“Best of Marrakech”

Ranked #27 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Poperinge, Belgium
“Best of Marrakech”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Most beautiful hotel of Marrakech. Authenticity of a very high level - better than Mammounia. Rooms excellent, spa excellent.

2 Thank petsa1234

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The beauty of the intimate riads in Morocco is that you so often feel like you are staying in someone's home rather than a faceless hotel. I have had the good fortune to stay in several riads in Morocco, and I do have an absolute favourite, but I still like to try other riads for a few nights before returning to my No1. On this trip I decided to start my trip with a stay at La Sultana as many people rate it the best riad in Marrakech - so, I had very high expectations. Upon making my reservation I noted a small detail - La Sultana
charge to collect you at the airport - no other riad has ever done so. Plus, La
Sultana is possibly the most expensive riad there is and take a 50% deposit up front.

Anyway, I went ahead with my booking - was collected at the airport - and without doubt upon arrival at the riad, and being shown around, it is a beautiful riad full of artisnal
handiwork (though I have stayed at riads more immaginativley and creatively decorated which I have been featured in books or magazines such as World of Interiors). But for me, there the experience ended. My suite certainly lacked any wow-factor and verged on the very ordinary and uninspiring.

The riad has a very nice enclosed pool area, but even in low season and with low occupancy there can easily be a race to get a sun lounger and it can feel claustrophobic - I absolutely hate to think what it would be like in high season (though in fairness that must be the same with most of the riads). Of course there are plenty of other places to sit, especially on the roof, but everyone wants to be by the pool. I have read some reviews which mention the wonderful roof top pool - let's tell the truth, it is the size of a large bathtub, but longer. It's unlikely you would want to share it with a stranger.
Sadly our relaxation by the pool - every day - was marred by one man who seemed to think it perfectly acceptable to have his music playing on his ipad and ruined the peace and tranquility. Further, due to the influx of rich Russians who are now travelling to all the hot spots, but have yet to learn any social etiquette, grace or respectful manners when in the company of others, they seem to think it acceptable to shout the whole day across the pool or courtyards to each other. Riads are supposed to be a place of tranquility NOT a theme park!

Over all I felt like La sultana was more like a hotel than an intimate riad. There were certainly none of the typical little luxuries of many other riads such as laying on a free afternoon tea (not even free Morrocan mint tea which you get just about everywhre) or a free laundry service. Plus housekeeping were very good at taking things away, but not replacing them. Certainly breakfast was an absolute shambles every morning - can we have napkins? butter? cutlery? preserves? And not one decent coffee or tea during our whole stay depite repeatedly asking for very hot water - plus, at this riad's prices I expect some good loose leaf tea in a pot, not an inferior brand tea bag on a saucer with a luke warm pot of water. So the bottom line is that I still have my No1 riad, and I wouldn't stay at La Sultana again, and I definitely wouldn't recommend it to any friends. The riad itself is beautiful (as is the spa) but the rest is just perfunctory and offers a very hit-or-miss service. But, credit where it's due, Mayumi and Khalib on reception are excellent, and a couple of the younger staff who serve dinner in the evenings on the terrace have that magic smile and twinkle which is found more in abundance in other riads, but that's about it.

Sadly, I suspect I shall remember La Sultana for the wrong reasons rather than the good ones, and I have to ask, why is this one of the most expensive riads in Marrakech which offers so little to justify the price? I am only left with one question when reading many of the posted reviews of La Sultana that speak of it in glowing terms, and that is, have you stayed at any other riads in Morrocco for comparison? If this had been my first riad stay, and I had nothing to compare with, then I probably would have been impressed. But I am only too aware there are other riads that give you a far better service, and treat you to a far better Morrocan experience and good hospitality, and are cheaper to stay at.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Serial_Traveller
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Have just arrived back from Morocco, and we treated ourselves to 2 nights in this fantastic hotel, After being pointed up a passage way by our taxi driver we had doubts about where we were staying but as soon as we opened the huge doors we entered another world. Everything about the hotel is 1st class staff,rooms, attention to detail such as little cakes and mint tea on arrival, Whilst not cheap it was worth every penny(Or dirham)

4 Thank beano1960
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My daughter chose Marrakech as our holiday destination, I was a bit dubious but how wrong was I. What a beautiful magical country.
We stayed at La Sultanta beginning of July 2011 for one week and La Sultana was the ideal Riad, its location within the Medina walls was easy walking distance to the Souks at the Place Jenna el Fna and attractions. The rooms, the decor and the service were excellent, we experienced no problems whatsoever. We enjoyed a day at the La Sultana Spa experiencing for the first time a Hamman which was relaxing, nothing was too much trouble.
The meals were first class and whatever was requested was provided, it was the little touches that made La Sultana special.
We had a wonderful stay and the staff could not be more helpful and welcoming. La Sultana was as magical as the country.
I would recommend La Sultanta to anyone wanting to experience Marrakech.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Happiness52
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2011

For any one travelling to Marrakech ... stay at La Sultana!

I dont usually write reviews but I thought for this I just had to recommend!

As soon as we arrived at the hotel, we were greatly welcomed by the staff who gave us a highly personalised service by showing us around the riad (my boyfriend and I were speechless as to how beautiful it was-the pictures are lovely but it is even better in real life), we were also given traditional mint tea and pastries on arrival and shown to our room which was very large with a beautiful bathroom coated with pink rose petals.

We arrived in the evening so thought we should sample the restaurant as it was a stunning setting around the pool and a man played the mandolin whilst we ate. This was a fantastic experience and the waiters were so keen to please.

The riad is also in the perfect location, only a ten minute walk from the main market and right in the middle of the Medina and the action.

The swimming pool is beautiful and you can even go on the terrace to sunbath.
There is also a complimentary mini bar (bar alcohol) which was a nice touch.

We also did an excursion to the Atlas Mountains which we organised with the riad on our arrival. It was a lovely change to the hustle of Marrakech and is really worth doing to see the berber culture. We went to Ourika Valley and visited an Argan oil workshop and then were taken to Richard Branson's Morrocan Retreat for lunch which was also beautiful.

If I ever go back to Marrakech I will definitely stay at La Sultana! I have stayed in many 5 star hotels but the service you receive at La Sultana and the riad setting is unlike anywhere else I have ever stayed.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ASilverman
Cadiz, Spain
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Our stay at La Sultana Marrakech was magical. The setting in the Medina and the style and layout of the hotel made the place unique. The staff were always smiling and attentive but not obtrusive so it felt like being in your own home.

Room Tip: any of the rooms or suites
3 Thank DAS62
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Stayed 10 nights in La Sultana. The hotel was superb and exceeded our expectations. There were not many people staying there, so we got an upgrade to a huge room overlooking the pool. Soft drinks from the mini bar were free, as was our welcome gift of wine, fruit, nuts & Moroccan sweets.

The staf were all very friendy and helpful. Service was attentive but not too intrusive.

Breakfast on the open roof terrace was smashing and the range and quality of the food suited us perfectly. Ate dinner twice there, which was probably enough. Menue is a bit limited, but not too expensive compared to the places outside which serve booze. (KozyBar & La Tanji are both good and only 10 mins walk away).

Pool area was amazing. Such a tranquil spot in the Medina. Roof terrace for the last couple of hours suns and a Casablanca beer rounded off any day.

The small bar downstairs, with a wondow to the pool, was closed. No big deal. The surrounding streets are rpetty grotty, but then that is the Medina for you. Enjoy the luxury of La Sultana even more knowing it is in the middle of bedlham.

I would definatly recommend La Sultana and would go back there.

3 Thank Monksie03