“The hotel is falling apart.”
Review of Agdal Hotel

Agdal Hotel
Ranked #430 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We arrived on the 29th of oct' and my first impression of the place was average. We then got taken to our first room and the back door was broken so we couldn't lock it. The hotel manager was helpful and took us to another room which was overlooking a busy road and was extremely noisy. The hotel manager then took us to a third room which was a very weird lay out consequently in the night my friend wacked her head on the corner of the wall and it started bleeding quite badly luckily we had a bandage.
The swimming pool is freezing cold with dead flies all over it, the breakfast isn't that good either there's stale croissants and far too sweet orange juice another thing is you can only us the wi-fi in ths loby.The upsides are that the staff are friendly,the hotels in a good location for up market marrakech and the hotels relatively cheap.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Delicees

Reviewed 26 October 2012

I stayed in the Agdal Hotel at either end of a cycling trip round Morocco.
The first stay left a poor impression of the Hotel. The proximity to the busy road outside means the rooms on the first floor are very noisy and breakfast seemed average. The room was very clean if a little dark and dingy.
After staying in other Moroccan hotels my impression drastically improved.
We stayed on the 3rd floor on our return and the rooms at this height are far quieter. Again the room was clean but dark.
Everywhere else in Morocco, breakfast was bread and honey so the croissants/pastries and omelettes available for breakfast were fabulous.
The pool and surrounding area was clean and well kept.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank naticle
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We have just returned from a week at the hotel and my husband didnt tell me where we were going until we got to the airport so I would not look on trip advisor due to mixed reviews on every single hotel in every place I had looked at. Have to say that after looking at the reviews tonight I would not have stayed here but the experience we had of the hotel and Marrakech in general was great.
We had a warm welcome when we arrived and the concierge and the man on reception could not have been nicer. He told us everywhere to go in very good english and was very helpful about the buses and local shops.
The cleaners were lovely and gave us clean towels and changed and made the bed every day, the air conditioning was on and the room spotless, I left my jewellry out and nothing had ever gone in fact was so pleased gave them both a pair of shoes when I left.
Yes there is building work next door but have to say that didnt bother us as we left the doors closed and air con on so was not a problem,
my husband used the pool once and said was fine, the seating area near by was lovely.
I agree that the breakfast was basic and maybe not to everyones taste but you are not in Britain so you have to accept that, the tea and juice were fine and they cooked the pancakes and omlettes for you so that was a nice touch.
It is about half hour walk to the main square and souks but we enjoyed the walk and you can haggle for taxis of which there are plenty.
Would go back to Marrakech again and loved the hussle and bussle of the place, the 2 day bus trip is worth doing as you can jump on and off and the main square at night is a sight to behold with cheap wonderfu lfood, you can have alcohol in most of the restaurants inside if you wish but a cup of mint tea in a cafe watching the world go by is perfect!!!
All in all would say for the what you pay for this hotel is fine they do hard sell on the trips but you only have to say no and accept this is a country with very different customs to ours, staying in the new town though gives you a good insight into both parts of Marrakech and I would say it is great for a hotel that you are sleeping in and not for a week around the pool.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank joannebug
Reviewed 13 August 2012

we were 2girls traveling. the hotel and rooms were nice, clean.we had a balcony with a view to the pool. the pool was amazing! the staff was absolutely friendly and helpful. they offered many excursions from the hotel. the location was 30min from the centre. it is in the new part of the city and close to bus/train station and shopping area. plenty of restaurants around. the hotel itself has a restaurant.the breakfast was sufficient and tasty. we stayed 6nights and got complimentary dinner.very good price.i would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: we had room number 222, two separate beds , A/C and little balcony
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank nadkaeli
Reviewed 28 July 2012

My wife booked this hotel for our holiday. After reading some of the reviews, I was terrified by the idea of staying at the Agdal.

I was wrong.

A nice hotel, with friendly staff, and reasonably good accommodations. the pool was clean and always with happy people around it and on it. The housekeepers were very professional, always with a good morning and a smile. Breakfast was great, with Moroccan pancakes and omelettes made to order.

The rooms are basic, but, after all, you don't book a hotel to stay in the room.

Fairly close to Jemma elFna, surrounded by restaurants with good food, like the Amalou, Gourmandise, Sandwich Toubkal, Ayour, etc.

5 mins away from a stop for the open top bus tour ( a must do) and only a few mins away from the roof top terrace bar offering amazing views.

We would happily stay at the Agdal again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andre M
Reviewed 8 July 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week in October 2011. The hotel quite a way from Jemaa el Fna but you can get a for around 20-30 dirhams. The hotel is basic, clean and did the job for us. The pool is nice and gets a lot of sun through out the day. We only paid £199 for 7 nights B&B including flights so were more than happy with this hotel. If you're looking for a cheap break and just somewhere to lay your head then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katie W
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I originally booked a hotel in the middle of nowhere but cancelled and opted for the modest Agdal Hotel. I booked without checking the reviews and only checked them just before departure. I was quite horrified once I read them but well it was too late to change anything by that point. I arrived with my partner and our room was not ready, we were told it would be 5 minutes but that must have been 5 Moroccan minutes as 20 minutes later we were still waiting. When eventually we were shown to our room there were no towels and having made the crazy decision to drive from Liverpool to London overnight to fly it was not what we expected to see. I went to reception to ask for towels and was told we would be given them, I asked how long and was told 1 hour 15mins, I said I wanted them straight away and as a result was given some. Unless you make it clear that you want what you want your requests fall on deaf ears. The room was quite small and the decor was horrendous, a painting depicting a dark woman with her back to you heading towards a gloomy door. One plus was the air conditioning, it was really refreshing to come in to a cool environment given the extremely high temperatures. It was also good to know that you could leave the air con on whilst out of your room and return to a cool room, well as long as there had been no power cuts, there were a few of these. The staff didn't speak much English and didn't really make the effort to either, the friendliest was the lady who works in the restaurant, as we were half board she allowed us to take our evening meal at lunch time if we wanted and understood most of what was said. I have been on many holidays and would return to most places/hotels but this hotel is not one of them. The lack of effort by most staff and the attitudes displayed put me off and mean that I will not be returning to this hotel in the future and would suggest if you can find a hotel priced in the same region then pick the other hotel, especially if you want to be anywhere near the Medina or Jamaa El Fna. We had to take the bus which was well priced but not the most comfortable in 49 degrees celcius temperatures

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple