“Tired buildings and tired service”
Review of Palmeraie Palace

Palmeraie Palace
Ranked #119 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Tired buildings and tired service”
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Other reviews have got this hotel just about right. It's not really a 5 star venue but is very good for the money. The gardens and pool areas are beautiful and the rooms very comfortable. However, everything looks rather worn and one imagines that it won't be long before it gets fully refurbished. Also the level of service is a real let-down - not enough staff on reception and they seem more interested in talking with each other than serving guests, pool attendants are surly and slow to bring towels, breakfast staff unable to clear tables and provide coffee and cutlery, room was very dusty, only a single robe and that was soiled from previous occupant.

The gym facilities were very good. We didn't play golf but other guests said it was fine.

In summary, if they improved the poor service then the tiredness of the facilities would become a feature, not a problem.

Room Tip: We were on top floor facing pool. Very nice and quiet except for birds in evening.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Montreal
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is a hotel in its own class. You walking and you are welcomed by mint tea and andalus musique. The rooms have some of the greatest architecture and moroccan decor. The breakfast has a Kanoon Player playing the whole time you are having breakfast. This is served in a little island inside the pool. The pools are very relaxing and the food is out of this world.
If you want to relax in a very a beautifull moroccan marakech hospitality, this is the place to be. This Hotel is a historic monument in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Casablanca, Morocco
Reviewed 5 November 2012

First of all, I would recommend all the guests of this "Palace" to check the room they are affected to before getting installed, there is a lot of misleading information they give you when you reserve compared to what you get on your arrival.
I had reserved a room on the golf side, to enjoy the green while working on some stuff on internet. After getting installed, I checked the balcony, I found out that the view was NOT what I have been told. When I told the receptionnist that the room does not have a golf view, she seemed that she already knew about it and she proposed another room. We moved to the other room, packed and unpack our luggage. I sate on the balcony, I turned on my computer and I found out that there is no internet!! I called the reception one more time, they told me that person in charge of IT wil not be there until the next day! The truth is they just want to keep me in that room, because even if the person in charge was there, he could not do nothing about it, For there was no Wi-fi antenna installed in that part of the hotel!!! I told the receptionnist that I need internet he told me and lied to me that there is no room available in the whole hotel!!!! I asked to see the manager, here I had my biggest deception.... he told me he is sorry, but he could do nothing about it.!!! Mr. Ziate said that it is true that the first room has not a golf view because there is a hill blocking the view, but it was on golf side which in his opinion cost more!!! For the second room, he told me the same thing as the receptionnist ( the person in charge of IT is not here) when I told him that I myself in the field of IT, and that there is no wifi equipement installed, he told me that I am right and he proposed to get me back to my original room.
To sum up, this is the worst 5 star palace I have been in, the personnel is not helpful. on check out I had to wait for an hour to get my luggage down. During meals you have to almost fight with other customers to find a table where to sit. The buffet is very boring, and it does not get replenished frequently... there is no manager on duty in the restaurant, waiters argue with each other in front of customers, customers argue with each other over free tables.
it is almost impossible to find a relax in front of the swimmin pool. people leave their towels on the relax, one can not know if they are coming back or not, and there is no one to manage it.
When the housekeeping stop by the room, it seemed like if they clean the room with dirty waters. It is true that the spray the room with deodorant, but it still smells funny.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. Do not take golf view rooms, it is not worth what you pay for.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Othmane M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2012

If you want a relaxing, indulgent and friendly hotel you should consider this one. Fantastic architecture and gardens, you forget you are in the desert. Great contrast to the hussle and bustle of the souks. I escaped in the spa while my husband tackled the immaculate golf course. Fantastic selection of restaurants offering both local and international dishes for all tastes.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Trigirl113
PGP_contact, Manager at Palmeraie Palace, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Dear Miss Trigirl,

Thank you for sharing your comments on tripadvisor.

It was a real pleasure to welcome you at the Palmeraie golf Palace and we are thrilled that you enjoyed staying with us.

We would like to thank you for these wonderful comments.

We are looking forward to welcome you again very soon.

Sincerly yours

London
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We stayed here (my wife and I) while celebrating our wedding anniversary. The price was very reasonable for what you get, The garden at night is amazing and to be far away from the busy city was refreshing. It seemed that we were in two different places. I would definitely come here again. I am surprised about other comments with the staff - my own experience was excellent - the rooms are very quint and cosy we loved them very much. If you want a place that makes you feel good when you come back after a long trip/adventure in Marrakesh please do try Palmeraie Golf Resort.
Their Hammam Spa is very good also.

Room Tip: Ask fora pool view room.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neekall J
PGP_contact, Manager at Palmeraie Palace, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dera Mister Neekall,

We would like to thank your for your comments. Your feedback is extremely important as it helps us to improve our service.

My team and I have taken notice of your highly positive remarks: they are our best rewards and they strongly encourage us to uphold the level of excellence you are entitled to expect…

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you once again at the Palmeraie golf Palace.

Sincerly yours.

Omar Fassi fihri
Rooms division Manager
London
Reviewed 27 August 2012

The Palmeraie is absolutely stunning in it's location and decor.

The public spaces and gardens are beautiful and the rooms are a wonderful mix of tradition and clever design with wonderful balcony views.

We travelled in August when a lot of the complex was closed for the season, however the restaurants were very good and we made good use of the tennis courts which were a quick shuttle ride away.

The main centre was a quick drive. The only slight downside to the stay was the staff. Without assuming that everyone should, the concierge staff's use of the English language was not very strong therefore mis-communication constantly occurred through booking cars and such. Also the reception staff were quite rude in their handling of questions and concerns.

Great gym though.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
PGP_contact, Manager at Palmeraie Palace, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Dear Mister Andrew,

Following your stay at our hotel, you were kind enough to share your experience and we would like to thank you. Your comments are extremely important, as they provide a motive for a continuous improvement.

My staff and I have taken note of your comments regarding your lack of satisfaction concerning the service at the front Desk. Please accept our apologies.

I am looking forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again, very soon at the Palmeraie Golf Palace.

Yours sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I am in no way a hotel snob however the hotel clearly has some issues which it needs to address, going on holiday to a 5* hotel, one has expectations of the service and facilities that are going to be provided. And whilst in no way did the faults ruin the holiday i would never return to the hotel or recommend it to anyone else which i believe should be the mark of somewhere good

Positive: Rooms are nice, facilities such as the spa and gym are very good. The pool area is okay (Yes they have 5 pools, however they are joined together and actually quite small) the hotel was very empty and you could still struggle to get a sunbed.

Negatives: There is a faded feel to the place, combined with things like horrible bright orange sunbeds gives a rather cheap feel to the place, food is very average and over priced (there are some lovely and much cheaper restaurants throughout the city, eat there)

Service: On arrival there was no one there to assist with moving our bags from the taxi, (Over the duration of the stay 70% of the time there was no one at the front door), the arrivals procedure was rather unfriendly, a lot of the time the concierge staff or reception staff were not at their desks and sometimes they struggled to understand English. When laundry was handed in it was returned and left lying on the bed as opposed to hanging up. On 2 occasions when taxis were booked through reception, they never actually got booked. All of these to me are not showstoppers however they are not what you expect from any half decent hotel. What really annoyed me was there response to our problems.

1. On the third day we noticed the room hadn't been cleaned yet (quite bizarre in any hotel) we asked why and were told we had put a do not disturb sign on the door. We said we hadn't to which we were told no you are definitely wrong.

2. My girlfriend gave a dress to housekeeping to be ironed, it came back quite badly burnt. On confronting the reception she was told that was how it was given to them. When she said it was brand new they told her she must be lying!

Accidents happen however to be told that you are lying is a disgrace.

Finally on our return to the UK i was struck down with a horrible stomach virus, the only place i ate on the last day was the hotel. Its not a definite, but my money was that i caught something at lunch at the hotel.

Summary: A 3* hotel with a couple of 5* elements, i would never go back there, we got a cheap deal so were not too annoyed however if i was paying standard prices i would have been devastated. I would also recommend staying close to the city. The Palmerie area is not some lovely oasis that it is made out to be. There are some lovely riads in the city with excellent service which is where i will be staying next time i return.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
PGP_contact, Manager at Palmeraie Palace, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Dear Mister John,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking few minutes to comment your experience.

Unfortunately, it seems you did not enjoy it and we feel very sorry as this is not the image we want to give from our property.
Be sure our main concern is to provide our guests with the best service and an unforgettable stay.
I personally listed what went wrong with the service concerned. Measures have been taken to remedy those failures.

I sincerely hope you will give us a second chance and wait for the pleasure to welcome you once again at the Palmeraie golf Palace.