“a trip back into old times”

Medina of Marrakesh
Ranked #10 of 163 things to do in Marrakech
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Sao Paulo, SP
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“a trip back into old times”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

it seems like you are travelling back in the old times...! I just didn't give it max score because I still think that Fez medina is much more charming and people were nicer over there. People here tried to explore us to much, which was overwhelming after one day we wanted to get away just because of that...

Visited December 2011

• Turkish first
Greenville, South Carolina
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Such an enchanting adventure!”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Before I traveled to Morocco, a lot of nay-sayers thought I would have a tough time as an American and a woman. Fortunately for me, they were dead wrong. The medina in Marrakech is a cultural treasure and was the highlight of my entire trip to Morocco. The medina is dirty, convoluted, crowded, and utterly delightful. I found Moroccans to be some of the friendliest people I have ever met. None of the hustlers were pushy to the point of worry or even annoyance. As in any foreign country, be vigilant of your surroundings and use common sense. Be smart, but don't be overly suspicious. Otherwise, what is the point of traveling? Other guests at our riad despised the locals and the bustle and grit of the medina. How sad for them. Go shopping! Talk to the shopkeepers! Bargaining was a very entertaining experience, and not one shopkeeper seemed upset or angry if I lowballed them. In fact, they all took a gleeful pleasure in crossing out their original offers and haggling on price until an agreement was reached with a handshake (and if you are lucky, some hot mint tea). Ask to learn a couple of words in Arabic, and don't be afraid to make friends. You might be very surprised how far it takes you!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Beth S
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“When in Rome......”
Reviewed 1 August 2012 via mobile

Granted the first night we went to the medina we were a little out of our depth getting grabbed and so forth around the food stalls which I just took as part of the experience ....

However my girlfriend decided to dress appropriately covering her head etc and we were not bothered at all for the rest of our holiday.

We had done a little bit of research about people giving directions etc and charging money for it which we just always ignored. If you walk with a bit of purpose and don't worry too much about feeling rude by just walking away and not engaging too much in unwanted conversation then you will find the experience fantastic in the medina. I think British people (of which I am one) find it difficult to interact this way.

Pick your food stalls from a distance, be polite when looking at goods and just smile and walk away if the price is ridiculous and the prices will drop 50% instantly. ( the same goes for the taxis)

If you want a shopping experience minus the "hassle" as most people call it then go to Essaouira as you don't get bothered the same way at all.

I also found greeting locals with 'salaam alikum' was MASSIVELY beneficial, you seem to get much more respect. When we started trying to engage people this way we never got ripped off for anything. (taxi journeys that started costing 50dh ended up costing 20)

Enjoy it!!!!!!

1 Thank ajrb202
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
108 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 164 helpful votes
“Don't ever miss this in your life !”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The medina of Marrakech should be high on your bucket list ! An unbeatable experience with lots of fun, haggling, millions of products, people from everywhere and culture.
Just plunge in and enjoy. Have diner on the Jemaa el Fna, after 16:00.

Visited May 2012
Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Interesting place to visit”
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Has narrow streets and very confusing. One could get very easily lost. People speak very little English but after a couple of hours one gets used to the place. If you do not have much time then hire a guide.

Visited July 2012