“A Calm and Relaxing Place” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Riad Magellan
Ranked #106 of 1,176 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Kerry, Ireland
“A Calm and Relaxing Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed at Riad Magellan for four nights. The location is excellent as it is within a short walk of the main square and is close to most visitor attractions in the medina. The airport pick up arranged via the Riad was excellent, culminating in a short walk through the alleys of the medina as night was falling - very atmospheric. Had dinner in the Riad on the night of arrival and the food was good and reasonably priced. I stayed in the Blue Room which opens directly from the central courtyard, and slept very well each night. The room does not have air conditioning (I think all other rooms have) but a fan was provided immediately and proved more than sufficient. The room is small but the decor is very interesting. A few small touches would make it even nicer, such as a better shower curtain, but I was very happy with the room. The staff, particularly Mr Mohammed and the ladies servicing the rooms and serving breakfast are very welcoming and helpful.

I wish the Moroccan Tourist Board would do something about the far too aggressive vendors in the main square and in the souks, as well as the 'tourist guides' on every corner. Having lived, worked and travelled for many years in developing countries, I'm not seeking a sanitised experience. However, the level of aggression and harrassment leaves a negative impression. Thankfully, the Riad Magellan provided a welcome respite from this.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed in both green and red room. Both wonderful. The rooms are very nicely decorated. full of taste. The red room has THE MOST beautiful bath I have ever seen in a hotel. I wish I could have one at home. Anyway, the best thing is the location is great. Right in the middle of the old town. 1 min walk to the busy souk and 3 mins to the main square. But yet it is in such a quiet location. You don't hear noise from outside at all in the courtyard. Amazing! Phillipe the owner is a very nice guy who gave us many helps to arrange the room and even brought us to pharmacy when we needed, I will not hesitate a second to recommande it to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs green room is quieter. But the downstair red room has the amazing bath (trust me, it...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Riad Magellan for 4 nights and could not have been happier with our choice. The space was lovely - the decor - very tasteful, lots of stylish antiques, coupled with the quiet that came from this Riad being tucked away - made this feel like a true respite from the busy streets of Marrakech. The staff were incredibly kind and helpful. They went out of their way to make our stay comfortable - when my husband was sick with food poisoning, Philippe accompanied me to the pharmacy and allowed us to extend our checkout time so he could sleep in the room.

I especially loved the breakfast in the morning - sitting in the quiet with the birds chirping and drinking some delicious strong coffee coupled with homemade yogurt (amazing!) and the Moroccan equivalent of crepes was such a nice way to begin the day. We also chose to do dinner in the Riad one evening. The food was outstanding and the ambiance perfect - it felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. I can't wait to come back and visit again!

Room Tip: We thought the green room was perfect!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed at Riad Magellan for six nights at the beginning of May. I had booked this riad based on the recommendation of a friend. We were absolutely delighted with all aspects of Riad Magellan. Our flight from Paris arrived three hours late and we sat down to a sumptuous, delicious dinner at 11 pm our first evening. Service was exceptional. Staff made reservations for us at restaurants, for tours, and even walked us to restaurants through the maze of the medina. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The owner, Philippe, went the extra mile for us. My husband had an issue at work that required a phone call to Canada and Philippe generously offered the use of his phone at no charge. We would not hesitate to recommend Riad Magellan to friends and would definitely stay there on our next trip to Marrakech.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Not only is this riad beautiful and comfortable but, Phillipe and his staff could not have been more hospitable and willing to help with our every need and answer every question.

As with most of the riads we stayed in during our trip it is best to set up to be met upon arrival in Marrakevh and escorted to the riad. We did a few practice excursions in daylight so that we felt comfortable at night. The derbs (medina roads) are extremely well lit at night. Once you figure out the narrow windy derbs, you realize and appreciate what a fantastic location this riad is located in, within the medina.

All of the recommendations we received from the Riad Magellen were great. We would defiantly recommend allowing the staff to book you at the bian bleu for a hammam.

We definitely would recommend the Riad Magellan and hope to return someday.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I spent 3 nights at Magellan last week for a wedding. Phillipe, the owner, was an absolute life saver helping with orientating me in the maze of the medina and recommending some great places to go (Le Jardin and Dar Cherifa, the latter just round the corner as well as the Bain Blue Spa which is also a stone's throw away). He was also very helpful with sorting out the transfers. The Riad, is very peaceful, comfortable and clean. It has a very relaxed feel and if I were returning to Marrakesh I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the plum room, huge comfortable room and bed and a charming place to unwind after the a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

My daughter and I stayed at Riad Magellan for two nights and loved the whole experience. It really was an oasis of calm not far from the main action in Marrakech. We loved the decor of our room (plum) and all the soft furnishings in the Riad. The breakfast was copious and set us up for the day. Mohammed served us a wonderful meal in the Riad one evening, with a beautifully laid table. We enjoyed the sun terrace in the afternoon, after having been up and about early in the morning. It was so pleasant to stay somewhere that was original and that did not have a TV! Philippe was extremely helpful and gave us good advice about the best places to go. My daughter and I are very keen to return to Morocco.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family