“Everything you could want and more.”

Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa
Ranked #113 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Everything you could want and more.”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This was my first visit to the Sofitel in Marrakech, and I was not disappointed by the experience.
The hotel is excellent and of a very, very high standard. It is also in an ideal location and within easy reach of most local amenities and night life.
The rooms are excellent. They are immaculate, spacious and very comfortable. The pool area and gardens are also fantastic. I really enjoyed the choice of restaurants and the excellent range of quality food offered. I also highly recommend the cocktail bar.
One thing I must comment on is the first class service from the staff. Nothing is too much trouble, whether you need a restaurant booking, a taxi, or just some directions. Everyone is incredibly hard working and I felt very comfortable venturing out on their recommendations and guidance. I would like to give a special thank you to Sara in guest relations. She is helpful, pleasant and happy to help whatever the situation. Whenever I saw her she was always smiling and would always say hello and ask if everything was okay. It really shows that she is caring and committed to delivering excellent service to guests, and is an asset to Sofitel.
Overall, I would highly recommend a visit to this hotel, as Marrakech is an amazing city and staying here will greatly enhance any visit. I will definitely return for a longer stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ahmed B, Directeur général at Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Sir,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Marrakech Lounge & Spa. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

As it was your first visit to Sofitel Marrakech we are very happy to know that you had keeped such good and a memorable impression that it will encorage us to keep the same level and why not a better one in other to amaze you during you next visit and to feel you at home.

Continue to follow all news of Sofitel Marrakech by clicking "Like" our Facebook pages :
SofitelMarrakechLoungeSPA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
reston, va
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is a lovely hotel with a great pool area for lounging. It is walking distance to the Koutoubia Mosque and the Souks. We had a very nice and spacious suite overlooking the pool area with an incredible view of the Atlas mountains at sunset. The balcony was enclosed by flowering bougainvillea vines with birds flitting through them; but don't leave the balcony door open or the birds will hop right into the room. The breakfast food was good and extensive but getting decent service depended on how busy they were at the moment. The big problem was that our room was on the second floor right over the lobby--obviously there are speakers in the lobby ceiling which means the second floor rooms have loud music playing in them from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm! We asked them to turn the music off or adjust the volume way down and they acted like they'd never heard the complaint before which would be impossible given the volume; even though they promised to do so, they never did.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank vakamalua
Ahmed B, Directeur général at Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Sir;

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Marrakech Imperial Hotel & Spa. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

However, I am sorry that such services did not meet your expectations especially in term birds flitting in the balcony and also the room that you had in the seconf floor wich you did not apreciate it becaus of noise so please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Ahmed Benkirane,

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great hotel, nice pool and location was perfect. Just minutes walk from the medina Walls and with loads of very nice resturants around and about.
We felt very safe walking around the area and the staff in the hotel were great. Room was lovely, so would tetally recomend !!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ahmed B, Directeur général at Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Sir,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 May 2014

For such an expensive hotel we expected perfection.
Upon entering, the place does look great. The rooms are large and comfortable, all the amenities are in place, could be a great place.But...
Checkin- We were greeted by the reception and seated at the lounge, a very nice lady took our passports and went to register us, we were offered tea and biscuits , and then went on waiting for almost half an hour to get our room.
Service- Lovely poolside with nice cabanas , asked for the towels ... the guy said "yes right away" and we never saw him or the towels . waited for someone to take an order for the bar... no one came for 1 hour until I went to the bar myself only to be told they can't serve me and I have to wait for a waiter to come to me...
Wi-fi- saw many comments before about how poor it was. The previous posters were generous!!
AC did not work in one of the rooms.First night we sweated it out and in the morning asked for the AC to be fixed. Front desk said "sure ,no problem" returned in the afternoon and saw nothing was done. Went down and asked again... "sure , no problem" returned at night and sure enough... nothing was done. second night sweating.. on the third day in the elevator, the cleaning girl greeted me and asked if all was fine. I said "yes, but the AC does not work" It took her 10 minutes to get the repair man and fix it!!!
The kettle did not work, I asked to replace it... won't bore you.. just like getting the AC fixed.
Front desk are useless!!!
Saved the best for last.... Checked out at 5:55 AM, came back 5:59 to retrieve a jacket I forgot.
The front desk clerk was in the room saying he was there to prepare the room for the next guest.....
After such an inefficient front desk experience I should have guessed something is wrong, and since when do the front desk prepare rooms, and since when do hotels prepare rooms at 6:00 AM???
When we arrived at the Casablanca airport we realized we left a wallet in the room as well.
We sent our guid to the hotel and they told him no wallet was found....
I just hope the cleaning girl that came in later still found the tip waiting for her....

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank YoavZanav
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have never felt the need to review a hotel before -as long as the good points out-way the bad points then I figure 'lets move on'
On arrival we had to wait 4 hours for our room -we were told they had a large group arriving and they had to take priority.
Allocated a 'quiet' room overlooking a noisy construction site within the hotel -next day I invited the manager to visit our room to share our experience -he was unavailable so we had a visit by the room allocations manager.(see photo) When asked why rooms overlooking a construction site were not closed down to paying customers and the time used to clean the carpets and curtains and repair the broken items in the bathroom he replied (with some embarrassment) that it was not Sofitel policy to close rooms during construction.
He re-allocated us another 'quiet 'room overlooking a main road into the city!!(see photo)
Pool area was very nice and staff very pleasant and helpful -again pool furniture was very badly stained and dirty.
Breakfast was adequate and service OK as long as there was not a large delegation in the hotel --then service was poor.
Overall the week we spent there was not a good experience and the manager could not be bothered to find us to offer an explanation or apology.
This hotel charges for 5*goods and services and offers some customers 3* experience
Beware ---you have been warned!

2 Thank Rhys_602
Dear Mister,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Marrakech Imperial Hotel & Spa. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations especially in term of the long time wating to have a room uppon arrival and also the noisy room near the construction wich you did not apreciated; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Ahmed Benkirane
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

For a bit of luxury, this is a top hotel compared with the chaos and bustle in the Medina - it's nice to get away to at the end of a busy sightseeing day.
The check-in was unusually long and overly done - you are asked to sit down and wait in reception and then someone goes through paperwork and familiarises you with the hotel. I guess they think it's a personal touch but is actually a bit laboured and annoying! A quick and easy check-in is all that's needed.
The rooms are are OK although could do with more lighting - was always pretty dark! Beds are very large and comfortable. There are no tea / coffee making facilities or iron / ironing boards in the rooms. You can get one from housekeeping but the irons have seen their day and don't work very well!
Wifi at the entire hotel is totally useless - worst I have ever experienced and is so bad they may as well not have it - not sure if it is just a Moroccan problem or the service is inadequate for the number of guests they have - at least it's free.
The pool is amazing and service pretty good from the staff there. The breakfast service was not particularly good - a lot of staff milling around ignoring customers. You had to almost beg to get coffee / juice and the same for refills.
Meals at the restaurant are good but are around twice the price of going into the Medina. Drinks are prohibitively expensive and DO NOT go for the waiter's recommendation of a glass of champagne or mojito before your meal - unbelievably expensive!!
All in all, would recommend but would be great if the hotel could sort out its breakfast time staff and the awful wifi!

Room Tip: Try not to get a room facing towards the airport (think this is the West side of the hotel) - there...
1 Thank bazandbabs24
Ahmed B, Directeur général at Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Mr BAZANDHAB,

However, I am sorry that such services did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Ahmed Benkirane,
Paris, France
Reviewed 12 May 2014

First off, it should be noted that the pool area of the hotel is great. I would actually go back just to enjoy lounging there, all the sun beds are modern and the gardens are very well kept. There is sufficient pool staff to assist you.

However, despite the good facilities of this hotel we still had a disappointing stay. There were numerous issues:
- the bed: was surprisingly uncomfortable. My husband and I both lay down and then sat back up and looked at each other thinking something must be wrong with our bed. We look it over entirely and couldn't understand the sheets and mattresses layout (very odd) and didn't have a comfortable sleep.
- the check-in: the check-in process was quite long
- the housekeeping staff: it took three phone calls to housekeeping to get an ironing board
- the room service: our order came and was incorrect
So these issues and several other small ones led to a disappointing stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LauraParis_France
Ahmed B, Directeur général at Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Mr LAURA,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Marrakech Imperial Hotel & Spa. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Ahmed Benkirane