“Value for Money”
Review of Hotel Amine

Hotel Amine
Ranked #460 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I was petrified after reading recent reviews regarding this hotel. I was relieved to find that this hotel is adequate, and great value for money. We paid £300 each for 10 days half board including fligthts in mid August.
The room itself was not particularly modern, however it was clean and functional. The shower hose was split, when reported to reception, it was fixed with an hour. However the new hose was quite short and I had to kneel down to wash my hair. The usual house keeping services were carried out daily by the maids to an acceptable standard, towels were repalced daily, bathrooms cleaned etc etc.
I warmed to the staff as my holiday progressed, the first day I thought 'oh my, they are so rude'. However by the end of the holiday we had a regular waiter, table, and a friendly chat with many of the staff. I think their general persona often comes accross as a bit arogant, what with their limited understanding of english and their traditional values/beliefs, however I found them all aimable, not over the top smarmy like in other countries like Egypt and Turkey.
We were really impressed with the evening meals. They were always really tasty and well cooked. There wasn't a huge variety of dishes, normally 2 mains either chicken, fish, beef or lamb, accompanied with potatoes, rice, couscous, veg and a salad style bar. Enough to keep us happy on the nights that we ate in. Breakfast was quite manotanous, the usual asian style breakfast consisting of eggs, cucmber, feta, tomatoes etc with some croissants and pastries thrown into the mix and occasional pancakes if you timed it well or asked.
The pool was well cleaned every day, there was the normal sunbed rush early in the morning.
Outside the hotel you will find Mohammed, a taxi driver with good English. We used him for several excursions for half the going rate. He's friendly and knowledgable, he will try and steer you towards his friends outlets but just tell him what you want to do and he will respect it.
Definately worth a trip is the coast, it i beautiful and far more relaxed than Marrakesh itself.
Don't waste your money on the 4x4 Atlas jeep safari, guide is in french, and quite honestly the tour itself is really boring.
The weather was scorchio the first week, hitting 50 celcius, the last few days we had cloud and rain in the morning, followed by sun in the afternoon.
I did hear some stories of other Brits being ripped off by locals, and verbally abused, and even spat at. However I think it depends on what sort of traveller you are and how much research you put into your trip. If you know how much to expect to pay for taxis, goods in the souks etc then you will leave Marrakesh a happy person. The morrocan's have a fairly hard life and will make a fast buck out of tourists if they can get away with it.
All in all, I had a lovely 10 days, we got into our stride towards the end of the holiday. The hotel was far better than expected for the price I paid, I would return to this hotel, however I wouldn't spend 10 days in Marrakesh again. I would spend more time at the coast.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank laurah13

Reviewed 19 August 2010

Went with four others, although the hotel looks stunning from the outside; however, inside the hotel is outdated. Our deal included bread a breakfast, the breakfast was awful with the same food every day, which was mainly bread, olives, tomatoes, turkey slices and powdered orange juice. What was very disturbing was that the food was not covered and flies were always on the food. Equally, the hotel cats were always in the restaurant and begging food from the residents. Our room had air conditioning however, it did not work, the towels were filthy and when we attempted to complain to the hotel, we were dismissed.

Overall, this is a very basic hotel and it does not reflect a four star at all. This hotel should be declassed to a two star. Positively, a large number of the staff was very friendly and the hotel is situated near the town, hence travel to and from the square is easy.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 15 August 2010

My husband and I travelled to Marrakesh for a 4 day break.We had read a lot of guide books and reviews of the hotel.
This obviously, by our standards in UK, is not a 4 * hotel. More like a 2* hotel. We found it fairly clean. Our sheets and towels all looked clean. The bathroom was OK ,areas that could have done with more of a clean but basically OK. Yes, its decor is tired but not offensive and if you are only going for a few days and are going to be out and about well, who cares!!!
The breakfasts were OK. Lots of croissants, pain au chocolat and bread.Also a table with fruit, olives tomatoes, cucumber and sometimes eggs on. It was hit and miss if you got pancakes but we weren't worried.
We found the staff OK.No better or no worse than you can find people all over the world.
Tips. It was too hot in August to do much. We stayed by the pool most of the time and only ventured into night market once, and medina once. We had intended to go out more but it was 47 degrees most days and 34 at night. I think we would have enjoyed it more in March/ April.
We tried to find bus stop by hotel and a man on a moped asked us if we were from the hotel. He said he worked there and advised us to get a taxi and go to some place where we would see crafts etc!!!!!! We were daft. He went off and we thought that was that but then as we walked up a side street he appeared again having hailed a taxi for us. We went in it for 30 d approx £2.50 and were taken to the tanneries on the edge of the Medina. Our moped guide turned up again and had texted ahead for us to have a guide around the tannery. The gude gave us sprigs of mint because the smell in the tannery was disgusting. To cut a long story short, everyone wanted paying and the aim of the man on moped was to get us to part with our cash at the shop at the end of the tour. It was selling bags, leather goods carpets etc.. We refused to buy anything there and the guide and moped man were not happy. Their attitude really changed. They demanded payment when we said we had had enough and wanted to go. We gave guide abot 30d but refused to give moped man anything. He was not happy!!! Then the guide asked me to give him my little Kipling monkey that hangs on my bag 'as a present'. I refused and we scarpered. Needless to say taxi had disappeared and we struggled to find our way back. So be warned.
They all have mates who they text ahead.A taxi driver did this too when we went to souks in day.He was texting in the taxi ahead so that when we were dropped off at the square a guide was there to meet us. Wise by now we refused the guide and politely told him to get lost which didn't go down too well!!! Marrakech is a fascinating place and I'm glad we went but be warned about heat in August.It is not a relaxing place. You are hassled everywhere and end up not believing anyone or trusting them.
I wouldn't go back to the Amine hotel.There was a hotel around the corner called the Imperial which was 4 star and this looked much better. We used their computer there and ate there one night and the staff were very helpful and friendly.
By the way.I worried about what to wear. Anything goes but not short shorts and very strappy, revealing tops except in hotel.
Take a pillow if you can or cushion. The pillows were the continental bolster type and rock hard!!!! Drinks in hotel and food expensive but you could eat out at Pouchi cafe around the corner dead cheap!!!
PS we didn't think the hotel pool was very clean. The water looked very cloudy. We were both ill so not sure if it was that!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2010

I stayed in the Hotel Amine during my first trip to Marrakech in August 2010.
The rooms were far from delapidated, the hotel staff were despicable. As a British tourist, I made the effort to learn some French words as I knew the most commonly spoken languages in Morroco were French and Arabic.
The bar staff refused to speak to us, taking only our orders for drinks and serving them whilst facing the other way and the rest of the hotel staff spoke to us only in French. When we asked if they spoke English, they walked away and ignored us.

I not only had a problem with the hotel, but also the actual city centre itself. Whilst my teenage daughter and I went to the nearest souk to browse, we became lost and were looking for the way back to the hotel. Out of respect for Morroco's culture as a muslim country we were dressed appropriately, wearing sunhats, glasses and cardigans so as not to offend anybody. We were then approached by a man who gave us directions back to the hotel and we expressed our gratitude, he then asked for money as payment for the directions. He ordered we give him 400 Dirham for his knowledge, which we starkly refused. When I handed him 20 as a method of getting off my back, he promptly SPAT ON ME and told my teenage daughter to "GO AND F--K YOUR MOTHER".

My teenage daughter was highly distressed, and had this occured whilst at home in Britain I would have not only knocked the gentlemans teeth down his throat, but would have thrown him through the nearest shop window. However, for respect out of a different nation's society, I composed myself and refused to retaliate.

When we asked the hotel staff later what time breakfast is usually served, they walked away from us again. We were constantly ignored throughout the entire trip by the hotel staff, and the people in the city centre were far from friendly, instead they attempted to scam us for every penny we had, letched over my 13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER, attempted to sexually harrass me and attempted to steal my hat; by which point I had simply had enough and shouted at the man who did so.

Not only would I not recommend Amine Hotel as suitable accomodation for anybody, but I would not recommend Marrakech as a holiday destination in general. I witnessed families with children walking around parts of one of the souks and wondered how long it would be until they had been scammed beyond belief.

I cannot make my words of advice any clearer, as a result of the absolutely horrible and rude hotel staff, the unfriendly and downright horrid people and being spat on by a fully grown man I would deter any human being from going to this place on holiday. It was utterly disgusting and we refused to leave the hotel complex (the lesser of the two evils, so long as the staff were not called for) for fear of being harrassed after 4 days.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank FrequentTraveller135
Reviewed 15 July 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights,our room was awful, really bad smell, the tap fell off in the bath, towels were dirty,the shower holder was broken, an old tv and twin beds, rock hard pillows,
Breakfast was ok if you liked bread,no fresh fruit,ants crawling over the tables where the food was displayed, we did have our room changed to a slightly better one. the pool looked inviting ,until we saw how dirty it looked, and the music was so loud by the pool, i couldnt even hear my i pod.Bar staff were un friendly and reluctant to give ice for our drinks,and one man was consistently rude.Glad we didnt stay any longer.Also no information at all,in hotel about whats available to see or do, we asked for a map, they say maybe tommorow. Bar in hotel was also dirty,where they prepare drinks etc.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We stayed just for two nights after a busy trip to Essouira for the festival, we just wanted to chill out by the pool. The staff were very nice and friendly but the decor is very aged...dont have a problem with that until I got into bed and found someone elses pubic hair there!! Apparently we were not the only people to suffer this indignity, another group of British tourists had found the chambermaids making the bed up with the same sheets vacated by the former residents! Its such a shame, because apart from this I really liked the hotel and pool, which is cleaned every night. The food was not great, but bear in mind Moroccan breakfasts arent anyway. If I was there for a week I would be upset at the quality of the accomodation, food and hygiene, but, for a two night chill out by a pool it was fine and I have seen a lot worse at a lot more money in Morocco!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I am 23 and i went with 8 of my friends of a similar age. we loved the hotel the pool was amazing and the fact it was cold made it even better it the heat. our room was fine we didn't spend much time in and had no need for aircon as the nights are quite cool. the breakfast was ok nothing fantastic and the race to get a pancake was an every day issue. People who think they are getting 4* may not be impressed but we paid £260 for the flight and hotel, you get what you pay for and we all very impressed. the staff where lovely to us and put all the football on as it was the world cup. the beer is about £1.80 for a little bottle but we drank else where or got beer from the supermarket ( not that your allowed to do that)
The trips in the hotel were way over prices but we booked our trip in the medina so we were never ripped off. getting the bus to town is sooooo simple it doesn't matter how far out you are. and we liked the fact we could get away from the maddness of town.
We loved the hotel and the country and all want to go bac.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends