“A paradise”
Review of Riad Farnatchi

Riad Farnatchi
Ranked #83 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband and I had planned 4 months ahead our first getaway to Marrakech, I read in details all reviews and tips from tripadvisor.
I divided my vacations in half of the time at The Medina and the other half at the tranquility of La Palmerai.
I picked Riad Farnatchi because reviews and pictures were fantastic, but, after experiencing the paradise of this riad I just think the comments were underestimating.
First don't get fool when dropped by the driver in the middle of the medina's labyrinth because once you transpass Farnatchi's wood doors you will find yourself in a calm, 'zen', stunning, moroccan riad, decorated with taste and introducing you with the indulgence of the culture.
Immeditely the staff members will greet you and will make you feel comfortable and "at home", they gave us suite #7 as I requested: spacious, outstanding room with a private terrace and an amazing shower, and the nice touch of welcoming gifts.
They guided us to pick restaurants, excursions, discovering walks and visits.
They booked everything for us : from taxi rides to restaurant reservations to hot balloon excursion!
The first night we decided to dine at the Riad and we loved the food, maybe one of our best meals and surprisingly very good moroccan wine.
We also decided to try out their hammam and was incredible!
You are always sipping on mint tea and snacking on moroccan treats.
The touch of free laundry: I love it!!!
We left after 2 nights to La Palmerai to "escape" from the busy Medina but next trip to Marrakech: nobody will move me from Riad Farnatchi"s cozy couches, their relaxing terraces and beautiful pool.

Room Tip: Check web site and email the staff requesting your top 3, they will please you
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PAO D D

Reviewed 5 July 2012

More than just a break, staying at Riad Farnatchi was a sublime experience. From the moment of our arrival, when we were greeted with warmth and genuine hospitality, to our departure.

This was a special celebration combining both my 50th and our Wedding anniversary. A Birthday card was a lovely touch as was the general approach of all staff who were ever present but not obtrusive; providing the most excellent standard of service I have experienced.

This from a hotelier, who prides herself on meticulously high standards. Much to learn! Well done Riad Farnatchi, we'll be back for more.

Room Tip: Our stay was in room 3, a large and luxurious suite with a lovely balcony overlooking the pool.
1  Thank NickeyFalstone
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We had 4 fantastic days in this magnificent oasis. Wonderfully friendly staff in one of the most stylish Riads in Marrakesh. Nothing was too much trouble and we always had helpful advice on where to eat and what to see. (Advice that we found you could really trust, Johnathan and his team have impeccable taste.) We had restaurants booked for us and they organised the most brilliant official guide to show us just what we wanted to see, on and off the tourist trail. Situated in the heart of the Medina it's brilliantly located and you get the total Marrakech experience. Just go.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cam H
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We spent 4 wonderful nights in Farnatchi and will return to Marrakech on our next trip to Morrocco just to repeat the experience. The staff were wonderful; very friendly, knowledgeable about local sights and bookings and forward planning within Morocco. Nothing was too much trouble for James and his team.The rooms were very comfortable. Our small group had booked 2 rooms and both were of a high standard. The food was delicious , and we enjoyed a choice of restaurant or al fresco beside the pool. Drinks and canapes were served in our room at 6pm and the 'hamman and massage' is a definite repeat event. It was amazing to find such peace and tranquility within the walls of the souk, and so close to the market areas. Thank you Riad Farnatchi for a most enjoyable experience!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Heather S
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I have wanted to go to magical Marrakech for years after admiring the beauty and history in magazines and books and finally got there this summer. It sounds overly dramatic but when I entered Riad Farnatchi from the tiny alley (which looks like nothing special) my breath was taken away and I had tears in my eyes because it was more than I had even imagined the beauty of Marrakech would hold. The decoration is authentic but also modern. The owner has purchased incredible antique Moroccan pieces.There is nothing artificial or kitschy about the decor as I have seen in images of other Riads. My husband who is loves the comfort of a Four Seasons hotel loved the Riad which is testimony to the comfort as well as style of the place. There is a Four Seasons in Marrakech but it looks like it could be anywhere in the world based on its design and decor. You should definitely stay in a Riad inside the Medina and Riad Farnatchi is the best of the bunch. The rooms and bathrooms are to die for. The photos don't do them justice.

The owner James provided valuable guidance on what to do in Marrakech and where to find the best shopping and restaurants. Saida, was so attentive to us and our needs (even getting a special meal to our specifications when we fell ill.) All of our dinner reservations and transportation were easily and quickly arranged for us. It left us to soak up the sun on the beautiful roof terrace, dip in the gorgeous plunge pool, relax on our balcony, and explore the Souks and Marrakech as a whole.

We also had the hammam treatment and massages which were truly excellent. You must at minimum do the hammam experience to get the authentic Moroccan experience. Riad Farnatchi's is beautiful.

We initially arranged to stay 3 days and then go to the coast and then on our return to Marrakech to try another Riad. After I did more research I couldn't find a place that topped Riad Farnatchi so we went back for 3 more nights. We were welcomed back warmly. I will definitely return to Marrakech as I fell in love with the city and when I do I will return to Riad Farnatchi.

1  Thank SFOdeparture
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I recently stayed at Farnatchi for the second time and I was not disappointed. They still maintain the wonderful friendly service and superb food that I'd remembered from my first trip there three years ago and the rooms were very much the same (except for updated TVs and new Bose iPod Dock). I stayed in Suite 6 this time which spreads over two floors with sitting room on the first floor, bedroom up a staircase and amazing sunken bath tub and also has it's own private rooftop terrace. I also looked at one of the other rooms (really large suites!) and it appears all are highly designed and unique.

As it was my second trip to Marrakech I was keen to get out and see more out of town Morroco and so they organised an amazing day trip up into the mountains with a great lunch stop and pleasant but not arduous walk in the Atlas mountains. I found this was a great way to get out and see the Moroccan countryside also, which I'd missed first time. The guide drove us on a specially scenic route to make sure, so we saw villages, mining, valleys, the rocky desert as well as forests and we could just about make out the snow line.

If I get round to going back to Marrakech any time soon I'll certainly be booking in here again.

Room Tip: Suggest that you ask about available rooms when you book as they are all different and interesting!
5  Thank Nick O
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We have just returned from our trip to Marrakech, where we stayed in Riad Farnatchi for two nights. 28th and 29th May. We are a family of four, our kids are 2 and 4, we were worried before we arrived that it might not be child friendly or they might get bored, how wrong we were. As soon as we arrived - on foot after our transfer ended at the edge of the medina, we then were met by a man with a cart, who brought our luggage through the narrow alleyways where life was in full colour and we then entered the calm and coolness of Riad Farnatchi.

The owner James, greeted us and showed us to the palatial room 9 on the ground floor. It really is breathtaking, a lounge where they had put our 4year old's bed, but there was still plenty of room even with the large desk, coffee table and comfy chair.
Across the courtyard was our bedroom with a super king size bed, leading on to the dressing room and really impressive bathroom with huge copper bathtub and a separate massive shower.

We ate dinner at the Riad and it felt as if they were catering only for us, in that we asked for some kid's food and they asked what the kids would eat and they had it made for us, brought it to the room along with some canapés for us. The kids loved it! We then had dinner in the restaurant that evening with a monitor on, the food was delicious, it was definitely Moroccan, a good choice of all 3 courses.

Breakfast at the Riad can be taken in your room, in the restaurant or on the roof! We chose to dine beside the swimming pool, which is so ornate, you almost don't want to spoil the way it looks by swimming in it. The breakfast is traditional Moroccan with fresh pancakes, breads with butter and jams.

My wife and I both had had massages from the on-site masseuse and had a hammam, which was vigorous and relaxing in equal measure in the Riad's own cellar hammam.

James has managed to create the ultimate luxury hotel, but with only 9 suites it feels like you are staying at a very successful friend's house who gives you all the hints and tips you need to make sure no time is wasted in getting to know Marrakech and recommends restaurants across the city if you choose not to eat in the Riad, James will help you avoid any tourist traps, and even where to buy anything you might have spotted around the souks, so that you pay the best possible price.

If you are choosing a Riad to stay in during your stay in Marrakech, make it the Riad Farnatchi and you will be longing to return as we are, with or without the kids!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family