“Oasis in name only!”
Review of Kenzi Club Oasis

Kenzi Club Oasis
Ranked #473 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 6 December 2010

My wife and I arrived on 30th November for a 4 night break. Arriving at the hotel at 2 a.m, it was in complete darkness with a perilous trip (almost literally!) to the room following a guy who didn't seem to know where he was going! The room was shabby with poor lighting and everything was really in need of an overhall - this was not what we would regard as 4 star standard rooms - perhaps 2. Breakfast in the morning was very limited with rolls, croissants, cereal and a small selection of fruit. Only hot food was eggs although these were cooked to order. The grounds were nicely kept it has to be said.

The shuttle bus into town was an absolute necessity although at the time we visited, we didn't feel the service was frequent enough with a 9.30 a.m. bus and not another until 2 p.m. As previous reviewers have commented, beware the "guides" as you get off the bus. They are there to take you to the shops owned by their friends in the souks as they then receive commission on any sales made. We did get caught with this on the first day and the "guide" was very agressive when we refused to go into the shop he took us to. Not a pleasant experience. On return to the hotel at around 8 p.m., it was so dark and the hotel had insufficient lighting which made it dangerous especially around the many steps. My wife actually fell twice and was lucky not to have seriously injured herself. Lots of other guests also commented on this aspect. The staff in the hotel were not unpleasant but I agree that it helps to try and speak some of their language - not too much to ask.

All in all, you do get what you pay for however, we won't be returning.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IainFiona
There are newer reviews for Kenzi Club Oasis

Reviewed 26 November 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 4 days to celebrate my birthday. My only advice to any English travellers is not to stay here under any circumstances.

Firstly, it is NOT a 4 star hotel. The grounds on arrival are very pretty and the pool looks reasonably clean and well kept. Any further than that, dont look. For a start it is quite far away from the centre of Marrakesh. The taxi from the airport was 250DS £25 (after haggling). There is absolutely nothing around the hotel. Its barren wasteland so you have to either fork out on cabs to and from the hotel or wait for a "very hold" shuttle bus which only runs about 3 or 4 times a day.

The hotel staff have absolutely no interest in the English at all. We found the staff in the restaurant exceptionally rude. At one point they even came up to us asking us if we had had lunch (we were half board). They then told us (mid meal) that we were not entitled to lunch out loud and in front of all the other diners. - At this point we left our meals, walked away from the table and never returned. My husband complained to the front desk but nothing was done.

As for the rooms they are old and falling apart. Our lighting didnt work very well. The ceilings were cracked and the plaster falling off. We did have clean towells and the soap/toilet roll replaced but the floors were dirty and the ash tray still full of ash on arrival.

I could go on but someone else has probably pointed it out and its all true what they say.

Basically - if you are English - DONT GO !

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2010

The hotel was stuck in a time warp and cleanliness passable, Non heated pool, Entertainment catered towards the French so hard to intermix with other guests, All the British holiday makers (10 off) including me and the wife fell down with dysentery!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michaeljaimcardle
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Hmmm. First impressions count I think!
I (23) went with me parents for a week at the Kenzi oasis. We wanted relaxing and quiet which is what we got!
The hotel is a little rough around the edges, but for what you pay its fine.
Rooms were cleaned everyday and extra toilet rolls given.
The bar was open from 9/10am and closed prompt at 11pm every night. There was tea and coffee available throughout the day, but NO facilities in the room.
After checking in we were shown to our rooms, which we requested together, and being a travel agent myself I understand these are not guaranteed requests!
We were taken to our room over the walkway from each other. My room was meant to be a single room and I have 3beds lined up against the wall with no gaps, no window and reminded me of a prison cell, parents rooms was the same.
For my mum and dad if the used the middle bed they could not get on an off without crawling off the end which as can imagine is not practical for a week.
We returned back to reception and requested to be moved, the manager seem shocked that we were not happy and said that all rooms were to the same standard. (but was referring to the TV, air con and bathroom facilities)
Eventually we were moved but even further apart but rooms much better, more like they looked on the website!!
1 room with a double bed and balcony and the other small window and 2 twins pushed together with leaky air con that the maid kept turning off!
I didn't get a safe, which I usually do but I left things out and they stayed there no problem!
The hotel is predominately FRENCH, the animation teams, staff etc. They will try and speak to you but generally don't bother, sometime a little effort to speak there language does go a long way!
Food was OK, breakfast was first thing generally the same every morning and about half 10 they would move this outside covered up.
They did snacks about 3/4pm which was generally pastries/pancakes.
Dinner was gorgeous bread baked outside, it was to die for!! Inside was the tureens and different salads etc.
Tea again was tureens, pizza and salads, which mainly ran on themed nights.
There was a gym in the hotel but again was in need of some TLC and was mainly weights!
The hotel to include a bus (workers bus) that ran a few times through the day into Marrakesh, I will warn you that if you are planning on getting this bus, be prepared for the walk form where they drop you off to the main square.
This first time we were dropped off in 44 degree heat and we hounded of the bus form men saying they were tour guides from hotel and do not want paying as its part of the hotel Kenzi they're there!... but guess what they do, we could not shake this guy off and after being rushed round the square and the soukes, he badgered my dad for payment for his time!
We decided to get a hammerman (traditional spa treatment) to removed dead skin etc and massage we had this in the hotel, which yes you pay more for but was a little bit more dignified than getting it in one of the soukes with the locals, well worth in and tanned better!!!!
I would say that it maybe better to get a taxi in from the hotel which you pay per person, (not per car like we do here)and get the bus back! no hassle that way.

I have to say I'm not usually one to be negative but it needs to be said! It is rough around the edges and I probably wouldn't rush back to Marrakesh, but enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank steppy72
Reviewed 21 October 2010

After reading reviews on your website regarding this hotel, I had a sense of dread regarding this hotel, but having now stayed there, I wonder if the people who wrote some of the reviews stayed in the same hotel!

We arrived when it was dark, so it was only the next morning that we could get a sense of the place. We were pleasantly surprised. The grounds are stunning, and offer the opportunity to either lie in the sun, or hideaway in one of the corners for total peace and quiet.

Yes, the hotel is in the middle of nowhere (Perhaps the Oasis in the title should give people a clue). but there is a shuttle bus to take you into the town if you wish (This is a free service).

Yes, all the entertainment is in french but is is a french speaking country. I think if you can even converse in very basic french the staff appreciate it, and they were great sports always attempting to get you involved in the activiites, but leaving you alone if that was your wish.

The rooms are basic but clean and if you want, you can have clean towels every day.

All inclusive is to my mind a no brainer considering the position of the hotel. The food was plentiful, and as is usual with buffet food, it can become cold.However there are microwave ovens dotted about the restaurant where you can heat the food up if you wish.
All the vegetables dishes are fantastic, and they vary the menu every day.

There is a wide choice at breakfast and lunch as well, with free white, rose and red wine in the restaurant, whilst you could get local spirits cocktails and beers by the pool.

If you want towels for the pool you have to pay a 10 eurov deposit which is returned to you at the end of your stay.

All in all we had a fantstic time, and would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GlasgowHenrymar
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Oasis as its name suggests means it is out in the middle of nowhere, down a track 30 mins from Marrakech, to where a regular free shuttle bus is run, used it to see the capital which is not special at all and again to get part way to the airport on our last day.
3 star rooms but hey you make do, good aircon thank goodness and water okay.
4 star staff at least with the french who they accomodate for and ignore the English, even so far as the lad running the tours wouldnt try to converse with us.
5 star food, not really in quality but definately in quatity as you could just go in and help yourself all day long with no problems. No wine in the bar, no white at all but rose and red available in jugs in the restaurante and if it ran out just ask the staff and they bring you a large bottle/jug! Gardens really nice and plenty of sunbeds there and round the pool and on a terrace, like an old football ground, to catch the last evening rays.
7 days was plenty as the food was a bit samey and with the city being a big let down there is nothing to do but chill out and relax, great if that is what you seek, no frills

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank oldham33
Reviewed 18 September 2010

Right ok, apon arriving at the kenzi first impressions were good. Lovely grounds and nice marble resception. when we got to our room the standerds dropped. the rugg was dirty and the fixtures and fittings were a bit shabby. you dont spend a lot of time in your room on holiday so it is not a big deal, but it is the litgtle things you noitice. The rooms dont have fridges so trying to chill our bottle if champange was problimatic. The pool its self is smaller than in the photos but there is plenty of room for all. the entertainment is aimed at the french but that isnt a big deal really, You dont go to an ex french ran country expecting brittish entertainment. the food on a whole was good if not a bit samey, we met good people and enjoyed our selfs. i would recommend you to chat to people nad wouldnt recommend going if you are a fussyb eater. on a whole we survived the kesh.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple