“Run as soon as you see this name above the doorway!”
Review of Grand Hotel Tazi

Grand Hotel Tazi
Ranked #479 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Omg! Awful, rude, incredibly expensive, oh and they pretend that they don't speak English, so that when you challenge them they raise their voice in Arabic!
First time in all our years of World travel we have ever been caught out!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank peaches032
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Tazi

Reviewed 7 October 2011

I've been all around the world and stayed in many dumps (including hostels with garbage bag window blinds, carpets of shaved hair and decorated with educational posters about the dangers of rat feces and the spread of hanta virus), but Hotel Tazi still stands out as a memorably wretched and humourously seedy establishment!

the hotel has two things going for it: central and swimming pool. The lobby looks like a seedy scene from a Graeme Green novel, so I'll give it a third of a poitn for atmosphere.

The balcony door to our room wouldn't close, and had no window in it anyway, so not the most secure. The bathroom lights didn't work (we wore headlamps) and there was one towel to share for our three person room. When I asked for more towels, one of the staff, after significant prodding, one of the staff grudgingly brought me to another room, which had recently been/was clearly still in use, snatched used towels off the beds, folded them, and handed them to me. They were not too stained (not so with the bedsheets), so we were happy.

The place is literally falling apart, with 2/3 of the rooms in various stages of collapse and endless rennovations.

Stay at a riad instead -- far better value for money, atmospheric (in a good way) and you're less likely to catch a communicable disease than at Hotel Tazi.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Phlatfoot
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Although I did not stay in this hotel, I went to the hotel's restraunt for a meal with my girlfriend, as was recommended by a "helpful" citizen. I had asked the guy to show me a small restaurant on my first day in Marrakech, and he cleverly took me on a round-about route, avoiding Jemma El Fna as he knew much better restaurants could be found there. An elderly waiter then informed us that all they had was a set menu- we were starving so we stated that we only wanted the tajine chicken, agreeing on a price of 100Dh each. His general demeanour was terrible and it only got worse when we didn't want the set menu or the expensive beer he thought we should drink. The food was good-I must admit- but at the end the waiter presented us with a bill of 350Dh!! Drinks had only come to 80Dh (two beers and 2 soft drinks), but he stated that there was a mandatory 10% service charge. I used the calculator on my phone to shaw him that even with the extra charge the bill did NOT amount to 350Dh, but instead of apologising for the error, he instead got angry and refused to give me my change until I showed him that I was getting angry. That made for a lousy start to our holiday and my advice is that you do NOT eat there as you are liable to be conned.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sam G
Reviewed 19 August 2011

This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at. A taxi driver recomended it, and we chose it only bacause of the location and that they had a swimmingpool. The towels we got was already dirty, and the room was disgusting. They are refurbishing many of the rooms and the pool area, so it might be better soon. The staff was friendly.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Ann-Kristin S
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Am writing this having had two days of misery after eating here. Feel stupid we went there as I have now read reports about it but in the heat of the moment in the Square the offer of a nearby place where you can have a beer with a meal was very tempting. The cats climbing all over the dirty dishes should have been warning enough about hygiene standards. Spend a wretched two days getting over food poisoning which apart from the gripes and pain knocked a big hole in a five day trip.
Don't go there.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HuddersfieldGeorges
Reviewed 23 April 2010

I was just wandering around Google and started checking out Hotel names I could remember. It has been about 30 years, but this dump really left an Impression. I still remember that my room had no less than eight different patterns of wall paper. Even the door knob had been wall papered. Had to keep the light off (a single naked bulb mounted to the ceiling) to avoid going nuts with all the different patterns colliding in their haphazard way.

Cheers.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 December 2009

If you haven't got a sense of humour or are seeking European standards, then this is certainly not for you. For Grand it may have been 50 years ago, but I suspect its real ranking is about 1 star - 2 at a stretch. The sometimes shabby and gloomily-lit rooms are often in a state of semi-collapse, but each time I have stayed here I sleep very well and am curiously comfortable. I don't use the bar (but at least there is one) - but have enjoyed the breakfast in the draughty broken-windowed dining room where the service has been charming. It's got atmosphere, and it's in a great position (the Djemaa el Fnaa just a few minutes walk) for nipping out of the high street hassle.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple