“Birthday treat”

Ranked #115 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed here July 17th - July 24th A lovely looking hotel with pristine gardens, Check in was efficient and quick even though we arrived quite late in the evening they had left the restaurant open so we could get something to eat which was very nice. There is quite a variety on offer so long as you’re not a pizza and chips person. Try the different salads, they are lovely.
The speciality Moroccan restaurant is a nice setting although found the seating a little low if you sit in the lower tables. 1st course is self service, 2nd course is chicken or lamb tagine or a veggie option, and desert is self service.
The pool is of a good size and has the normal early morning gang with towels. We never did that and still always managed to find a bed. In previous reviews I have read about people talking about wasps flying around, I only found this if you left your empty drinks lying around, even though they do come around collecting these sometimes its best just to take them yourself away from the pool side.
You can get your drinks and lunch from the poolside eatery, the only drink we found with any potency in was the sangria, 3 liquors topped up with red wine, we did have a few of these.
The rooms are clean, and the staff are so friendly. Rooms cleaned every day and fresh towels. Shame there is only 2 English channels on the TV. I know I’m not there to watch TV but after a long day around the pool, and an evening out it’s nice to come back and watch something.
Now for the real downside, the Zanzibar is a lovely bar, nice and cool, the bar staff are so friendly and can have a good chat with. The part that really lets this down is the entertainment; we saw a little stage area thinking that we would see some nice things in the evenings, how wrong was I, the poor guy who was trying to play his guitar whilst trying to sing whilst we tried to guess the song. I feel that the evening can be as bigger part of your holiday as any other time but this relentless act went on night after night. A lot of people come in get a drink and go out again which is a shame as so much could be done to change this.
The hotel was made aware that it was my birthday and I received a letter from the reception to show this to the restraunt manager the next time we was in, upon which we were shown to our own reserved table with a candle, rose petals and a bottle of bubbly. The waiter was really attentive and they all came and sang happy birthday to me, then for desert they gave me a lovely cake, which I have to admit I had to share. This was such a lovely touch, and I know the hotel read these reviews so I’d like to say many thanks for this.
There is a free bus into town but unfortunately it doesn’t drop you close to the markets unlike the sister hotel (Palmerie) so you have a 20 min walk in searing heat to get to the market. So after walking there and around that walk back doesn’t seem that appealing. We decided to get a carriage ride back to the hotel, don’t pay any more that 150dh that’s what I paid and there was 5 in the carriage.
Over all a lovely week, would I stay here again? I think I would, I have stayed at both Riu hotels now and they both have their good points and bad points. Feel free to ask anything if you need any more advice

6 Thank Kev_Herts67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Polish first
Walderslade
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Have just come back from 10 days at Tikida Garden with my wife and daughter and overall had a very enjoyable time although little things could have been better.
Things started off badly at the airport as wife and daughters bags were snatched from their grasp and dumped on a coach for the hotel transfer. I was greeted by the first of many requests for money. This would have been fine if we had be put on the correct coach but we ended up at the wrong hotel. However, we did then have a coach to ourselves as we were then dropped at our hotel which was only a short distance away.
Having checked into the hotel it was nice that the restaurant was still open as it was about 10.30pm and we could have something to eat.
Our room was bigger than we had expected and everything worked fine. The fridge is small but as it was only used to keep the free bottles of water which are available from reception cool this was not a problem. Our daughter was in a put you up bed which was bit soft for her liking.
As several other people have said the food does get a bit repetitive but overall it is of good quality. The Moroccan themed restaurant is very good and well worth trying.
The hotel entertainment is to say the least rather different but I think you need to remember that you are not in Europe and therefore Abba tribute bands and such like are rather thin on the ground. The entertainment staff are very pleasant as are all of the hotel staff and therefore I think they should be given credit for the work that they do.
I don't quite understand the desire to get up early to secure a sunned right by the poolside. We would often have a late breakfast and had no trouble securing a subbed and at no time were we much further than 20 metres from the pool. Contrary to other contributors the sun beds aren't all close to each other. There is sufficient room for all.
I think it is a shame that a lot of people seemed not to venture out of the hotel and experience Morocco. Marrakech proved to be a pleasant surprise with wide roads and green parks. The Medina, square and souks should be visited although do be aware that you will be pestered to buy things that you don't want but several firm no replies usually work and it is possible to get some nice bargains.
Would I go back to Tikida Garden? Probably not but that's because I've already been there and nothing against the hotel itself. Will I go back to. Morroco? Probably at some time in the future as it is a country that have lots of interesting places to explore

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Brian E
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I don't want to be biased here, but having stayed at the sister hotel, a couple of miles up the road 2 years ago, we were expecting pretty much the same. I don't want this review to be come across negative, but there are several elements that need addressing, and I'll come to those later.

The hotel is a very beautiful and picturesque hotel in stunning and very well kept gardens (hence the name) only a short distance from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. The general decor and design are pretty much what you would expect, with a beautiful main reception area (as with most hotels really).

Rooms: Room wise, we wanted to get a suite similar to the one we had at their sister hotel but given we booked late on, a twin was all that was left and were happy to go with that. Ive read a number of comments regarding the rooms. Whilst I agree that there could be some updating required, you cannot knock the cleanliness and efficiency of the hotel staff. My main negatives regarding the room, were the very very noisy air con (which albeit, worked reasonably well), the very poor excuse for a fridge (with exposed electrics at the rear) and the bathroom (which seriously needs some attention). Going on what we experienced at the Palmerie, this was worlds apart (though in fairness, the hotel has been there for a good few years).

Away from the rooms, the pool area I though was a little cramped, and was actually quite amusing how many got up at the crack of dawn to get 'their beds' and can only echo what others have said. Whilst we as a couple don't mind being away from the pool area (and we never had a problem getting a bed), the place could have done with maybes an additional outdoor pool. The staff again here were exceptional and cannot be faulted for general upkeep/cleanliness and general attitude towards the guests.
The only issue I would see with the pool area would be during summer holidays when a lot more children stay at the hotel as I can see many numbers of families effectively 'camping out' to get a bed near the pool. I can't lay any criticism at the other facilities available, as there are plenty of things to keep you occupied other then sun bathing. A lot of people mention the Wasps… well time of year, spilled sugary drinks etc it happens, theres ways of dealing with it and I don't remember anyone being stung at all… nowhere near as bad as Ive seen elsewhere.

Food:
Now I know some have commented on how varied the food was. Whilst I would agree to a point I have a few criticisms. Generally I thought the presentation and variety of food was pretty good, although would have preferred more of a variation on the Moroccan food available at lunch and dinner (although the Moroccan restaurant was excellent). My biggest bug bear was the temperature of the food, whilst I know this can often be a problem for buffet style, other hotels Ive stayed at, both for business and pleasure, do a lot better. One of the best meals I had (and by far the hottest) was the vegetable soup. Stunning.

Drinks:
Pros and Cons here. Large selection of soft drinks, juices etc. Wine was actually very nice. Beer fine, and often you need a double to taste any of the spirits. But other than that you can't really complain. To be honest the place could do with another 'evening bar' outside which there is adequate space for.

Staff:
Exceptional. Friendly, well humoured and 'genuine'.

Evening Entertainment:
Here we go.. my biggest criticism. Now the entertainment put on by the activity staff and others in the Salon Bar downstairs was the norm and generally entertaining. But I'm sorry to say that the Zanzibar offering pretty much spoilt most of our evening and others. If it's Riu's policy to try and thin down the amount of people drinking in an evening, they have come up with a masterstroke. I have never, I repeat NEVER, seen or heard the likes. The resident guitarist (I use that term very loosely) and vocalist (again loosely) had to be the worst 'act' Ive seen anywhere. The most enjoyable aspect of this experience was playing a version of 'name that tune'.
Having spoken to a number of guests, often, they would get a drink a leave. The busiest the bar ever got was when he wasn't on. Work. Once was bearable. 6 nights of 7 too much.

Generally its a pretty decent hotel but I'm not sure that Id give it 4 stars and we would probably have preferred to have returned to the Palmerie as it had much more to offer. A little note to about the wildlife… there are one or two tortoises roaming around, which made me laugh when we heard a woman saying that tortoise needed a drink (they have been surviving on their own for many years!). There are also a number of Salamanders and the occasional Frog hopping around on the evening (although the Palmerie wins on the frog count as there are hundreds of the things).

Room Tip: Stayed in block C 334 twin. Balcony with a inward facing room (terrace) near the reception. Very qui...
1 Thank thekentishtraveller
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

What more can you ask for? Me and my partner booked this last minute at an absolute steal, for what was our first holiday together. The hotel is very welcoming as are the staff, from greeting us with a cocktail on our first night to meeting our every need throughout the week we were there! The weather was stunning, if anything too hot, and the large swimming pool was ideal when we needed to cool off, whilst there are many activities that allow for the same. My partner used the spa facilities and was very impressed.
The all inclusive is as to be expected, but the specialties are very nice and worth a try, whilst the drinks are all nice enough, and very welcome in the hot weather!
The hotel rooms are lovely and offer free Wi-Fi, which all combined together equates to an extremely chilled out holiday! We loved it and would happily return, despite the obscene tradition of waking up at ungodly hours to secure sunbeds for the day!

PS. Don't buy from the hotel shop as the prices are inflated, and don't forget to bring enough sun tan cream as that is extortionately priced!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Allen-Jones2
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a week with my husband, 7 month old baby and my dad. We had a fabulous time & wished we had booked for longer.
When we arrived which was at 11ish in the morning we got told the rooms would be ready at international check in time 2pm. We were quite hot & tired (as the coaches took a long time to leave the airport due to passport control) & as we were travelling with a baby & needed to change his nappy we asked if our room could be ready earlier. We were told to come back at 12. So we had a cappuccino in Zanzibar which was delicious, had a little stroll around the grounds & when we returned our room was ready so we were pleased with the service right from the outset.
Our room had lots of space, great mirrors, and table and chairs, two twin beds pushed together, a travel cot & a camp bed. My dad didn't want to sleep on a camp bed so we had a word with one of the maids and straight away they bought in a proper bed. We also asked for a fridge because of travel pouches of food for the baby again which they organised immediately. The bathroom had a hair dryer in it and the shower and bath were great.
We went for lunch at the poolside bar and restaurant and it was excellent. You would have to be extremely fussy not to like anything at this hotel. There was always a huge choice of salads, fresh bread, soup, fresh fish, pasta, pizza, chips, chicken or beef dishes often international like Chinese or French, for dessert, cakes, fresh fruit, mousse and ice cream. The drinks were good and whilst they might not taste as strong as our brands back home it was nice to have a glass of wine with lunch and not feel tired in the afternoon.
The poolside area was great as there is a large pool which has a baby pool at the end. But it was far too cold in March so we took our little boy to the indoor pool and he loved it in there, it was nice and warm. I could imagine when the hotel is full there are not enough sun beds around this main pool. The entertainment team are nice and friendly but not pushy at all. There was a good choice of entertainment day and night and something to suit most people.
The restaurant in the evening was excellent too, you have breakfast in here as well. Again there is always lots of choice, with chefs cooking at stations and constantly refilling food. The waiters are very friendly and made a bug fuss of our little boy every meal time. The drinks are brought to your table and the waiters usually remember your drinks. There is a lovely conservatory area in this restaurant but the tables are only set up in twos so we could never go in.
There are comfy and relaxing seats in Zanzibar and a pianist plays at night. We found him to be quite entertaining as well as some of the bar staff. There was evening entertainment on downstairs but we did not venture down until half way through the week because we had a pram but the entertainment team would help us carry it down the stairs.
We went to the gym once which had a treadmill, steppers some weights, bikes and a gym room. We did not use the spa. The tea and coffee in the poolside bar are not very warm so it's best to get hot drinks from Zanzibar.
We tried to use the free shuttle service and waited in a queue until the bus came. Then once the doors opened some very rude foreign guests pushed me( and my baby) and others out of the way to get on the bus so we had to pay for our own taxi. Just a warning!
Also the grounds are lush and well maintained, the smoking in the reception area is quite bad though. I would definitely return.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Natalie W
Kazan, Russia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Not a bad hotel, 'per se', however, it is very much in need of a refurbishment.
The Thompson Star rating system, awards it a 4 'T' rating. I would award it a 2.5 star rating.
The number of guests was far too many for the size of the pool and in general too many people for the very low quality/quantity of the amenities.
The rooms were 2 star level at best and lacked proper maintenance, (air conditioning was poor and the 'in room' TV was tiny, with only two power sockets free for our use).
Fairly clean and the food was average, with limited choice and very average quality.
My wife, me and two teenage children stayed here, and would not go back, whilst it is in its present state.
Staff were helpful and happy, on the whole.
My whole family found ourselves doing a lot outside of the hotel complex, which is expected, especially in Marrakech, however, the hotel does need to improve the quality and quantity of 'on site' entertainment and amenities.
The gardens around the hotel, (hence the name of the place), were very nice, but not much use for European guests!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed the same, very average. No noise issues I could determine. Stay at the other...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just got home from a 10 day stay at this hotel where we had a great time, nice and relaxing. I would recommend a stay here. Just a few points though.

The food is of good quality and there is plenty of it however after 10 days it was quite repetitive. Breakfast had sausages, freshly cooked fried eggs, omelettes, scrambled eggs, beans, pastries. By far our favorite meal! Lunch and dinner was pretty much the same everyday, like I said its nice food but after 10 days I was glad for a change.

I felt that the new sunbed system worked in this hotel. You cant reserve a sunbed before 8am (unless you are sat on them) If you put your towels down at 7am then went back to bed they were removed by management. And so they should. If you want a sunbed you have to get up sit on them till 8am, I was up every morning at 7:15 to reserve 2 beds, no problem. At bang on 8am management removed the signs around pool area that are put out every morning and you can they leave your towels unattended on the sun bed and go for breakfast. Easy.

We felt the rooms were nice in the hotel. You don't have to pay for a safety box and there is a TV and fridge. The only problem we had was the air con was rubbish. But other people we spoke to in the hotel said that theirs was fine. I think it just depends what area of the hotel you stay in.

The entertainment wasn't great at night time but there at 2 bars to sit in at night that are open till midnight and a large selection of drinks to choose from so we were happy with that. Bar staff do a good job and you are served very quickly.

All in all I would recommend this hotel.

2 Thank Lee7590