“Great location, OK rooms, but poor service”
Review of Hotel Ali

Hotel Ali
Ranked #407 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Costwolds
“Great location, OK rooms, but poor service”
Reviewed 13 January 2010

Used this place on two occasions during an Explore tour of Morocco during Xmas and NY 2009.

The location is perfect, being on the edge of Djemaa el Fna square. This does mean you can't always get too park near it though which sometime leads to a walk of a few minutes with your bags. It's not that quiet, but if quiet's your thing then you probably shouldn't go to Morocco! Has a great roof terrace in which to get a view of the square, mosque and some fantastic sunsets!

The rooms are average for basic Morocco hotels. Not everything will work, there will be a bit of peeling plaster or paint, but generally it was clean. Beds were OK and there were plenty of extra blankets (as it gets cold at night).

Due to the place also having a Hammam on-site, there was always plenty of hot water (a luxury in basic hotels).

The breakfast was (as is the norm) bread and jam. Sometimes there were omlettes or pancakes, but it was a little sporadic in quality and timing.

The service levels were very poor when tested on a couple of occasions; before you finished your breakfast they were telling you to hurry up so they could clear the table, this happened on several occassions, but you just ignore it after a while; on our second visit the room we were given had a broken toilet (still in pieces and clearly beyond repair), but when we asked for another room we were given a "what do you want me to do about it". Luckily our Moroccon tour leader was passing at the time and a few words from him ended in us having a new room which was fine.

Overall it was an OK hotel. You get what you pay for and we were never expecting any luxuries. However, with a little work and customer service it could ba a great little place.

PS. has free Wi-Fi downstairs in the hotel

• Stayed December 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 12 January 2010

This hotel is all about the location. Apart from that I can't think of too much to recommend it. The rooms vary in size from miniscule to vast but they tend to suffer from a musty smell and poor bedding. However, some do have a great balcony overlooking the square.

The staff also seem to have a laconic manner about them as well as a real distain for their guests. I was asked to leave my table in the restaurant a couple of times within about 10 seconds of finishing my drink.

I can't say that I recommend this place. If they sacked the staff and provided the building with a facelift, it really could be quite a special place.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

hornchurch
Reviewed 5 January 2010

As part of a tour I stayed at the Hotel Ali onChristmas night and boxing night. Check in was fine and i was allocated a room on the top floor. It was small and a bit dark and had a not very secure door that led out on to a seating area that looked quite pleasant.
The room had a double bed in it and not much else. The toilet had a shower right next to it that had no curtain and was just draining in to the floor which was fine as there was hot water with a reasonable pressure. I was thrilled to find a hotel with a hot shower so was quite happy. However, when I tried to sit on the toilet I realised that as a 6' female with long legs this was impossible unless I sat sidewards!! The front of the seat was so close to the wall in front unless you were limbless or vertically challenged you had to use the loo side saddle!! I felt like the queen!
I did ask for a different room and was put in a larger room that had no lock so i had to leave my valuables in a friends room. I asked them to fix the lock but they said they could not as it was a friday?? Yes I know it was christmas day but we were in a moslem country.Our tour guide managed to persuade them otherwise and the lock was fixed within the hour.
At breakfast, the dining area was alive with flies so it put me off my food.
The location was great though and right near the main square which was handy.
Next time I go back to Marrakech I hope to be accompanied by a millionaire who could take me to the Hotel Mamounia up the road. Winston churchill described it as his favourite place on earth and having visited it for the afternnon I can see why! I don't think he would have felt the same if he had gone to the Hotel Ali!

• Stayed December 2009
Reviewed 25 November 2009

This place was listed in Lonely Planet travel guide as having been recommended by several backpackers. They have private as well as dorm beds, the showers are piping hot, breakfast is included, and the good dinner buffet of tajines is only 50 dirham.

Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 31 August 2009

I have been a guest countless times in this hotel, both single and as a couple, and always received a warm welcome. The service is quick, the staff most polite, food very good. Of course you get what you pay for, but in most instances I was put up in a very nice large room, and have no complaint.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank morocco
London
Reviewed 26 August 2009

I had been told about this hotel and had read reviews. I knew it was 1* but still expected more than I got. I ordered a double room and was placed in a quad room. The room was an OK size and so was the bedroom however it was basic. At first the air con kept turning itself off however once they sorted it out it was ok.
Breakfast was very basic....one pancake, one cup of orange juice and a tea or coffee offered.
The location was amazing....in the medina. You literally step out and you have all the action in front of you.
The towels were rough and grey.
The hotel has 2 bureau de exchanges.
From the third floor there is a balcony that overlooks the square where the souqs occur.
The shop next to the hotel sells city bus tickets
There isnt a life in the hotel so if you have heavy luggage you have to carry it, not ideal if you are on the 2nd or 3rd floor.
The hotel offers a salon....they do hair, massgaes, manicures etc
No safes in the room and doors arent very secure so wouldnt necessarily leave my bags unlocked.
WI-FI is available however not an internet cafe as stated.
The bed linen is not in the best condition....the pillows were lumpy and need changing.
We stayed on the 2nd floor and there was lots of overhead scraping which became very annoying
The restaurant downstairs was covered in flies and had cats walking around....not very hygienic.
I wouldnt stay here again....however I guess if you'e a backpacker on a budget then its just up your alley.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Came here on first and last night of a world challenge organised expedition in the Atlas mountains.

Was here last year too for the same event, and overall am pleased with the hotel. The staff are great and only too keen to please. Food - especially in the evening is very good - and the roof terrace has a wonderful view. It really does provide a flavour of genuine Morocco.

This said, the rooms are basic and not always well appointed. Cleaning was clearly done, but this is not by anyone's standards a 5*! Bathrooms leave something to be desired and our air con did not work which made for a sticky night in 40 degree heat!

It is useful to be so central and a great base for the souks and main square. Ibrahim - the agent we dealt with and his staff were happy to accomodate us and the group and came up with creative solutions at a busy time for logistical issues. I will be glad to return here - but not for a luxury break with my other half! Better for younger and backpacking travellers.

I will be glad to return here - but not for a luxury or family break - ideal for younger

• Stayed July 2009