“Great Experience”
Review of Mechoui Alley

Mechoui Alley
Ranked #73 of 966 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Moroccan
Description: Top Choice in Lonely Planet for the medina in MarrakechThere are several restaurants that serve slices/pieces of roasted lamb. I went at lunchtime and ordered 1/4 kilo plus bread, olives and a bottle of water for a total of 50 Dh. All the mechoui places have the meat and cooking out in front; I chose the one with the blue tile interior where I sat and ate my meal. Nothing fancy but really delicious! All the other diners were locals which is a good sign in my opinion.
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Sought this place out on the back of reviews here and was not disappointed. Dining like the locals at it's best - the guys working the counter and scales were very friendly and it's a world away from the tourist trap places. My girlfriend and I were seated in a booth next to a Moroccan family enjoying a cleaved sheeps head - of which they enthusiastically offered us a sample. The meat, all around, was amazing - fatty no doubt but oh so tender, juicy and tasty (especially with a dash of the cumin salt). Highly recommended authentic experience!

1  Thank Jason W

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Excellent juicy lamb portions at a seemingly unlikely place. Throw your inhibitions to the winds and sample the lamb here! You won't regret it. Highly recommended for all true foodies!!

1  Thank MaitreyKulkarni
Reviewed 28 February 2014

You have to kind of take a leap of faith in order to eat here. It doesn't look all that clean. But when we saw a lamb come fresh out of the oven, we just went for it. We just told them we wanted a portion for 2. It was just right. they also gave us quite some fat, probably for the weight.
The fatty bits are the best. It is not seasoned, but served with a mixture of salt and cumin.
Though I enjoyed it, I was quite jealous at what the people next to me were served, which I assumed was the tangia.
Definitely worth seeking this place out!

1  Thank MP83
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Mechoui (or Lamb) Alley is a must stop for any real foodie traveling to Marrakech. Just around the corner from the horde of stalls and up an alley opposite the Cafe de France, this is a culinary street-food super-treat. Its lamb ordered by the kilo ('nuss' for half kg), served up on wax paper with plenty of bread and a side of cumin-flavored salt. We were lucky and the wait staff dipped some of our bread into the urns capturing the lamb dripping in the clay ovens below the floor. Greasy, fatty and delicious. The lamb itself was lean, roasted to perfection, falling off the bone and included crispy skin too. But you point and pick the parts of the lamb you want. Try to get there between 12-1pm to guarantee the best cuts. The are several booths here but aim for the first 2 at the top of the alley just opposite the one making the soup. Enjoy!

2  Thank truerode
Reviewed 9 January 2014

As a street food, this alley it is definitely better than the tourist trap that every evening populate the center of Jemaa el Fna and offer most often poor food. Theu prepare at lunchtime only (tale care) the mechoui, that is to say big pieces of lamp roasted for hours in an underground cavern used as a hoven with live charcoal. You can eat there or takeaway, very cheap, basic but also tasty and supertender. A genuin rustic gastronomic experience. Unfortunately no wine is served nor admitted, it would be the better combination

3  Thank skardanelli