“Calm, beautiful and relaxing”
Review of Dar 73

Dar 73
Ranked #122 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 26 March 2014

My boyfriend and I had never been to Marrakech and were looking for a calm, homely place to stay. We were not disappointed. Amine and all the other staff were so kind to us and very helpful with our many questions and requests. We felt safe staying there and it was a wonderful place to get back to after a busy day out.

The rooms are furnished to a high, design spec and are cosy at the same time.
Our best dinner was actually at Dar 73 - it was delicious and it was like we were private dining.
We also had a couples hammam and that was a treat!

If I had to list 1 negative it would be the breakfast. It was nice on day 1 but became repetitive/basic beyond that as it was very simple and we would always end up getting more breakfast mid-morning.

However, that did not hinder our stay. Apologies to Dar 73 for the delay in writing a review.
Amine… we wanted to thank you so much for your kindness, patience and customer service. You are a real credit to Dar 73 …amazing guy! :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vishindy
There are newer reviews for Dar 73

Reviewed 17 March 2014

stayed march 2014
had 2 rooms iguenounae and tazzarart they both are stylish and fresh looking. however bathroom has no door or curtain, which is very silly and uncomfortable even if you are with a partner or family member doesnt mean you dont want your privacy in the showers that take years to get warn/hot. breakfast small but refereshing doesn't really full you up. friutsalad, milk, organge juice, bread, small crepe, and plain Yougurt. the rooms are on the small side but due to decor I preferred it other other riad or dars. glass door with curtain to gain privacy. but still makes lacks privacy . location area okay, how to get to door by narrow alley way with motorbikes and at night intimidating. if group of females less than 4 dont reccomend coming in after dark sky.. I understand when the other reviews talked funny smells but not that annoying coming from worse smells outside the entrance. .overall average stay and service with nice decor. lacks privacy if English speaking not ideal for you. pay in cash or 4% fee. experience not as nice as I expected. and I was out most hours but yes be careful in the area of cars and bikes etc. Not ideal for young children.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Ummibz1
isabelle U, Propriétaire at Dar 73, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

madam,

We are sorry that you have not enjoyed our riad.

We wanted to remind you that you have stayed at 7 people in 2 bedrooms, the tazzarart ( 4 people : 2 adults and 2 children ) and the iguénouane room ( 1 adult and 2 children ).

We kindly not count extras : people and extra breakfast for all the children .

Unfortunately, our kindness was rewarded by some wickedness on your part.

The world is like this and we can 't please everyone.

For your information, we love our wide open showers and our house !!!

isabelle

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Calm, beauty, and care. The staff takes very good care of you, and the Riad is a welcome calm to days that can be full and chaotic. We loved the interior design, found the shop (Lup31) that designed the interior near the Grand Taxis, and bought many fine objects. The kitchen is particularly good, and I recommend nice evenings and dinners in. I definitely recommend staying at the riad. Near historical sites, a lively neighborhood but no sign of that once inside the riad. Very well located, and a good price. Fresh flowers every day, great service, wonderful calm. Thanks Amin and staff for a great stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sephuzzy
Reviewed 19 February 2014

First, the location of the riad is in a very sketchy area, specially at night. If you plan to come back after dark, make sure you do so with a group of people.
The place is clean, however, room 2 had that "bathroom " smell that other reviewers described on room 6. When I brought it up to the guy in charge, I think his name is Amine, he got all flustered and nasty and said, you are in the Medina, its common here. I said, but my friends that are in a different room dont have the same problem....
The breakfast was just average, good bread, a little cup of fruit salad, coffee and or tea.
I have to say that the guys that were there at night were super nice. However, except for Amine, NOBODY spoke English, and even Amine did it with a lot of difficulty.
The rooms are clean but really small. I am 115lbs and didnt have room on the sides on the bed to walk around.
But the main problem came when we had to pay the bill, they added 4% to the credit card bill, unless you paid cash. We brought it up with booking, cause at the time we booked it was not advertised there ( now it is) and they called the owner in France, but she refused to honor the bill.
I also discovered that a 50 dollar bill was stolen from my wallet the very last day, they wanted to call the police but it wasnt worth it for me to miss my flight over that amount of money, and for something that is so difficult to prove.
Overall, I would not go back to Dar 73. It's hard to communicate with the staff, the rooms are small, the breakfast is average at best and the owner can't honor a 4% extra on the bill. And let not forget the awful smell on the room. I yet have to send all my clothes to the dry cleaners.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank largentina815
isabelle U, Propriétaire at Dar 73, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Madam,
You have stayed at Dar 73 and occupied the room Tizi N'Taaddate.
This room has never experienced odor problems unlike another room and for which the problem has been solved.
Everything you said in your comment is entirely false.
A little reminder :
you told my staff that your mobile phone was stolen an ten minutes after , you was with it.
you told to my staff that your purse was not in your room and it was.

You were informed on arrival at the riad, that the payment of your stay can be made in cash ( dirhams, euros ) or by credit card with an additional 4 % bank charges.

This information is also displayed in a frame, visible to all.

You accuse my staff speak broken english or only speak french.
Who do you think you are !
You've accuse flight while my team is honest.
We actually would bring the police to these unwarranted accusations.

Team of Dar 73 give and will give the maximum to get our clients with professionalism.

PS : the only truth in your comment is that i really wanted that you pay the 4% fees as it was your choice of settlement.
I suspected that you would not hesitate to post a poor comment equally poor you.
Advice, you should check out !!!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I found Dar 73 from reading an article in Conde Nast Traveller. Though rated #40 on TripAdvisor I think it should be much higher. The Dar (which means home or house, like a Riad, but just smaller) is located in the Mellah, the old Jewish quarter of old Marrakech. It's a perfect location to walk around the city, far enough from the main square so you don't get the traffic, but an easy walk everywhere. Amine and the staff are absolutely terrific and welcoming - they want you to feel like this is your home, and it certainly was for 5 days. We met some great people, the food was wonderful (breakfast included for free, dinner is optional - we had dinner there our first night and it was delicious). The rooms are beautifully decorated and have spa-like showers (roses every morning in your room). We were there in January so it was a bit chilly for the roof terrace, but I imagine in the warmer climate it is the most amazing place to relax and read a book. All this for a very reasonable rate per night - I highly recommend staying here.....

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Overall, I will say that I did think Dar73 was nice place to stay. The riad is comfortable and has some nice finishing touches. The hosts were kind and the breakfast each morning was pleasant.

However, you should know that it's tucked away off a small street in the Mellah (old Jewish quarter), which is a less tourist friendly area of the Medina. I didn't feel comfortable walking back after dark, and there were often dodgy characters lurking around the entrance to the riad, as well as on the path to the Palais Badia.

My main complaint was really the smell of my room. It's hard to describe, but it was rather unpleasant. All of my clothes smelled and even after washing them, the stench still lingers. I'm uncertain if it was just my room (#6), but this is the main reason why I can't give the riad a higher score.

Room Tip: Don't go into Room #6, it has a funny odor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Global_Voyager1000
isabelle U, Propriétaire at Dar 73, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear customers,

We solved the problem exessivement annoying odors of this lovely room.
Hoping to welcome you very soon.
isabelle

Reviewed 10 December 2013

From the moment we stepped through the door we were made to feel very welcome and at home without our personal space being invaded. Amen was a huge help throughout our trip from booking restaurants, helping us choose the best places to visit based on our needs and tastes and even arranging for a beautiful bouquet of birthday flowers to be in our room when we arrived! This is on top of the fresh roses in our room anyway. The rooms are petite but more than adequate unless you wish to swing a cat which we didn't! There is plenty of storage and room to put suitcases etc in cupboards. Huge shower and loo. Very tastefully decorated, not as Moroccan as previous riads we have stayed in but we liked this, not as chinnsy as some! Quite modern & beautiful! Breakfast was lovely, fresh coffee, breads an jams with fruit and yoghurt. Pancakes & omelette on 2 of the 3 days. All in all a wonderful stay and we would definatly stay again in a flash! Thank you to all at Dar 73! N & N

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple