“Good Value for Money, but looking a little tired....”
Review of Hotel Amine

Hotel Amine
Ranked #453 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
Somerset
“Good Value for Money, but looking a little tired....”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I booked this hotel for a long weekend away at the end of April. The weather was excellent when I was in Marrakech (34 degrees) but the ineffective Air-Conditioning at night was next to useless - needed to leave the balcony window open all night which was OK as no bugs, but some traffic noise from the main road and petrol station immediately in front of the hotel grounds. Room was quite spacious with fitted wardrobe and clean bathroom - as others have mentioned, the bathrooms could do with a spruce up; ripped shower curtain, missing grouting etc and the towels were wafer thin! Nice balcony with table and 1 chair. The room door didn't feel especially secure and no way to lock the room when you were inside. As already mentioned in other reviews, the drinks in the hotel are ridiculously expensive, especially as no drinks are included with your evening meal - not a single mouthful of water! Most of the staff were very friendly, and the pool was very welcome in the heat, even though it could do with better cleaning - looked slightly cloudy. Overall very good value for money, but definitely not a 4* by Western standards.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the back of the hotel away from the main road will be quieter. Room numbers 30-35...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MartinRBH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed for a week with bed and breakfast. We had a twin room, which we eventually found after a long walk through an ugly maze of rough pink stone pillars, winding walkways, on and on, until finally we found the room. It was very shabby, in poor decorative order, and had certainly seen better days. The bedding was clean, but the room was very tired looking. We had booked a reasonably priced/ low cost holiday, and my friend raised an eyebrow and said "You get what you pay for." but I don't think that is any excuse for a low standard of upkeep. There was a balcony which overlooked the garden. The beds were not comfortable, and neither of us slept that well.

It would possibly have been grander in its heyday, the hall and reception area would have been quite nice with the addition of some lush plants, a jolly good clean, cracks filled and a coat of paint. It was obvious that there was not the money to spend on refurbishing the place.

There was a gift shop there, but it was never open

The staff were helpful and pleasant.

Next to the hotel on the main road was a petrol station with a very good shop, where we could buy food, and gifts, and the locals used the little cafe there for coffees. It was very clean, so we had no worries about stocking up on snacks and water.

Breakfast was in the restaurant on the lower ground floor. The doors opened out into the terrace and pool area further round, but it was too chilly to eat outside at that time of day.

The breakfast "buffet" consisted of a large bowl of unidentifiable cereal (flakes from the floor of a chiropodist, I thought,) but no milk..we had to ask for some, and a small cup was provided, but they did finally bring a large jug of milk for the cereal. There were a few large baskets of mini croissants, mini pains au chocolat and cut baguettes, dishes of butter and sachets of jam. There was a small display of metal dishes containing sliced tomatoes, olives, cucumber sometimes and a sort of pink spam. We ended up eating the bare minimum, and going into the centre of the City for our meals

A lady was cooking what I thought were pancakes on a griddle, but it turned out it was heavy, greasy, rubbery flatbread, which was so chewy and heavy, I couldn't eat it. I never saw her smile, and she banged these out with little care.

We had to constantly ask for napkins, butter, milk, and the coffee and tea to be replenished. The tea and coffee were served in big urns, and sometimes the cups were dirty, and sometimes there were no saucers or plates. The staff were obviously rushed, and seemed harassed, they were as cheerful as they could be, and smiled and obliged our requests.

This is sounding like we were demanding everything all the time, but everyone was doing it, because it was so bad, and quite honestly, the level of food and range of choice was appalling. On most mornings, the breads were stale..once, the whole basket of croissants were rock hard, and completely inedible.

We were very glad we had opted for only breakfast here. I dread to imagine what the dinner would have been like!

By contrast, the pool area was very nice. Comfy seats with cushions, and a pleasant pool attendant..it was only spoilt by the fact that he also fancied himself as a DJ, so we had to endure a variety of pop music playing from his console by the pool as well. It would have been far nicer to have a bit of peace and quiet, but apparently people like noise when they are relaxing. It was off season,and there were possibly only a dozen people there at most, so it wasn't as if he had to do the seasonal entertainment. The loos by the pool were clean, as were the ones in the main hotel areas.

There was a good, fairly unexciting restaurant opposite the hotel over the side road, and we had a few meals there. It was only on our last but one night we discovered an excellent restaurant just down the road, through a doorway surrounded by flowers, (we nearly missed it,) which was very good. The restaurants further down the road towards Town were pretty bad. Very basic, and I mean VERY basic pizza type places. To be avoided.

As an example, I ordered a mushroom pizza (it was one of those times when you're fed up with walking up and down, it's late, you're tired and hungry, so you decide anything will do. My friend is a diabetic, so we couldn't waste too much time, as she needed to eat pretty quickly). Well, finally the pizza arrived...but with no mushrooms. I had to wait ages until the chap appeared again, and I asked if I could have some mushrooms. He went away, and pointedly returned with the pizza, with ONE mushroom sliced over it. I was so fed up I wasn't going to risk a mishap in the kitchen if I had sent it back again. I suppose they had a point..it was a mushroom pizza!!

We could hail cabs directly outside the hotel which would take us to the centre of town, or the big Plaza area with more modern shopping centres, and the hotel was fairly close to the magnificent Jardins Majorelle, which are truly wonderful and well worth a visit.

I have been to Marrakech twice now, but I would not go to this hotel again, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Were there any good rooms?...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Windsor, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed in a twin room with a balcony overlooking the pool. This hotel is large, well decorated and has a pretty courtyard and pool. The rooms are reasonably comfortable although can get cold inside but plenty of blankets available (anyway you may prefer that in the hot weather)! The beds were very comfortable after a long day in Marrakech. The room looks basic and the floor tiles in the bathroom are dirty looking and cracked in places, the shower head is not fixed in wall so a shower involves sitting in the bath and it's difficult to get the heat right, I found the switch outside the bathroom eventually for hot water but it wasn't clear.
T.v old style and only English was world news but we didn't go there to watch T.V!
The breakfast was disappointing, I didn't enjoy the pancakes-too dry for my taste and the croissants left to sit in a pile and went cold. Only other food available was bread rolls, pickles and salad bits and of course oranges. The hotel has orange tree's all around it and the jam was lovely.
The best thing about the hotel were the tour guides who are stationed outside-Mohammed and Ahmed. Very friendly, fun and they take you out all day for about £20 a person (there were two of us) obviously they expect a tip on top but they are worth it! A great way to see the city in a taxi with guide.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Well! Where do I start! Food is ok not brilliant! Restaurant staff polite not reception staff!
Hard to get hold of alcohol because strict Muslim country! Catch bus to market only 4 dhirums! Taxi 30! A shop is there for alcohol! Clubs open at midnight till 5 not many about! Taxi to a club called 555 is wicked prices for drinks is expensive£18 for two!
Cheap going around thou!
Trip to Sahara desert good too paid 450 dhirums !

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Sippi99
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have never written a bad review in my life & read the reviews on here to make my choice on booking. Normally you will always get the people who will moan about anything but they were correct. Broken sunloungers, rubbish breakfast and rooms awful. The cost of the drinks round the bar were double the cost of buying at local shop & signs everywhere to say not allowed to bring any food or drink back to hotel. One towel each for the bathroom and sheets were not changed all week. There was public hairs and dirt in bidet which was not cleaned out all week, sink and bath had slight cracks in them and really stained and dirty. I would say they should spend more money on sunloungers and important things rather than having around 6 staff at breakfast who were watching you like hawks. We took a couple of croissants in a serviette to have at the pool in the next five mins but were told off, the next few days there were french people etc carrying plate fulls of food out to around the pool. I loved Marrakech and the area but would never step foot in that awful hotel ever again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank karen n
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

It is the most family friendly hotel ever. Quiet and in a brilliant location. I was very sceptical about coming to Hotel Amine after seeing all the reviews. But if you are after value for money and lovely service this is the place. Especially being alcohol free. I came in April with my husband and 10 year old daughter
The friendly welcome at reception from Aziz and the dining service from the other staff (too many to name) was sincere. The staff really try to perfect your vacation.
The room was a little tight and tired, however we just used it to sleep and change and refresh and then back to sight seeing. I enjoyed every moment except when the weather let us down.
The location was brilliant there is an ATM and Bank just outside and lots of restaurants to choose from. Diamant Vert round the corner did the best white coffee ever and if you turn right at the gates of Hotel Amine at a petrol station they served the best Harira for only 5 Dirhams equivalent to £0.40p. Which my daughter couldn't get enough of. Where the Moroccan natives came to eat surely they know their stuff and they love value for
The meals at the Hotel Amine where lovely and filling. There was plenty of fruit. Moroccan strawberries where the best I Have ever tasted while dining for lunch they brought us the biggest bowl for extra when they saw my fussy eater daughter loved them. They couldn't do enough. They would even prepare your favourite dishes for a little tip. You look after them they look after you seems to be the Moroccan slogan
Hotel Amine had no cats while we where there, so we dined in peace.
The free WiFi area was huge range from the outside near the pool into the reception sitting area leading to the bar right up to the back of the lounge sitting area.
The other visitors seemed to be regulars who had been visiting the hotel for years. This showed loyalty. I was told most of the staff had been there as long as the furniture. I will definitely be coming to Hotel Amine again.

3 Thank Magicnails H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We went there foe week holiday we booked the halfbord there food is very bad only few items nothing like 4star room service is poor I would say this is wasting money location is not bad stuff is not frandley at all

• Stayed November 2013