“Better than expexcted”

Ranked #393 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Better than expexcted”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Having read a few reviews was feeling a bit wary of what to expect. However staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were cleaned every day and new towels every day. Basic rooms but all you need really. Breakfast was what you would expect, plenty of choice. I am diabetic so had to keep my self in check and did not have a lot of choice but there was enough. it is what you would expect from a 3* hotel and you get what you pay for. pool area was quite busy so my friend and I found the roof terrace which we had to ourselves.

Room Tip: We were in room 8 which was on the ground floor and had doors to the garden. Was a little noisy at t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
lymm, cheshire
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed here with a friend on a cheap Easyjet deal, so my expectations were fairly low. The hotel was perfectly adequate. It was cheap and cheerful, but that is what I expected. Bedrooms basic and some bits if furniture a little tatty, but it was clean (which is more important in my view). I can't believe some of the comments about this hotel - it is a basic 3 star and a good one; some people are making such nit picking complaints as if they were expecting 5 star facilities! (they know what they paid!) We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful ( we stayed for 5 nights) and nothing was too much trouble. Yes, sometimes things don't happen too quickly, but you have to accept that is the general mood of the people and culture here. Breakfast was limited, but fine for a quick start to the day. We didn't have dinner here and there is no food available at other times of the day. The location of this hotel is excellent. Within 5/10 minutes walk there are plenty of restaurants and cafes and a lively night time atmosphere. It is a pleasant 30 minute stroll to the Medina if you don't want to get a taxi.

2 Thank lesley909
London
Reviewed 21 April 2014

As a group of seven, we booked three rooms, all with balconies. On arrival, we discovered that the rooms didn't have balconies and we had to call down to reception to get someone to come to the rooms to switch on the air conditioning, because they've removed the control knobs from the air conditioning units!

The rooms were quite dirty and worn, we staying in better Riads much closer to the Medina. Even the places within the Medina were better value.

Upon complaining about not receiving the rooms we'd booked, I was told there were none of the rooms available which we'd booked. I was baffled at how this was even possible, considering we'd booked over 2 months in advance and they had not even informed us about it! In fact, I was told that we were lucky that we even had rooms, because apparently some people a week previously turned up and didn't have the room available that they booked.

When I asked to speak to the manager, the lady at reception continued to be rude, dismissive and patronising, stating that the manager was not at the hotel and wouldn't be there until the next evening. - Conveniently, after we would have vacated the hotel, and she knew this.

When I asked for her name, she refused several times. Sliding the business card of the hotel onto the reception desk! She eventually gave me her name as Salwa Yazane. I'm not even sure if this is her real name, but I've never experienced someone who is working in a customer service role to be so appalling at providing customer service. I was actually quite upset about this experience and would not recommend this hotel at all!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I feel like my friend and I definitely didn't get the best twin share room in the hotel... It stunk of cigarette smoke and had no character compared to a lot of other Moroccan hotels I stayed in. The only good aspect was the buffet breakfast. If I were to stay there again, I would ask NOT to stay in rooms 1 - 10.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Cambridge
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We have just spent 7 days at the Hotel Oudaya. All the staff were very nice and friendly. If you are nice to people, they are nice to you! The food was good (we were half board) and we have really enjoyed been there.It is 45 minutes walking to the city centre so ensure you take good shoes!Thanks to the team that made our stay very pleasant.

1 Thank Lor6969
FL
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I recently spent 2 days at this hotel. It was part of a tour itinerary, and I had extended by one day, prepaying with the tour group. I presented a voucher for that paid extra day. Fortunately for me, I had another voucher, which I had to continue to show each time I was asked to pay yet again for this room. I was literally harassed for the money, and each time I showed my voucher, the personnel said, "ok, ok, sorry". It involved different people all the time. One time I had a call from the front desk to come to the desk AFTER I was sound asleep! To top this off, once when my husband and I were across the street buying bottled water, one of the hotel staff badgered us into coming into his shop and tried to force us to buy something. The elevator doors often opened only part way. The hotel is big and confusing. I have recommended to the tour company that they find another hotel in Marrakesh. The hotel gave me a bad taste and I'm certain that my so-so feelings about Marrakesh, as compared with the rest of Morocco, had a lot to do with this hotel. Being asked to show a voucher after surrendering one to the desk 8 different times is way out of line. I seldom pan hotels, but this one needs to be panned.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sally47
Staffordshire Moorlands
Reviewed 7 February 2014

The Hotel Oudaya in Marrakesh is centrally situated for exploring the city.

However, the room we were allocated was very disappointing. It smelled musty, looked out through filthy windows, onto a wall that had peeling plaster,. and the orange decoration cira l970 felt depressing. The wallpaper was marked and torn in places.

The room was cold and unwelcoming.

The bed was surprisingly comfortable, but the sheets were so old and thin, you could almost see through them. The towels were a greyish white, and the bath towels not large enough..

From what I saw, I think the hotel needs to close for total refurbishment.

I was glad we were only staying one night, and couldnt get out of the hotel quick enough - a view shared by my seven fellow travellers..

I would certainly not return, or recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends