“Not for the faint hearted (or vegetarians!)”
Review of Mechoui Alley

Mechoui Alley
Ranked #151 of 875 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Moroccan
Description: Top Choice in Lonely Planet for the medina in MarrakechThere are several restaurants that serve slices/pieces of roasted lamb. I went at lunchtime and ordered 1/4 kilo plus bread, olives and a bottle of water for a total of 50 Dh. All the mechoui places have the meat and cooking out in front; I chose the one with the blue tile interior where I sat and ate my meal. Nothing fancy but really delicious! All the other diners were locals which is a good sign in my opinion.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Not for the faint hearted (or vegetarians!)”
Reviewed 7 February 2013

My boyfriend loved this but it just roast lamb (a whole lamb) on the side in the street, you buy the meat by weight, you need to haggle! The meat is fatty but nice! It is covered in cumin and served with bread. Was a 'experience' worth a try if your a 'meat eater'

Visited February 2013

Dorking, United Kingdom
“As authentic as it gets”
Reviewed 9 January 2013

A bunch of food stalls at the southern end of the souks, just north of Djemaa-el-Fnaa, serving slow-cooked lamb cooked in clay pots in hamaam (bath house) fires. It's really basic and almost exclusively frequented by Moroccan families who eat with their hands and wipe up the meat juices with relish (the figurative, not the real) kind. Very enjoyable though and quite welcoming..just a few quizzical glances from locals surprised that you want to eat this very local food. I didn't try the more 'adventurous' sheeps heads etc.. Cheap, very filling and let's be honest, fatty. Lie down afterwards.

Visited April 2012
Marietta, GA
“Went here after seeing it on Anthony Bourdain's show”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I got brave and went here to eat after seeing it on Anthony Bourdain's show. He said to pick out the lamb you wanted and select it. We weren't given that option, not that I would know how to pick it out anyway! That was all there was except bread. I had expected olives too. It was tasty. It was nice that they had a sink in the seating area so you could wash your hands afterwards.

• Visited October 2012
Beverley, United Kingdom
“Slow Roasted Lamb”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Mechoui Alley was recommended by our Riad so we went along to sample the delights of slow cooked Lamb (4-5 hours).

No frills service and great lamb is what we got.

Don't expect cutlery, Do expect to be eating with the locals, don't expect extras like vegetables, do expect great tasting lamb and nothing else.

Served on Plastic trays with greas proof paper and no cutlery and no condiments apart from a small bowl of cumin on the table.

Only open for lunch and we paid 170 Dirahams for a 2 person portion of lamb and a large bottle of water - probably about £12.

Great experience.