“Fantastic hotel, wonderful staff and a real oasis”

Hotel Riu Tikida Garden
Ranked #113 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Fantastic hotel, wonderful staff and a real oasis”
Reviewed 3 November 2009

This is the third time I have stayed at this hotel and would recommend it to anyone. The grounds are beautiful and a real oasis away from the buzz of the city, yet it is only ten minutes in a taxi. Taxis are parked at the entrance so there is no problem popping into town. The location where the hotel is situated is actually pretty intersting as it where people actually live and wandering around you see their workshops and local everyday souks. The hotel offers and extensive package of excursions from trips around the souks to all day trips into the Atlas mountains. The food is very good with something for everyone. My ten year old daughter loved the food and the pool. You can play tennis, etc and the animation team are happy to encourage anyone who wants to do a spot of belly dancing or learn to make mint tea. All the staff couldn't be more friendly and professional. The rooms are good, and I am sure I will return again in the future.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank WeeJeanLondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Polish first
Berkshire
Reviewed 21 October 2009

I have just returned from Tikida Gardens after spending a week at the hotel. Having read the last few reports before setting off it is fair to say left with a degree of trepidation of what I would find.

Arriving at the hotel, which is located in a rather scruffy area of Marrekesh, we were greeted by an oasis of greenery that formed the hotels gardens which are meticulously kept by an army of gardeners, forever sweeping the fallen leaves and pruning the bushes and trees that grow in the constantly hot climate.

Our room was plenty large enough, extremely clean and had a smallish balcony. The maid service was daily and up to a very high standard, plenty of clean towels etc which was up to UK standards and beyond.

The food which seems to have been a problem for a few was not prevalent and there was no mention of tummy problems. We ate as we wanted too and indeed ate foods that we thought we would not touch having read previous reports. Fresh salads and fruit were offered in abundance and were extremely fresh and beautifully presented. The main meals were, a tad samey it has to be said but there was always something new to try and the puddings offered daily were an absolute pleasure and obviously made by an extremely good pastry chief who should be congratulated, as this was always the highlight of the meal. Lunch was varied and eaten by the poolside under cover from the midday heat of the day.

As said before by others it does help to speak some French as most of the guests are French and this is spoken by the staff and locals but, as always some English can always be found.

We found the best days were had by visiting the Souks in the mornings and then the afternoons, when the sun can be very hot, sitting around a large, well kept pool reading a book which is a great way to spend a day.

Taxi’s are 20-30 Dirhams to the Souk and 40-50 to return, it is more expensive from town as they generally have no fair to pick up getting back into the centre.

All inclusive? brilliant as we only spent about £35 on taxi’s, tips, coffee’s outside of the hotel etc during the whole week apart from buying gifts etc to bring back. Never had to buy any water as the hotel offer this free at all meals so take your half empty bottles away with you or just ask for more.

Being slightly out of town? Again great as it is nice to get away from the hustle of the City centre.

Would I go again ? without hesitation, a super hotel in a fascinating place.

Drawback? Not sure there would be too much to do if you happen to be there when it rained, although it doesn’t do that much.

Have fun !!!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OliverCr0mwell
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 30 September 2009

My Husband and I stayed at the Tikida Garden Hotel for one week arriving friday Aug 28th. First impressions of the area where very depressing, but the hotel came across as being very nice and the swimming pool was excellent.
On Sat we went to the main square. My bags were stolen by the women who do henna painting on your hands. And the men with monkeys forced 300 Dirhams off us for taking one photo. They spat in my face as i tried to explain and threatened my husband.
We had not eaten out as we were all inc, the food at the hotel was lovely but deadly. For Breakfast it was crossaunt and cereal. Or Eggs..Omellette or fried. On the first day we had an Omelette. It was cooked with a cup of oil, and the fried eggs were cooked in marg. On the second morning I asked the girl if she could do my omlette in the marge, as that's how we do it in England. She looked very angry at me and upturned the pan of hot oil. All main meals are self service.
By monday my husband had very bad Diarrhoea. I became ill the following day.
Wed evening as we finished writing postcards home, my husband got up and headed to the toilet, But as he aproached the hallway he passed out, he fell forward smashing his head on the edge of the wall. He landed hard on the tiled floof and started fitting and chanting. I ran to get the Manager, and he called the doctor. I had run out screaming as I thought my husband was dead. his eyes had rolled back in his head and he just lay there in his own mess, his head split open. He came round as i returned and other english couples had come out of their rooms. One man said that as soon as he heard the chanting, he knew what was going on. He said you hear it up and down his corridoor. People passing out everywhere. Other couples told of their experiences..some horrific. This had been going on for weeks maybe months.
When the doctor arrived he would not look at my husband, I then realised he wanted the money first. I handed over 800 Dirhams. He opened his bag which had blood stained clothes and filthy instruments. He wiped my husbands head with a dirty rag, gave him an anistetic and proceeded imidiatley to stitch up his head. He felt the first four stitches and was in a lot of pain. No xrays no follow up. We then had to hand over another 600 Dirhams for a prescription for antibiotics. I was told that if i gave the manager 300 Dirhams he would get a petit taxi parked at the hotel front, to get our prescription, we did this.
I also medicated myself by using the meny boxes of tablets given by the doctor to my husband.
My tip.... if you really want to go to Morocco then learn french. They seem to have a lot more time and understanding of the french. But I am Convinced they Hate the English.
24 English people affected by food poisioning that I know of at the hotel But....1 French lady. two thirds of the hotels occupants were french.
On the day we left more english people arrived. A lady with her elderly father, and a couple with 2 very young children. Please God they are ok.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank NeverAgain09
london
Reviewed 17 September 2009

I felt I had to leave this review as there have been one or two negative ones recently. Everything about the hotel was good. Spotlessly clean, rooms cleaned and towels changed everyday, outside was always being washed and reception thoroughly everyday. Food was good and there was a good choice of drinks and the pool was big with plenty of beds around (my tip is to get there and save beds before about 10am). Yes the bus service does not drop you right in old town but it really isn't that far to walk and you get a chance to take in the atmosphere. Staff friendly and for bar staff I recommend tipping them first night and then you are never left without an empty glass. Gardens are beautiful and well maintained and it's amazing how quiet it is, because as soon as you step outside main gates you are right in the thick of it with the locals and the hustle and bustle. Would visit again, had no complaints.

2 Thank kentgirlinlondon
cheshire
Reviewed 16 September 2009

just arrived back from a week at this hotel and had a fantastic time there , a beautiful reatreat from the mayhem of marrakesh,my partner and myself had no problem with food poisoning and compared to other all incusive hotels we have stayed at before thought the standard of food was very good, beautiful pool ,had a amazing facial at the spa and anyone looking for a peaceful holiday should go ,my only fault with this hotel would be the main bar was too smokey and our beds were very hard and the pillows to but we asked for softer ones at reception .marrakesh is a fun place to visit ,be prepared to haggle in the souks we got some great things to take back with us at cheap prices ,so dont be put off by other reviews if u have already booked this hotel my experience was perfect !

1 Thank costaCheshire
Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Great hotel on the face of it, but 11 people (I was aware of) with food poisoning within the space of a few days?
If you do travel to this hotel please at least take the following information:-

1. Extra money in local currency so you can get better once you are ill:-
400 Dirham for a Dr to visit you and prescribe antibiotics, another 100-200 Dirham for the medication he prescribes, if you are unlucky enough to injure yourself as you pass out in pain/fatigue please take another 400 Dirham for being stiched up (which I witnessed).

2. The phone number for the International Hospital (which I didnt have at the time) Poly Cliniqu du Sud 024447999 open 24 hours, and independent from the hotel Doctor.

I could go on but I will spare you the details......

1 Thank Wazzard
uk
Reviewed 6 September 2009

We stayed in this hotel from 29th August to 5th September. We were a group of five and three of us had very bad food poisoning. We then found out that we were not the only ones - there were about 20 people who had the same problem. We only ate in the hotel. We bought antibiotics from the pharmacy but a number of other people we very ill and at least four of them passed out, one person cut his head badly when falling. The hotel doctor was called to a number of people. I wrote a letter to the management while I was there and they didn't even acknoledge the letter. They had a meeting with two other guests and would not admit that there was a problem. They kept saying it was the 'English stomaches', too much time had been spent in the sun, we were dehydrated etc. The doctor, who was at the meeting, insisted that it was not anything to do with the food even though he had prescribed antibiotics to everyone. The management claimed that they only knew about it on the Thursday even though the hotel had called the doctor on many occasions during the week. There were some guests who were leaving the day after we arrived and they told us that they were both very ill and that the hotel had called the doctor - so it's not just something that was happening during the week that we were there and I notice that someone put a review on Trip advosor in early August.

We are both still ill and only able to eat boiled rice.

When we arrived we thought it was a good hotel and that we would like to return and be more active when it wasn't so hot...but now.

The rest of the hotel was absolutely fine, all the staff were great (except the management). Rooms fine, it all looked clean etc. But they have a big problem in the kitchen even though they have a consultant hygeine man.

I possibly wouldn't be writing this negative review if the management had been honest with us.

One guest who was ill read in her guide book (too late) not to call the hotel doctor but find one outside. The doctor just backed up the hotel.

A spoilt holiday