“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #115 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
Preston, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Just returned from a week in the Tikida Garden in Marrakech. The hotel was spotless the staff were really friendly and helpful and the rooms were cleaned every day, as with other reviews the sunbed situation is ridiculous and I had no other choice but to be on the sunbed's for seven every morning as it was only myself and my two sons who are aged ten and eight who went on holiday and I needed to be by the pool so I could keep my eye on them as there is no lifeguard on duty. The staff by the pool were really good encouraging everyone to do sports which ranged from badminton, dance classes, darts, table tennis and stretching. The men's waterpolo in the pool is a must to see every day as at times got very competitive and entertaining, also the aqua aerobics everyday at noon was brilliant. The food was good with a large variety to choose from and there was enough choice for my two sons who dined on pizza, pasta, and most importantly ice cream which went down a treat every day. The night entertainment was ok with different acts every night in the salon bar the only thing about the salon bar was that it was very hot as it was on the lower ground and limited space to sit and enjoy the show. The bar staff were all excellent and very friendly. We only ventured out once and that was to the local water park which only opened a couple of years ago I must admit I was a bit dubious about going but was pleasantly surprised it was very clean and wasn't busy so my two children had a great day it is not a big park and caters more for the younger children so I wouldn't advise taking teenagers as there is only one big slide for the older one's. All in all we had a really good trip and would return to the Tikida Garden the staff made our stay very enjoyable and the hotel should be very proud of them.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank melanie D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Polish first
tyne and wear

a group of 10 of us stayed here children from 2-13
the hotel is very nice and very well kept we had a room in block 4 but it was infested with mossies so they moved us to block 1 and there was none.
there is nothing to do outside of hotel and it does get boring in the hotel as there is almost no entertainment, on a night there is a show on but its terrible we just made our own entertainment food is of excellent quality and there is a wide range of drinks all the seating areas are lovely and the staff are excellent with kids and adults, there is smoking inside which as a none smoker wasnt very nice, the childrens disco is in the smoking area so pretty awful for kids.
you can always get a sun lounger at any time of day the usual 6am bed hoggers do get up and put a towel out but even at noon there is beds
all in all i would say a excellent hotel but the entertainment program needs a serious look at if your happy to sit and relax in beautiful surroundings with nothing going on you will love it here if you want to go out for walks or be entertained its not the place for you.
also anyone with children i recomend a trip to waterpark its stunning !!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Manchester
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The hotel is lovely and clean, the gardens are really nice. The rooms were clean and spacious. The food is great, really good variety and was fresh and hot. The drinks available all inclusive where brilliant, as well as all the usual there was a cocktail menu but you could ask for pretty much any cocktail and they would make it for you which was good. The only problem with Tikida Garden is the sunbed situation around the pool, it is ridiculous. If you don't get up before 7.30pm and sit on your beach towel until 8am you would not get a bed round the pool. If you moved off the bed you reserved before 8am the pool attendants would take your towel off your bed. It was ludicrous. We spoke to people who were setting there alarm clocks for 6.30am so that they could go out and get a bed round the pool. This is not the sort of thing I expect to do on a holiday. The short of it is that there is not enough space around the pool to accommodate everyone in the hotel so people ended up sunbathing in the gardens (if it wasn't so hot it wouldn't be a problem but you need easy access to the pool) The hotel desperately needs another pool, a kids one ideally. Other than the pool situation I have no other complaints, it is a lovely hotel and the staff were great, really helpful, couldn't do enough for you. If they sort out the pool situation this would be a great hotel and I would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Huffy80
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a fantastic holiday to Marrakesh. The Rui Tikida Garden Hotel is definitely a lovely place to stay whilst visiting the contrasting city of Marrakesh. Below are my reflections on the hotel:

Pros:

*The staff - so friendly and accommodating. A real asset to the hotel.

*The cleanliness - very clean and tidy through out the hotel. Rooms cleaned everyday and fresh towels provided each day. Dining room and bars are very clean tidy too. Lots of staff constantly ensuring the hotel was spotless.

*Food and drink - Cocktails on arrival. Three bars. A large dining room for breakfast and dinner. Pool side bar for lunch. On site authentic Moroccan restaurant (needs booking - but a must try!). Large variety of food including tradtional tagines and cous cous which I really enjoyed. My boyfriend is a fussy eater however there were always things like pasta, pizza, chips etc. There is a large salad bar too. Food is cooked freshly in front of you. On a day to day basis there is little rotation of dishes however like I said before there is large variety.

*Free wifi

*Range of clientèle - I went with my boyfriend and we are in our early twenties. The hotel catered for all ages and types of people, there really was a large range from families with the babies, young children, quite a few families with teenagers, lots of couples young and old. We found that the hotel customers to all be very friendly and polite .

*Excursions and the information provided - The morning after our arrival we were invited to listen to an introduction talk by the holiday rep. He was very informative explaining lots of information about Morocco and the culture and customs. It was Ramadan when we stayed so he cleared up and worries and informed us on how to respect the religious beliefs (the fact that it was Ramadan didn't cause any problems at all). There is a variety of different excursions available such as camel treks, visiting the atlas mountains, dinner and shows, tours of the city, waterfalls and souks. My boyfriend and I decided to try the quad biking which really was fantastic although a test of endurance as it 48 degrees and you are gone for a good few hours. Make sure you take water!

*Water - At reception the hotel have free bottles of water for you take out on trips out or back to your room. The cleaner also puts a large fresh bottle of water in your room each day.

*Hotel activities - The hotel itself provides lots of activities, there is tennis/badminton/football courts, mini golf, nice gardens. There is a cenral pool and the entertainment staff carried out water aerobics every morning. Lots of people would get involved in the activities such as water polo but you werent made to do anything at all. Next to the pool is a more secluded garden with many sun loungers to relax and sunbathe but also shaded areas from the fruit and palm trees.

* It ranged from 34 - 48 degrees during my stay. I was really worried about before arriving but the weather was lovely and more importantly bearable!

*Free shuttle bus - to new town from the hotel and back offered at various times daily,

*Spa - The hotel has a spa attached to it for a bit extra you can get body wraps, massages etc.

Cons

* The bed - I found the bed quite uncomfortable, however everyone has different preferences, personally it was a bit too hard for me, however my boyfriend found it fine. I unfortunately had bad backache. I probably should have said something to reception as I have seen another comment on here where the hotel changed mattresses immediately.

Overall

* A really enjoyable holiday.

Marrakesh itself - I personally was quite apprehensive of Marrakesh. As soon as we got out of the airport the locals were trying to take our luggage to our transfer coach in exchange for tips. As a young female i found this rather invasive. The city itself if quite chaotic. It is serpated into new and old town. New town has a lovely ice cream palour called DInos which is really nice. Old town contains all the Souks which can be slightly intimating for first timers however a real experience and culture shock. I really enjoyed visiting them. Just remember you really need to barter down the prices. We got slightly lost in the Souks aswell so try and remember where you are!

If your lucky enough to go on this holiday, enjoy! A really blissful hotel in a beautiful but contrasting city!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Hels777_11
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Just returned from first trip to Marrakech and was really glad to have picked the Riu Tikida Garden hotel.
The city itself is chaos and is a constant barage on the senses, after a couple of trips into the city we were so glad to be back in the peaceful sanctuary of this hotel.
We were a family of three with a 15 year old son, this was typical of the demographics for the hotel as there were many familes with older children and also lots of couples aged 30 - 40 ish.
The pro's for me:
The staff - from the cleaners through to the entertainment staff, I have to say that they could not be more sincere in their welcome and thier hard work and dedication for you to have an excellent holiday. They should be really proud of the team on site as they really do all they can and nothing is too much trouble.
The Hotel - Good faclites in a beautiful garden setting, everywhere is well kept and clean.
Food & Drink - Good quality and as its all inclusive they make it easy to access with no silly sized glasses or limitis on how many drinks you order. The use of self service for drinks at lunch and dinner were great. The food was of a good quality and I really enjoyed the Morrocan specials that they do each night, there could have been a bit more rotation as it could have got a bit repetative if we had been there for two weeks.
Wifi - Free wifi in all areas of the hotel including the rooms enabled us to keep up with the Olympics.
Entertainment - Really enjoyed the shows whenr they put them on especially the Senegal drum band, some nights though it was a bit low key with just Karioke on offer, during peak season this was not really what you would hope for. The staff really do put thier all into this and it shows.

The cons

The sun beds - Just not enough beds to go a round and you do need to get up just before 8am to get your towels down, they will throw them off before this time if you leave the beds. Its a shame whem you see people reserve beds before 8am then go out on a day trip, they clearlyt don't worry about the poor families who a trawling around for beds at 9am. I am sure the hotel will sort this out as there is plenty of room in the garden areas which are much better than the meat market around the pool anyhow.

Marrakech - A bit over rated for me, not quite the experience I had hoped for, the hassle around the main areas does grate on you after a while. There is an unsavory side lurking underneath in my opinion with a lot of people desperate to seperate you from your money, you get this in many places but this was a bit too much for me.

Hotel location - Its a great hotel but set in a very deprived area which made going out for a walk a bit of putting, it would have been a bit better if closer to the city as an £8 taxi trip was required each way.

I would definitly recomend the hotel and would certainly stay in a RIU hotel again, not sure if I would recomend Marrakech though as I can think of better places to visit, maybe its just me. I think you either love it or hate it based upon the reviews I have read. I was somewhere in the middle!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank darrylhyde
Runcorn
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Returned from this hotel 5 days ago, reflecting on my experience, the hotel was spotless, rooms cleaned everyday, I have to agree with many other reviews on here, the sunbed situation was crazy, having to set alarms to be downstairs by 7.30 am at the latest, we stayed in the garden area, 1 day we had no beds so put our towels down, which was fine if you don't mind ants. The gardens are kept very well, the food was very average and also very repetitive, if I had stayed here for 2 weeks I would of struggled. The restaurant on site was very nice, easy to book into, if you get bored of the buffet style. 1 huge downside for me was in the bar and lobby smoking is allowed, with the bar not having aircon as a non smoker this was at times a little smoky. The shop in the lobby is not as equiped as could be and is very expensive for personal items.
Overall staff were nice, grounds well kept, rooms clean, food ok.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kelly S
Reviewed 6 August 2012 via mobile

Have recently returned from a weeks stay at the Tikida Garden. We could not fault the staff who were always keen to make sure that you were comfortable. Little touches which were nice we're the welcoming smile by the Chef every time you went in for a meal and also the entertainment staff welcoming you each evening into the restaurant. The food was basic but reasonable, however, the real trick was to go into the separate restaurant providing local cuisine. This was fantastic and also came with gentle live music to add a special ambience. The weather was extraordinarily hot even by local standards so families with young children should bear this in mind in the summer holidays....it reached 49 c during our stay...phew! Fortunately no probs at all with air conditioning though. The sunbed routine which a lot of people seem to get agitated about was fine, we wondered over at 8am and reserved beds just behind the pool, which was great as there were orange trees providing welcome shade. The atmosphere around the pool was great, no thumping music, just regular activities provided by the hard working entertainment staff and chilled music for the most part. Would certainly go back.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family