“3 night stay at the Taj Palace”

Sahara Palace Marrakech
Ranked #274 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We've just returned back from a 3 night stay at The Taj Palace, Marrakech.
Unfortunately, our transfer from the airport to the hotel, as arranged by the travel agent we booked through, did not arrive and we had to take a taxi. When we arrived at the hotel (an hour and a half later than expected) we were welcomed very graciously even though we turned up in what can only be described as a "beirut" taxi. Not the ideal start but in an obscure sort of way added to the experience and was rather interesting. Needless to say, we explained immediately what had happened and the hotel could not have been more apologetic that the beginning of our stay in Marrakech had started that way and they would get in touch with the travel agency themselves to report the problem.

We were then duly shown our room which I can describe as large, ornate and above all fabulous. What you see on the website photos is exactly what you get.
All the staff at the hotel were more than happy to help and please. Reception? Spot on. Housekeeping? Spot on. Concierge? Spot on. Restaurant waiters/waitresses? Spot on.

We ate at the hotel for all three nights and were not disappointed at any time. I was a little apprehensive that previous reviewers had reported a lack of atmosphere in the restaurants. On our visit that certainly wasn't the case. It wasn't crowded but neither was it dead. It is rather expensive but there is always the option of dining out cheaper and getting a taxi back.

On checking out, the reception had previously made sure our transfer was scheduled to arrive as arranged and indeed it did.
All in all, a wonderful hotel whose staff could not help you more.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YoungBlue
TajPalaceMarrakech, Guest Relations Manager at Sahara Palace Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Young Blue,

Thank you for sharing your lovely feedback about your stay with us at Taj Palace Marrakech.

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed the room, property, restaurants and services, and I will be sure to pass along your comments to our respective teams.Your anecdote about your arrival at the start of your review made me smile, and I am pleased to hear that it added to your experience in Morocco.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you plan to return to Morocco and the Taj... we will be sure to have a car ready and waiting for you at the airport!

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed at a few hotels during our stay in Marrakech and decided to stay at the Taj our last night to just relax and enjoy the view. I'm glad we did because the views were breathtaking! The rooms were spectacular! They were very spacious and just cozy! The restaurants were delicious and very accommodating! Last the staff was pleasant and extremely helpful!

I would definitely recommend this place.

Stayed: October 2013

Dear NYCtravel77,

On behalf of the entire team at Taj Palace Marrakech, I would like to thank you for sharing your impressions of your recent visit with us.

I have to agree... the views are quite spectacular, and the photo you posted overooking the pool and riads with the cloudy Marrakech sky is just amazing! I am pleased that you found the room spacious and to your liking.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

If you want lots of style and a large amount of 'wow', plus clean air, peace and quiet within a reasonable distance of the seeming madness of El Fna square and the souk, then the Taj Palace may well be the place for you.  You should also find helpful, attentive staff and managers anxious to make your stay a good one.

Firstly, the location is well out of the city.  The free shuttle bus (4 return trips per day) takes, in reality, a good 25 minutes to get in to the centre where you are dropped/collected at the corner of El Fna square close to the main souk.  This means you have to plan your visits into the city and if you want to stay on beyond the las shuttle back at 18:00 you will need a taxi.  When we stayed later, to eat in the new town, the hotel arranged our taxi back for 200MAD (£15 approx).  It may be cheaper to bargain with one of the many 'big' taxis in town but the one provided by the hotel was an  immaculate, shiny, quick Mercedes.  We wanted to balance seeing a bit of Marrakech, the buzz etc, and a little of the countryside with some chill out, sun-soaking in a quiet, clean-air environment.    For our requirements the Taj Palace was a very good choice.

The whole look of the Taj Palace is stunning.  It certainly has a big 'wow factor'.  Purists might pick over the combination of Moroccan and Indian styles, the boldness of the colour schemes and furnishings in what is after all a contemporary interpretation of a palace (unlike Rambagh or Lake Palace).  Interestingly the design is the work of the Morocco based American artist Stuart Church. However, we were more than happy just to go 'wow' and soak in the views, interior and exterior, in-room and in the public areas.

We had booked a Palace Atlas View room and would recommend such a room as they look straight over the pool to the mountains and enjoy the sun all day. The suite in which we spent most of the week was excellent; large with excellent views from the extensive verandah; a lounge with relatively restrained decor opening through huge ornate doors on to an opulent bedroom before the  shower room, toilet and bathroom.  On entering the suite there is an additional toilet and a small room with mini-bar, separate fridge, Nespresso machine and kettle.  If charges for replenishing are a (justified) concern then we can see no reason why a personal supply could not be used.

We enjoyed the food in both the Moroccan and Indian restaurants, but wonder why they don't add an Italian menu to help provide variety when guests are eating in over several nights.  We preferred the Indian food very good indeed and given chefs from Bombay and Kolkata and the Taj link this comes as no surprise.  The main grumble would be cost.  As with luxury hotels the world over the low costs of land, building and - particularly - labour in the developing world play little part when it comes to the cost of food and drink.  Three courses with a bottle of Moroccan wine and a bottle of local mineral water costs a bit over £100.  Personally, I don't mind the food charges in such restaurants as much as those for bottled water.

Service was very good. There was a problem with our room which we reported and the hotel tried, unsuccessfully, to fix. We complained again as we were still unhappy after two nights.  The duty manager, Mr Singh, then intervened apologised for the problem which was proving intractable and upgraded us to a suite.  The second problem was in the restaurant where the special meal request by my wife was not translated into action.  Again, this was resolved and the restaurant manager subsequently recompensed us.  We found the staff attentive, unfailingly polite and eager to please.   On occasions there were slight misunderstandings due in part to the nuances of the English language and staff more familiar with Arabic, Berber, French and German (it is worth remembering that there are many many more French tourists, and German, than British). We also received a number of kind gifts during our stay, notably a delicious chocolate cake and some exciting towel and rose petal arrangements.

The hotel was very quiet during our stay with few other guests in evidence.  There was, therefore, never a problem accessing a sun lounger or obtaining help with parasols. It did mean, however,that there was a lack of atmosphere in the restaurants and public areas.  We do not swim so cannot comment on the pool as such but we did witness early - morning cleaning and other guests swimming happily.

Other points which met with our approval were: the very comfortable Mercedes transfers to and from Marrakech airport arranged by the hotel as part of our package; the facility to use the secure wired system in the concierge area to check-in online and print boarding passes; an airy and attractive spa/steam-room and fitness suite and, refreshingly, free wifi throughout!

On balance, the many strengths of the Taj Palace outweighs the areas where Taj still need to improve to bring their Marrakech closer to the standard of the likes of the Rambagh Palace, Udaipur and the Lake Palace in Jaipur where we have stayed.  If the Taj Palace Marrakech doesn't quite match those standards that is in part because we found them truly exceptional hotels.

Room Tip: The Palace Atlas facing rooms not only have stunning views across the large pool area to the mountai...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sakiScotland

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your detailed feedback via Trip Advisor

As a loyal Taj guest, we are honored you stayed at Taj Palace Marrakech and that we were able to provide you with a memorable stay. We will share your kind comments and suggestions for improvements with our team. Should you wish to discuss your stay in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact me at angela.mcguire@tajhotels.com

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you for another beautiful experience at Taj Palace Marrakech.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We went on honeymoon to the Taj Palace in June. The flight was delayed so unfortunately we arrived really late and were escorted straight to the room late so probably didn't get the complete welcome that everyone talks about.

When we arrived at the room and all I can say is WOW - the entrance, it really is the best room we've been in, big time. The size of the bedroom, the dressing room and the huge bathroom just fabulous. The high ceilings and the colours - just fantastic. The size of the bed also - it feels like you could just get lost in it...

The hotel was very quiet which was the only problem, which was such a pity as it was fabulous place, but they did say it was out of season. Staff were great and we even got to have a look at the suite they used in Sex and the City which is completely knock-out. Staff are very welcoming and pleasant. The guys in the breakfast room were very attentive.

The only problem as I see it and its always the same with 5* hotels, is the food. We only ate in one night and it was nice but nothing special, had the indian. I have read some of the other reviews saying how good it was - so maybe it was because it was quiet. Had a gin & tonic which was excessively expensive - I think it worked out at about £14. Had a cocktail in bar later on which was also very expensive, now I do accept its a 5* hotel and you expect high prices but its still a bit pricy for Morocco.

The last day we were there we decided to splash out and go to the spa (wow it was totally amazing) well worth the cost. We had the Hamman - out of this world. They wash you down completely and then the man giving my new husband the wash down bent and twisted him in all directions - it was soooo funny, but he said it was incredible. I was let off lightly - just having a good scrub. Your skin is amazing afterwards, so soft - then you get the massage - ohhh really lovely - I felt like a piece of putty. This is well worth the expense.

It was a lovely place to go on honeymoon and probably suited us being quiet but I felt for them.

Room Tip: I don't think there's anything in particular - all the rooms seem to be excellent. If you w...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maresaq
TajPalaceMarrakech, Guest Relations Manager at Sahara Palace Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Taj Palace Marrakech, and are thrilled that your honeymoon was a memorable occsion.

I will share your feedback with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. Thank you for your observations about our restaurant menus and prices - such comments help us to grow and improve in order to better serve our guests.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to serving you in the future. Wishing you a lifetime of love and happiness together!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

For my 30 th birthday , we booked a table in The Pan Asian Restaurant Mantra , At the Taj palace Marrakech, From the begining we were taken in charge by the Agent at the reception, who offered us an amizing tour Of the property.
We had few drinks at the Bambay Bar , which is beautifully decorated than we were escorted to our table . the whole staff were amazing the service at dinner was just perfect, the food exquisite, and for this matter i would like to congratulate all the Taj palace team for the excellent and memorable moment the was offer to myself and my friends

Thank you again !!! we will come back for sure

Room Tip: Try the Pan asian restaurant you wont regret it :)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
TajPalaceMarrakech, Guest Relations Manager at Sahara Palace Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Mr. Anas,

We appreciate your feedback about your recent experience at Taj Palace Marrakech, and are thrilled to learn that your 30th Birthday dinner was an enjoyable and memorable occasion for you and your guests.

We hope you will dine with us again next year for your 31st Birthday!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

I am the owner of a travel agency since 18 years, and I travelled a lot - always to the best and poshest places around the globe. Therefore I am able to compare objectively and professionally what hotels are offering to their clients. What I can say about the Taj are superlatives! I loved this hotel from the bottom of my heart! It is an oasis of luxury, it is so quiet, so chic, so posh, so colourful! The staff is marvellous, they do everything to make your stay an unforgettable one. They do care a lot about you, they smile at you, and unlike in many other hotels in Marrakech, they are not snobby at all here at the Taj.
The building itself is palatial and very, very beautiful.
The lobby is breathtakingly magnificent in its opulence.
The gardens and pool area are too beautiful to be true - just marvellous.
There is a huge pool (40x40 meters)!
The rooms are very spacious, but there are no words to describe their beauty and their orgy of colours. 100 points for those rooms and suites!
The bathrooms are fabulous.
There is nothing that I could criticize, because those little things which did not earn a 100% from my side were compensated by others which earn 150%!
Quality of food was excellent. Service was excellent as well. The menu selection is sort of limited if you do not like Indian or Moroccan food. Breakfast is below expectations, and it is too expensive for what you find on the buffet. There could be really made improvements, if I may suggest so to the cooks. Have a look at the breakfast at the Delano and you will understand why I was disappointed about the Taj breakfast.
All in all I can only recommend this magnificent fairy tale hotel. The reason of my trip to Marrakech was to look at the 25 best hotels in and around town. If I could choose one of those 25 I would turn to the Taj. I loved it most. I felt super happy there. It is stylish but not snobby. And it is stunningly beautiful without being cool. The staff is superb and it is "my" beloved hotel in Marrakech. The rooms are 100% my taste, and in all Marrakech I did not find someone as smiling, friendly, helpful and professional as Mrs. Angela (front desk). Everything was superb here, and I allow myself to add that people who criticized things at this hotel on tripadvisor might have forgotten that Morocco is not Miami Beach or Hong Kong. The charming thing about the place is that things do not have to be as efficient and supersonic as in highly civilized places. Marrakech means 1001 nights. You have to bring along time, patience and comprehension for a different way of acting, as well as a different religion and mentality. Four Seasons might offer more perfect services, but I prefer 100 times the Taj because it is not overdone, not untouchable and not so perfect as everywhere else. But the Taj is my beloved place in Marrakech. It is perfect for me. It goes underneath your skin and you will never forget about it! Thanks to all the staff for everything you did for Gregory and myself. We loved every single minute, and all of you are great!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the swimming pool and Atlas mountains are much nicer than the onesto the back. There a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Travelmaniaccc

Dear Travel Maniac,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us at Taj Palace Marrakech, and we are delighted to hear that you consider us "your beloved hotel in the city".

We have taken on board your feedback about our breakfast and dinner options, are are currently working to improve and extend our Food & Beverage offerings.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

The opportunity to visit Morocco came up recently. We were offered a five night for four break at this hotel by a travel company and as we like to stay in Taj hotels where possible we grabbed it. I'd read a report by Sanka Guha in the Telegraph which was favourable so we were full of expectation. The hotel lives up to its name with iots palatial ambience and accommodation. Our room was the largest, most palatial and most comfortable we have stayed in to date. Our welcome was very warm and as we had to wait for our room we were served complimentary coffee and croisssants while we waited. Staff were extremely courteous and helpful, if at times a little amateurish. These were the positive points.
Now for the negatives. Complimentary beverages consisted of three Nespresso capsules, and if we needed more we would have to pay for them. A pricey option. There was no tea available despite the card on the tray saying that it was. If we wanted some, we would have to purchase tea bags. Once more over priced. Dining choices extremely limited. Moroccan restaurant serving local dishes did not come up to our expectations.
The Pan-Asian restaurant served Indian and Japanese only. I dislike Japanese, and had to stick to the Indian, which was acceptable. The menu at the poolside restaurant was very limited.
In-room breakfast not too great and overpriced. Breakfast buffet in the restaurant excellent, made even better by the excellent service.
The hotel's position outside Marrakech in the Palmeraie was quiet and peaceful. Bliss! A shuttle service to the town centre was on offer and was excellent, so the distance from the Medina was not a problem.
We would go back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Whizepsom
TajPalaceMarrakech, Guest Relations Manager at Sahara Palace Marrakech, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us at Taj Palace Marrakech.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have taken on board your feedback about our Food & Beverage offerings, and will address your points with the Departments concerned.

If you would like to discuss your comments in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact me at angela.mcguire@tajhotels.com

We hope to welcome you back to Taj Palace Marrakech in the near future.