“Fantastic Holiday and hotel is superb with great entertainment”

Hotel Riu Tikida Garden
Ranked #116 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Wigan
“Fantastic Holiday and hotel is superb with great entertainment”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

This hotel is fantastic all round.... the rooms, food, pool and entertainment.
We stayed for two weeks arriving home yesterday and I dont normally write reviews but thought his hotel desevered one.....
The rooms are spaceious we had one close to the pool room 327 and was kept clean and tidy. The food in all the restaurants was excellent. There was a vast variety of choice at breakfast, lunch and dinner. The chiefs were always smiling. The bar man at the pool bar Abdulla after the first day remember my husband and as soon as he walk in he placed two beers on the bar for him....
We always managed to get beds next to the pool only had had to be up at 7.30 and wait till 8.00 before we could leave them. However this did become a problem towards the end of our 2nd week due to the number in guests increasing however the pool guy one day did try to stop people reseverving beds for more than one person but this didn't go to plan but the hotel the next day did take a delivery of a number of extras beds to be used in the gardens. Our last fews day we did have to get up at 6.30 for beds but as we had met other people the time past fast till 8.00 with us having a coffee's and a brew to pass the morning.
The entertainment staff we all friendly and fantastic the girls Hasna was brilliant (we miss you) and Fbtisam and Gizlane were all great with the kids and Sam made our holiday he was great fun in the french bowls tournements etc .... always kept you entertained and if you didn't want to join in they were fine with it ..... Lots of games darts, badminton, football, tennis, french bowls going on during the day plus cooking and learning the lanugage.
Overall this was one of our best holidays. The hotel was out of the way but you didn't need to venture out as the food and entertainment was excellent. would recommend this hotel and the brand Riu we now fancy the Tikida Beach hotel..........

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Polish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This is a nice hotel. If I went again I would ask for a room with a view of the pool. The room I had was around the back and had a view of a small garden and a wall. The rooms are basic but clean.

The staff are really friendly and the food was lovely - a fantastic variety of tagines and a great choice of different bread, pastries, tea. All cooked fresh with healthy choices if you wanted. Probably not suitable for people who prefer McDonalds and plain food. The food at dinner time was the highlight to this hotel, we all loved it.

The bar is dull and the entertainment was minimal (piano/singer), we didn't much time in there though.

The pool is nice and large and the lunch buffet was really good too, plenty of choice.

I only stayed for 3 days and wish I stayed in a Riad in the Medina. We were out all of the days so didn't have time to laze around the pool. Taxi rides to and fro from the Medina were about 20 mins.

TIP? Watch the taxi drivers outside of the hotel. Even though they have RIU badges, they will still try and rip you off - so don't get in one offering a tour/shopping trip! He'll take you to expensive shops and you won't get any bargains. Marrakech is fab!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank TRIPPIN'OVER
Liverpool
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Just got back yesterday (30/07/12) from Riu Takida Garden, and had a very enjoyable stay. The hotel is much smaller that other Riu's I have stayed in, but it is small and perfectly formed. The staff are the jewel in the crown of this hotel and are all really hard working and happy to help you. We only went for four days and by the second day they knew what drinks we were ordering and were prepared for us as we walked to the bar. We mainly indulged in Sangria ( which is very potent) and beer (The best I've had in a Riu) but sampled other and found them all lovely. The food, as has already been mentioned, is very limited in choice but perfectly edible, one of our party (the only meat eater) was ill on return but perfectly ok while ther so who know the source. Again compared to other Riu's its no where near as extensive.

As this was a short break we really did only go for sun and Sangria so can't comment on trips or entertainment. The local entertainments team worked hard but left you alone if you were not interested.

My only real complaint about the hotel was the sunbed situation. I am an early riser and was able to secure our sunbed daily, but I did see many people come down after 8 OClock to find no sunbeds left!! It seemed ridiculous to me as there are lots of spaces in the gardens to put additional sunbeds. Riu really do need to invest in enough sunbed to cater for a full hotel. If all you want from a holiday is to chill out then this is a lovely break. I'm not sure I could manage more than a week as there is little to do in the evenings.

The hotel is spotless and the staff friendly and work tirelessly. Although I didn't need the services of the Reps they were always around and helpful. Top tip is to avoid the poolside toilets as unlike everywhere else they are repulsive. If your by the pool go back to your own room.

We travelled with First Choice/Thomson and although the outward flight was cramped it was ok but the return flight was a disgrace. I think it was built about 40 years ago and hadnt had new seats since then. The seats we had were totally wrecked and it felt like we were sitting on a toilet which is not very comfortable for 3 hours. Thomson's really need to invest in refurbishing their planes. Also it was impossible to get out of your seat as the aisle was always full of trolleys selling drinks/food/duty free. Not great if your tall -

All in all a good hotel, that I would revisit for some great weather. We have visited the other Riu Marrakech Riu which personally I preferred. I would have given it 4 circles apart from the sunbed situation. If you've booked you will have a lovely time. The weather is amazing but be prepared it was in the high 40's when we were there. So factor 30 at the least.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask, they really do accomodate you.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank cantthink
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

A very comfortable hotel, with beautiful grounds; both extremely clean and well maintained. The staff were attentive and hard working. However the service available was very limited with the staff not speaking great English.
I found that the Enteratainment was very poor, with the same activities taking place every day, the nightly entertainment was shoddy and very lazily planned out and the two bars were more like a council estate working mans clubs, with terrible singers, boring shows, children running around bored out of their minds and the place clearing out around 10pm. The all inclusive past 8pm is fine if you enjoy sitting, drinking nasty spirts and chatting non stop for 7+ days striaght. Not for me, but saying that i've yet to see/hear a review where anybody has not enjoyed the nightly entertainment. I would suggest not to plan much of your time in Merrakech in the hotel as you will be bored and missing out on fantastic experiences out around the city.
The rooms were very basic, no frills, but comforatble. They come with a TV that features british films and world news etc which is nice if you fancy chilling out in the room after a long day of adventure (Because believe me you will NOt want to sit in those depressing bars).
The food i was very surprised with as i've been to many chain hotels and not enjoyed the food, but the food in this hotel is very nice. Highly recommend the Morrocon resteraunt and treat it as a special occasion as the food is fantastic and the staff put allot of effort into making this night special for you. In the general resteraunt, there is allot of choice both lunch and dinner time, and surprisingly the food does not get repetitive. However, this hotel is certainly not a 4* so dont be expecting fine dining. The waitering staff are fantastic, and on my birthday during the trip, they laid out a special table with bubbly and a birthday cake, which my private waiter came out with and sang 'Happy Birthday' to me. Very sweet.
The pool area nice enough with nice garden areas. Be warned it get's difficult to get a bed as there is only one medium pool in this hotel and not enough beds to spread out, so they run out quickly and you need to be up before 8pm to secure one or spend the morning begging and stealing. Pritty common with budget hotels. Whilst on the subject of the pool, the water is murky and i'm sure it is not cleaned properly. I was ill on my first day after spending the afternoon in the pool swimming and i'm sure it was the pool water as i was careful with what i ate and drank on the first day. I have heard similar comments been made about this.

Whilst your in Marrakech, be sure to go visit the Waterfall as it's an amazing experience and take your wheatabix, it's a very tireing day. And go to the aqua park as its beautful and relaxing with fantastic pools. Also, dine out at Azar it is FANTASTIC food and lovely resteraunt.

Overall, i would recommend this hotel to families on a budget, adventure seekers who are using the hotel as a base to sleep and couples looking to simply relax with no frills. Just dont expect too much from the hotel and you will satisfied.

Room Tip: The air con in the rooms are not great and pulled the short straw on room views as there was a HUGE...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ross H
Falkirk
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Very welcoming and friendly staff. Beautiful hotel with lovely surroundings. Very clean rooms with free safe. We managed to get beds a little back from the pool going down at 9am, which was a good thing as the daily water aerobics and water polo soaked/attacked the beds right beside. The animation team were on the ball all day-not too in your face if you wanted to just watch. The evening entertainment shows were good but would be repetitive on a fortnight holiday.

The food was repetitive-more so than any other all inc I've been to. It was the same food for lunch and dinner with one or two changes, but the exact menu would be repeated within a few days. The Moroccan restaurant was ok, but the tagines were actually nicer in the main buffet. I ended up ill, not sure why, and as a result was looking for plain foods-this was hard to come by. I ended up eating nothing but chips for a couple days as the rice was undercooked and the pasta overcooked that day! However everyone else ate easily - including a fussy eater, and when I was better I could eat more. The deserts were delicious!

Drinks were varied-the rum was potent, but the vodka was barely tasted (even though we could see them pour the same amount) the cocktails both alcoholic and non were very tasty.

We booked some of thomsons tours-the souks and medina was NOT worth it-we were taken to a few stalls and heard some history, but we had no free time and weren't actually shown anything we wanted (like hammans). Much better to just get a taxi to the souks and wander yourself! The atlas mountains trip was good-lots of beautiful scenery and much cooler than Marrakech (good thing as it hit 46C that day). The camel trek was definitely an experience to be had-all kitted up with robes and headscarfs :)

Overall would probably return but not in summer-think it was a little too hot at times.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank L0ubyL0u
Selly Oak, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I went to Riu Tikida Gardens for a week in July 2012 and I had one of the best holidays. The staff were so attentive, as soon as you walk in the door to check in they were there to take your bags and offered everyone cocktails. The entertainment staff were one of the best entertainment teams I've ever met, and I've been to a lot of hotels like this! They really looked like they enjoy their work and are so enthusiastic all the time, despite it being the start of Ramadan when we were there, which must have been so hard of them, but they carried on and still gave that top service. Despite being in Africa, I didn't language at all an issue with any of the staff nor with any taxi drivers. French is widely spoken ( I didn't know Morroco spoke French?), despite the fact I can actually speak French I found myself speaking English the majority of the time because so many were practically fluent. The rooms were lovely, clean and fresh, perfect for the amount of time you actually spend in them. The only downside I would say is the early mornings to reserve sunbeds, we were getting up at 7:30am at the latest to get them. But I have found that to be standard practice in all hotels I've been to. One last thing- the souks in the old town are amazing, do go in and explore, don't be scared to barter!! But if you want something a bit more low key but with all the traditional morrocan culture, go out the hotel and turn left, literally a 2 minute walk around the corner is AN AMAZING LITTLE SHOP. The owner is absolutely fantastic, he has everything and anything. From the outside it may look like a little messy old shop, but don't be fouled, its like aladdins cave inside. He is very reasonable on prices as well so do go and visit him!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Emma_Runesson18
Pinner
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We arrived home on 5 July and have found it so difficult to get out of the slow lane! We were so well looked after we all relaxed totally. The food was really good and all the staff friendly and helpful. We ranged in age from 3 to 60 and we all had a ball!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family