“My home in Marrakech! Make it yours too!”
Review of Jnane Tamsna

Jnane Tamsna
Ranked #128 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I write this on the other side of the world, scheming madly to return soonest, so I can wake up with the sun, do my yoga on the rooftop with palm tree views as far as the eye can see, or amidst the fragrant gardens where I go after working up an appetite, to pick the world's tastiest arugula and carrots, both to be found among the rose bushes. Breakfast is a generous affair of fresh fruit, homemade Moroccan treats and French coffee. Admittedly, most days I prefer to lounge by the pool, swimming year round thanks to the heated pools among the hotel's five pools, then taking my lunch in the gardens then lounging some more, perhaps with a book from Meryanne (the owner)'s global selection, and eventually drinks by the warm fire. I have met lovely people from all over the world around this grand fire place. Each and every photogenic room confers the feeling of being an honored houseguest, filled with Meryanne and Gary's extensive antique collection plus HEAVENLY organic bath amenities. I never leave without purchasing a big slab of their amazing soaps. The silence of the Palmeraie makes for incredibly peaceful sleeps, and then its morning again, when a member of the staff appears as I request with a morning cup of tea before I decide where among the acres of gardens I shall practice yoga, or perhaps linger under the smooth and cozy covers just a bit longer. When I do feel like going into Marrakech, for shopping in the medina, or the showrooms and boutiques around Gueliz, I rely exclusively on Meryanne's recommendations and introductions. She's been living and designing in Marrakech for over twenty years, there is no one more in the know. Ask Gary her husband to take you into the organic gardens where you can get your hands dirty among his talented team, then return to dine on the fruits of their labor. I could go on and on, but you should go go go...

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are very convenient if you prefer not to walk far after dark. Every room is...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 September 2012

I am getting ready to return to Marrakech, staying with Meryanne and Gary at Jnane Tamsna again. I love it!

I have been numerous times, as it feels like home, and is a wonderful place to have as a base for lical exploration.

Jnane redefines hospitality, not only with grace, food (incredible!), design, presentation, but they are filled with knowledge with regards to itineraries for shopping, traveling, food, culture.

I can't sing high enough praise for this team, and beautiful compound.
Keep up the great work!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Jnane tamsna has potential to be a wonderful place but unfortunately it was terrible. The rooms are shabby and run down and the service is slow and not friendly. What I was most surprised of was that the place was generally dirty and smelly.

Worst of all the owner, mary-anne, was rude and penny grabbing.

I strongly recommend that you don't go as we had a horrible time

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Joan R
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Great atmosphere.Feels like a private home wih excellent food, style and service. Beautiful and vast gardens.Under the canopy of centuries old trees, we had romantic dinners surrounded by zillions of candles. Have been to many places where design takes over comfort or service but not at Jnane Tamsna.Room was beautiful, lots of prints and attention to details.
Location is also perfect as we did not cope with the noise and pollution of the Medina.A short ride in the morning was enough to have our fix of exotic madness, crowd and markets and then we would return to our piece of heaven. We never stayed in a hotel here in the morning you see the gardeners harvesting the vegetables that will be served.We met lovely other guests, one family was coming back for the 7th time and the other one for the 3rd. We have booked our return.The place is just so cool, non pretentious, friendly and sophisticated at the same time

Room Tip: All are nice If you are coming with friends and all want to be together choose rooms in the same p...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We recently travelled around Morocco. Stayed in the Medina first, then went South and came back and stayed at Jnane Tamsna.The Medina was exotic and charming for the first 24 hours. Then we realised that what we really want on holidays is peace and calm. After exploring the fabulous landscapes of Southern Morocco, we arrived at night in Jnane Tamsna. What looked like pitch dark from the road turned out to be a candlelit oasis which left us speechless. The serene beauty of our arrival for a late dinner was idyllic. We were tired of couscous and tagines, and the food was exquisitely different. The house wine was the best we had in Morocco. Our room opened onto a candlelit veranda and we slept like logs. The following morning, the guest relation took us around the gorgeous gardens, the pools,( there are several), the clay surface tennis court and asked us where we would like to be served our lunch. We ran into a hilarious group of Australians who were there for a cooking class, we followed their garden tour and picked herbs and vegetables with them. The same morning we met the yoga teacher and ended up taking classes every day.There was also a very nice English family with 3 children and there was a magician coming to give them juggling classes. There was just beautiful life happening in each corner of the gardens. We just fell so relax, zen and fulfilled. What struck us there is that there is nothing reminding you of a hotel. No TVs in room, but wifi in all public spaces. You can check your emails by the pool. You can skype to your office in the garden... but be ware of the birdsong covering your voice.! Food kept on being delicious, staff charming and attentive in a non obtrusive way. We had some massages organised in a secluded area in the garden. Our room was very nice. Our laundry was superbly done and pressed ( without any charges).We asked if there was a fitness center and were told with a big smile, you have a few hundreds of acres just outside to run, walk, bike, stretch in the Palmgrove, why would you like to do anything indoor ? There is a jogging track just in front of the gate. Difficult to describe how everything is simple but gorgeous, looks effortless but is incredibly stylish. The sitting room feels like the Moorish version of an English country house, books, prints, antiques, a fireplace..We visited other bedrooms as we have decided to come back with friends and family and they were all great. We are returning for my 50th in 5 months. We can 't wait. A true gem if you are tired of hotels and love the feel of a beautiful private estate hidden among hundreds of date palms.

Room Tip: all garden or large rooms are great.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I am writing this as I am by the pool in Jnane Tamsna. I can only hear the birds. A freshly pressed grapefruit juice in my hand with a drible of vodka... What a place ! The essence of chic and simplicity. Few guests in this August week but very nice ones. The property is less then 20 minutes from the noise and pollution of the old Medina. But it is another world here. The gardens are exceptionnal, no grass, no waste of water. A little note informing us that they have the front cover of a UK book due in spring. The 1st one exclusive to the gardens of Marrakech. No surprise that they have the front cover. I know Morocco well and often come to Marrakech, but I have never seen such gorgeous and old palm trees.
The food is fresh and tasty. Staff friendly and smiling even though they are fasting 18 hours a day : it is Ramadan. My room is gorgeous. My girlfriend is arriving tomorrow and the staff suggested to set a candlelit table on the roof terrace for the 2 of us. Nothing seems too much to make my stay very personal. I arrived with a suitcase of dirty clothes, all my laundry was made and impeccably pressed at no cost. Tables at night have a generous amount of candles, wine is excellent. The cold gaspacho, the food flavors, the lemon tart.. ask for it when you come.. Light, crusty and finished like a creme brulée..
Tennis teacher excellent. Yoga teacher outstanding. And a 5 miles jogging path in front of the door.. It is truly ideal here. If you are not looking for a hotel experience but dreaming of staying in a private estate in the Palmeraie ! Forget the uberdesign hotels, with no soul and staff acting like robots. Here it is a real place, human, natural, chic and very sophisticated. Because it is spread over 9 acres, for 24 hours, they had a big Italian party of 12 adults and their kids who came, I did not hear them. I just used another part of the garden and another pool..Indeed the most relaxing holidays..

Room Tip: I have the Edward room on the 1st floor, full of light and opening onto fantastic vegetation on the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Beautiful simple food and rustic tasteful country retreat.

We came for a day to use the pool and relax away from the madness of Marrakech.

Unfortunately the teaching cook was away so we couldn't do a cooking course. But the chef who was around served up some beautiful fish, a light relief after some very rich food had elsewhere.

A great place. Worth the 20 min drive from the city.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple