“Great location, good value”
Review of Le Gallia

Le Gallia
Ranked #312 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I was very happy with the Hotel Gallia and would stay there again. The location is super - just around the corner from the main square and directly accessible to taxis. The room was inexpensive, but adequate and clean. It was great to have a room with air conditioning after a hot day walking around. The central courtyard with palm tree and vegetation where breakfast was served was nice. I found the hotel personnel helpful and friendly. I made the reservation via email and received answers back promptly. Don't understand the ratings complaining about slow and unfriendly service. Perhaps I had an advantage because I could speak French. Unfortunately payment was only in cash as the credit card machine was out of order all the time.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel for the last night of our trip, in a very comfortable room. It has a roof terrace with pretty views across the city, and it is only a 5 min walk from the Djemma-El-Fna. The staff were very welcoming, and I'd certainly stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Arriving in Marrakesh we went with a woman we met on the train to a new riad that had just opened. A lovely place with a really friendly atmosphere, but the rooms were just too tiny.
We booked a trip to the desert and before leaving looked around for another place to stay, choosing Le Gallia on the recommendation of a fellow traveler. It was considerably more expensive (we are definitely budget travellers), but we looked at and booked a nice, big room on the ground floor.
Came back from the desert and found that we were in a small, dark room upstairs. Our protests were met with indifference that swiftly changed to downright rudeness. "Find another hotel." was his advice. So, after one night, we did finding a cheaper riad with friendly helpful staff.
The room wasn't bad, though it was nothing special. We would have been content there, but for the attitude of the owner. I got the impression that he was getting by on a reputation that he doesn't deserve.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank colliefleur
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I booked this hotel on recommendation and I don't think I have ever felt more welcome. The hotel is beautiful, clean and centrally located (5 mins walk to the square!)

Breakfast was also lovely and relaxed. I only wish I could have stayed longer to properly enjoy this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Foodie84jw
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Often use this place when visiting - have now stayed here 4 or 5 times. The rooms are good, the courtyard lovely, the roof terrace excellent. It has bags of character and helpful staff. Breakfast is plentiful and good quality, the cleaning ladies are very friendly and happy to do laundry for a few extra dirhams. The wi-fi though, was very patchy and unreliable and staff not especially interested in fixing it. However, i have to advise against the hotel 'helping' you with a car rental. We were given a car in terrible condition that had been poorly repaired from a crash. When delivered, it was parked so as to hide this, with the damaged side against a wall. Discovered the damage later, about 2 hours from Marrakech. Got really worried that they were pulling a fast one and trying to get us to pay for damage we didn't cause, but they didn't, after a little arguing. Even so, it soured the trip to the desert and caused unnecessary stress. Lesson: never be rushed when looking at a hire car and inspect ALL SIDES of the car AND WHEELS well before accepting it. Some of these cars have been badly abused and are best avoided. Wheels especially are damaged by driving on piste roads. They tried to make up for this by getting the car-hire company to give us a free trip to the airport but they turned up so late we nearly missed our plane - not helpful.
Nice hotel though, reasonably quiet considering how close to the shops and main square.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Hotel Gallia is a quiet haven from the frantic activity that is Marrakech. The hotel is one of the oldest in Marrakech and has been operating since 1929; a restored mansion, it is situated down a small side street in the medina which runs off the main road; it is easy to find and very accessible by car. There are 19 rooms which open off two internal courtyards or the roof terrace. Rooms are comfortable and clean with ensuites, air-conditioning and heating.

Staff are friendly and helpful; I asked where I could find a good restaurant, serving Moroccan cuisine and wine (not the average everyday menu) and my host went out of his way to accompany me to Dar Najjarine a few streets away. Jemaa el Fna is only a short walk, as are other tourist attractions and numerous other restaurants. Wifi is available in the sitting area and courtyard on the ground floor.

Hotel Gallia is very reasonably priced for Marrakech, breakfast is included. I paid 320 dirhams. I will definitely stay here on return visits to Marrakech. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Ann P
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I stayed at Riad Gallia this September for 4 nights and loved it. The owners and the staff were lovely and nothing was too much trouble, they even offered to take us to their own restaurant and teach us how to cook in 'true Moroccan' style. The riad itself is lovely, it's like a little paradise hidden in a crazy town. The rooftop terrace has sun chairs so great for sunbathing and views over the city. It is built around 2 courtyards decked with flowers and chirping small birds. Avoid the tortoises wadering aimlessly around, . The breakfasts were lovely although lacked variation consisting of butter jams, Danish Pastry, Croissant and French bread with good coffee. This was served in the courtyard although I am sure had we wished we could have had it on the roof terrace. There is also a common room off of the courtyard should the weather be inclement. This is the only spot where you could use the free wireless network. My room was spacious and well appointed, clean and comfortable with air conditioning that worked very well and it was free! The bathroom was the bathroom. Had a bath with a shower over but no bath curtain so the floor did tend to get wet. The location was ideal a 5 min walk to the Square and the souks in one direction and a 10 minute walk to the old palace, the tombs and the Jewish quarter in the other direction the souks are no more than a ten minute walk from the riad. It is situated down a small alley (perfectly safe) which is off of the main pedestrianised road which is full of life. The rooms are large in size and very clean. Overall we would highly recommend this riad to anyone going to Marrakech.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family