“Tranquil paradise”

Ranked #143 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Tranquil paradise”
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Highly recommend staying here if you want luxurious, private and relaxing. Each villa is set in amazing gardens and all are very private with their own pool. All the staff went out their way to help us in any way they could and really made this feel homely and relaxing (This included bring us dinner to our own terrace each night so we could eat whilst our daughter was asleep).

The food was absolutely amazing - the best I have ever had in Morocco. All extremely fresh with most of it coming from the gardens of the hotel. The chef also specifically catered for my 18 month old daughter and cooked her fantastic healthy dishes each day and I never felt worried about her becoming ill from the food or water.

I would also highly recommend the cookery class even if you are not staying in the hotel. The chef speaks amazing English and the class is done in a very friendly and relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 May 2011

For a second consecutive year we chose Jnane Tamsna for our arrival destination in Morocco to recover from jet lag in comfort and beauty. The website doesn't do it justice -- the fragrance that pervades from the rosemary hedges and lavender, the sense of space and open luxury, the one-swimming-pool-for-each-villa, the sense of calm and beauty and the spacious, creatively appointed rooms legitimize the cliche "oasis of calm".

Before our first visit last year we were hesitant - we are not interested in following celebrities, the cockroach stories - etc. But after two sublime visits we suspect Jnane is one of the many victims of nasty competitors enjoying anonymity in order to deter people.

I see many here though talk of the hospitality, let me add our most recent example. This year we had a room in the main building - a large one in the corner on the top floor. It opened to the very large roof, which is nicely appointed with lounge chairs, etc, but it felt less than private. We made a comment to Sammira, the lovely, gracious woman who runs the office. When we got back from an hour at one of the five swimming pools we were astonished to see two carpenters out on the roof, building an enclosure to give us privacy outdoors, creating a roughly 20' x 20' outdoor living room. We hadn't asked - they simply heard a client concern and created a delightful solution.

They did the same last year for the family that was to follow our occupancy of a large room in one of the villas -- there were two large corner rooms on the front of the villa, and the family was going to have young children with them. What did Jnane do? They built beautiful Moroccan style doors to secure the two adjacent rooms, creating a secure environment for the family.

So if you want peace, quiet, privacy, beauty, good food and warm surroundings, Jnane is a good choice. But note - this is like an 8 acre estate serviced by friends - if you want flat screen TV, telephones and instant room service, try a hotel. Otherwise, life doesn't get much better.

One other note - if this is your first visit to Morocco, be aware that the call to prayer is done multiples times daily through loud speakers. The neighboring village provides this "service" for Jnane, but we experienced the same in two separate riads in the city.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RTL212
Paris, France
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We had a very enjoyable stay at the Jnane Tamsna and appreciated the friendliness of the staff and the beautifully decorated, spacious rooms, however, having read the rave reviews I was a bit disappointed. I had been looking forward to tasting the Moroccan food, but found it uninspiring and pretty average - one night our desert was just a no frills 2 scoops of ice cream, very unlikely to have been even home made. Most guests seem to go in to Marrakech to eat and dinner, while in a beautiful setting, was rather soulless as often we were the only guests. The staff however were charming, particularly those at the reception and transport to and from the city centre was made easy by an efficient taxi booking system. We welcomed the calm of the location, but guests should be aware that the Palmeraie is not a luxurious glade of palms, but more scrubland with shanty towns contrasting markedly with some luxurious villas closed off behind walls - the reality is that most of the palms have been killed by disease. All in, an enjoyable, relaxing stay with charming, personal service, but they could do with a new chef.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank wildatheart78
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I stayed at Jnane Tamsna after visiting friends who were staying there in the past and was not disappointed. It really appeals to your senses from the amazing surroundings to the sounds of nature, the smells of the various gardens and the taste of the amazing food.

It is paradise and a welcome retreat after the hustle and bustle of the old town which is only a short taxi ride away. (always available to be booked by the attentive staff), the wonderful gardens seem to hide secluded swimming pools at every turn and there is always a quiet corner to relax.

I would recommend this hotel in an instant to any of my friends.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank AndyDavis007
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 24 January 2011

On our first trip to Morocco, I could not imagine finding a place more wonderful than Jnane Tamsna, to experience the country's culture in a gracious and luxurious environment. Superlatives fail me when I think of how to describe the gardens, the interiors, the staff and the food. It was such an amazing experience to visit there -- from the time we arrived until our reluctant departure. And we will absolutely go back at the first opportunity. The location relative to Marrakech was not a problem and in fact, it was a nice change of pace after a day of shopping in the souk to come back and relax at Jnane. We took cooking classes there which were delightful and we ate the tagine we made for dinner that night! I am a seasoned business traveler, so my standards for luxury and service when i travel for leisure are very high. This is the first experience that I can truly say exceeded all of my expectations.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 13 November 2010

I stayed at Jnane Tamsna for 5 days with my husband as part of our 15 day honeymoon to Morocco. On arrival we were met by friendly staff who took us on a short walk from the main house, through a lush garden, to the Indian Room where we were staying. The room was spacious and superbly decorated, in the same relaxed-luxury style of the rest of the estate. We had our own dressing room, robes, fresh towels, beautiful hand-made soaps beside each of the his and hers basins. Directly outside the room was the pool, one of many on the estate, that was shared with 4 of the other garden rooms, an there was plenty of space to practise yoga in the mornings in several different spots around the rooms. The garden outside of our room was full of Pomegranate Trees, in season, and the sound of birdsong was all around. It was truly an idyllic place to stay.

We loved the fact that there were so many beautifully designed areas where you could curl up with book quietly, but also plenty of opportunities to meet other guests if we wanted - eating lunch in the garden, or having an apero or after dinner drink in the lounge where there was a complimentary bar. We never had to pay for our drinks, as I had read in one review. There were guests from all over and we met some really interesting people.

The lounge area also had wifi which we found really useful in planning other parts of our trip.

Meals there were also very good - delicious breakfasts of homemade yoghurt, jams, argan honey, Beghrir (Moroccan crepes), and M'Semmen (pan-fried bread), plus eggs and omelet that could be ordered from the kitchen. For dinners and lunch they served both traditional Moroccan dishes (I had the best kefta I had in our whole Moroccan trip for lunch on our first day) as well as more european-style dishes, but all using local seasonal ingredients.

To get into Marrakesh you need to take a taxi and it takes about 15 minutes. But the tranquility of Jnane Tamsna was welcome after a bustling day in the medina, and was worth the trip.

The staff couldn't have been nicer. One of the managers, Brahim, was fantastic, and made us several dinner reservations in Marrakesh, and even managed to get us into a fully booked restaurant one evening at the last minute. They also were fabulous with helping us organise a guide for a trip we wanted to take out to the desert.

Meryanne, the owner, has done a beautiful job creating a luxury getaway, but that still feels like a home. We really felt sad to leave, and can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EmilyBF
UK
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Jnane Tamsna is a real gem if you're looking for somewhere which is not in the Medina in Marrakech. I chose it because I'd stayed in the Medina for 2 nights and wanted somewhere at the end of a hectic trip which was peaceful, tranquil, beautiful and a real treat to relax, soak up the sun, lovely food and surroundings, before heading back to an English winter.

The architecture and gardens at Jnane Tamsna are exquisite, with elegant arches leading from one courtyard and garden to another. The main 'riad' style building has the characteristic courtyards within courtyards which focus on a central tiny olive grove and little pool. This building houses rooms which are hidden behind large barn doors and old carved doors, so you wouldn't know they were there. Each room is individually designed with lovely Moroccan styles. My room had it's own sitting room with loungers, a simple double bed, and a shower room ensuite. The herbal toiletries were gorgeous to shower in, especially after a couple of weeks of trekking in the desert! The attention to detail on the design is faultless - the main 'living room' in the main house was a gorgeous room with an open fire where we enjoyed cocktails every evening. I was travelling on my own, seeking peace and quiet, so could just go and curl up in the living room by the fire with my book and sip my drink, and could chat to other guests as I felt like it.

The gardens are really beautiful, and the main source of a lot of the food you will eat here, so the figs, pomegranates, olives, rosemary, lavendar, etc all came from the garden. The gardens are full of amazing trees and flowers that create beautful shade and a home for a lot of birds who serenade you while you rest and relax.

The staff here are all so friendly, they were very helpful.

The food was tremendous, a fusion of Moroccan and more European tastes, and was all very fresh and beaitfully presented. Lunch was eaten under dappled shade outdoors in the garden, dinner was enjoyed by the fire in the dining room in the evening. It is a Foodie Heaven and a Gourmet tour by someone called Peggy was there at the time with a large group. This was OK, but the group was so large it tended to dominate such a small, intimate place, and I definitely felt at times that they took over a bit, and some of their guests seemed to think it was odd I was travelling on my own and wanted to stay eating on my own - so I hope this hotel doesn't allow too many of such large groups too regularly - the whole point of this place is quiet, intimate, seclusion.

I heard one couple on arriving here complaining they were dissapointed it wasn't in the Medina - so check your location facts before travelling! The whole point about this place is for people who've had their fill of the noisy chaos of the Medina and want to escape to a peaceful paradise where all you hear are the birds singing and the swish of the breeze in the palm leaves - and then go back to the Medina if you want. This probably isn't the right place for you if you are only in Marrakech for a few nights and really want to be in the middle of that Souk-Medina-Square experience, but it's amazing to visit if you can try to stay in Marrakech for longer and will be seeking peace and quiet after a couple of days of Medina Mayhem!

I didn't find it a problem at all being located here as organising a driver into the Medina and to be picked up again was no problem at all - but was more expensive than local taxi rates - it was more like London taxi rates at 200MD (so about 20 Euros for 20 minutes drive). When I had stayed in the Medina and paid 20DHM for the same sort of journey this definitely came as a bit of a shocker. The riad doesn't have its own Hammam, but then one of the joys of Marrakech is going to either the local one or one of the spa ones available. There's also one I used at the hotel next door which was lovely, and cost 350DHM for 1 hour, so expensive if you've used the local Hammam in the Medina which is only 5DHM for 1 hour. I also had an in-room massage which was definitely the best massage of my entire life and was all the lovelier being in my room - which was just as well as it did cost 600DHM for the hour.

I was spoiled for choice for swimming pools to lie by to read by book - 2 cold pools and one heated one which I could use - I believe there were also others but I never found those. The cold ones were FREEZING but that was OK - I'd go and use the heated one for swimming - and for the whole 3 days I was there I mostly had all 3 pools almost entirely to myself.

I'd really recommend this gorgeous gem of a hotel which is more like a very tasteful, beautiful home where you can totally relax, put your feet up and sink back into a world where you are truly pampered. It's not cheap, and the prices are a shock to the system if you've being paying local rates around Morocco before as I had - but it was worth every penny and was exactly what I had hoped for.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple