Royal Mirage Marrakech
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Riad Vendome & Spa Marrakech(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$242
Agoda.com
US$635
US$620
Kasbah Le Mirage(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$67
US$112
Elvoline
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Positives - location - walking distance to souks. Tourist bus stop outside. 2 pools, tennis courts, rooms spacious - 2 large beds. Probably sells itself with its "deals"
Negatives - this year service was poor - no one really acknowledged you particularly in restaurant - if you didn't call a waiter over you could go all meal without being asked if you wanted a drink. Whilst realise all city hotels have very transient guests we were for 5 days and felt no one interested. Think drinks at the hotel are quite expensive.
Air conditioning running hot , opened windows at night but club on hotel site - music till 5am ! asked to change room - standard of 2nd room better and air conditioning worked.
Food wont starve but ok, a few different restaurants in the hotel but only main one and Indian open - indian pay on use.
No service around pool have to go to bar - only open by one pool.

Room Tip: Our 2nd room was overlooking the Main pool.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank angela18
Reviewed 7 November 2012

A group of four chose to stay at the Albatros Garden Hotel for a long weekend. The hotel is clean, and the room was sizable. Wifi in the lobby was useful. Pool area was lovely although in October the pool a tad chilly for my liking.
Staff did not really seem keen to provide any local information. The Red tour bus stops by the hotel and provides a good option for visiting the markets etc.
The Spa experience was mixed. The Hamman was an interesting experience and went well. However the manicure and pedicure received in the dark was NOT good. My nails looked worse after!
We opted for half board, which for a weekend was fine, however the buffet was limited in options and would be repetative for longer stays. There is lots of great food to be found outside a short and inexpensive cab ride away.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We arrived at 11.30 were offered no food or drink and had to pay the equivalent of £60 for a cold meal which took two hours to arrive. Drinks are very pricey £2.50 for a soft drink coffee etc. So if you want to sit by the pool all day with family this works out to be a lot! Buying drinks out side the hotel and bringing them back is much cheaper but you have to smuggle them in or the guards will take them off you at the door! The food is horrible and does in no way cater for English people. Teenagers beware!The rooms are fine, but do not have tea or coffee making facilities so again its £2.50 for every drink. The staff do not speak English. Find some where else. There are so many good hotels you do not need to use this one. Very disapointed never written bad reveiw in over thirty years of travelling. ,

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 November 2012

no problems we had a great time. Everybody friendly rooms were clean food in the med restaurant was great :-) . We were really impressed with the breakfast. If anything to fault cause Us British are good at that lol the drink & soft drinks are over priced :-( we found a super market and the same wine was a hundred dirrams more . Overall had a great stay we will def go back :-)

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank hughesholiday
Reviewed 2 November 2012

This was the best hotel I have ever stayed in, I would say that its a few points short of excellent but you won't be disappointed.

Arrival:
Prepare for things to start moving at a slower pace, we were directed away from the reception to some sofas and given mint tea before we checked in. It took about 20 minutes to get to our room so just expect this. This greeter and the bellboy should probably be tipped so make sure that you get some small notes when you exchange your money or buy something at the airport to make change.

Location:
The airport and the center are within walking distance (20-30 mins) and the walk to the square from the gates of the hotel requires no turns at all. Taxi's to and from the main square were about D20 in the daytime but they will try to charge you more. I found it best to tell them how much you will pay and walk off if they don't accept. They will call you back and accept. further on taxis, do not let anyone get you one including hotel staff or you will pay much more, this is especially true when returning to the airport, where you may be asked for 10 times the standard fair. Expect to pay double for an airport run as there is no job at the other end but from this hotel I would flag one down on the street myself, agree a price (maybe D50-D70 and certainly not D200). NEVER LET ANYONE GET YOU A TAXI INCLUDING HOTEL STAFF.

Grounds & Pool:
Excellent. From the moment you wake up until you lay your head down you will see staff maintaining the stunning grounds. There was never a moment where I considered this hotel less than the most well looked after building in the world. No leaves, litter or dirt anywhere at any time (eg an orange fell off a tree onto the lawns and was removed within 30 seconds). Pool always looked spotless and very little if any chlorine in the water. the music is inoffensive and does not skip however if you spend a lot of time at the pool you will notice that it does loop and is repeated daily in the same order. This is probably the only thing I would change.

Room:
Excellent. Our double room was a room with 2 double beds, very spacious and immaculate. regular and thorough room cleaning. nice balcony (try to get pool/garden view as we spoke to people who had a view of the bins at the back of the hotel). Bulb was out on the balcony, I walked to the reception to report it and it had been replaced before I got back to the room (I walked straight back and used the lift)

Staff:
Varying levels of English usually the level of spoken English corresponded with their role ie bar and reception some, groundskeepers and kitchen staff none. All staff were very pleasant and (with the exception of the receptionists) very easy to deal with and they all seemed happy to have you there. Most of the bar staff seemed bored but it was quiet; the least enthusiastic of the staff although the all-in option was new for that bar and I think they were used to paying customers and the ensuing tips.

Food:
By far the best dessert counter I have ever seen. The deserts are obviously prepared fresh, a stunning array of choices each of amazing quality and taste using loads of fresh fruit. There is also a large basket of fresh fruit.
Breakfast was the same every day but variety enough for a weeks stay, they have staff there just to cook fresh omelets and pancakes in front of you.
Lunch and dinner were good, a wide range of dishes and staples which did change through the week although repetition of some items was evident. I am satisfied that all the food was hygienic and safe to eat although I did discover some lemon chicken that made a comeback the next day almost completely disguised by a thick tasty sauce. (this was not an issue, just an observation). The restaurant had an absolute abundance of staff on hand.

I was electrocuted in the restaurant and raised the issue with the staff, they put the food from the dish that I (and only I) could not touch onto my plate for me (I couldn't put the metal serving spoon into the food because the electric current was so strong that it made my arm jerk away). The restaurant was closed the next morning and breakfast was moved, I assume this was to effect repairs as the problem had gone by lunchtime.

Bars etc:
The hotel has a club, pool bar and pizzeria on site, all were closed as was one section of the hotel. the hotel had recently changed hands so this may be the reason or it may just be the off season. the all-in bar was basic but acceptable, the spirits are house brand but they are not watered down. 1 bottle of water per guest per day is included with the room but we had to ask at reception before we started receiving it daily in the room fridge.

Excursions:
We were told that the hotel's own excursion to the waterfall was not very good (and no monkeys). There is a rep that seems to be based in the foyer that offers trips too. Find him. He spoke very good English (and the only guy whose name was not Mohammed which is why I cant remember it). He offers trips to a waterfall which was stunning and worth the hours on the coach and the hike. We did see barbary apes and I got the impression that this would always be the case. The price was fair. Friends went on the Dune buggies and camel riding through him and they loved it compared to mixed reports we heard about the hotel's own versions.

Price:
We spoke to a guy who had booked the same time and duration as us at half-board, he paid double what we had paid for all-in, 2 ladies we met had the same holiday as us and had paid an extra £100 each than we had so I would say its very important that you search around before paying. I used the room phone for local calls and was charged D15 per call (about £1.10)

The weather in march was lovely, the hotel wasn't very busy so I can't comment on how it is when it's full but I imagine that it runs just as smoothly.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends