“Room refurbishment long overdue”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Palmeraie Palace

Palmeraie Palace
Ranked #126 of 494 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Room refurbishment long overdue”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

I recently arrived at this hotel for a conference and, although not sure what to expect was slightly disappointed. The lobby is very Moroccan and exotic looking and the check in was swift. Then came the hike to the room - quite scary because it was miles from the reception area so I had to take on the skills of a tracker to find my way to and from reception. In fact, at one time I became so totally lost I had to call from a colleague's room to find my room. My room was dark and dismal looking and could have done with a slap of paint. The catch on the window to the balcony was broken and never did get fixed. Fortunately, I didn't have to spend much time in my room because if I had, I would have become seriously depressed. There was no adaptor in the room and only one existed at reception. The room boy, Rashid, came to the rescue and lent me his. Fantastic, things were starting to look up! You can use for free the two computers in the Business Lounge but they are very slow. The spa (where I took an hammam and massage) and gym were wonderful and deserved five stars. The concierge was very helpful too. It is a great resort with some fabulous restaurants and a super Brazilian night club where a group of us enjoyed a memorable night out. The down side is not feeling the need to go into town - Marrakech is such an amazing city that you shouldn't miss the opportunity to explore. A great resort but the rooms definitely need a make-over.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a corner room - they are dark and dismal.
1 Thank dogwalker2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

General state of Rooms and structure is not excellent. The cleanness is not very high and the furniture are a bit old. The service is ok, but looking at small details it seems there is not a general supervision and focus on 360 customer.experience. Food is good. In short its probably a 3 star superiori than a 4.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

Other reviews have got this hotel just about right. It's not really a 5 star venue but is very good for the money. The gardens and pool areas are beautiful and the rooms very comfortable. However, everything looks rather worn and one imagines that it won't be long before it gets fully refurbished. Also the level of service is a real let-down - not enough staff on reception and they seem more interested in talking with each other than serving guests, pool attendants are surly and slow to bring towels, breakfast staff unable to clear tables and provide coffee and cutlery, room was very dusty, only a single robe and that was soiled from previous occupant.

The gym facilities were very good. We didn't play golf but other guests said it was fine.

In summary, if they improved the poor service then the tiredness of the facilities would become a feature, not a problem.

Room Tip: We were on top floor facing pool. Very nice and quiet except for birds in evening.
1 Thank Michael M
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is a hotel in its own class. You walking and you are welcomed by mint tea and andalus musique. The rooms have some of the greatest architecture and moroccan decor. The breakfast has a Kanoon Player playing the whole time you are having breakfast. This is served in a little island inside the pool. The pools are very relaxing and the food is out of this world.
If you want to relax in a very a beautifull moroccan marakech hospitality, this is the place to be. This Hotel is a historic monument in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Casablanca, Morocco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

First of all, I would recommend all the guests of this "Palace" to check the room they are affected to before getting installed, there is a lot of misleading information they give you when you reserve compared to what you get on your arrival.
I had reserved a room on the golf side, to enjoy the green while working on some stuff on internet. After getting installed, I checked the balcony, I found out that the view was NOT what I have been told. When I told the receptionnist that the room does not have a golf view, she seemed that she already knew about it and she proposed another room. We moved to the other room, packed and unpack our luggage. I sate on the balcony, I turned on my computer and I found out that there is no internet!! I called the reception one more time, they told me that person in charge of IT wil not be there until the next day! The truth is they just want to keep me in that room, because even if the person in charge was there, he could not do nothing about it, For there was no Wi-fi antenna installed in that part of the hotel!!! I told the receptionnist that I need internet he told me and lied to me that there is no room available in the whole hotel!!!! I asked to see the manager, here I had my biggest deception.... he told me he is sorry, but he could do nothing about it.!!! Mr. Ziate said that it is true that the first room has not a golf view because there is a hill blocking the view, but it was on golf side which in his opinion cost more!!! For the second room, he told me the same thing as the receptionnist ( the person in charge of IT is not here) when I told him that I myself in the field of IT, and that there is no wifi equipement installed, he told me that I am right and he proposed to get me back to my original room.
To sum up, this is the worst 5 star palace I have been in, the personnel is not helpful. on check out I had to wait for an hour to get my luggage down. During meals you have to almost fight with other customers to find a table where to sit. The buffet is very boring, and it does not get replenished frequently... there is no manager on duty in the restaurant, waiters argue with each other in front of customers, customers argue with each other over free tables.
it is almost impossible to find a relax in front of the swimmin pool. people leave their towels on the relax, one can not know if they are coming back or not, and there is no one to manage it.
When the housekeeping stop by the room, it seemed like if they clean the room with dirty waters. It is true that the spray the room with deodorant, but it still smells funny.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. Do not take golf view rooms, it is not worth what you pay for.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Othmane M
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

If you want a relaxing, indulgent and friendly hotel you should consider this one. Fantastic architecture and gardens, you forget you are in the desert. Great contrast to the hussle and bustle of the souks. I escaped in the spa while my husband tackled the immaculate golf course. Fantastic selection of restaurants offering both local and international dishes for all tastes.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Trigirl113
PGP_contact, Manager at Palmeraie Palace, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Dear Miss Trigirl,

Thank you for sharing your comments on tripadvisor.

It was a real pleasure to welcome you at the Palmeraie golf Palace and we are thrilled that you enjoyed staying with us.

We would like to thank you for these wonderful comments.

We are looking forward to welcome you again very soon.

Sincerly yours

Omar Fassi Fihri
Rooms Division Manager
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

We stayed here (my wife and I) while celebrating our wedding anniversary. The price was very reasonable for what you get, The garden at night is amazing and to be far away from the busy city was refreshing. It seemed that we were in two different places. I would definitely come here again. I am surprised about other comments with the staff - my own experience was excellent - the rooms are very quint and cosy we loved them very much. If you want a place that makes you feel good when you come back after a long trip/adventure in Marrakesh please do try Palmeraie Golf Resort.
Their Hammam Spa is very good also.

Room Tip: Ask fora pool view room.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neekall J
PGP_contact, Manager at Palmeraie Palace, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dera Mister Neekall,

We would like to thank your for your comments. Your feedback is extremely important as it helps us to improve our service.

My team and I have taken notice of your highly positive remarks: they are our best rewards and they strongly encourage us to uphold the level of excellence you are entitled to expect…

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you once again at the Palmeraie golf Palace.

Sincerly yours.

Omar Fassi fihri
Rooms division Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marrakech
Hotel Du Golf
La Maison des Oliviers
La Maison des Oliviers
#1 of 1 in Lagouassem
Sofitel Marrakech Palais Imperial

Been to Palmeraie Palace? Share your experiences!