“I would go back....”

Ranked #114 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Birmingham
“I would go back....”
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We had a few rooms during our entire stay of 10 days at this hotel as there were 7 of us. Though initially we did have an issue with the location of where one of the rooms were situated, but this was easily resolved by Hanane at the reception- who was amazingly helpful throughout our stay.
The rooms were comfortable, the bathroom could do with an extractor fan of some sort- it got very stuffy at times. The views weren't amazing from all the rooms, but not terrible either.
We had a few issues ranging from: construction work in one of the rooms above our at 7/8 in the morning. Room not cleaned until late afternoon., and as annoying as these issues can be as we were a fussy crowd, they were drowned by how beautiful the hotel is, and how helpful some of the staff can be: Hanane, Leila, Khalid, Anees....thank you guys so much!
I completely agree with the previous review- the beautiful smell of the hotel still lingers. And it was a haven to return to after the busy hussle and bustle of the medina.
The hotel has a brilliant pool area, so pencil some time to lounge and take in the sun.
Overall, loved it, and would definately return.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Beautiful hotel, well situated, walkable to other hotels and main square and medina. Rooms are well appointed, great bedding, marble baths and excellent service. The pool is amazing and do leave some time for relaxing and enjoying - the setting is marvelous. We visited the La Mamounia, which is magnificent and stately but we preferred the ambiance at the Sofitel for 1/3 price!! I can still smell the orange blossom fragrant parfuming the lobby- sensational! Stick with the Sofitel, you cant go wrong. We also stayed at the Sofitel in Fes and that was an amazing experience. I will look to patronize this brand wherever I travel as we were extremely satisfied with Sofitels level of accomodations.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2010

English breakfast - £30.
One orange juice, one coke (in a can) - £12.
20ml bottle of cheap sun lotion - £25.
1 hour of internet access - £8.

When paying £180 per night for a room, I was rather disappointed in the pricing structure for basic services/goods. We had planned to spend most of our time in the hotel and grounds, so decided on the Sofitel due to the excellent pool area. However, we were quickly put off of this due to the above. A day at the pool would easily have cost £100 per day for us. We instead decided to see more of the city, and spend our money elsewhere.

Fruit delivered to the room was a nice touch, and the maid service is very good. The analogue TV was at least 10 years old and most channels were out of tune/bad signal.

We wanted to make a purchase from the boutique but there was no staff there. The concierge response was that it was closed. Although the doors were open and lights/music on...

Location is just outside the Medina walls, but rooms facing the pool have to endure endless moped whine and car horns til around 1am. Soundproofing those rooms would have been nice.

Not the experience I was hoping for, although Marrakech is certainly an interesting place and I am glad it forced us out of the safety of the western hotel and into the real Morocco!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank schooleydoo
England
Reviewed 13 June 2010

Only stayed for two nights but this hotel was well located in very pleasant walking distance to the Medina/main square. The public areas are very elegant. The room was spacious and comfortable although a little dated. Nice balcony overlooking the pool area. The pool area is a real oasis in the city. The breakfast buffet and service was good but a little overpriced. The restaurant in the evening had average/good food but a stunning setting where you could see the Medina and the bar is also very pleasant. Overall a classy hotel that I would recommend.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Very impressive from the outside. The staff were friendly, especially the reception staff when I informed them that our shower wasn't working. However, the major downside was the price of food-ridiculously expensive. Especially for very average food. We ended up going to the Cafe Blatt, which is a 1 minute walk away from the Hotel where prices were much more reasonable. Overall, we really wish we stayed somewhere closer to the Djma al Fnaa, like a Riyad, instead of this generic French chain. But overall, not bad (if you have money to burn).

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OreoC81
Netherlands
Reviewed 19 April 2010

We chose this hotel because (not knowing the country) we preferred staying in a well-known international hotel where you can expect certain standards, and we were abolutely happy with the choice we made. Althugh I must say I saw many beautiful Moroccan hotels all over the city. When we arrived, we were greeted with very nice mint tea and during our stay all the staff was very helpful and always available. This hotel is gorgeous with a view to the pool, and I personally loved the bathroom which had also a typical Moroccan style. The pool area is very well mantained and the SPA is superb. The food was also very good, but after the first night we preferred the typical local restaurants to see more of the city. The city center was about 10-15 minutes walk from the hotel which we did not mind, but you can always order a taxi at the reception. The city is lively, colorful and unique, and this hotel is great - worth a try.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lallil
London
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We booked this hotel because it had good facilities so that if we didn't want to leave the hotel, there were things to do. Before we set off for Marrakech, I tried ringing the hotel about half a dozen times to book a car to pick us up from the airport, but was passed from pillar to post. I was asked to send a fax request and to send email requests, but no one bothered to get back to me without incessant chasing by phone. Well, it was "start as you mean to go on"!!

The hotel lobby was impressive on arrival and smelt wonderful - candles were burning and there were hundreds of roses We had two rooms - one was ok, but mine was not great. Firstly, it was immediately over and to one side of the huge porch that is the hotel entrance. There is a driveway with fountains that lead you up from the road to the hotel and on our first night, they decided to start jet washing the drive at about 1.00am and it went on pretty much the whole night. By the time they finished, the fountains (which seem to be switched off at 00:15 hours each night) were turned back on. Then there was all the noise of hotel guests coming and going and the taxis picking people up right underneath my window. Really noisy and not great. In short, do not stay in a room at the front of the hotel. The rooms at the back overlook the garden and the pools - much more peaceful.

Room size was fine and cleanliness also good generally, but housekeeping were hit and miss everyday in terms of whether they left you towels, face clotsh, etc - or simply forgot to replenish them! Ditto re toiletries. For a 5 star spa hotel, there was only shower gel and shampoo in the bathroom and some cotton buds - they did leave me some conditioner once ... overall, rather disappointing compared to the many 5* hotels I've stayed in all over the world.

I used the [very small] gym. It was equipped with seriously old equipment in a small room. Weights were in another small room next door. The indoor pool is only open to those having spa treatments and was too small and too warm to swim in properly. The spa changing facilities are ultra poor - I'm a regular spa-goer both at home and on travels and apart from the waiting area, the spa facilities were the worst I've seen in a hotel. The treatment rooms were clinical and not welcoming, the venetian blinds at the windows let sunlight in even thought they were closed, no nice smells from burnnign oils or candels one would usually expect in a treatment room and to top it all off, there was a lot of noise coming from outside, which I could probably have ignored if there had been some music playing gently in the background, My therapist did not speak English and so I spoke to her in French only to discover that she could not speak French either, which was unusal for Morocco; and of course I could not speak Arabic - so it was like a chicken trying to talk to a duck! When my treatment was finished, there was no one at the desk for me to sign the paperwork - I waited but no one came. So I left but was then asked to please go back to the spa to sign it. I obliged and went along - but no one at the desk again. I tried a third time and success! For a holiday and given that the spa was supposed to be relaxing experience, it was too much like hard work.

The staff at the hotel are lovely, but the service was very poor - basically because it was achingly slow or the staff were just forgetful. You could ask for something and it would not come at all or where at another hotel it would be with you in a couple of minutes, this hotel regularly took half an hour or more and then they only carried out the request because you chased. We ate in the only restaurant open in the evening and the service there was the worst of all. What should've been a 1.5 hour meal on two nights became 4 hours due to rubbish service - even the bill took 25 minutes to come and then it was only because my friend got up and started pacing with a furious look on her face, at which point the BBQ chef (it was a buffet that night) went to find a waiter before there was a scene.

Breakfast is served in the Palmarie restaurant which is only open for breakfast and lunch. 250 dirham from breakfast - flat charge - it's a buffet. There is one evening restaurant only so there is no other choice if you want to eat in of an evening. There's also a bar adjacent to it, which has a nice atmosphere. There is no all day coffee shop or restaurant like at other hotels, which was disappointing as if you stay in, you had to eat during the restaurant opening hours. You could have room service, but it'll cost you a whopping 150 dirham service charge, no matter how small your order! Before I forget - for a 5* hotel this hotel has no tea making facilities in the rooms - it's really basic.

The gardens were lovely (though not as nice as other hotels we wandered into around the same area) and there are two outside pools - one heated and one unheated. There is also a very small jacuzzi. I was mortified one morning to find a massive and very dead bullfrog lying on its back at the bottom of the pool ... there is a lot of muck in the pool if you look closely - can't be helped as there are lots of overhanging trees, but I don't know how often the pool is cleaned. The heated pool got very busy in the afternoons as tourists decided to stay at the hotel rather than wander around in the heat sightseeing, but there as always somewhere to sit, even if it's not where you wanted to sit. Also very noisy as many out of control kids jumped and dived into the pools, despite the fact there were signs saying "no diving". If you want quiet time by the pool, use it when the families are out exploring in the morning, as it tends not to get overly busy until about 3.00pm. Agai, don't expect poolside service to be quick - even askign for a towel took two attempts on my second day - I only asked once on the other day I sat by the pool, but they forgot about me and I didn't bother to ask again!

Basically, lovely hotel with lovely staff, but seriously let down by shoddy service - you can expect better service in a 3* hotel in other parts of the world. I know they have to clean the outer areas some time, but do they really need to start doing it when their guests are sleeping in the middle of the night. Not a lot of thought went into that - says it all really. And complaning doesn't get you very far either! Nevertheless, I would recommend the hotel for its location and general cleanliness and comfortable furniture. Sleep quality was good, marred only by the constant noises. The only good thign that happened was that we wanted to go on a day trip to the Atlas Mountains. We were offered just one trip to the Ourika Valley, so took that one. The concierge managed to arrange it whilst we waited, but the service was not exceptional - just on a par with any other hotel and nothing more and nothing less than expected.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends