“Truly a beautifull hotel”

Hotel Riu Tikida Garden
Ranked #122 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Just returned from staying a week in this hotel..the gardens are beautifull the rooms are spacious and cleaned everyday,A good selection of food and wine and well trained staff.helpfull front desk and always an english speaker on staff to help.large clean swimming pool with clean toilets and showers plenty of sun beds in the large gardens and poolside.Free bus into town and back..Trips are expensive but run on time with a guide included.we enjoyed our stay and are rerurning next year.....down side ..this is a poor country you need to have plenty of coins for the beggers,guides will for a price will take you around town but they will take you to the shops ..carpets ect and even when asked to visit historical sites will continue to do the shops.we paid off the guide and found our way around.Read lonely planet morroco its a must.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joylee50
Write a ReviewReviews (2,952)

Reviewed 24 September 2010

Had a pleasant week here : seems to be predominantly French guests . It would help to be able to speak some French - not just here , but in Morocco in general - as English is not widely spoken . The staff were all very attentive & helpful & the food was excellent thoughout our stay. Room overlooked a well attended garden . We were there as part of a package . As pleasant as our stay was - Its not a hotel that we would rush back to - it all seemed rather formal & was quite some distance from the centre . But if its peace & quiet , with an opportuinity to play golf & take some spa treatments , this could be the place for you .

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HertsWanderer
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Ok, apologies in advance for the long-winded diatribe - have a lot to say about this place.

First let me start by saying that I contracting awful food poisoning on this holiday. While I cannot for sure attribute it to the hotel, I can say that at least 7 other guests I know of contracted it also (it was common 'pool-side' conversation). Secondly the 'buffet breakfast' I had 24 hours before falling ill was appalling and consisted of warm-ish poultry sausages and VISIBLY MOULDY bread. Outside of this breakfast I only ate at very pleasant French-run restaurants so will leave to you to decide where I contracted it.

Outside of this, which is unfortunate but not enough to condemn a hotel, my partner and I had the following issues;

- Terrible service. We made an effort to speak limited French but were treated as a 'commodity' by the staff who frequently forgot and/or sent the wrong things to the room for room service (my partner called reception twice asking for a bottle of red wine only to be kept 30 minutes and then bought a bottle of rose by mistake).
- I had to argue for 1 HOUR with the Manager of the hotel when I refused to pay for the breakfast buffet consisting of mouldy bread (would you?). Her response was 'it's a buffet, what do you expect?' etc etc which went on for quite a while. Just reiterates the fact that they have NO INTEREST in making your stay pleasurable in the slightest.
- On the subject of room service, they were rude, forgetful, completely unapologetic and generally unpleasant to deal with.
- The 1001 restaurent is just dire. Prices on a par with a nice restaurant in the Gueliz or Medina but quality is not even half that of those restaurants. Completely lacks any ambience. When we arrived there was one couple in there and no-one else came in the whole duration.
- Drink prices are inflated. They rely on the fact that guests have to take a 15 minute taxi journey to enjoy any other nightlife facilities so they are shamelessly cashing in on this.
- Many of the amenities close early and or close completely on a Sunday - for a resort that is so far away from other services it is unacceptable.
- There was no ice-cream available around the pool for our whole stay?!?! call me picky but you can't have a day around the pool without ice-cream (particularly for the kids?!)
- The gym will charge you 100 dhms (approx 7 quid) for use of the gym for half-day (no shorter time slots available). Again in a resort like this I find it annoying that you would have to pay to use certain facilities.

I really have only scratched the surface here and I have forgotten/ommitted certain things but the gist of what I am saying is that you are completely commoditized, treated with contempt and offered none of the comforts/luxuries you expect when going on holiday.

In conclusion I have the names/numbers of my fellow guests who contracted food poisoning between 19th/21st August and I'm interested in hearing from anyone else as I'm sure there were more of us??

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tbone83
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Well, this is the most unusual place that we have been to. I was amazed as soon as we got off the plane. We were in a posh mini bus and there were donkey and carts racing along at the side of us and mopeds with whole families on them. It was dusty and busy but fabulous. The hotel was really clean, lovely comfortable bedroom and good food. It is a little out of the city but I think that this gave us the best of both worlds because it has a lovely big pool area. There is a taxi rank outside the hotel, be prepared to haggle for the price which can get a bit tiring. The taxi drivers had an argument one morning as we went into the city and as we drove in, a gun fell into my fathers lap from the dashboard. Not sure if it was real or immitation but the taxi driver thought it was funny. I absolutely loved the souks and had fun bartering. We took the trip to the Atlas Mountains in a four by four jeep. Really enjoyed this and had a great day out. It was stunning. We took a local taxi into Marrakesh and visited the Marjorelle Gardens. They are not very big but definately worth a visit. It was a great week and a mixture of a city and a relaxation break. Great staff at the hotel too.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We were a little wary prior to our trip, as a few reviewers had marked the hotel down as regards food, cleanliness and service. I can only say that they must have been staying at a different Tikida Gardens to the one in which we spent a fab 8 days!
The food was freshly prepared, and although a little repetitive over the period, was of a high standard, with a selection of Moroccan dishes available every evening (ideal, unless you want fish & chips/burgers etc etc - if so, try a staycation!). The restaurant staff could not have been more accomodating and helpful.
Standards of cleanliness were superb across the hotel, from the general areas (reception, poolside restaurant etc) to the bedrooms and toilet facilities (checked, I believe, every 20 minutes!).
The outdoor pool was spotless, with the "animation team" doing a wonderful job in ensuring that both adults & kids were kept busy - if they wanted to be involved - at key times throughout the day.
Special mention must go to Mohamed, one of the Reception Managers, who was a mine of information; sorted various trips (necessary as our tour guide didn't manage to collect us at the airport, and only contacted us after we complained - and then disappeared again!!); sorted any minor problems as they arose; advised on taxi fares etc etc - he really helped make our holiday memorable, and we will use him as our point of contact when we next visit.
In answer to the question "would you recommend to a friend?". We will return- what more can I say!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Went to Marrekech for 10days with partner in early July 2010. Stayed in a Riad first for 3 days, experienced true localness/hard bargaining/local food and then came to Best Tikida later for the rest 7days just for relaxation and true rest.

Great hotel with fab maintenance. Trees & flowers everywhere and it's clean and tidy. Rooms are cleaned everyday, staff are friendly and helpful. Food at the evening buffet is top of the range, different everyday with great variety from local lamb tangine to raw beef steak, fresh fish to good salad mix, even fruits are far more tastier than uk imports. Swimming pool is large and warm all day long with many seatings available. Animation team is charming. Water volleyball is great fun.

Now the less good bit:
1. Location is slightly out of town. They offer free shuttle to new town and it's about 15-20min walk to Medina/square. 8min walk to the supermarket, which is handy. If you take a petit taxi to the square, 10-15dirham single person, 15-20 for two takes around 7min. Always engociate the price beforehand and half their asking price. Coming back may cost slightly more coz they know you live in a big hotel. The location is not a big deal to us since the riad we stayed in at the beginning is about 15min walk to the centre near the Royal Palace, surrounding is busy and full of local character. Though it's great, after you have done enough walking, you really don't mind taking taxi all the
Mind anymore.

2. Though the food in the hotel is fab, the evening buffet is not cheap, £18 per head. However it's far better than any restaurates around the square. Or you can try the morrocan dishes by the pool. Also, their drinks are not cheap neither, better buy bulk from supermarket and use their mini fridge in the room to keep cool. Save a lot of money. No kettle in the room, bring one yourself if u wanna drink something hot. We take bottles in the morning buffet to get chilled water and orange juice. Also make sandwiches for lunch. Save money, no point paying a lot extra for half board unless dinner is included.

Other than that, great hotel.

Reviewed 9 July 2010

Visited for an eleven day stay, Hotel is clean and comfortable with friendly staff, the breakfast buffet caters for all tastes, this hotel suited us for this trip we had visited Marrakech before and so this time only wanted somewhere sunny to chill out and read in that respect it ticked our boxes although I did get the impression some of our fellow guests were going stir crazy, so keep in mind if you intend eating out budget for taxis(available at front gate) walking out to dine locally not really an option, if you do venture out beware of people introducing themselfs as members of the hotel staff, they have spied you leaving and later act as if they recconise you, you will end up in a rug shop which is not a problem if you can say No! if you are tempted remember import tax.The only fault I could find with this hotel was for it's size a decent sattelite tv system should be available.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple