“Lovely hotel in a great location- value for money”

Hotel Riu Tikida Garden
Ranked #113 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel in a great location- value for money”
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here from 8th-18th July. It takes just 25 mins max from the airport, just enough time to fill in the required forms which will speed up your check-in.
(Tip: keep hold of your suitcase when finding your transfer coach, people will try to 'help' for a tip)

We arrived late, and the hotel had kept some food out in the restaurant which was a nice surprise. This led onto a quick check-in and we were in our room.

Block B "La Katoubia" - central to the reception area and the pool. Super clean rooms, maid service every day, towels & bedding changed twice each week. Air conditioning worked in our room, and we had a second electronic key so we could leave it on all day.

The pool is so refreshing after the 35 degrees+ heat. Plenty of sunbeds, although if you want pool-side you need to be up at the crack of dawn. I wasn't bothered, so had a lie-in and still got two with a parasol at about 830-9am.

Lunch time food was repetitive, but always fresh salads, fruit, bread, various cooked meats & tagines (and pizza and chips of course)...

Dinner time was supposed to be a long trouser affair, but this didn't appear to be the case. Men in smart shorts seemed the norm. Again, the food was repetitive but there were some lovely options. I am really picky, but I always managed to have a full plate of food. Tagines, cooked meats, fish, salad... I just kept in mind that we'd paid about £50 per day including flights, hotel, food, drinks- it was fantastic value for money.

The shuttle bus into Marrakech took about 10 mins, with reduced service during Ramadan. Drop off in new town, about a 20 minute walk to Jemaa el Fna square (take a bottle of water) - look for KFC then follow that road right to the square!

We went into Marrakech in the evening in a taxi from outside reception. This cost 100 dh to the skybar, we then walked up to the square (about 25 mins) then got a petit taxi back from near the shuttle bus drop off point, and this was 70 dh back to the hotel.

Try to speak French if possible, they appreciate the effort rather than speaking always in English.

Bar staff all very friendly! Especially Simo :) Reception staff are excellent, with fantastic English skills. If you go with Thomson, the rep Sam isn't the best- the tours seemed expensive, and people were just going and exploring on their own...

Please feel free to ask any questions.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank McC0y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Polish first
Kent
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed as a group of girls for a short weekend in May. Service at this hotel was outstanding, nothing was too much trouble. Pool is huge & gardens well maintained. All inclusive food was great with plenty of choice. The rooms were a little dated but exceptionally clean. The evening entertainment could be better but this did not bother us. The hotel has a shuttle bus to Marrakech but although we waited, others pushed on so maybe the hotel could provide tickets on a first come first serve? Rather than wait for him to return we got a taxi from the front of the hotel ( I believe around £8). A great stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Hull
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Fantastic Hotel and staff, really polite and helpful. The hotel is kept clean and the staff work very hard to please. The rooms are basic but very clean.
The food is gorgeous and plenty of it, always hot and fresh. The Manager is always present for any queries or questions and very polite!
The entertainment staff try very hard.
The drinks are very good with some named brands included in the all inc. Cocktails are refreshing and readily available.
Pool and the gardens are perfect, garden staff work very hard to keep it looking nice.
Marrakech medina/souks are amazing to visit, we went with the tour guide outside of the hotel, he charged about £25 for 3 hours. He was worth it as he got us cheap taxi's there and back (around £4.)
We visited the Moroccan restaurant twice (free), gorgeous food, lamb tagine etc, it was my birthday and they brought me a cake and a bottle of champagne and sang happy birthday to me!!
Met some lovely people while we were there, it's about 90% English.
Very cheap relaxing holiday for the price we paid (£1000) for a couple, and would definitely return. Missing it already :-(
Would not be suitable for kids though as the heat is very intense 50 degrees constant!
DO NOT listen to the usual wingers leaving poor reviews, there is absolutely nothing to complain about!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the gardens at the back in block B - was amazing and the sunset could be s...
2 Thank HullDonna
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My boyfriend & I stayed at the Riu Tikida from the 4th July - 15th July 2013. Before booking the holiday we originally wanted a 2 week break but eventually settled with 11 nights, which I was VERY glad of towards the end of our holiday believe me. We arrived late Thursday night and checked in very quickly, we were not given a welcome drink and were not shown to the restaurant for something to eat, we were not hungry though, so this didn't really bother us. We dumped our bags and went straight out to have a drink in the Zanzibar which was right by the reception area, for anyone who has already been to this hotel, you will be with me when I say this bar had the most dreadful atmosphere, EVERY night there was a man singing on a piano, he was absolutely terrible, being our first night we believed we had maybe missed the entertainment and this man was a one off, how wrong were we!!

FOOD - The next morning we woke and went down for breakfast, my boyfriend was quite worried as the welcome letter we had received on arrival had stated there were no shorts allowed in the restaurant, he had only bought one pair of pants he had traveled in, however when entering the restaurant nearly every man was wearing shorts, this was the same for our evening meal too, bit confused as to why they had put the rule in place if they were not going to enforce it but it was a blessing to my boyfriend ha. Breakfast was always nice, you had the choice of pancakes, bacon, eggs, beans, sausages, cereal & croissants. Was always fresh, and kept my boyfriend and I full for the majority of the day. Drinks were the usual fruit juices and fizzy pop. Breakfast was served until 10.30, if you missed this time, you could always get a continental breakfast from the snack bar next to the pool. Snack bar was open for dinner, and to be honest was vile, had this funny smell to it, and had the most awful food, was mainly pasta, chips or fish!!! I most days just had bread because I could not hack the food in there, many couples we met also mentioned the salad give them a dodgy stomach.

ALCOHOL - As a young couple it is pretty obvious we were after plenty of alcoholic drinks come night time, I tried and tested many of the cocktails to find they were literally like juice, they usually left me bloated with a sugar coating on my tounge. I went on to drink vodka and lemonade, I even had whiskey and coke, but every night I returned to the room still as sober as when I left. My boyfriend on the other hand, loved the beer that was served at the hotel, I am not a beer drinker but he said it was really nice and he had found out it was 5%, so as you can imagine he ended up cross eyed most nights.

ENTERTAINMENT - Absolutely dreadful, in all the hotels I have visited this has got to have been the worst for entertainment, and to be quite honest ruined our holiday, most nights I found it an effort to even get ready as I knew what we were in for. The hotel had the dreaded Zanzibar and then a Bar/Club opposite across the reception area, most nights after dinner they had the childrens disco on and even that was awful, I felt so sorry for the kids. I think one night they had an african night, which was the best thing we seen all holiday and even that wasn't great. Most nights we would just take some drinks and sit outside in the gardens.

ROOMS - Small, and stuffy. Air con was rubbish, my boyfriend struggled to sleep most of the holiday because of how stuffy it was in our room, opening the windows did no good as you can imagine. Beds were suppose to be a double but were two singles pushed together, this was really frustrating as most nights I would wake up wedged in between both.I know it sounds fussy but I hate when the toilet is separate from the bathroom, and this was the case in this hotel, many of times the toilet wouldn't flush either. Balconies were really small too and very close to the neighbours so sitting and having a conversation on there was not possible.

POOL AREA - Hotel stated there was a rule of not putting your towels down before 8am, I felt this was a good idea but again with all the rules in this hotel, was it followed? NO. Every morning I would peel back them curtains and find people had put their towels down at ridiculous hours, one morning 6am!! Because there was no beach and a lot of trees, it was essential to have a decent sun lounger otherwise you would be out of the sun all day, so from then on I had to set my alarm at 7, run down and put our towels in our usual spot then go back to bed, seems sneaky but I honestly couldn't care less, everyone else was doing the exact same. Pool was big and lovely to go in especially on the really hot days, it was unbearable at times and the pool really helped, was very very cold and took a little bit of a pep talk to get myself in it but was fine once you were in. Beware there are a stupid amount of wasps hovering around the sun loungers and drinks, many of times I would go to take a sip of my drink and find a wasp in there, this became very frustrating after a few days.

TRIPS - Went on two trips whilst we were here, first was a trip to the souks which we went on with a group of couples we had met, got the free shuttle in to the new town, then a taxi to the markets. Not much there to be honest, got a few funny looks as expected, wasn't as interesting as many made out but it was an experience to say the least. Had a Mcdonalds back in New Town and was pestered by all the Moroccan kids for chips, give them a few and they left us alone, but felt a bit mean eating infront of them. Next trip my boyfriend and I went on was with Thompson, and it was called 'A Taste Of Riad', please go on this trip if you go in a couple it was amazing!! Taxi took us to the market area where we were greeted by the restaurant manager, he walked us down a few streets to get to the restaurant, a little bit nerve wracking as we were literally in the slums of Morocco, eventually got to the most beautiful little restaurant, food was gorgeous and we were constantly topped up with wine and water. We had drinks on the roof top which was gorgeous and then had our dinner downstairs in the restaurant area. This has got to be the highlight of our holiday. Was really interesting to see what the locals were up to so late on a Saturday night too, when walking back to our taxi there were a group of children throwing fireworks at each other, crazy people.

All in all, this holiday was not as good as anticipated but we still had a great time, was a very relaxing holiday however it did feel we had been away from home for a lifetime because of how bored we got. I would not recommend taking children here due to the lack of entertainment and how hot the weather is. We met A LOT of lovely english people, all of whom we have kept in touch with, it has got to be the most friendliest of hotels I have been and I do miss waking up every morning to everyone by the pool.

MAKE SURE YOU GO AND SEE THE TORTOISES IN THE GARDENS, THEY ARE ADORABLE.

1 Thank SadeH83
Perth and Kinross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Just back from this great hotel. Firstly its value or money is really 2nd to none! The location of the hotel is a mere ten/15 mins from the town centre, a shuttle bus from hotel takes you into the center and there are taxis to take you to the market square but we had a lovely walk ( about 20 mins) to see all the locals and the hustle and bustle of it all, Worth spending a morning. We got a taxi straight back to hotel which was about £3--£4, very cheap and better as the heat in July was over 40 degrees.. The Rui itself is a great hotel, wonderful big pool, rooms are very spacious, extremely clean, maids in every day and a pool view. The showers are in need of upgrading but no big deal as they are adequate...A safe, a tv, plenty of everything, how long are you in the rooms anyway? The food covered a wide variety or all. Plenty of salads, meats, and could not complain. With there being no beach as its the only holiday that Thomsons do thats inland, there is a lack of fresh fish i felt as we do like this on the menu. Staff are extremely attentive at all times. There was always a manager on hand to ask any questions and they would do anything to help make your holiday better. Lunch time is at the restaurant at the pool which was just as good.. Again the staff are always on hand. The entertainment during the day was fine, we played water-polo, table tennis etc but in the evening it did lack a bit of oomp.. but we do find that all inclusives lack this?? But we met lots of lovely couples, families etc so we enjoyed the ambiance of it all..The hotel also sits in lovely gardens so do walk around and have a look if you have half an hour its simply a must.. We woukld highly recommend this hotel to all. Thanks for a lovley chilled out week, we would come back.. Cheers to the animation team, and to all the staff who made our holiday fab.. Donna & Brian.. Scotland

Room Tip: Room with a view near main entrance to hotel..
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My 16 year old son and I have just returned from a week at the Riu Tikida Gardens (11-18/07). After booking it in April I've read every review on Trip Advisor written about this hotel and some of the main attractions. I'd say 97% of the reviews are extremely positive about this hotel; we spoke with "exxpertskier" and I'd say that his review is 100% accurate. I also overheard one couple complaining - however, you have to remember how much you've paid for this holiday - and in my opinion - you absolutely can't go wrong here. If you want to pay thousands - then fine - good luck to you - and you perhaps can be more picky; we didn't want to pay thousands, didn't and have had an absolutely fantastic holiday and life experience.

The rooms are adequate for a break in an extremely hot country where your time in the hotel room is going to be minimal. We acquired an additional room key and left the air conditioning on from the day we arrived to the day we left and kept the curtains drawn when the sun was shining on them - the room was comfortably cool.

The food was excellent (given the amount paid, the number of people there, and the time it was available). My son managed to "eat for Britain"; tried everything, things he'd never had before, aquired a taste for cous cous (!) and was extremely happy. The ice cream is perfect. We enjoyed a night in the 1001 Restaurant - but didn't feel the need to return. The mains are lovely, the deserts a little disappointing. Lunch time food catered for everyone.

This is the first AL we've done and it was brilliant to be able to get food, drink, ice-creams etc without having to worry about the budget.

The staff we're OK - some very pleasent and helpful; others a little surley. If you get help with you bags on arrival - be prepared to tip (even in sterling) its expected and they don't leave the room until you do.

The entertainment was hopeless; didn't expect anything else from the previous reviews I've read. We played scrabble most nights; others were playing cards etc. To be honest, after a day out or in the heat we were both pretty tired and returned to our cool room for an early night.

The rep: Sam. Not impressive. The welcome meeting was sloppy; I stood for almost two hours afterwards waiting to book an additional night trip - along with quite a few others. He wasn't organised, kept darting off to make calls, didn't seem to appreciate time people were waiting and chatted away endlessly. He wasn't particularly professional, respectful or customer orientated. He did manage to confirm two of our trips that were booked prior to travel by Thomson, after we weren't on the coach list for the first trip. Chocolate TeaPot has been used before to describe him - and I'd agree. I'm an experienced people manager and I wouldn't be impressed if he worked for me. Given todays employment market - there has to be better people available to do this job. He either needs serious development or if that doesn't work .....

Atlas Mountains trip worth every penny; Souks and Medina - good, an eye opener - spa products interesting to hear about and a chance to cool down - they do sell for quite a time though. Camel treking very good - but our company was far far better than some friends who signed up for the same trip but got a different company and had a horrible experience. If you want to go into the main square at night - worth going on the Calche by Night trip we did and enjoyed the experience.

So, we both thoroughly enjoyed this holiday. Excellant VFM. Wouldn't necessarily go back to Marrakesh, would use Thomson and go AL again though. {APPLE!!}

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Steve J
London
Reviewed 20 July 2013

This hotel is a good find. From the instant you step through it's doors, you'll get a greeting as warm as the Moroccan sun.

We arrived late evening around 10 pm, and had the option of either booking in (remember the forms at the airport?) or grabbing a quick bite, as the restaurant closed in about an hour. Well, we sprinted through the forms ably assisted by hotel reception, and scooted off to the restaurant for a late night snack and drinks.

A word about reception. They’re extremely helpful and any attempt to ‘speak the lingo’ appears to reap rewards. In thanking the person in reception on our first night, we slipped in ‘La shrukan jazilan’. It seems to have got us a good room – judging by other reviews.

After our meal, we had our luggage carted off to our block 4 room. Cool on entry – the AC was efficient AND quiet; clean on first inspection; spacious as thou like... we had arrived and deserved a well earned rest.

We will get our bearings and explore the well-kept grounds and beyond the next day.

"Breakfast offered a varied fare to please even the most fussy" I opined, "I want some more". And get some more, I did - it's a buffet of quantity, to feed the masses innumerable times over.
The staff are polite; the restaurant size adequate without being imposed on by thy meal chomping neighbours; the atmosphere convivial.

It is preferred that men wear long trousers at dinner – this ‘rule’ is not strictly adhered to but I did my bit to comply. My partner saw a guest turn up for dinner in a ‘very skimpy’ t-shirt and shorts. He was turned away, much to his embarrassment.

Much has been said about the entertainment, but for us the ‘African show’ eclipsed all that followed. It had energy; ‘how did they do that tricks’ and much laughter and audience participation. We didn’t go on other evenings, but by all accounts we’d seen the best. Have to say my partner thought more of it than I.

You must try the 1001 nights restaurant (Les Mille Et Une Nuits) but be warned its VERY popular and has a limited number on each sitting per night. We booked on Tuesday for a Wednesday meal and shortly after we overheard someone trying to book but couldn’t get a seating until the Thursday.

It’s worth it – diners will be treated to traditional Moroccan meals; expertly served local wine of your choice and serenaded throughout your meal.

The courtesy bus into town has a schedule, the times of which you can pick up at reception.

As regards exploring outwith the grounds of Riu Tikida Garden, we got around with a combination of hotel bus and local bus. We eschewed the Thomson rep and organised our own trips: Essaouira (via Supratours), Jemaa el Fna, Jardin Majorelle, the Guilez, Koutoubia mosque, the souks in the medina, and sought out our own restaurants in the square. And we didn’t get lost in the souks – no reason to, if you have a good internal gps. Plenty of time to weave and wind through the tiny passages, at the same time dodging the scooters. What’s with that?

Visiting the Medina both day and night gives a different perspective. Beware the self-appointed ‘guides’ who just wander up and start their spiel. A firm ‘La shruka’ (no thanks) should do it but be prepared to say it more than once!!

Stay cool.

This AI experience was highly enjoyable. We stayed 7 nights – wish we’d booked for longer.

3 Thank veganise