would not enterain talking about them; they had their own agenda which made us feel very uncomfortable. They recommended the worst places to eat; in addition when we booked a hammam from a place that they recommended we had to cancel on the day (giving 2 hours notice) he went ballistic (very unprofessional) stating that I should have told him yesterday, I had to explain that I cannot predict when I get ill and therefore had to cancel. I had to raise my voice and be very rude back for him to back down.

There is one particular hotel porter (I didn't get his name!) that insisted on carrying everything we had even though we would keep saying no just to get a tip. Even on our last day we walked out of the hotel and he insisted on stopping my husband to find out his room number so he could check if we checked out - UMM are you not a Hotel porter? Who the hell are you to check if we have checked out. That is our responsibility and the hotel take your card details if people just leave a hotel without checking out. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

Breakfast is just full of pastries and unhealthy items (apart from yoghurt and some pasty looking fruit!). I would recommend going to the cafe (called ExtraBlatt) that is on the road in front of the hotel (past Novotel). Breakfast cost if overpriced too.

The taxis outside of the hotel are way overpriced - just walk down the road and grab a cab from there (you will cut the price by half!).

Do not get a hotel taxi from the airport; they charge 25 Euros when you can get a cab for 50 Dinars.

TO SUMMARISE - Stay at Novotel, Stay in a Riad - I wouldn't bother wasting ANY money at this hotel. The only saving grace is "So Lounge" which has a lovely ambience and had a great band entertaining guests (Seven Senses!)

I thought Softel was 5* luxury - I would rather stay at Travellodge! I would never stay at Sofitel again.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel - I have no idea where the good reviews come from!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple