“iF YOU REALLY TRIED, YOU COULD FIND FAULT BUT YOU'D HAVE TO LOOK HARD!”

Mogador Express Bab Doukkala
Ranked #457 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I arrived hot and bothered after taking the No.19 Bus from the Airport. Even before I got to the doors of the Ryad Mogador Hotel (3*) the Concierge and Manager saw me approaching and rushed out to greet me and take my suitcases. They were very kind.
Booking-In was o.k. though i was hot and flustered and I would have preferred to catch my breath before the onlaught (not to mention have a cup of tea!). However, they made Booking-In fast and efficient. I was helped up to my room by the cheerful Porter.
My room was perfectly satisfactory. I am ususally a stickler for cleanliness and a bit of a fuss-pot but I felt so welcomed that I readily overlooked a few areas of tattiness. Like I said: you could find fault if you wanted to: the Hotel does need upgrading and redecorating. Things like marks on woodwork, a bit of a leaky shower, the odd cracked tile, my door handle occasionally falling off. To my own surprise these things did not make me cross. I think the atmosphere is so pleasant and the Staff so quick to please; that it was like being at home: you-know-you-need-to-redecorate-but -t's-comfy-kinda-thing!
The Pool was a bit shambolic but perfectly servicable. A welcome oasis in a desert of extreme heat. Lots of Hotels do not have pools and sunbeds. So I was blessed!
The food was acceptable. Not great (I went half-board; which apparently gives one the 10 MAD Set Menu). I say Set Menu but you had a choice of three Starters, 3 Mains and 3 Desserts.
I would advise people to go for the Moroccan choices. They were the best. It wasn't a fabulous menu but it was perfectly good enough and I felt blessed and cossetted (especially as a middle-aged Church Minister travelling alone) that my meals were provided: meaning I didn't have to go out at night looking for Restaurants.
The Waiters were adorable..
Breakfasts are not British in any way so I do understand why other Members of Tripadvisor have written poor critiques of them. However: "When in Rome..."!!! They were different, yes. But put your International head on and you will be appreciative of them.
Surpisingly, I had a Travel Rep! I went with On The Beach and have never had a Travel Rep before with that Company. Some Liverpudlians I met (who booked with another Company entirely) had also not expected a Rep. but got one - the same Chap I had. He was called Omar and just showed up. I was glad. Marrakech is pretty overwhelming and I was really glad of a friendly face and some advice. i booked some Trips through him and they were fabulous. He was nice and very helpful.
I was well-blessed!
I had some ups and downs on this Holiday: I got robbed of about £20 by three lads when I wandered into a very unsulubrious area and got lost. I blame myself entirely. I know the rules of travel I have gone on my own to India several times and know what to do and what not to do if you find yourself lost and vulnerable in a cess-pitty-tpe-of-area! I did all the wrong things (like trusting someone, letting my guard down and opening my stuffed-full-of-money-purse in broad daylight in full view of extremely poor street kid) and got my just desserts!
I got lost several times and eventually gave up the David Attenborough Crusade and took well-bartered-for Taxis. I was totally fine then!
I would deffo go back to Morocco; probably to marrakech and if so would absoloutely, certainly go back to The Ryad Mogador Hotel.
The Staff were fabulous and I give thanks to God for their lovely spirits.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank pastorlydia
There are newer reviews for Mogador Express Bab Doukkala

Reviewed 14 July 2010

Stayed at the hotel for 7 nights, was not,sure what to expect after reading reviews on the site. Like many people suggested we caught the no 19 bus with no problem which dropped us off directly outside the hotel. On the first night we was given a room facing the petrol station which was small and stuffy but after one request we were given a room on the opposite side with a balcony which was a lot bigger and cooler.
Hotel is in the middle so u can access the old part, 15 minutes walk and same distance to the new part of the city. Just be aware if catching a taxi to make sure he goes by the meter as we found taxis were charging us 20 or more for a trip that was 6 d on the meter!
Generally enjoyed our time in marrakech, lots and lots of beggers, the men on the stall charged us triple the price for food we didn't order plus Coz it wasn't clean cats we're under the tables which freaked me out.
whilst staying there its a must to eat on the balcony and watch the square. The atmosphere is crazy!
The best place we ever ate was at the Yen Sen which we found whilst walking one evening, lovley restaurant, extremely clean and excellent service, food is good portion, very well presented and tasty with a large variety. Only cost 95d for two of us which is 7 English pounds.
bare in mind any excursions booked by the hotel are double the price, ask a taxi driver instead for half the price. Definitely go on the fantisia night and trip to Atlas mountain.
We enjoyed it and would recommend anyone to go.

2  Thank zhussain1
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We stayed in this hotel in for 4 nights in july the hotel is very large and looks like it might be quite pricey but it really is not at all, a double room is just 450 dirhams if you have a moroccan nationality you get a discount on the room by a further 100 dirhams so even better!
The staff were extremely pleasent, helpfull and kind the food was definately over priced paying european prices certainly didnt appeal to us so we ate out or popped to the supermaket next door which is part of the hotel.
Our room was very comfortable and clean with sat tv and lovely air conditioning unit which was in good working order, the bed was very comfortable the bed spread looked some what to be desired I was not convinced it had been washed but the sheets were clean, perhaps they should use daz or something????
The bathroom was clean the whole place needs up dating but it serves it purpose really its sort of late 90's needs bringing into the millenium.
My shower head was rubbish and cheap with water spurting every where but atleast the water was hot.
My gripes were finding a roach type thing on my bed husband said it was a wood roach but it looked like a cockroach which I slapped to death with my flip flop.
And I really wish the hotel would ban smoking inside the premises in the lounge downstairs with it being world cup everyone wanted to watch the matchs on the big screen there but half the guests were smoking and choking us non smokers and my clothes reeked of ciggerettes after if you have kids with you there is no way you could sit there in the lounge.
Other than that I liked the place they have a small swimming pool and sunbathing terrace and a very large resturant, the room came with breakfast but I found the breakfast boring and uninspiring it was olives, greasy moroccan pancake, bread, jam or boiled egg...so just passed and drank the coffee.

I would pick the ryad mogaor again for its general cleanliness, good service and good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bujjeron
Reviewed 26 June 2010

After reading the mixed reviews of this hotel, I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived, as it was relatively large and modern. The room I was given was decent sized and had a balcony, which I never used after the initial inspection and I thereafter kept it locked. As others have indicated there was no refrigerator and the TV had very few English channels -- no CNN -- but it did have a British channel, which I found useful when I wanted to watch the prime ministerial debates in the UK election.

All this said, I will cut to the chase. There was a safe in the room, but I didn't have enormous valuables and put close to a hundred dollars in my suitcase in a closed compartment, feeling there was no reason to carry it with me in the possible chance I might be robbed outside. Whenever I left the hotel, I put my briefcase inside the suitcase on top of the suit separator, closed the valise and locked it by inserting a small lock in the apertures at the top of each zipper.

This had never been a problem before, and I have traveled all over the world -- to India, to Brazil, to China and to most of the First World nations. However, after my first night and at the end of the second day I opened the lock to my suitcase and noticed that the clasp to one of the zippers was somewhat separated, though not entirely. I thought that I must have banged it and proceeded to open the bag, when I noticed that my briefcase was not on top of the suit separator but under it. This seemed odd, as I was sure I had placed it on top, and as I inspected further and opened the closed pocket on the inside of the suitcase and grabbed the pile of money -- still there -- I saw that they were all singles and one five dollar bill. My three twenty dollar bills and another five dollar bill were gone.

Now, fortunately, this was only $65, but it was shocking nonetheless. Also shocking was the amiable manager the next day, Rashid, who, though friendly and sympathetic, at first suggested it must have been one of my hotel neighbors. Huh?

I asked how they would have gotten in, and that it must have been one of the staff. He said they could have climbed over the balcony, to which I replied, "The balcony was locked." Undaunted he suggested the maid might have left it open, which I thought was a bit of a reach, and surely a violation of a guest's security. Plus, the balcony was still locked, meaning that the thief would have entered through the balcony and then left by the front door. Not likely.

I insisted that it must have been one of the hotel staff and wrote a letter to that effect to the Ryad Mogador management, including my business card, and I've never heard a reply. Plus, I said I wanted to call the police and instead of calling them for me, he directed me to the local precinct several minutes away.

I went to the police precinct and after explaining to the police what had happened, when they realized which hotel it was they said, "That's not in our district." It was becoming comedic, as they directed me to a precinct very far away, not even the same walking distance as their precinct had been and on the way back to the hotel I thought it clearly was not worth wasting my last full day over $65 and did nothing further.

However, I feel it necessary to warn one and all that this is a hotel that does not concern itself very much that one or more of its staff is entering rooms and stealing valuables (again, this has never happened to me in over twenty years of world traveling). It apparently does not have cameras in the hallways, as the manager said this would upset the guests (though such camerawork was evident in the Peruvian hotel that provided enough proof to capture and arrest the Dutch/Aruban guy who is suspected of murder.)

As a side note, I have to say that, because the staff was fearful of being questioned by the police, my room was not cleaned that day. When I complained, a maid came and after she left I returned to find the bed made, but when I dropped something on the floor and bent under the bed to retrieve it I couldn't believe the size of dust balls that were under my bed and the adjoining one. Plus, under the adjoining bed was an empty plastic water bottle a previous guest had left (one only has to wonder how many previous occupancies ago). When I asked the maid to return she cleaned under my bed but did nothing about what was under the adjoining bed.

So, all in all, the hotel looks a lot better than it really is. Admittedly, had I not been robbed I wouldn't have minded, as the price was quite reasonable, and, as stated, while not really near anything and requiring taxis to return from the Place Jemaa in the evening (if you want to be secure), it would have been fine. The taxis are very cheap, although one has to insist that they use the meter. Some won't, and I started writing down the numbers of those who refused to use the meter and eventually filed a police report at the Place Jemaa Touristic Police Station (where sadly they could do nothing about filing a report about my hotel theft, because, you guessed it, it wasn't their district.

I sense I've said enough. If you stay at this hotel, do not leave anything of tangible value in your room. Although I give the thief a few positive points for closing my bag up in the manner he/she did, making it appear untouched, including leaving most of my small bills so that I perhaps wouldn't notice the robbery until I'd left the hotel.

One final note, re the Ryad Mogador administration. I ate my final dinner in their hotel dining room and they didn't even have the class to comp me the meal for my trouble.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank WHwriter
Reviewed 22 June 2010

Was a bit worried after reading some negative reviews on here but am pleased to say that this hotel was nothing to worry about.
The only negatives for us was that there is no bar and the rooms are quite small and of a fairly basic standard. However they were well maintained and cleaned thoroughly daily. I think we may have been lucky as we had a balcony with a decent view but there appeared to be a lot of rooms round the back with no balconies and probably not such a great view.
The buffet breakfast was very good for a budget-style hotel - there was OJ, tea/coffee/hot chocolate, pastries, cakes, bread, toast, pancakes, yoghurt, salad and olives.
The staff were friendly and the location is great - right in the middle of the medina and the new town with a 10/15 minute walk into the centre of either.
There is also a supermarket directly below the hotel which is open late and is very convenient.
The pool is fairly small but is a nice, clean area with comfortable sunbeds. Yes it is cold but I found it to be extremely refreshing and a great way to cool down.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank KazScotland
Reviewed 15 June 2010

We stayed a whole 11 nights in this hotel and took excursions out to the Ourika Valley and Essaouria as well as indulging in the Fantasia evening. It was marvellous if not a bit fraught! My husband and I are comfortably off but don't think it necessary to have all of the luxuries when it comes to staying in a hotel, as the majority of the time you are only there to rest your head or take a plunge in the pool every so often.
The Ryad Mogador Marrakech is part of a chain and there is also a 5 star one of the same in Marrakech as well.
We found ourselves about a 20 minute walk from all the lively restaurants and bars in the Gueliz district and 20 mins the other way into Jemaa el Fna (the main square) So it was well located.
The hotel staff were all pleasant and the maids were thorough when cleaning the room and left plenty of fresh towels and toilet roll provisions. In fact we left them a good tip for all their hard work. It is absolutely safe to leave personal belongings and the rooms are secure. I wouldn't bother paying extra for the deposit box, it is not necessary. They are trustworthy. The pool is quite small but we had a couple of days around it. From 12.00 onwards is best as the sun moves round to hit the pool which is usually in shade in the morning. The hotel got a taxi driver to take us to the Ourika Valley and he also acted as a guide stiopping here and there along the way and then found us another guide to take us up to the waterfalls. The whole day cost us around 600 dirhams for both guides and transport which was pretty darn good. The hotel got us a taxi as the excursions are dearer. Although I did book 2 in advance with Viator, using Holiday services Morocco, which were reasonable and great. The hotel is non alcoholic but there is a supermarket that sells alcohol just down the road called Acima and most of the bars in the Gueliz district serve alcohol.
Everything was clean and when you phoned down to reception the service was almost immediate if you needed something. It's a very multi-cultural hotel, full of all sorts of people. We enjoyed it and think others will too. It's amazing value, convinient and respectable. The breakfast was a bit of a high point every morning with a selection of fresh pancakes and maple syprup, yoghurt, olives, tomatoes, boiled eggs and a variety of pastries. The orange juice is free flowing as is the slightly weak tea and coffee, to me however the choice was amazing and I enjoyed every morning!
If you are in two minds about whether to book this or not based on the mixed reviews, I would say if you like your comforts and like a clean, pleasant environmnet to stay in this hotel is for you. If you have issues and complain about the slightest thing like marks on the wall or a dripping tap, then no this hotel is not perfect; but it will serve basic needs, with a slightly higher than average standard, I think. You know it makes sense.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sugarplum007
Reviewed 2 June 2010

We stayed 5 nights at Ryad Mogador Marrakech at the end of May (avg £30/night, double room). The airport shuttle stops right across the road from the hotel. The hotel is situated at a good location, approximately 20min walk to the souk. We took an excursion in the middle of the week, so we stayed in two different rooms. The room facing the main road was quite noisy at night/early morning and the size of the room was much bigger. The other room facing the gas station was much more quiet but substantially smaller in size. Both rooms were clean with working a/c and hot water always available for showers. Staff were friendly but generally able to understand simple English only. Breakfast included (6:30am-10:30am), mostly bread and pastry. Room service is available and the cost for food is very reasonable. We ordered a spaghetti, a steak sandwich and a salad for 11 euros. There is a big supermarket right on the first floor. The swimming pool was a bit filthy, there were cigarette buds and trash in the pool. Overall stay was satisfactory, will stay again if we visit Morocco in the future.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple