“Poor Palmeraie”
Review of Palmeraie Palace

Palmeraie Palace
Ranked #129 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 25 May 2008

I would never stay at this hotel again, the staff are lazy and bad mannered, they seem to spend more time chatting to each other then looking after the guests. The rooms poor and very small, our room had more blood stains from killed mosquitos than paintwork. My wife and i received several bites during our stay. When we asked for the room to be sprayed all we received was a small plug in with pad, so beware. The food is below par and as it is outside buffet style it is normally covered in flies and wasps with very little attempt to cover it. The location is too far away from the centre and isolated. Why it has 4/5 stars i do not know. Our room was a good 3 minute walk from reception, and as the room key failed several times every day it meant a long walk to get it fixed. Again no apoligies from the staff.
If you want to spend all your break sitting by the pool well outside Marrakech, eating food after the wasps have finished with it and chasing waiters then this is the place for you. Otherwise dont go there. We checked out early and moved to the Soffitel which is within walking distance of the centre and the staff are caring and polite.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank wamajht

Reviewed 13 April 2008

We have just returned from a 4-night stay at the Palmeraie Golf Palace, with two kids aged 6 and 8, and definitely do not recommend it. Yes, the rooms are nice (though there was a really horrible musty smell in ours), and the lobby area is beautiful, but that's about as far as it goes on plus points.
The hotel itself and its immediate grounds are attractive, but the complex which houses the shops, restaurants, nightclub and bowling is a disgrace and needs an urgent upgrade.
There is literally NOTHING else around this resort, so unless you want to pay a fortune in taxis you are stuck here in the middle of nowhere. We took the courtesy bus into Marrakech every day, and then got a cab home as the last shuttle bus is 5.45pm. But it would have been nice to have walked out of the hotel to visit another bar/restaurant occasionally.
On our first day, we decided to take a look at Nikki Beach and asked the guy on the gate (in French) where it was. He pointed us in the direction, but when we got there it was closed and a man nearby told us that children were not allowed in anyway. When we got back, the man on the gate asked us if we had found it. I replied (in French) that we had, but that it was closed and that children were barred, and he said, yes, I know! So why didn't he tell us that rather than having us walk along a busy , dusty main road with no pavements in many places with two young kids?!!!
We thought the choice at the buffet breakfast was fairly poor for a 5-star hotel, and it was the same every day. Also, as it is served outside by the pool when the weather is fine, birds keep flying in and picking stuff out of the nut/cereal bowls, which are left uncovered, and wasps surrounded us one morning when my husband had honey on his pancakes. The staff could see we were almost under a swarm and did nothing to help.
We ate in two of the themed restaurants (there are four on site) and they were almost deserted. Didn't think the choice was that great, and it was expensive.
Drinks are particularly expensive everywhere in the hotel, and they add a 10% service charge to every single one - even if you are standing at the bar rather than waiting at a table - that's probably why the staff are not very helpful/quick because they know they are going to get a tip come what may. I should add that the housekeeping staff were all very helpful, courteous and pleasant, and tried to speak in English even when they knew I could speak French.
My husband took our boys to the bowling alley, and four out of six lanes were out of action so there was quite a wait to play. He said it was pretty shabby (like much of that part of the complex), but they enjoyed themselves when they got to play.
To sum up, I think the hotel is too far from the action to make it a good choice. We felt it was too much of a conference hotel (it was amazing the difference between the atmosphere during the week and the weekend) and did not live up to our expectations of a five-star luxury retreat. We will not be returning, nor will be be recommending the resort to others.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2008

I have stayed in this hotel with my wife for three nights during a business activity in Marrakesh.

Before speaking about the hotel, i would like to take the attentions of the visitors of Marrakesh that passport control in Marrakesh airport is soo much time consuming. It took me over one and half hours to finish from the very long queue and slow motion of the immigration officers. If you have kids, God be with you. I could see families suffering from control their kids for such time. On the way out, passport control was quite okay but the airline agent at the baggage drop are extremely slow. it took more than 10 minutes at the counter to issue the boarding pass. They have long queues also. Frankly 2 hours before the flight is not simply enough.

Luckily we reached the hotel at 8 PM after a long 14 hours flights (2 flights + 5 hours connection in casablanca). The welcoming was nice and the hotel did look good from the first sight. The hotel didn't seems to be that big in the beginning, but when we were escorted to room 3135, we knew how massive the hotel is.

The room we got is quite spacious, the setup was good, a spacious living area with a large bed. The toilet was okay but could be better for a 5* hotel i believe. The amenities are excellent mainly with the shampoo of Cedar perfume.

The problems we faced in the room were three, the TV was extremely too small for such room size, most of the hotels in this rating do offer now an LCD or Plasma screen... The other one was when having the shower, you can simply fill the toilet with water as the isolation glass is small. The last one was at checkout where i noticed that i have been billed for minibar which we didn't take. Looks like the service personnel didn't check it out before we checked-in.

The internet is available over wireless and it costs 150 Dirham a day. they don't offer other package option.

The hotel has a massive swimming pool, a great landscaping, and a nice restaurant at the pool side.

We had breakfast at the Grand Bleu Rest. and it was nice be near the water at that time of the day. But the disappointment was that the breakfast variety weren't that much.

We had a nice dinner at the Leroys's Kfe and the food was pretty good.

We have tried the Barrakat bar and the moments were peaceful with a nice music.

At the time we were there, the sports bar was empty, seems like no game was scheduled during that night.

We have done a massage session (relaxation massage) for one hour. They have a room for couples and have chosen to take it. Apparently when we entered it, we noticed that it was such a small room. We could even notice the difficulty in the movement of the masseuses. Unfortunately other rooms were taken, no choice of change. The massage itself was good.

Now for the outside activities, if you are a person who like to be near the city and close to activities in the town, this hotel might not be for you. The hotel is easily 20 to 30 minutes far from the city and we had to take shuttles to do any activity.

The hotel can be for business activities and for family breaks. I am not a person who plays golf but i enjoyed the pool side. We could see plenty of couples who are coming for fun.

The hotel has a shopping centre and you can find a teller machine, a general market, clothing, and hairdressing.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 April 2008

I read the reviews before we went. We had a lot of apprehension about the trip given that we are from the US and Denmark and had children along. Shame on us. It is a great hotel, great city and very, very friendly country. The hotel room we had at first was a small suite, very nice but noise at 130am and 6am, so we complained. The GM offered us an upgrade, to a huge, huge, luxurious two bedroom suite with a fantastically private location, no extra charge, and really very generous. We opted for the connecting room closer to the child friendly pool-out of consideration for the kids. They met many friends from around the world.
The bowling alley was perfectly acceptable for what it is. The restaurant choice were also very good. Hard to complain about pricing because the dollar is so poor. Our kids, 9 1/2 and 11 really enjoyed the tea (Shay) offered in the lobby along with the sitar being played. The staff had excellent English, although we tried out best to respect the fact that we should try some Arabic (see SurvivalPhrases.com) and they were impressed and it really broke the ice, but once I punished their ears with my Arabic, they preferred English. I felt obligated to at least learn Hello, Please, Thank You and a few other words, no matter what country we travel and the kids do so readily.
Nikki Beach was pretty much a waste. Not allowing kids at all and sometimes had "VIP" parties with a mean looking bouncer at the entrance. After one week never got to see it.
Every price must be negotiated....EVERY PRICE MUST BE NEGOTIATED in Marrakesh...that includes Taxi. We paid 250 MAD from the airport to the hotel and 150 or so back. Basically, everyone wants more but it is about 100 DM to and from the city for 4 to the hotel, less than $15 US. Pretty cheap if you ask me and well worth it. The hotel also has the shuttle that everyone wrote about and it is very fine and free but I can not complain about a $15US taxi ride for four. You do need to haggle with the cab before you get in...just walk away and they will take whatever you offer the second you give them another chance. Learn and know your price and do not over tip, it is your own fault if you do. It makes it hard on them and on the next customer.
Avoid carpet shops and all the huge furniture shops....good luck!!! It is actually a mandatory part of the trip. Look at it that way and just smile and nod, say "Shukran" and good bye and enjoy the culture. If you want to but stuff, go ahead. I hate to shop and I hate to argue to I did not buy much.
What a fantastic culture and what friendly people. Hope this helps. I really have more to say but I just want to help. You will be surprised at how French it is. If you speak French, so does everyone in Marrakesh.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2008

Good hotel and facilities in particular the golf. Suggest a reound of golf with a personal caddy all for about £50! I felt like royalty having this bloke carrying my bag and racking the bunker etc for me. Only downside was the cost of beer approx £4.00 for a 250ml bottle of the local stuff. Rooms very comfortable. Great break but shame about the dicky stomach I had which I put down to the carpaccio of beef that I had in the Italain theamed restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2008

I stayed there with my girlfriend and 2 children at the end of December 2007 for a week.
At first glance the hotel is very attractive. The rooms are spacious and well laid out.
But very quickly we found out that we were in for a tough week:
Here is what you should expect:
· The worst service ever
· Safe wasn’t working
· Hairdryer broken
· A terrible kids club (don’t go there with children)
· Don’t go to the bowling alley (if its still open).
· Don’t go to the SPA. This was the worse place EVER! The staff there is not experienced at all.
· They have a shuttle bus that will take you to the center of town. The problem is that they from you off at the post office which is a 20 minute walk from the souk.
· The concierge doesn’t have any information on places to do or to visit.

The food was good at the Moroccan restaurant and the LeRoy Kfe.

This is a congress hotel so I don’t recommend that you go there on holiday.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank S J
Reviewed 4 January 2008

We stayed at the Palmeraie Golf from 18-22 December in two rooms. The resort was beautiful although I have stayed in better 5 star resorts! The resort is located about 20 minutes away from all attractions. They had a shuttle to take you into town; However, it only ran so many times a day and the return trip was in 45 minutes of your drop off. We got several cab trips back and it got expensive after about the 4 trip back.

The food was good but expensive. We ate an "American breakfast" daily. The Mororroca buffe was good. My teenagers would eat by the pool and it was fun to meek other guests from all over the world. Becasue we had 2 adults and 4 teenagers our food bill was extemely expensive. It's much cheaper to eat in town!

The staff spoke little to no English, but very friendly. I had a spa treatment and pedicure and it was great!

The resort is great if you just would like to hang at the resort , swim, bowl, play golf and ride camels---all located on the resort. We took a day to just do resort things.

Overall it was great, but I would live closer to attractions next trip!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family