“STOLEN POSSESSION October 18th, 2011”
Review of Atlas Medina & Spa

Atlas Medina & Spa
Ranked #195 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel because part of a tour package. We went out and when we came back in the room we found that the watch I had left on the table was no longer there. We talked to the director, who, not seeming surprised at all, offered us to recuperate the value with spa treatments. We accepted, however, this very sad and annoying event remains in the history of the hotel and its management. After this heppening we discovered on Tripadvisor that a similar event had happened only three weeks before in the same hotel! We asked more accurate inquieries and we had a technician checking the automatic key-card of the room and printing the results. They aknowledged that there was an entrance in the room over the suspected time frame. They told us the the entrance corresponded to the key of the room maids. Authorized room maids or not, my watch has been stolen.
In addition to this, honestly the room was dirty, very very dusty, the bathroom not cleaned as a 5 STAR hotel WOULD HAVE TO BE. The swimming pool was very badly maintained. The staff not kind at all. Many of the feedbacks on this hotel we have read were not good, we stayed there only because part of a week guided tour package, if differently we'd have never stayed at the Medina and Spa.Unfortunately we cannot recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank france15
ATLASMEDINA, Directeur général at Atlas Medina & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting Atlas Médina & Spa and taking the time to share with us your experience.
We are completely surprised with your charges of theft during your stay with us. Kindly remember that we have investigated the matter as soon as you had claimed it and the card key’s checking report has shown only two entrances in the room: you and the room maid.
We have then summoned this person in the presence of the representative of the group and you have gone as to say yourself that this person cannot be responsible for the theft. More than that you have refused to get refund on the value of your watch and you have accepted gladly to have a spa treatment that costs twice as much.
Kindly note Sir, that our housekeeping staff is faith worthy. They have being working with our hotel for many years and they haven’t shown any suspicious behaviour.
We hope that this kind restatement of facts would help you to reconsider your position towards our hotel and our values and we look forward to welcome you another time in Atlas Médina & Spa.

With our kind regards
S NACIRI - GENERAL MANAGER

Reviewed 4 October 2011

Just back from the Atlas Medina the staff were courteous and never rude the ground were spotless there are 2 hotel pools. The rooms are large but slightly tired compared to other hotels I visited in the area.

Breakfast is buffet and has a choice of hams cheeses cereals and a type of English breakfast.
Its a short taxi to the local area to the main square and markets. It will suit anyone for a short break there is a spa at extra cost also

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank ruthgoze
Reviewed 26 September 2011

The Atlas Medina hotel in Marrakech is average. The rooms were clean and comfortable but we found the reception staff unhelpful at times and the staff in the restaurant often ignored our requests for drinks. We thought the staff did not understand enough English, so ignored us instead.
The stray cats in the outside dining area were on tables looking for scraps.
However,the buffet lunch we had as part of our tour was excellent, good tasty food, a sharp contrast to our evening buffet the night before.
We slept well at night and could not hear the nightclub from our rooms unlike our friends who did.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Sherryl_10
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. 5 star hotel? I dont think so... Check in took a long time and the quality of the rooms are sub standard! My room tables and chairs were wobbly!! On my second night of stay I came to find my room door wide open with no explanation from hotel manager, and to my shock my mobile phone and several items missing! The hotel manager didnt have much to explain about this nor did he acknowledge this with any gesture! Not even an email to confirm this happened so I can claim on my insurance! Dont stay here.. you will regret it!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank mojo2977
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We are currently here and writing this from the balcony of my large double room, the heat is 39 degrees at it is only 8.00am
Staff excellant, food very good, all speak French and most very good English too.
Pools are very clean they are cleaned daily , no problems at all yet the prices are fair

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Firstly, we’d like to note that this is the Atlas Medina and Spa hotel we are talking about. There are two other Atlas hotels very close by and this is the definitely the best! Our whole experience of the hotel was brilliant from start to finish…
Hotel and room: The hotel itself is beautiful, clean and opulent! The reception staff were fantastic, always helpful and polite, never making us feel less important than other guests. When we accidentally broke the shower on the first night and phoned to report it, maintenance were up at the room within 10minutes and had it fixed 5 mins later. The room was huge, overlooking the pool with a very comfy super kingsize bed and a huge balcony. Room was cleaned every day and fresh towels delivered. Bath robes were changed at least twice in the week.
Pool: Lovely pool area, with sun loungers and free towels. When it was busy, the pool man went out of his way to find us two sun loungers, a parasol and a table and put them together for us. After a few days, he even ‘reserved’ two loungers for us even though we never requested it. Pool was clean and refreshing and never too busy.
Eating: We were on a bed and breakfast basis and the breakfasts were plentiful! It was a buffet style and there was everything from bacon and scrambled eggs, cereals, fresh fruit, meats and cheeses to croissants and other sweet pastries. Some days a chef was out doing omelettes and fried eggs to order. Tea and coffee were of a good standard!
In the evening we only ate at the restaurants twice: once in the a la carte where we had a steak and a John Dory fillet with veg. This worked out at about £10-12 each. The second time was in the main restaurant on the buffet style. Lots of choice of starters, mains and puddings. This was pricier at a cost of £50 for two including a half bottle of wine. The rest of time we went down to Jamma El Fna square and ate at the open air eateries. Salad starters, bread, olives, kebabs and a big bottle of water was between £10 and £15 for 2. Be aware of stall 31 and 32 as whilst they look cheap, they are more for the locals as they use liver/kidneys etc. The fresh juice stalls are a must – 4 dirhams (about 30p) gets you freshly squeezed ice cold juice – magic! And no dodgy tummy the whole holiday!!
Location: Hotel was in a great place, close enough to the square without being noisy. Other people have commented about the noise of the nightclub – there was a night club called Actors underneath the hotel at the edge but we did not see this open once in the whole stay and there was certainly no noise! The road in front of the hotel was one way and fairly quiet. It is possible to walk to Jamma El Fna square from the hotel (we did it once) but given the oppressive heat in the evening, it was easier to get a taxi (just flag one down in the street but always agree a price before you get in). We NEVER paid more than 30d (£2.50) although you may have to barter them down!
Excursions: We went through Thomson so excursions were organised through them but we definitely recommend the Atlas mountains in a 4x4 and the trip to Essaouira. Long days but worth it!
Overall, a fantastic holiday. The Moroccan people are amongst the friendliest we have met and whilst we may see them as pushy, trying to get you into their eateries/shops they are only trying earn a living and a firmly spoken ‘La shockran’ (No thank you in Arabic) does wonders! One last thing – the last day of our stay was the first day of Ramadan (the whole of August this year). We noticed a definite difference as the hotel and pool were much quieter and many of the eateries/cafes were closed during the daytime. Just bear this in mind!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view on booking!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Smiley_scribe
atlasasni, Guest Relations Manager at Atlas Medina & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your wonderful experience at Atlas Médina & Spa and we are very happy to know how much you have appreciated the hotel, the stuff, the location and the services. We look forward to receiving you another time for another 1st class stay.

With our Kind regards

Reviewed 1 August 2011

1) There was broken glass in pool from the underwater lights. When I mentioned this to the pool boy, I was asked to pick it up.

2) The pool smelt of urine.

3) Lumps of hair floating in the pool.

4) A dead bird was found one foot away from pool. When I told the pool boy, nothing was done about it as it was still there next day.

5) There was no indication that the pool had a 1.5 foot drop to the deep end. My wife does not swim almost drowned. It took my 16 year old sister to help here as no help was provided by the pool boy – this was the end of our pool experience!

6) Out of the three rooms, only one safe worked. We mentioned this to reception; however nothing was done to resolve this. Instead, other members of our party used the safe in my room. This was very inconvenient.

7) The shower head of one of the room were broken. We notified reception but no one came and it was not fixed. Instead, the occupants of that room shared showers with one of our other rooms.

8) Two room keys stopped working during our stay.

9) House keeper left room door ajar for anyone to enter - lucky, nothing was stolen and no sign of entry. Mentioned this to reception, but they did not really care.

10) The Expedia website states that pets are not aloud, however a local resident had his dog freely wondering around the pool area.

11) There were stray cats outside waiting for scraps from dinner plates.

12) There were birds flying all around the indoor breakfast/ dinner hall. Bird droppings were noticed on walls and floor.

13) Ants were crawling on the indoor breakfast/ dinner tables

14) Upon making some basic enquiries about local events and attractions, we were given inconsistent information which lead to waste of taxi money and time. One person would say one thing, and the other would say something different.

15) Our package included breakfast and dinner. Breakfast was served each morning between 6am and 10.30am. On one particular day, no breakfast left at 9.45am. We sat down at an empty table, went to the buffet to find no food. It was obvious that there were ‘extra’ people in the hotel. They were very rude and lacked basic manners. Eating like ‘dogs’ or as if food had never been seen before. All the plates were used up so they used tea cups as plates. They stood next to the buffet - refilling their ‘cups’ from the buffet with spoons that had been in their mouths. Returning to our table to find a number of these extra visitors had sat in our places and would not move. My hat was put on the floor.

I spoke to the reception manager as the restaurant managers in brown suits were ignoring me when I was attempting to speak to them. The reception manager told me an extra 200 people were in hotel as a flight was cancelled and those passengers ended up at the Atlas Medina & Spa hotel for breakfast. We were told to sit down in the lunch restaurant in the hotel. We were promised fresh breakfast there. No orders for breakfast or drinks were taken for 20minutes. It took another 15minutes to the receive tea and water – our orange juice did not appear at all. We were also given a very old crusty cake – which was stale, hence we did not eat it. We were then told by the waitress that no food would be served until 12.30pm. Once again, I called for the manager, who was not only rude to me but shrugged his shoulders to my wife, stating he did not want to talk to a woman.

Is this how guests are treated in 5 star hotels?

I suggested we have room service, as it was stated in the room directory that it was available 24 hours a day. The manager however told us that room service was not available until 12.30pm. The manager then walked away without any care.

We had no option but to return at 12.30pm. We did eat at the lunch buffet. We were under the impression drinks were complementary; we ordered 2 Sprites and 4 Cokes only to find out after that we had to pay for them. During our meal, we received 1 bottle of still water and 1 bottle of sparkling water. Once again were told we had to pay for the other drinks. I was not happy so I spoke to manager again. It was not the case of money as the drinks prices were minimal but it was the principal. The manager was very rude, throwing his hands up in the air many times and shouting at me in front of other guests.

When I asking him to tell me his name was, he walked away talking in Arabic. I ran after him and he shouted at me again and told me to get his name from reception. I spoke to reception and they would not give me his name so I demanded to speak to the hotel manager. After a lengthy conversation with the hotel manager, he finally gave in were not charged for the drinks.

A lot of stress for a package that included breakfast!

16) The clocks went back on day we were returning to London. We were not told about this by the hotel. We woke up at 4.30am thinking it was 5.30am to breakfast at the hotel before leaving for the airport.

The hotel opened for breakfast at 6am (which was really 5am) which suggests they did not even know themselves about the hour change. We planned to be at the airport at 8am (2 hours before departure) but got there at 7am which meant we had to wait an hour before the check-in desk opened.

I think the above speaks for itself.....

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Pally1981
atlasasni, Director of Sales at Atlas Medina & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting Atlas Médina & Spa. We are very Amazed towards your comment on Trip Advisor.Your complaints are very exagerated and you are misleading any visitor who can take seriousely these comments.we kindly invite you to read the comments of other guests that have stayed at the same period on our property and they have enjoyably ralated their vacation’s experience.

With our kind regards.