“Best in the world”

Ranked #80 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Rotterdam
“Best in the world”
Reviewed 5 October 2012 via mobile

This is in my opinion literally the best hotel in the world. I am blown away by everything .. The staff the rooms the service the food simply the BEST!!!! Its a little expensive but believe me it is worth every penny!!! My personal host (how amazing a personal host you can contact any minute of the day) was very friendly and super intelligent. His name was Sala Edin I'll never forget. Thank you Mamounia for the best hotel experience ever!!!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Maurice M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney - Australia
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed at La Mamounia in Sept and thoroughly enjoyed the stay, staff were very efficient and very genuine - all staff seemed to speak a minimum of three languages (Arabic, French and English).

Breakfast is situated by the pool each morning and is extensive. For people who like quite and secluded locations, this is one of those. I enjoy peace and quite, but guests at LaM seemed worried about speaking louder than whispering, this I think makes the environment it a little sterile.

It is expensive, but this place is at the top of its game.

• Stayed September 2012
london
Reviewed 29 September 2012

you MUST visit this hotel when in marrakech at least once......i do it more often as the cocktails served in churchill bar are exceptional _love mojito and sage margaritas well worth every penny especially when compared to other places.....great service, most beautiful garden.... day or evening.... pleasant live music in the evenings great place to relax after buzzing and lively medina.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Whitstable
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I didn't stay at this hotel, stayed at the Sofitel. But went to La Mamounia for a drink. Can I just say WOW, WOW, WOW! If you are lucky enough to go to Marrakesh go to this hotel if only for a drink. (No flip flops). It's a beautiful experience in the midst of the madness of the medina. Only thing is you may not want to leave. We Didn't.....

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Just returned from staying 3 nights at La Mamounia. This place is wonderful. The staff at the hotel is very profesional and helpful. I've read negative reviews , but noticed that ( many times) they were written by people who didn't stay at the hotel ( should this be permtted ? ). Previously, I stayed at the "Palais Namaskar " ( see my review there ). I thought that I could compare both hotels, but you can't. They are both very diferent. Anyway, I like the fact that there is very good security at the hotel ( I see the fact that the hotel turns people away who are not guests as a positive thing). Had dinner at the Italian Restaurant . The food was excellent . Please take note that smoking is allowed in the restaurant, but the capitan moved us to another table with no problem when another guest next to us had a cigarette . There was no problem at all. We had a great dinner . The pool is great . The room was , in my opinion, beautiful. The room was made twice a day . This place is where one goes to have a fine vacation, not to save money . Food & drinks do cost more that the outside , but this is true for any fine hotel in the world. I didn't find any staff to be snobbish or unfriendly .

Room Tip: Book room 434 if you can.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I recently had a 4-night stay at this legendary property, and its decor and ambiance was unique and special: a great blend of traditional Moroccan and contemporary style. Room was not big but very well appointed. Service, while good, did not measure up to similar class of top Asian hotels.

My biggest issue was with the wifi connection, which was problematic throughout my stay, working for maybe 2-3 minutes before stopping. I called for help every day, but the resolution was temporary, and one day was just told that there was a problem not just in the hotel but in the surrounding area. On the last day, another technician came to my room with a router/signal amplifier, which didn't solve the problem. After another 10 minutes, he finally decided to hook up my laptop via a cable, which finally solved the problem. He told me wifi in this hotel is always problematic, especially if lots of guests log on at the same time. I just wished they had offered to connect me via cable on day 1.

I had a 2-hr "Hamman Royale" treatment at their spa, which consisted of 1-hr of gommage with savon noir and application of body mud mask and facial mask, followed by a 1-hr relaxation massage with hot stone and scented oil. It was good but unremarkable and paled in comparison, again, to top Asian spas.

I ate at both their Italian and French restaurants, and the food was of very high quality. Service was good but not top-notch. Example: I had explained at the outset of the meal that I do not eat meat or meat products such as bouillon or consomme, the head waiter seemed to understand perfectly and instantly my requirements. At the end of the meal, when the mignardises arrived after the dessert, consisting of 3 items, I was suspicious that some may contained gelatin, which is a meat-derivative, and so I inquired about that and was told that one item did contain gelatin. Fortunately I asked, but I would have thought that they would have given us items that were vegetarian to begin with. Finally, after explaining that the one item had gelatin, I was just told what not to eat. A world-class establishment would have apologized, removed the plate and then returned with a plate consisting of entirely vegetarian items.

The check-in process took forever, with the staff making iterative trips to the front desk to photocopy our passports, etc. The friendly staff took us up to our room and launched into a rehearsed (but barely intelligible) standard speech about the hotel history and features in general, without answering my questions. Once in the room, he proceeded to explain the features, focusing on obvious ones but ignoring the most important point: how to work the light switches! We are well-traveled and used to hotel gadgets, but it took us more than an hour, wondering how the lighting is so dark and limited, before realizing the light switches (two different types) are actually dimmer and need to be held down to control the brightness. The dimmer controls are not intuitive, as the light switches are retro-chic and non consistent. Even with full brightness, the room can be dim at night.

The hotel has its own extensive gardens and potager, lovely for a stroll. However, both times we walked around the gardens, we were greeted with an unpleasant smell, as workers were applying fertilizers on the ground. Still, it was impressive.

Their Churchill bar has nice ambiance and very expensive drinks. Breakfast buffet spread (by the pool) was extensive and of good quality. No issue having hot chocolate made with soy milk.

The location is convenient, only a 10-min walk to the main square and bazaar for shopping.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sfvoyage
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Firstly, allow me to say in all fairness that La Mamounia is a wonderful hotel, with fantastic ambience and the piano bar was excellent place to chill and relax. The decor in hotel and the setup of the gardens were all immaculate.

However, there is a big problem regarding to getting out of the hotel. The doormen initially appeared helpful in getting us a taxi, having done so, we were informed by both the taxi and the doormen that there is a flat rate of 100 dirhams ~ 10 Euros for taxis picking up passengers from the hotel, regardless of the very short distance we were going. Just for reference, taxi rates for such a distance is typically 1.5-2 Euros. The principle behind that is very disturbing. The fact that the doormen verified the taxi driver's story was disturbing, if indeed the hotel's core values should be to look out for it's customers. I have never heard of taxi drivers charging differently just because one is staying at a good hotel, not unless it is a special limo or taxi for non-regular purposes.

I hope the hotel can do something about it, or at least advice the customers more appropriately
e.g if you take a short walk away from the entrance hotel, the taxi's would have to take you at regular rates.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple