“The most beautiful hotel i´ve ever been!!!”

La Mamounia Marrakech
Ranked #76 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 6 August 2011

La Mamoumia is the best hotel in Marrakech. It´s beautiful, the rooms are wonderfull, all the staff is friendly, it is the most beautiful hotel i´ve ever been to! I will definitely come back!!

Room Tip: You should ask a room with the swimming pool view
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Some great points, an ordinary points.

The awesome - walking in the grounds after a week spent travelling around the deserts, having an icecream and playing ping pong with the kids at the health club.

The great - the rooms, beds, linen, bathrooms and little gifts (thongs, pens, key wallet) - and the Italian restaurant, early morning transfer. No compromises to meet the highest possible standards.

The ordinary - the lady who told our well intentioned driver (and our family) to go away (in a tone that I did not need language skills to understand) because we pulled up at the side entrance (in our very dusty 4WD) even though we had started to unload our kit. She should have been flexible enough to manage the situation without embarrassing our driver.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Quite simply this is one of the most beautiful hotels in the world. I'm a jaded well travelled reviewer and La Mamounia was astounding. The beauty of La Mamounia envelopes all the senses - from the hauntingly beautiful music playing in the lobby to the ever present scent of orange blossoms to the magical lighting and the simply sumptuous decor - La Mamounia is a pure delight.

Like many travellers considering Morocco I was torn between staying in a luxury riad and staying at La Mamounia. Riads may offer more space and better value for money but they can't possibly compete with La Mamounia in terms of style and ambiance.

Rooms

I reserved a Zahia Suite category. While lovely and very Moroccan I found the suite to be a bit too small and dark for my liking. I upgraded to an Executive Suite category and found it to be spacious and very light with a large balcony facing Mamounia's famed gardens.

Room selection is critical at La Mamounia. I would strive for the best category that your budget will allow.

The suite was beautiful. Large and stunningly decorated. My only complaint involves the living room furniture. While beautiful and stylish it was uncomfortable to sit on with very narrow bench type seating and straight backed sofas and chairs. Visually pleasing but ergonomically very uncomfortable!

Housekeeping, front desk, room service, bellmen and all hotel staff I encountered were excellent. The concierge staff in particular were excellent hosts and full of useful tips and suggestions. To my pleasant surprise I did not find staff to be tip mongering which is so often a plague at famed luxury hotels.

Spa

The spa was downstairs. This is an award winning spa. On two occasions I took a hammam style scrub and massage. The quality of the treatment was excellent.

However the spa is unimpressive. As i mentioned it is downstairs. I found it to be small, cramped and not up to par for a hotel of the stature of La Mamounia. A luxurious treatment waiting area / rest area is needed.

The spa lacks space and is lacking in ambiance.

Dining

Breakfast was stellar. Lunch I experience poolside every day. The lunch buffet is outrageously expensive but the quality of the food is superb. As I was travelling solo I never experienced dinner at any of the venues at La Mamounia. I'm sure they're delightful.

Overall

A visually stunning hotel with great service. Historic, romantic, opulent - a sensory delight. If you're a true hotel aficionado with the budget to indulge you will love La Mamounia!

Room Tip: Executive Suites are light & spacious
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Darrell S
Reviewed 12 July 2011

When you are going to the hotel rated as number 1 in the world for 2010, you arrive with outsized expectations. I have to say that La Mamounia deserves its rating and reputation. Of course, it is expensive, so let's put that to one side. The property is magnificent. No detail was spared in the recent renovation. The staff could not have been more accommodating (the hotel was only about 15% full in the low season, so I expect we received extra attention). It is truly a piece of paradise on Earth. For my wife and I, our trip to Morocco was a trip of a lifetime. Staying at La Mamounia made it all the more special.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Luckily for me, I was invited to attend a business trip for a week, staying at La Mamounia. The hotel is an experience of a lifetime in itself, nevermind the location. The place has a very special ambience - being by/in the enormous outdoor pool was one of the most relaxing experiences I've ever had. The indoor pool was similarly magical. For culture pop down the road and experience the Morroccan Market souks, and I'd highly recommend the old university in the city for absolutely stunning internal architecture. We were lucky enough to have an executive suite - loads of space, great views, huge comfortable bed, clean and attentive service. (Though a short knock and the polite and friendly staff are in!). Sleep quality great - but If you choose to sleep in the day, there is the occasional call from the nearby mosque! The Churchill Bar has a special feel to it, very old world classic charm - and it is worth shelling out for a mojito or a whisky in there to listen to the world class music and relax in an old haunt of various historic and musical greats. Watch your footing as all the floors are hard marble or stone, but the decor post-refurb is magnificent throughout the hotel. The food is great (the breakfasts are A.MA.ZING - especially the Eggs Florentine!), though I'd imagine you'd pay £150 per head for a 3 course meal, (and even a buffet lunch if you don't pick your options carefully), and I think club style lunch by the pool was around £25 pp minimum. (There is a supermarket 10 mins down the road "Label Vie", and a McDonalds come to that, as well as a series of beautiful restaurants with great food of all nationalities, but if you do choose to pop in to the supermarket be courteous to hotel etiquette and hide your stash in your rucksack). The orchard garden and formal planting was fab, and I'd highly recommend the tennis courts and yoga classes (3 times a week, 830am). A stunning memory, and a real treat.

Room Tip: Ask for a view and a balcony
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Super2000
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Winston Churchill loved this hotel and garden and who am I to argue with him. It is not perfect and sometimes the service lacks in certain regards but overall I would not hesitate to stay in this historical hotel that is beautiful beyond measure. Some have said the rooms are dark, I disagree, and think they fit the feeling of the environment and I found the Moroccon theme charming and appropriate. The bathrooms are beautiful and the details we had in the room were outstanding. The fit and finish is certainly great and the overall feel both in the hotel and garden gives one a feeling of being somewhere and someone special. Room service was less than perfect, the bar staff were slow, but the restaurant was excellent in both food and service. I also liked being in the city as we put this trip together with a stay at the Amanjena and I think that was perfect combination. This is truly a beautiful hotel and worth your consideration.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2011

What a place , cool calm and tranquil. The recent refit is spectacular and the huge, huge gardens a delight. Visited on a company trip for a week and loved it . Our room on the 4th floor (top) was great ( albeit a bit low on lighting ) Our balconey looked staright at the palace and down the gardens with a long distance view of the snow capped atlas mountains. These are worth a visit. Fresh friut and water and sheets every day and excellent air con. (35 degrees last week )Have been to Marrakech 3x before but not too this hotel. Highly recommended but a tad expensive (£10 bottle beer by the pool). My partner had a two hour Royal Hammam in the world class spa and loved it .

Room Tip: Visited a small 1st floor suite - superb !
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business