“Relaxing Break For Couples”

Hotel Riu Tikida Garden
Ranked #120 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My boyfriend & I stayed at the Riu Tikida from the 4th July - 15th July 2013. Before booking the holiday we originally wanted a 2 week break but eventually settled with 11 nights, which I was VERY glad of towards the end of our holiday believe me. We arrived late Thursday night and checked in very quickly, we were not given a welcome drink and were not shown to the restaurant for something to eat, we were not hungry though, so this didn't really bother us. We dumped our bags and went straight out to have a drink in the Zanzibar which was right by the reception area, for anyone who has already been to this hotel, you will be with me when I say this bar had the most dreadful atmosphere, EVERY night there was a man singing on a piano, he was absolutely terrible, being our first night we believed we had maybe missed the entertainment and this man was a one off, how wrong were we!!

FOOD - The next morning we woke and went down for breakfast, my boyfriend was quite worried as the welcome letter we had received on arrival had stated there were no shorts allowed in the restaurant, he had only bought one pair of pants he had traveled in, however when entering the restaurant nearly every man was wearing shorts, this was the same for our evening meal too, bit confused as to why they had put the rule in place if they were not going to enforce it but it was a blessing to my boyfriend ha. Breakfast was always nice, you had the choice of pancakes, bacon, eggs, beans, sausages, cereal & croissants. Was always fresh, and kept my boyfriend and I full for the majority of the day. Drinks were the usual fruit juices and fizzy pop. Breakfast was served until 10.30, if you missed this time, you could always get a continental breakfast from the snack bar next to the pool. Snack bar was open for dinner, and to be honest was vile, had this funny smell to it, and had the most awful food, was mainly pasta, chips or fish!!! I most days just had bread because I could not hack the food in there, many couples we met also mentioned the salad give them a dodgy stomach.

ALCOHOL - As a young couple it is pretty obvious we were after plenty of alcoholic drinks come night time, I tried and tested many of the cocktails to find they were literally like juice, they usually left me bloated with a sugar coating on my tounge. I went on to drink vodka and lemonade, I even had whiskey and coke, but every night I returned to the room still as sober as when I left. My boyfriend on the other hand, loved the beer that was served at the hotel, I am not a beer drinker but he said it was really nice and he had found out it was 5%, so as you can imagine he ended up cross eyed most nights.

ENTERTAINMENT - Absolutely dreadful, in all the hotels I have visited this has got to have been the worst for entertainment, and to be quite honest ruined our holiday, most nights I found it an effort to even get ready as I knew what we were in for. The hotel had the dreaded Zanzibar and then a Bar/Club opposite across the reception area, most nights after dinner they had the childrens disco on and even that was awful, I felt so sorry for the kids. I think one night they had an african night, which was the best thing we seen all holiday and even that wasn't great. Most nights we would just take some drinks and sit outside in the gardens.

ROOMS - Small, and stuffy. Air con was rubbish, my boyfriend struggled to sleep most of the holiday because of how stuffy it was in our room, opening the windows did no good as you can imagine. Beds were suppose to be a double but were two singles pushed together, this was really frustrating as most nights I would wake up wedged in between both.I know it sounds fussy but I hate when the toilet is separate from the bathroom, and this was the case in this hotel, many of times the toilet wouldn't flush either. Balconies were really small too and very close to the neighbours so sitting and having a conversation on there was not possible.

POOL AREA - Hotel stated there was a rule of not putting your towels down before 8am, I felt this was a good idea but again with all the rules in this hotel, was it followed? NO. Every morning I would peel back them curtains and find people had put their towels down at ridiculous hours, one morning 6am!! Because there was no beach and a lot of trees, it was essential to have a decent sun lounger otherwise you would be out of the sun all day, so from then on I had to set my alarm at 7, run down and put our towels in our usual spot then go back to bed, seems sneaky but I honestly couldn't care less, everyone else was doing the exact same. Pool was big and lovely to go in especially on the really hot days, it was unbearable at times and the pool really helped, was very very cold and took a little bit of a pep talk to get myself in it but was fine once you were in. Beware there are a stupid amount of wasps hovering around the sun loungers and drinks, many of times I would go to take a sip of my drink and find a wasp in there, this became very frustrating after a few days.

TRIPS - Went on two trips whilst we were here, first was a trip to the souks which we went on with a group of couples we had met, got the free shuttle in to the new town, then a taxi to the markets. Not much there to be honest, got a few funny looks as expected, wasn't as interesting as many made out but it was an experience to say the least. Had a Mcdonalds back in New Town and was pestered by all the Moroccan kids for chips, give them a few and they left us alone, but felt a bit mean eating infront of them. Next trip my boyfriend and I went on was with Thompson, and it was called 'A Taste Of Riad', please go on this trip if you go in a couple it was amazing!! Taxi took us to the market area where we were greeted by the restaurant manager, he walked us down a few streets to get to the restaurant, a little bit nerve wracking as we were literally in the slums of Morocco, eventually got to the most beautiful little restaurant, food was gorgeous and we were constantly topped up with wine and water. We had drinks on the roof top which was gorgeous and then had our dinner downstairs in the restaurant area. This has got to be the highlight of our holiday. Was really interesting to see what the locals were up to so late on a Saturday night too, when walking back to our taxi there were a group of children throwing fireworks at each other, crazy people.

All in all, this holiday was not as good as anticipated but we still had a great time, was a very relaxing holiday however it did feel we had been away from home for a lifetime because of how bored we got. I would not recommend taking children here due to the lack of entertainment and how hot the weather is. We met A LOT of lovely english people, all of whom we have kept in touch with, it has got to be the most friendliest of hotels I have been and I do miss waking up every morning to everyone by the pool.

MAKE SURE YOU GO AND SEE THE TORTOISES IN THE GARDENS, THEY ARE ADORABLE.

1  Thank SadeH83

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Just back from this great hotel. Firstly its value or money is really 2nd to none! The location of the hotel is a mere ten/15 mins from the town centre, a shuttle bus from hotel takes you into the center and there are taxis to take you to the market square but we had a lovely walk ( about 20 mins) to see all the locals and the hustle and bustle of it all, Worth spending a morning. We got a taxi straight back to hotel which was about £3--£4, very cheap and better as the heat in July was over 40 degrees.. The Rui itself is a great hotel, wonderful big pool, rooms are very spacious, extremely clean, maids in every day and a pool view. The showers are in need of upgrading but no big deal as they are adequate...A safe, a tv, plenty of everything, how long are you in the rooms anyway? The food covered a wide variety or all. Plenty of salads, meats, and could not complain. With there being no beach as its the only holiday that Thomsons do thats inland, there is a lack of fresh fish i felt as we do like this on the menu. Staff are extremely attentive at all times. There was always a manager on hand to ask any questions and they would do anything to help make your holiday better. Lunch time is at the restaurant at the pool which was just as good.. Again the staff are always on hand. The entertainment during the day was fine, we played water-polo, table tennis etc but in the evening it did lack a bit of oomp.. but we do find that all inclusives lack this?? But we met lots of lovely couples, families etc so we enjoyed the ambiance of it all..The hotel also sits in lovely gardens so do walk around and have a look if you have half an hour its simply a must.. We woukld highly recommend this hotel to all. Thanks for a lovley chilled out week, we would come back.. Cheers to the animation team, and to all the staff who made our holiday fab.. Donna & Brian.. Scotland

Room Tip: Room with a view near main entrance to hotel..
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My 16 year old son and I have just returned from a week at the Riu Tikida Gardens (11-18/07). After booking it in April I've read every review on Trip Advisor written about this hotel and some of the main attractions. I'd say 97% of the reviews are extremely positive about this hotel; we spoke with "exxpertskier" and I'd say that his review is 100% accurate. I also overheard one couple complaining - however, you have to remember how much you've paid for this holiday - and in my opinion - you absolutely can't go wrong here. If you want to pay thousands - then fine - good luck to you - and you perhaps can be more picky; we didn't want to pay thousands, didn't and have had an absolutely fantastic holiday and life experience.

The rooms are adequate for a break in an extremely hot country where your time in the hotel room is going to be minimal. We acquired an additional room key and left the air conditioning on from the day we arrived to the day we left and kept the curtains drawn when the sun was shining on them - the room was comfortably cool.

The food was excellent (given the amount paid, the number of people there, and the time it was available). My son managed to "eat for Britain"; tried everything, things he'd never had before, aquired a taste for cous cous (!) and was extremely happy. The ice cream is perfect. We enjoyed a night in the 1001 Restaurant - but didn't feel the need to return. The mains are lovely, the deserts a little disappointing. Lunch time food catered for everyone.

This is the first AL we've done and it was brilliant to be able to get food, drink, ice-creams etc without having to worry about the budget.

The staff we're OK - some very pleasent and helpful; others a little surley. If you get help with you bags on arrival - be prepared to tip (even in sterling) its expected and they don't leave the room until you do.

The entertainment was hopeless; didn't expect anything else from the previous reviews I've read. We played scrabble most nights; others were playing cards etc. To be honest, after a day out or in the heat we were both pretty tired and returned to our cool room for an early night.

The rep: Sam. Not impressive. The welcome meeting was sloppy; I stood for almost two hours afterwards waiting to book an additional night trip - along with quite a few others. He wasn't organised, kept darting off to make calls, didn't seem to appreciate time people were waiting and chatted away endlessly. He wasn't particularly professional, respectful or customer orientated. He did manage to confirm two of our trips that were booked prior to travel by Thomson, after we weren't on the coach list for the first trip. Chocolate TeaPot has been used before to describe him - and I'd agree. I'm an experienced people manager and I wouldn't be impressed if he worked for me. Given todays employment market - there has to be better people available to do this job. He either needs serious development or if that doesn't work .....

Atlas Mountains trip worth every penny; Souks and Medina - good, an eye opener - spa products interesting to hear about and a chance to cool down - they do sell for quite a time though. Camel treking very good - but our company was far far better than some friends who signed up for the same trip but got a different company and had a horrible experience. If you want to go into the main square at night - worth going on the Calche by Night trip we did and enjoyed the experience.

So, we both thoroughly enjoyed this holiday. Excellant VFM. Wouldn't necessarily go back to Marrakesh, would use Thomson and go AL again though. {APPLE!!}

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Steve J
Reviewed 20 July 2013

This hotel is a good find. From the instant you step through it's doors, you'll get a greeting as warm as the Moroccan sun.

We arrived late evening around 10 pm, and had the option of either booking in (remember the forms at the airport?) or grabbing a quick bite, as the restaurant closed in about an hour. Well, we sprinted through the forms ably assisted by hotel reception, and scooted off to the restaurant for a late night snack and drinks.

A word about reception. They’re extremely helpful and any attempt to ‘speak the lingo’ appears to reap rewards. In thanking the person in reception on our first night, we slipped in ‘La shrukan jazilan’. It seems to have got us a good room – judging by other reviews.

After our meal, we had our luggage carted off to our block 4 room. Cool on entry – the AC was efficient AND quiet; clean on first inspection; spacious as thou like... we had arrived and deserved a well earned rest.

We will get our bearings and explore the well-kept grounds and beyond the next day.

"Breakfast offered a varied fare to please even the most fussy" I opined, "I want some more". And get some more, I did - it's a buffet of quantity, to feed the masses innumerable times over.
The staff are polite; the restaurant size adequate without being imposed on by thy meal chomping neighbours; the atmosphere convivial.

It is preferred that men wear long trousers at dinner – this ‘rule’ is not strictly adhered to but I did my bit to comply. My partner saw a guest turn up for dinner in a ‘very skimpy’ t-shirt and shorts. He was turned away, much to his embarrassment.

Much has been said about the entertainment, but for us the ‘African show’ eclipsed all that followed. It had energy; ‘how did they do that tricks’ and much laughter and audience participation. We didn’t go on other evenings, but by all accounts we’d seen the best. Have to say my partner thought more of it than I.

You must try the 1001 nights restaurant (Les Mille Et Une Nuits) but be warned its VERY popular and has a limited number on each sitting per night. We booked on Tuesday for a Wednesday meal and shortly after we overheard someone trying to book but couldn’t get a seating until the Thursday.

It’s worth it – diners will be treated to traditional Moroccan meals; expertly served local wine of your choice and serenaded throughout your meal.

The courtesy bus into town has a schedule, the times of which you can pick up at reception.

As regards exploring outwith the grounds of Riu Tikida Garden, we got around with a combination of hotel bus and local bus. We eschewed the Thomson rep and organised our own trips: Essaouira (via Supratours), Jemaa el Fna, Jardin Majorelle, the Guilez, Koutoubia mosque, the souks in the medina, and sought out our own restaurants in the square. And we didn’t get lost in the souks – no reason to, if you have a good internal gps. Plenty of time to weave and wind through the tiny passages, at the same time dodging the scooters. What’s with that?

Visiting the Medina both day and night gives a different perspective. Beware the self-appointed ‘guides’ who just wander up and start their spiel. A firm ‘La shruka’ (no thanks) should do it but be prepared to say it more than once!!

Stay cool.

This AI experience was highly enjoyable. We stayed 7 nights – wish we’d booked for longer.

3  Thank veganise
Reviewed 19 July 2013

This is a review of both the hotel, thomson and Marrakech in all!
We arrived on the 11th July 2013 and arrived home on 18th july 2013.
I must admit i did A LOT of research on Marrakech and the stuff to do out there before i went, which thankly was a god send.

The hotel was fantastic, my boyfriend was blown away as he's never been to a posh all inclusive hotel before and fell in love within an hour of being there!
We arrived late thursday evening, and the staff were brilliant and welcoming, had some hot food put out for our arrival in the restaurant which was a nice touch as we'd been travelling all day.
Unfortunately the bars close at midnight so we only had an hour or so to indulge ourselves before they closed.
The staff are really friendly, however a few were very pushy for tips which is always a bit annoying.

Friday we spent getting our bearings really, checked out the hotel and surrounding area.
The surrounding area is very much for locals however there is a shop to the left of the hotel entrance which sells all the stuff the hotel 'boutique' sells for much lower price [the hotel shop wanted 900 DH for a hat - thats like £87. ridiculous]
As my boyfriend is diabetic it was handy for him to be open all the time to buy choccie bars or sugary drinks in case he felt unwell.
The hotel gives you access to a free shuttle bus that takes you into the new town - the times are a bit inconvenient, the last one we could catch back from the town was 5pm but I think these were less due it to being Ramadan.
We were told by a very moany couple that it cost them 250 dh each way to the new town in a taxi, this simply is not true - you should not pay anymore than 100 dh each way - i know many people at the hotel who didn't pay more than 50 dh! (expert hagglers obviously)
In the new town there are shops like monsoon, zara, mango etc which aren't cheap as in any main city shopping area, also has a kfc or mcdonalds. The bus drops you at the side of a massive roundabout, which is a bit daunting as the traffic in Marrakech is nightmarish. You just need to GO and go FAST.
They will usually move out of your way, but be aware there are so many bikes, motorbikes,carriages,cars and trucks bombing about so keep your wits about you - my trick was to watch the locals, if they cross, cross aswell.

We were told that it is a 20 minute walk to the old town from there, we set off with a bottle of water and after a while we asked an english couple who were heading the other way if we were on the right track. They agreed that we were BUT it was a long way to go and it was better just to get a taxi as it should only cost 20 - 30 dh. so £2.50? We hailed a taxi and the lady was right, it was AN AGE away. How Thomson feel it is ok to say its a 20 minute walk when it could easily take you an hour in the scorching sun is adhorrent, especially if an elderly couple or family with young kids attempted the walk.
Please don't try and walk there, it is NOT 20 minutes, and for £2.50 it is worth it.

The medina during the day is DEAD. don't visit it until about 5pm onwards, which is when everyone sets up their stalls and there are so many places to eat properly cooked morracan and english food in a fantastic atmosphere.
- nice to have a change from the hotels food - which is very nice, but doesn't change from night to night.
However you can opt to book into the Moroccan restaurant in the resort which is very nice too, but also the menu doesn't change - free to eat there too, not sure how many times you can eat in there as we only stayed a week.

The medina comes alive at night with snake charmers, monkeys, orange juice stalls, roof top restaurants and bars, especially during ramadan there are so many prayers during the evening and its lovely to experience.

The place to visit during the day is the Souks - please DO NOT BOOK THROUGH THOMSON. the price is ridiculous and never a convenient time. Just go to the reception at the hotel and ask if you can have a guide.
We asked for one and he arrived in 15 minutes! He is from the board of tourism and lives in the souks, and was really nice and helpful. He costs only 150 DH for 3 hours and takes you to see anything you want. You do have to pay for the taxi to and from the hotel but he gets you a reduced rate of about 30 dh. Totally worth it, please don't attempt the souks on your own, it can be a daunting place if you get lost and many will take advantage of this and offer to show you out but for a very hefty price.

We booked the quad biking trip through our thomson rep [who by the way is called Sam - he is as useless as a chocolate teapot, has apparently live there 3 months but i know more about the area in 10 minutes of googling than he does. He is rude and sarcastic so please don't expect him to tell you what you can do in the surrounding area as all he wants to do is sell you their trips] and paid about £55 each for a half day trip, it was really really great and wish we could've done a full day. In all honesty the equipment used was no better than if we'd booked through a local excursion company, and the whole of the cost would've gone to the people running it, not to thomson. So please don\t rely on the thomson trips as they use THE EXACT SAME COMPANIES, but take a massive cut.
i was expecting to have quadbikes that had working electronics and not be taken past rubbish dumps and be giving local people lifts in our minibus because we had paid so much extra through thomson.
i would've expected what we received from buying it from the stalls in the medina, so in a way i was disappointed but the trip itself made up for it.

The following day we did the camel caravan through thomson, also a big disappointment. lots of money just to be taken in a circle on some very poorly looking camels.
the rep was very rude when i asked what the trip entailed, he said 'you ride on camels?' implying i was stupid when i meant what were we going to be shown or do.
I would've rather booked it through a local company, and have them use the money to keep the camels better.

The room at the hotel was really beautiful, balcony we had was huge looking over the pool. The whole hotel was spotless, the pool was superb, i always saw things going on like ping pong tournaments, belly dancing classes and aqua aerobics - probably much more by the entertainment staff during the day but we were always busy with trips and only vegged out by the pool in the afternoon! However the evening entertainment was boring, some themed evenings but not alot going on so definitely take a trip into the medina.

We visited Armana spa just off to the lefto f the medina for a couples hamman, was fantastic 500 DH for both of us to be washed down, scrubbed and massaged. i also got a free manicure, i can't imagine how much that would've cost in the hotels spa, the prices were extortionate.

Also a nice trip in the evening is to jump into a careche, a horse and carraige - 350 dh for a few hours and a tour around marrakech, saw loads of stuff we hadn't seen on other tours, definitely worth it and very relaxing!

Overall, had a fantastic holiday, the hotel is superb!

Room Tip: Email ahead and ask for a view of the pool, as these have bigger balconies!
10  Thank JessJJ_5377
Reviewed 18 July 2013

What a fantastic Hotel...I would highky recommend this for anyone looking for a short or long break. Our room with the Atlas mountains was standard but very clean and plentyfull. The hotel is superb, a champagne night on the second night in with entertainment, it was brilliant, food was great and the bars where lively. The pool was freezing, but so clean and well kept. The interior of the hotel was very smart and clean. The manager was always around and even spent some time on the stage to take a turn in the caberet, which was not shabby! If you want a peaceful break you can have that, if you want to explore, you can also as its well situated. Great Hotel if all the RIU's are of this standard then this brand will always get my loyalty.

1  Thank gandnat
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I should admit that I've worked in the UK travel industry for 30 years at senior level (now retired) and have visited more hotels than I've had hot dinners, so I hope my review is helpful, measured and unbiased in every way.

First of all, how much did you pay per day for this holiday? Now compare this to what money buys and you get some sort of perspective. We paid about £50 a day, a proportion of which was the flight, transfer, rep, room, food and drink PLUS the small profit the tour operator makes and the hotelier. NOW, you can judge the value you are receiving from this hotel.

POSITIVES:

STAFF-I've stayed in far more expensive, upmarket hotels but I have to say the staff are welcoming and try to make one's stay enjoyable. Pablo is the Spanish General Manager-NEVER have I seen a more hands on hotel manager, even in far more expensive hotels I've been fortunate to visit around the world; he is ALWAYS on duty and keen to hear from and react to guest suggestions (the wine is perfectly chilled Pablo by the way).

FOOD: now remember what you paid!!! Some people expect Michelin star cuisine for what they pay which makes me laugh-do please get a grip! You get good, staple food here. Breakfast can be 'full English', or fruit, cereal or Continental. Lunch consists of the freshest salads with various dressings, regional fish, chicken, perhaps beef and usually soup to start and this is followed by dessert where the ice cream is yummy and there's a wide choice of sweet stuff (not much of a sweet tooth here), together with great quality fruit (oranges and melons are far better than we get in the UK).

Also included on the AI plan is the 1001 Nights restaurant by the pool, offering two sittings and serving tagines (Moroccan casseroles basically) of fish, chicken, lamb or vegetarian. Self service mezze´ style starters, waiter served main and self service dessert. It makes a lovely change and the service is good-the staff there do a great job.

DRINK: Wine- Red, White and Rose´ were drinkable and there is soft drinks on tap plus beers, Martini and spirits (order doubles or you might find them a bit on the weak side).

ROOMS: they're ready for a bit of investment but ours was very clean and quietly situated, which is what we wanted.

SURROUNDINGS: The gardens are very pleasant and staff work hard to keep them so which is appreciated. Despite the number of guests, this can be a nice quiet spot-just what we want on holiday. I'm a non-smoker but bars (not restaurants) allow smoking. Annoying but this is the law. And whilst we're on the subject of the law, or rather, the culture, do please cover yourselves up in the markets to respect the local customs-it is easy for ladies to be cool (ish) but covered from top to toe, whilst you're in the soukhs. In the hotel restaurant at lunch pool side, lads, put a t shirt on where there is food-nobody wants to see your moobies and the hotel is politely asking guests to cover up.

NEGATIVES, or better put, NEEDS MORE WORK because it is hard to criticise this hotel because of the value for money it offers:

AIR CON: We stayed 4th-18th July and it was adequate but the property clearly needs to invest substantially here to replace the air con plant but that will cost a fortune. I am sure they're aware of this. We asked for and got a fan which was fine. Worth saying we are used to US air con which is freezing and we sleep with a window open in the depths of British winter.

ENTERTAINMENT: A couple of shows, the African and Moroccan nights are good but only if you've not seen that kind of thing before-I have, everywhere I travelled so it didn't do much for me. I would just say that I've been on 6 star cruise ships where the entertainment has been awful and you're paying £300 a day! A couple of good books, my iPod, BBC World and an English movie channel were fine for our two-week break.

POOL & SUN BEDS: Pablo-you need some more space for the beds as it is somewhat crowded around the pool area and indoor pool area (which looks a bit tired). Also, 'test drive' the beds-they're pretty uncomfortable and awkward to lie on, popping up when one tries to lie down so when you buy some new ones, be aware that your guests are lying on them for hours a day. There is a bit of a shortage of beds and some house rules have begun to be issued by the pool attendants. If there wasn't such a scramble for beds, this would not happen and creating more sun bed space would be beneficial as the area does feel overcrowded.

My first ever TA blog which I felt compelled to do because an inexpensive hotel has got its act together on most of the important things and this is to be applauded.

10  Thank exxpertskier