I stayed in this with a group of 11 friends so we fully occupied the whole Riad for 3-4 nights.
Overall I would definitely recommend this for a similar sized group looking for excellent value accommodation in a brilliant location.
Located 10 mins walk from the main square in beautiful and fascinating maze within the Kasbah Quarter this is a very modern Riad decorated in a very chic, contemporary style. It is very stylish, the rooms were very comfortable and well equipped.
The best bit is the enormous roof terrace with lovely sun loungers and the jacuzzi in the corner. Sitting up there and listening to the beautiful sounds of the city is a magical experience.
Salah could not have been more helpful or kind; he is a great pastry chef and every day we had delicious cakes and treats prepared for us, including a magnificent birthday cake for us to celebrate our friend's birthday. Salah was very attentive and seemed to work 24 hours a day to ensure we always had taxis, local information and making us comfortable. Salah was very welcoming and did everything possible to make our stay enjoyable.
Karima brought us breakfasts every morning and we understand was very helpful to one of our french-speaking guests, taking her on a day's tour through the souks and gardens of the city, and her son was a very helpful guide for an evening for one person, which was lovely of them.
The location was amazing - about 10 minutes walk from all the main places we wanted to get to and a short taxi hop otherwise. It is very, very handy for exploring all the best bits of the city.
The price was good value, especially considering it included the service of Salah and Karima.
The four stars are for the value which is great but there are elements that could be improved. I don't think the Riad has been running for very long so it's early days for them, so to get 5 stars at this price range I'd recommend the following improvements:
1. Having Riad address details printed in French and Arabic would be helpful, together with a little map, to help guests explain to taxi drivers where to go.
2. Welcome Pack for guests in each room - including a map - would be helpful.
3. Karima didn't seem to be so helpful to non-french speaking guests, we had to rely very heavily on the three fluent french speaking guests in our group; overall we felt she could have been more welcoming. One family had a toddler with them - Karima was upset when the toddler was in the jacuzzi for some reason. She ordered taxis for us reluctantly. I'm sure it was just a language barrier issue, but is something that needs to be kept an eye on.
4. We got up at 7.30am on our day of departure and found ourselves locked into the Riad, we couldn't get out - Karima arrived at just gone 8.30am and let us out. I'm not sure what the fire exit rules are but this was a little worrying.
5. When we asked Karima at 8.30am to book a taxi for 10am for our airport transfer she seemed annoyed and said that she'd asked everyone about this the day before - she had not asked us. We left instructions for this but when it came time to depart at 10am there was no sign of a taxi and Karima kept on telling us to wait, she was busy serving breakfast. Eventually our taxi turned up 35 minutes late, making our departure more stressful than it should have been.
6. We were not allowed to pay by credit card on departure, it's cash only, we had to spend an hour and a half finding 7 cash machines which were not working and finally found cash on the 8th attempt. As there is a 2000D a day limit you really need to be prepared in advance to be able to depart easily.
7. This is not the right Riad for you if you want a more traditional experience, the interior design is starkly contemporary.
8. It doens't really have much of view from the roof terrace as you are surrounded by other rooftops, but you can just about see the mountains between the buildings in the distance, but claims of 'mountain views' is a bit of an over statement in their advertising.
9. The Riad organisers could make all of this a bit easier by asking the guests questions on their day of arrival about their departure details so that they can be proactive about helping the guests make their departure as easy as possible.
10. Being able to get simple comforts like a hot cup of tea when it wasn't breakfast time seemed to be overly difficult.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only 3 hours from Paris, relax and find the sun, summer and winter, in our luxurious and authentic Riad Marrakech 117 located in a quiet area of the medina of Marrakech, 10 minutes walk from the famous Jemaa El Fna and close to major attractions and shops of Marrakech. Its easy access to taxis can drop you off 20 meters from the entrance of the Riad Marrakech 117. NEW: The 5-seater jacuzzi. Enjoy the intimate atmosphere that offers a breathtaking view of the atlas and the city of Marrakech! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Riad Kasbah 117 Marrakech reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.